Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Ask me Anything - 225 SL new game + mage-knight

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By envane

Getting stuck in on my 2nd playthrough of dark souls , have upgraded many weapons / armor and found most unique loot my first time through .. trying to decipher some of the more intricate NPC plotlines but i sucessfully dealt with lautrec , solaire , big hat logan , and i THINK siegmeyer and sieglinde's plotlines but i think im missing something

soul farming is much easier in new game plus but farming upgrade materials was easier before , ohwell

ask my anything you cant seem to work out from a wiki etc , some things i had to discover myself as they werent very clear about where items were or what triggered events etc

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nasos100
    @envane: is there a good pyromancer / melee build ?
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By envane

see alot of pyromancers invading me , cant say they are as good as pure sorcery damage , but their spells mainly scale by the level of their pyromancers flame and also the chaos spells use humanity to adjust damage , but low int is required so you could build a nice pyromancer with careful planning , the best weapon that goes perfectly with that would be Quelaags Furysword, which mainly uses dexterity for damage but does heaps of added fire damage , plus it also increases with humanity ,, as for shields and armor , if you arent pumping endurance and trying to keep a low weight limit then stick to light armor obviously , and attunement is a good stat , i unlocked 7 slots which was a bit much but the best pyromancy spells use up 2 , and also stacking multple copies of a spell increases the uses etc which might be good for pvp as alot of spells are dodged .. well if the player isgood eheh

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By envane

also if anyone was wondering ..alot of the people invading have been around the soul level 175 -225 range .. ive seen less at this high level at 175 invasions in anor londo and any other endgame area were rampant

id say i won more than 50% of the duels i had , my early ones i quickly learned how little damage my weapons were doing , and also casiting spells on people took some adjustment . and learning to avoid backstabs eheh .. some people just seem to warp behind you heh , most annoying thing to deal with is the ring of fog , or the much more limited hidden self spell , not being able to target makes casting pretty nasty , thats where a nice sweeping attack works wonders as they try to walk around to stab you

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tekmojo

What about huge weapons such as great axes, are they decent for pvp?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By envane

@tekmojo: not sure as i didnt ever have enough streght to use the good ones .. the black knight axe seems to have a amazing 2handed r2 attack .. it has a long charge but it knocks you up in the air for multiple hits , and it throws you off ..if you run behind them while they are charging they bring the axe straight up through you

raw damage wise tho heavy weapons are pretty good and theres alot of them , some even take regular enchantments and get up to +15

you can even halve the stregth requirement if you stick to 2handing it , so those 50 strength weapons can be used effectively at 25str

it all depends ..i tend to hate slow lumbering weapons because youd get stunned easier .. but you can buff your poise alot i guess .. the wolf ring is pretty great for that

also im pretty sure the ring of favor and protection ( from finishing lautrec's chain ) is the best ring .. no wonder it breaks if removed .. sinc the natural stamina you can reach from endurance is 160 . the boost to 196 from that ring .. let alone the equip load and health buff makes it a must .. so the real question for any build is .. what OTHER ring do you want

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By white

SL 225? I see someone's been having a little more souls than it's possible within such a short time =3

JustinIsBlazin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JustinIsBlazin

Ok :). How early can I get to the Anor Londo blacksmith if I have the master key? I really want quelaags fury sword =/

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By envane

@JustinIsBlazin: anor londo needs you to clear sens fortress which needs the 2 bells to be rung to open , so that early :

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Donos

This might not really line up with you build, but are the lightning spear / sunlight spear miracles worthwhile? Or miracles in general?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it worth investing a couple of points into faith just so that I can use the healing miracle?

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Donos

@TheSeductiveMoose: I'd say yes. It's basically 5 extra estus flasks, with the limitation that its cast is very slow so you probably won't use it in combat. On the other hand, you probably don't want to fight with a talisman in one of your weapon slots anyway.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Donos: The slowness of it don't bother me, it'd come in handy when I need to heal outside of combat. Thanks for the answer.
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By envane

@White: i finished first playthrough at 158 and then went to 175 for most of new game+ because thats the old soul level bracket i pvp'd at in demons' , then finally duped to get to 225 to try out higher pvp

of course i glitched the fuck otu of a lot of stuff , i used the dragon killign soldiers for 300 souls to at least level 40 , then making the ghosts in darkroot forest fall of the cliff for almost 2 days into my 100s , farming for various titanite chunks i got a load of souls especially on the black knights in the last area right before the last boss , and the farmable titanite demon , in new game + all of these methods are basicly more than double the souls , to get to 225 i went and used the dragon eye stone glitch , whcih is pretty evil , helped to see the full extent of the pyromancy spells and quelaags sword that use humanity to scale as well , which is pretty evil but not game breaking , i also bought all the items and spells i could find and use etc ,for "research" purposes of course ..

that being said i will probably dump even mor levels in to try out some more armor /weapons then start a new char .. this build isnt ideal anyway , as its basic design before i focused on pvp more was for farming materials hehe

next character i start ill have more of an idea of what wepaons and upgrades i want , and exactly what pvp build i want , and it should be a fun challenge hunting down the items i need with low soul level etc

also many aspects of the game are still annoyingly hard at soul level 225 eheh .

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

Where would I get the items to add electric damage to my +5 Halbard? Also is electric a better choice than fire since a lot of enemies seem weak to fire in Dark Souls? (I've just run the 2nd bell)

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By envane

you need a +10 halberd , or any weapon first , then the giant blacksmith in anor londo can ascend it to lightning with a titanite chunk , youd need 9 chunks total and a titanite slab to get it to +5 lightning ,

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades , the best locations for most chunks are rigth near the end of the game but you will find a few ,, the giants in sens fortress give easy chunks and even a slab, and the black knights around the world will drop them hopefully ,

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Humanity

Oh so basically at this point of the game I shouldn't even worry about it.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By OroJackson

I just killed Ornstein and Smough, got the lord vessel and placed it on the alter, but now I have no idea where to go, as anywhere I go, I just get demolished

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By envane

ater placing the lordvessel you have 4 targets , seath the scaleless in the duke's archives , the bed of chaos in lost Izalith , the four kings in the abyss in new londo ruins , and gravelord Nito in the Tomb of the Giants

all of these areas are fairly difficult and require alot patience and eacgh have some pretty nasty enemies , so good luck.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eclipsesis

Remember the royalty class from Demon souls, and how awesome the falcion+ were specialy since it drew from you magic stat and not STR or DXT, problem is i can't find a similar weapon in Dark Souls you couldn't help a guy out could ya and point me on the right path

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuCTR

What are your stats, and has a level cap been discovered beyond the obvious 99 in all stats point? Obviously you've busted the 145 rumor.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shirogane

Did you find out what the pendant does yet? Or if that pygmy mentioned once in the intro, and utterly forgotten for the rest of the game, is in the game?

I finished my first playthrough last night, SL 60, i'm still one hitting everything so far. I can't believe i forgot to kill Gwyndolin in my first playthrough, guh.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By envane

rumor ? soul level cap is 770something if i recall .. or if anyone wants to try gettign that high

Lvl 225 Wanderer

VIT 52

ATT 28 ( 7 slots)

END 40

STR 20

DEX 50

RES 40 great stat .. horrible diminish returns anywhere past 40

INT 70 didnt need to be this high but i pumped it to increase my magic damage through the roof , though it aslo hasnt seen much return since 40

FAITH 8 ( hehe)

Gear , main hand 1 : quelaags furysword+5 or +10 magic winged spear, also a +15 great scythe with crystal magic weapon cast on it is the most damaging .. but requires me to cast in left hand and i dont really like that.

main hand 2 : Logan's Catalyst , s rank int scaling baby .. that or the crystal one which is higher damage but its crystal .. so im afraid of it breaking

off hand 1 : eagle shield +15 or grass crest shield +15 ( eagle shield is such a nice low weight/strength requirement greatshield )

off hand 2 : dragonslayer greatbow +5 , i know its a bit overkill but i love this bow .. for pvp its ultimately not so great but it was the most useful tool for pve especially in new game +

Armor : Crown of the dark sun , elite knights armor +10 and elite knights gloves + 10 , crimson waistcloth +5

Rings : ring of favor and protection , bellowing dragoncrest ring , or lingering dragonscrest ring if im casting magic weapon and hidden self more often

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By envane

@Shirogane: the pendant is traded to Snuggly the crow for a "Souvenir of Reprisal" (item for ranking up in darkmoon blade covenant)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@envane said:

@Shirogane: the pendant is traded to Snuggly the crow for a "Souvenir of Reprisal" (item for ranking up in darkmoon blade covenant)

That isn't the main function of the Pendant.

There are a lot of rumors flying around right now about it, and no one is quite sure but there is definitely more to it than the Snuggly trade.
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By envane

yeah .. sorry .. thats its only known use so far .. but i assume it is NPC chain or Covenant related .. or like the witches ring .. it adds some dialogue but is ultimately useless

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nadril

So what do you feel the ideal level for PvP is right now? My main character is 105. I've heard 50-60 is where you find most of it right now.. but is there another level set where there is a bunch of it?  

e: or I should ask where is a good spot to invade @105? I need kills to rank up darkwraith :p. 

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Awolf007

@envane, I have an electric +3 claymore and it's only putting out 252 physical & 252 lightning (or so the weapon stats say in my menu.) However it seems that I rarely do more than 100+ damage on strikes. Are my stats too low? Is it because some enemies are more resistant to lightning or physical DMg? I'm level 53 with 26 Str, 20 Dex, and maybe 17 endurance, 18 Vit.,

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By envane

soul level 125 and around that used to be the good low bracket ..175 mid and 225 high .. so thats what i tested at .. i avoided being onlien or played in hollow form for most of the areas where i really wanted to get through it with minimum hassle

especially around 175 i was getting constant invasions in all late game areas , got invaded twice in anor londo while trying to deal with the 2 black knight archers , which made me turn it off while progressing ehhe

i rember at around 100 i waso sitting at the blight-town bottom bonfire , and waiting for invaders there , has a nice area up behind it that serves as an arena

i guess just pick an area that suits your fighting style

being a caster i tried to wait for my attacker in a narrow hallway or something where they couldnt easily dodge my spells

whatever you do , dont waste time bowing , i one shot a few ppl with crystal soul spear that way

sure there are alot of hackers and dupers but i find more "honest " players when you reach the higher soul level brackets that the demons souls pvp community would remember( just look at demons souls pvp builds and most conform to SL 125 etc ) even if they duped souls to get there they are usually trying to fight legitimately .. the lower levels are where you will see stat hacks and shit to troll new players so thats why i avoided it .. but i did make ALOT of ghosts fall off cliffs ehhe

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nadril

125 sounds pretty good then. I have a pretty large bank of souls right now (400k even though I lost 500k earlier hahaha) so I can get myself to 125 real quick. That will be nice too because I'll be able to round out my build a bit more.  

e: or would you recommend I go up to 175? 

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McQuinn

Out of people you've fought, how effective does faith based builds look?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Turambar
    @Awolf007 said:

@envane, I have an electric +3 claymore and it's only putting out 252 physical & 252 lightning (or so the weapon stats say in my menu.) However it seems that I rarely do more than 100+ damage on strikes. Are my stats too low? Is it because some enemies are more resistant to lightning or physical DMg? I'm level 53 with 26 Str, 20 Dex, and maybe 17 endurance, 18 Vit.,

The damage on elemental weapons are fixed, so your stats will not effect it at all.  It is all from enemy resistances.
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By envane

going to try a faith build with ornsteins spear and some cool miracles .. i havent really seen anyone using faith .. only casters ive seen consistently is pyromancers and the occasional sorceror

Nalacin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nalacin

Hi.

Im currantly a lvl 20 sorcerer. Ive placed most of my points into int to boost my dmg, and 1 point to str so its 10 now so i could 1h a long sword.

Im having a hard time killing mobs at because i only have 30 soul arrows. My question is : Is there a magic weapon like the Kris in demon souls that boost my magic dmg or is there a int scaled melee weapon so i dont fail when my soul arrows are gone or to kill the lower mobs.

Last thing i did was killing the "boss" named Capra Demon.

I have read you Can get more soul arrows and get heavy soul arrows, but but i have not found a vendor or the like.

I love the Challenge and loved demon souls, but im a family man now, and i dont have as much time as i used to, so i just want something that Can help me if possible.

Beginning to feel like i have taken the wrong class/build. Is sorcerer a bad choise ? Start lvl wise i know pyromancer is the demons souls royalty class, but sorcerer starts with the lovely soul arrow.

Any help is very welcome,i do love the game, but "stuck" atm, do you have some suggestions to a "easy build" or as mentioned a caster and sorcerer melee weapon which can even things out.

Offtopic: is ore farming difficult ? Read somewhere you Can miss out on ore, just wanna know if i only lose some if i run through the game, i usualy try to kill everything explore everything. Any tip to kill the crystal geckos, cant target them with my soul arrow.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By envane

@Nalacin: theres a few sorcerer vendors ,such as the one you rescue from a house in the lower undead burg area before the capra demon , you unlock it with the residence key (1000 souls undead merchant near the bonfire in undead burg) he will sell you more spells and the bellowing dragon crest ring , which is good damage boost , the best ive seen from a single item in the game , another item is the dark sun crown which i think only adds 10% more damage but its something .

As for running out of spells . basicly if you memorize multiple copies of the same spell you get more charges, so 2 soul arrows will give you 60 charges , its good for the later spells that have limited charges , most spells can be gotten twice at least in one playthrough , with the better or unique spells being one per play through .. as for weapons , i tried a magic winged spear +10 but found it lacking compared to other weapons , the drake sword from the hellkite dragon will serve you well enough until you find a good weapon ,

as for ore farming , dark souls is a lot more forgiving as it gives you some easy sources of ore (despite being on tough enemies) late in the game , crystal geckos are worth trying to get , but dont sweat it too hard

the only ore you will want to make sure not to miss is the various titanite slabs of different colours as there are only 1 of each per game , with exception for regular titanite slabs.

magic weapon and its upgraded versions( the spell you cast on a weapon , you need to cast with the left hand on the right hand weapon ) are much better damage when you add it on a +15 weapon , compared to the other magic weapon types ..

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nadril
    @envane said:

going to try a faith build with ornsteins spear and some cool miracles .. i havent really seen anyone using faith .. only casters ive seen consistently is pyromancers and the occasional sorceror

Have you not seen people casting that slow miracle a lot at your level? I see it now and then and it is one of the most annoying things to deal with.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a crappy question not sure if asked already.. im to lazy to reread just woke up. I'm going to be buying the game, and although I usually don't want to know that im forced to use certain items, i'v read a lot of talk about either take master key or the pendant. Overall they said the pendant can be found in game, however which would you support for a first bases character. I'll probably wined up rerolling anyway..

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By eroticfishcake

How long did it take you finish the game and at what Soul Level? I know it varies but it's still nice to know where the bar is set at. For the record I'm only about 32 hours in at SL 60 or so. Would play more but hey, college work son.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fierrze

Am i playing this game wrong because i chose Thief as a starting class? So far it has been fairly easy but after i got to the sens fortress boss, who just laughed at me trying to hit him with a dagger and threw me off the ledge... Also does this game have any decent bows for a dex character, because it seems upgraded +6 longbow doesn't do any damage. Atm im rolling with full Gold Hemmed, bandit dagger +8 and the longbow. And if i get mobbed i use upgraded scimitar. Any advice (anything else than do a new character : D ) When i played thru Demon Souls with a thief it was pretty challenging but fairly managable (except Flamelurker which was pain in the ass...)

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By envane

@Nadril: yeah that miracle sucks .. especially with fog ring .. but if youre prepared for it then you can deal with it .. plus its a ranged spell so you just sprint when they start casting eheh

@Jmangino: im somewhat sure that the master key can be found in sens fortress ... it just doesnt appear if you already have it , theres a chest there that a wiki said contained the master key , but it was empty for me, so im going to try next game without the master key and confirm if its there or not.

@eroticfishcake: current playtime in newgame+ is 65 hours(and im practicly at a 2nd clear , alot more stuff skipped this time tho) pumping up to soul level 100+ very early made most of the game veyr easy from then on, of course i still had to explore everything for the first time , most of my time wasted was hanging around letting people invade me etc..

@Fierrze: all bows except for the dragonslayer greatbow are "good" for dex , as thats their main stat , of course the damage is limited but the utility of a bow is alot more useful than raw damage but i think a composite bow +15 would be best , the dragonslayer bow scales just as much with strength and needs just as much of it , but the damage on that thing is great ... best thing about bows regardless of their damage and range is poison arrows , perfect for that monster you just dont wanna deal with face to face :D hehe ,, as for your bandit dagger :D , enjoy fighting ornstein and smough with the range on that ehehhe

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.