Ask a level 155 at the end of NG+

#1 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

see title

#2 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3187 posts) -

How difficult was the NG+ compared to the OG-?

#3 Edited by MonetaryDread (1993 posts) -

I'm rocking a +5 Lightning Zweihander as my main weapon in the game.  The sword does something like 360 base damage, plus another +360 Lightning damage.  It is powerful, but the lightning upgrade path removes stat scaling. So my question is, at the higher levels of strength, is it better for me to stick with the lightning path, or use something like divine or go +15 without any ascention?  If the stat scaling of the weapon does make a certain path more powerful, how much strength (it is normally a strength scaling weapon) am I looking at here?  50?  80?  129?

#4 Posted by KingOfIceland (654 posts) -

Have you tried going through Undeadburg recently? Can you go through areas without breaking a sweator do you still have to be alert at all times?

#5 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

I've almost finished NG+ and I think it was way easier overall because of all the abilities and gear you accumulated in NG. Just a few of the buffed bosses gave me problems - S&O as usual and the Four Kings, one of the easiest bosses in NG, become pretty deadly.

#6 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Why do you hate yourself?

#7 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -

Why?

#8 Posted by spielemusik (8 posts) -

i'm not privy to some of the abbreviations used in these forums, let alone in dark souls forums...i'm a level 38 in dark souls and just beginning basically - what's NG+ mean?

#9 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -
#10 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

@spielemusik: New Game plus.

The first time you start a game is called "New Game". When you finish and start over with the same character, it's called New Game +, aka NG+

#11 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

what does holding a girl feel like?

#12 Posted by heartlessomen (115 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

I'm rocking a +5 Lightning Zweihander as my main weapon in the game. The sword does something like 360 base damage, plus another +360 Lightning damage. It is powerful, but the lightning upgrade path removes stat scaling. So my question is, at the higher levels of strength, is it better for me to stick with the lightning path, or use something like divine or go +15 without any ascention? If the stat scaling of the weapon does make a certain path more powerful, how much strength (it is normally a strength scaling weapon) am I looking at here? 50? 80? 129?

I too am curious about this. i've been masochistically punishing myself by using fist weapons as my primary source of damage and was curious as to whether or not a +15 set of Claws would be better than a +5 set of Lightning Claws...

#13 Posted by JackSukeru (5904 posts) -

Did you enjoy the game?

#14 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -
@slantedwindows said:

He won't know that (see title)
#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I am in Anor. A dude invaded me. I turned the staircase and now hes stuck near the entrance. How long before you think He will leave? Im pretty sure I could kill him (Hes using a sythe) But Im more amused just watching him try to wait me out. 

#16 Edited by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -
#17 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -
#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ok in truth. Why will my game randomly not allowed me to change areas or use a bonfire? And my black separation crystal will light up. But some times no one invades. It just does that for maybe a min or 2..then stops. 

#19 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

How did you manage to defeat fatboy and slim in NG+?

Also, I am still using my lightning spear +3 or +4. I know I need a new weapon, but what do I go for?

#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@GloriousDinosaur said:

How did you manage to defeat fatboy and slim in NG+?

Also, I am still using my lightning spear +3 or +4. I know I need a new weapon, but what do I go for?

What level are ya? Im standing outside of S&O right now. (360 right?) 
#21 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

I am 96 ish. However, I am Australia region (and also about to go for dinner), so thanks though (if I interpret your question correctly) @The_Laughing_Man:

#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@GloriousDinosaur said:

I am 96 ish. However, I am Australia region (and also about to go for dinner), so thanks though (if I interpret your question correctly) @The_Laughing_Man:

I just beat em with two people. Only level 64. Just take down small guy first. If you are being beaten badly just Kite around fatty wiht arrows. 
#23 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

ohhh, good idea. thx man

#24 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@GloriousDinosaur said:

ohhh, good idea. thx man

You will need ALOT of arrows. And just lead him around. 
#25 Posted by mithical (290 posts) -

I just beat Ornstein and Smough in NG+ at SL ~99: 30 Vit / 40 End / 40 Dex / 12 Fai (for heal). I found it easier than the first time around, actually. I used a Lightning Spear +5 and poked out at Smough when I could, which was more often than my NG run thanks to a much higher stamina bar. Eagle Shield +14 kept me safe from multiple attacks at once. I think Smough may be weak to lightning (and Ornstein resists it). For giant Ornstein I stayed in between his legs and 2H'd Quelaag's Fury Sword +5. When he does the buttstomp, switch back to 1H and just block it (Eagle Shield has 75 light res). When he does the slashing backwards jump, make sure you get back under him (hopefully he didn't nick you with it). Be double sure to be completely under his legs when he does the lightning stab, you really don't want to be hit by it though it's not as bad as NG (it one shot me, then).

#26 Posted by Cheesebob (1232 posts) -
#27 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

@slantedwindows said:

He won't know that (see title)

that was the joke. (see my avatar)

#28 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Because someone is attempting to invade. Haven't played the ps3 version yet, but when I sit around to PVP, I'll get 5-7 false alarms before someone actually invades.

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Maginnovision said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Because someone is attempting to invade. Haven't played the ps3 version yet, but when I sit around to PVP, I'll get 5-7 false alarms before someone actually invades.

I got invaded about 5 times last night. All they did was run right at me and use combustion. I killed each and every one of em. 
#30 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

I can't seem to beat the Four Kings on NG+ without getting rocked by all the magic damage they do (even blocking!) it's driving me nuts.

#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great said:

I can't seem to beat the Four Kings on NG+ without getting rocked by all the magic damage they do (even blocking!) it's driving me nuts.

Have you tried summoning the witch? Shes behind the piller on the right. Also if all else fails. SPam ring shield 
#32 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Hmm, didn't even know you could summon the witch. That'd make it so much easier, because even using Havel's Shield and a lot of magic resistance they just tear me apart.

#33 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Maginnovision said:

I got invaded about 5 times last night. All they did was run right at me and use combustion. I killed each and every one of em.

The combustion guys are funny.

#34 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Maginnovision said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Maginnovision said:

O O HEY HEY LOOK AT MY GREAT COMBUSTION. 

The reach my of claymore easily kills them. That or I just use Chaos fireball. 
#35 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

How many times have you died on the way to 155?

(If this isn't a trackable stat then a rough estimate would be fine)

#36 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Maginnovision said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Maginnovision said:

O O HEY HEY LOOK AT MY GREAT COMBUSTION. The reach my of claymore easily kills them. That or I just use Chaos fireball.

Yea. I just throw up my shield and they literally burn themselves out. There are only a few strategies people use, which is kind of why I like the PVP.

#37 Posted by Branwulf (397 posts) -

I beat the game at level 1 ask me anything, wait don't.

#38 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Hmm, didn't even know you could summon the witch. That'd make it so much easier, because even using Havel's Shield and a lot of magic resistance they just tear me apart.

You can only get her if you've pulled her in for Moonlight Butterfly

#39 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

Enemies hit harder and have more hp, but enemy placements and behavior is identical. That is to say, NG+ is way more punishing if you make mistakes, but if you've already memorized the game like I have, it can be a breeze.

#40 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

I'm rocking a +5 Lightning Zweihander as my main weapon in the game. The sword does something like 360 base damage, plus another +360 Lightning damage. It is powerful, but the lightning upgrade path removes stat scaling. So my question is, at the higher levels of strength, is it better for me to stick with the lightning path, or use something like divine or go +15 without any ascention? If the stat scaling of the weapon does make a certain path more powerful, how much strength (it is normally a strength scaling weapon) am I looking at here? 50? 80? 129?

I can't answer this question specifically, but my advice would be to farm rocks and create an alternate upgraded weapon for comparison. If you're able to access the Kiln of the First flame, you should have access to a ton of easily farmable titanite.

#41 Posted by TeamJersey (339 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great: I'm telling you man, pyromancy spell iron flesh and spamming the crystal ring shield kills them very fast on NG+. I was getting killed over and over again then I did that and aced it the first time. Give it a try.

#42 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

@KingOfIceland said:

Have you tried going through Undeadburg recently? Can you go through areas without breaking a sweator do you still have to be alert at all times?

I can do that section in my sleep

#43 Posted by normalpants (166 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

Why do you hate yourself?

babies

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.