Beginner Thread

#551 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

^ In other words, a normal day with Dark Souls.

#552 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

I have a quick question about summoning phantoms, how far does the game scale with the partners you call in? Up until this point I had only done it once (Gaping Dragon) but decided I needed to do it for the boss in Anor Londo. The only problem was that I couldn't find anyone, in the end I had to call in Solaire.

#553 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

I have a quick question about summoning phantoms, how far does the game scale with the partners you call in? Up until this point I had only done it once (Gaping Dragon) but decided I needed to do it for the boss in Anor Londo. The only problem was that I couldn't find anyone, in the end I had to call in Solaire.

Apparently it's any player that's within 10% of your level. In other words if you're at level 25 it'll be people between 23 and 27, if you're level 67 it's anyone between 61 and 73.

The same rules apply for invasions, except in special circumstances like the forest covenant.

#554 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

Apparently it's any player that's within 10% of your level. In other words if you're at level 25 it'll be people between 23 and 27, if you're level 67 it's anyone between 61 and 73.

The same rules apply for invasions, except in special circumstances like the forest covenant.

Eventually managed to take the boss, just rocked in with Solaire to draw aggro in the end.

I also had something a little strange happen to me.I was in the painted world last night and got invaded, I used my black crystal to eject him and carried on fighting the Undead Dragon. This continued on before I suddenly got back-stabbed and killed by an invader when I was still occupied by the boss. I didn't gen another prompt about invasion so I was understandably a little annoyed, what gives?!

#555 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

Yo Duders,

I'm at the Gargoyle fight on top of the undead parish. I can't kill these things for the life of me. I watched several videos and one in particular showed the guys SL as like 21. I'm around 13 at the moment. Am I way too low to be trying to take them down? Started as a Bandit and am using the Spider shield and Claymore+3 with leather armor. Should I be grinding levels or just re-attempting the boss constantly?

#556 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: You're fine. Did you talk to solaire earlier (the guy who gives you the White stone)? If you are in human form when you're right outside the fight, you can summon him as a phantom. He makes it very easy.

If you want to do the fight without any assistance, remember to get right in his face and bait out the straight chop that he has and roll to the side and chop his ass off. His buddy will come in, and always keep the two apart. This is harder to do, but use that alleyway by the belltower in front of you when you fisrt enter to bait out some fire and just dodge in between the gargoyles. You can kill one before the other comes by two-handing the claymore and just gettin in there.

#557 Posted by rheiv (5 posts) -

For the gargoyles if you don't have the drake sword I suggest you get it, it makes the fight much easier. (You get it by shooting the tail off of the dragon overlooking the bridge, takes about 30-40ish arrows i think). And if you have a 100% shield you can block all of there damage attacks so as long as you don't get cornered by both of them at once it is very manageable. Also you can cut the tail off of the first gargoyle to get an axe.

#558 Edited by JeevesPleez (332 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@RockmanBionics said:

I also had something a little strange happen to me.I was in the painted world last night and got invaded, I used my black crystal to eject him and carried on fighting the Undead Dragon. This continued on before I suddenly got back-stabbed and killed by an invader when I was still occupied by the boss. I didn't gen another prompt about invasion so I was understandably a little annoyed, what gives?!

Does that work? I didn't think you could banish invaders for some reason. I though that was for summoned players.

#559 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime: Thanks for the help with the Gargoyle fight. I ended up grinding the rats below the Dragon for humanity, became human, and summoned the sun dude to take them out. Its a lot easier when they aren't always focusing on you! (any consequences to his phantom dying during the fight?)

New question. Picked up the Zwiehander (sp?) yesterday...Cool looking sword but man is it S L O W .... Is there any way to increase the speed with which you swing stuff? I really like using the huge swords so I know that they are going to be slower, but this thing is just too slow to use atm.

#560 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: There are no penalties to Solaire dying as a phantom.

As for the Zwiehander, as long as you have the requirements to yield that weapon, it can't be any faster than it currently is. That goes for all weapons.

#561 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: There's nothing bad that comes from Solaire's phantom dying.

Weapons are as fast as they are going to be, don't believe the (long dead) rumors that STR increases the swing speed of weapons. You just have to get used to the speed - claymore types are long-range zoning type weapons that you need to know the exact range of its swings for. Or just get a shitload of poise and whale away.

#562 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

Hey duders, just started this game the other day and I'm having a blast.

So far I've got the Drake Sword, killed the Taurus, Wyvern, Gargoyles and am about to do the boss at the end of Lower Undead Burg. I love having a sword and shield, not too keen on magic or anything like that - but I'll wait and see if that becomes a necessity. I'm looking forward to being able to get a katana or maybe a curved blade.

Just wondering - I've been levelling up, thinking that's a good thing, but then I've read on here and few other places about people trying to keep their level down. What's that about?

I'm currently level 25 or something, mostly focusing on Endurance and Vitality. What's the purpose of keeping your level down?

#563 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Burglarize said:

Hey duders, just started this game the other day and I'm having a blast.

So far I've got the Drake Sword, killed the Taurus, Wyvern, Gargoyles and am about to do the boss at the end of Lower Undead Burg. I love having a sword and shield, not too keen on magic or anything like that - but I'll wait and see if that becomes a necessity. I'm looking forward to being able to get a katana or maybe a curved blade.

Just wondering - I've been levelling up, thinking that's a good thing, but then I've read on here and few other places about people trying to keep their level down. What's that about?

I'm currently level 25 or something, mostly focusing on Endurance and Vitality. What's the purpose of keeping your level down?

So you are not invaded by someone super high levels. 
#564 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Ah right, so it's just to do with invasion.

That's cool really - I'm playing 90% undead and just enjoying the single-player experience for the moment.

I got invaded by someone in front of the gargoyles and got completely whooped. They had some insanely fat armour on, and a lightning spear or halberd - I tried backstabbing them but none of my hits did any damage. I was so outclassed it was hilarious.

#565 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

Huh. I've spent a decent amount of time human and I haven't been invaded yet. I was in the White covenant for a bit which i know decreases the chances, but I would still think it would happen every once and a while.

#566 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: Might be to do with your general connectivity. Do you see many white phantoms around?

I've just joined the White Covenant. Hopefully that'll make my time a little easier. I like the tension of getting invaded, but when you focus on PvE and you're new at the game, it's not so much fun being trashed.

#567 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

What are the benefits of joining covenants? I'm part of the White Covenant even though my character isn't specced out for magic.

Also, I'm still using the Drake sword, I've got quite a few titanite shards and what to start leveling up a weapon, I don't have the stuff to level up my Drake sword and anything else I level up won't be as good as the Drake sword. So is there a good weapon I could start upgrading now and save my stuff, I'm currently in the depths if that helps.

#568 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

@ShadowVirus: the benefits of being in a covenant are pretty dependent on what covenant you are a part of. The Sunbros, for instance, have an easier time getting summoned for helping with boss fights and such. You also get a couple of spells based upon your standing with the covenant, but these require a good amount of faith.The Princess' Guard and the Way of White are similar, but being a member of the Way of white reportedly reduces the likelihood of being invaded.

Other covenants concentrate on the PvP portion of the game, like the forest hunters, blade of the darkmoon, Dark Wraith, Path of the Dragon (although this one has other effects), and Gravelord Servant.

The Chaos servant covenant is unique in that it's benefits are mostly geared towards getting sweet pyromancy spells.

As for the Drake Sword, its always a good idea to start upgrading weapons that you like in preparation of ditching the Drake Sword. Depending on where you are in the game, this may be more or less pertinent. I didn't feel like I needed to get rid of the Drake Sword until I got to Sen's Fortress. A lot of people really like the Claymore or Zweihander, and a good many other people like spears. If you like spears, it may be a good idea to just hang out with the Drake Sword until you find the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress.

#569 Posted by cwilly (20 posts) -

Stupidest Magic Question Ever

I have a lvl 25 pyromancer and I can't get any sorceries to work. I've attuned the spells, have the minimum INT requirement, and have the sorcery catalyst equipped. Why the Hell can't I cast Soul Arrow or Magic Weapon?? Thanks for the help

Loving the game, besides that. Can't wait to get those soul arrows functioning to resume my cheapshottery of the Gaping Dragon.

#570 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I just started this game and I don't know what the broccoli I'm doing. I just got out of the first area, and now I'm on some nice, grassy plains. I keep trying to go through to this one area with a bunch of tombstones with skeletons, and I keep getting slaughtered. Before, I went down in this cave area and kept getting raped by ghosts. I don't know where I'm going, or what I'm doing! I also lost all of my souls underground by those ghosts.

#571 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@Napalm said:

I just started this game and I don't know what the broccoli I'm doing. I just got out of the first area, and now I'm on some nice, grassy plains. I keep trying to go through to this one area with a bunch of tombstones with skeletons, and I keep getting slaughtered. Before, I went down in this cave area and kept getting raped by ghosts. I don't know where I'm going, or what I'm doing! I also lost all of my souls underground by those ghosts.

You chose two paths which are supposed to be visited at higher levels. Look for a stone stairway up (from the bonfire), you'll find some skeletons in armor there. Go up the stairs to the big stone tunnel-bridge thingy and then you'll figure out where to go.
#572 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:

@Napalm said:

You chose two paths which are supposed to be visited at higher levels. Look for a stone stairway up (from the bonfire), you'll find some skeletons in armor there. Go up the stairs to the big stone tunnel-bridge thingy and then you'll figure out where to go.
EDIT: Alright, I see the staircase you were talking about. It leads to a castle! 

Yes, this area isn't as difficult, but I still died after taking out about ten or fifteen of those bastards.
#573 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -
@cwilly: Are you having trouble with the gaping dragon? I really can't tell, so I'll explain it anyways. He's incredibly easy. He's probably the boss that has the easiest force-able loop that leads to instant win. Bait him into slamming his head down, then run a wide arc around his arms (to avoid being grabbed), then follow his tail as he does a head charge EVERY time after the head slam. Then proceed to an easy 25k. 

For the sorcery, I dunno. What catalyst do you have equipped? Magic weapon cannot work on certain weapons (dragon weapons, certain ascended weapons, boss weapons, etc).  
#574 Posted by manbot47 (226 posts) -

@Buckfitches: i suggest stripping off all your armor, you'll need the extra mobility. Plus for a long time his strikes are strong enough to one-hit kill regardless of armor. Just hug him and circle strafe til you backstab him to death

#575 Posted by manbot47 (226 posts) -

@handlas: the higher your humanity the higher the drop rate. And you can also use them as another estus flask, one should completely refill your health

#576 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

2 questions;

Does improving shields effect their block stats?

When I ascend a weapon to say divine (you can sub in any of the other enhancements though), am I doing regular damage, plus blessed damage, or does my physical damage get replaced by blessed damage?

#577 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik: upgrading shields only increases their stability and their (lol) attack stats. Stability is probably the most important stat you can get out of a shield, but upgrading will not, for instance, make the grass crest shield into a 100% physical resist shield, and likewise with elemental resistances.

as for ascending weapons, a weapon will still deal physical damage along with whatever damage you're ascending to. For Lightning and Fire weapons, you lose scaling and the weapon does as much or more elemental damage as it does physical. For magic (enchanted, divine, occult) you lose some physical damage in exchange for magic damage. You also gain scaling in either int or faith, but lose most scaling in dex and strength. Chaos is similar to fire and lightning, except damage scales based on the amount of humanity you have.

You can learn most of this by hitting X (xbox) or square (ps3) when you are at the weapon ascension screen, highlighting what you want to ascend. The buffs the weapon receives are in blue and the debuffs are in red.

#578 Posted by jackshan (17 posts) -

Its Awesome and Just look pretty :

#579 Posted by MysteriousFawx (383 posts) -

When you read a message left by orange soapstone, if you hit Back or Select depending on your console it opens a window to rate the message instantly. I literally only discovered this today and it saves so much time... FREE HUMANITY FOR EVERYONE!

#580 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

Just about to pick this up today and have some questions. I've played Demon's Souls so I have an idea of how the general game play is, but I'm trying to decide how to shape my character in the early going. In Demons I went with a pretty basic fast sword, shield, and some magic build that relied mainly on rolling. I'd like to try something different this time around. I'm thinking about going for heavy armor which I would think would have be putting points into strength,but I don;t want to pidgeon hole myself into a certain type of weapon early on. In Demons, It felt like you could either go STR or DEX to get the most out of the specific weapon types, does that concept apply here, or should I rank them up evenly?

Is going for a dual wielding style as crazy as it sounds, or should I stick with a shield for my first play through?

If I don't plan on using much magic should I bother with INT or Faith?

Sorry for the vague questions but I just don't want to waste any souls or make any dumb character build mistakes early on. Thanks for the help.

#581 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

@carnifexseverian: Level up STR and DEX equally. I think the bonuses stop applying after 40 for DEX but it should be high enough to equip all the weapons (provided that you've got enough STR as well). Use a shield for your first run. If you're going to dual wield you probably want to wear lighter armour instead so you can dodge in lieu of blocking with a shield. Don't bother with INT or Faith unless you want to play some sort of holy knight (some weapons rely on INT and Faith to be effective but not all).

#582 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

@carnifexseverian: If you want to focus on heavy, slow weapons such as hammers or greatswords then put points into strength, if you want fast, high damaging weapons like Katanas then pump your dex up to 40 quickly. Make sure to look at the Parameter Bonuses to se how much a weapon would benefit from the different stats. Most Dex weapons don't require a lot of DEX to weild, but give you a nice damage bonus for putting a lot into it. STR weapons on the other hand seldom get as much of a bonus from stats, and require a lot of STR to wield, but also pack a mean punch. It can be good to only have to hit a enemy one time to kill it after all.

These tips are best if you just want to go for a specific weapon type though, there are also other types like lightning and Fire weapons. These are powerful, powerful enough in fact to get you through the entire game on a first time through when fully upgraded, but they don't have any stat scaling at all so you would be wasting points if you where to put more points into the stats, than what was required for you to wield it in the first place.

Example: a "Big Sword" requires 24 STR and 18 DEX to wield. You get those stats and then make it into a Lightning weapon. Any additional point spent in either STR or DEX at this point doesn't help you in any way at all because a lightning weapon's damage is set.

There are also other types of weapons such as "Magic" or "Holy". These change their Parameter Bonuses to deal magic damage either based primarily on your Intelligence stat or your Faith stat, while keeping just a little bit of scaling for your STR and DES.

There are also "Unique" weapons that you upgrade with a rare material called Twinkling Titanite (which is a lot easier to get a hold of since the recent patch). These weapons can be upgraded to +5 and are often powerful enough to warrant using for a majority of the game, if you can get one since they often drop from non respawning enemies.

About Armor: If you want to wear heavy armor what you need is a lot of "Endurance" since it increases your maximum equipment weight. Like in Demon's Souls if you have less than 50% of your maximum you'll be able to move quicker, though not as quick as you could in that game. if you can keep it below 25% you'll be able to roll the fastest. You might want to consider increasing you maximum weight limit by using certain rings if you want to both wear heavy armor, and roll relatively quickly.

Another change from Demon's Souls is that armor pieces have a "poise" value. The more poise you have the more damage you can take before you're staggered, this can be quite useful if you're also wielding slow weapons.

You can upgrade most armors to +10 at most, quite a few "unique" armors require Twinkling Titanite.

About Magic: There are three types of magic in the game, each require a certain item to be equipped to use, such as a Catalyst for sorceries. Sorcery and Miracles are similar to how they were in Demon's Souls, with Miracles having a few more offensive spells this time around. INT is required to use and increases the effectiveness of Sorcery, FAITH does the same for Miracles.

The third type of magic is called Pyromancy and use an item called a Pyromancy Flame that you have to equip in order to use. The Pyromancy Flame can be upgraded by paying souls to the person selling Pyromancy spells, it can be upgraded to +15, then ascended to a stronger version which in turn can be upgraded to +5. This is the only way to increase the strength of the spells as they are not dependant on any stat. Because of this, basically any character can use Pyromancy so long as they can put the souls in to upgrade the glove. The drawbacks of Pyromancy is their often limited range and lesser number of uses compared to Sorcery as well as a few bosses having complete immunity to the element.

When using any kind of magic you'll want to put points into "Attunement" to increase the number of spell slots that you have, as there is no MP in Dark Souls. Instead every spell have a limited number of uses, and you can slot more than one at a time to increase this number.

Fun fact: Points put into DEX slightly increases your spell casting speed, the change is so slight that it's probably only to be considered for the really high levels.

In short: If you want a character with heavy armor, focus on Endurance and Health, but make sure to get the necessary stats for the weapon you want to use. Lightning weapons are awesome and unless you want to try any of the other kinds of weapons, upgrading a normal +10 weapon into one when you reach the right blacksmith is a good way to go. Unless you'd rather focus on the other types of magic, get yourself some pyromany, a little fire has never hurt anyone important.

Hope this helps! I have a pic that might help you understand how upgrading works here. Some guy made it, I claim no ownership.

#583 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

Awesome info guys, I truly appreciate it. I'm sure I'll use that upgrading chart RockmanBionics, I'll be avoiding the wiki as much as possible but I don't mind peaking at the stuff like weapon upgrades. I think I will skip the duel wielding for now, as cool as it sounds, it also sounds very frustrating for a first time play through. Since I already went the fast rolling route in Demons, I'd like to check out some heavy armor in Dark.

I'm thinking about possibly dabbling in Miracles as I've pretty much avoided them in Demons. So Attunement is a separate stat which effects magic slots for both miracles and spells?

It sounds like my safest bet will be to dump points into END and VIT early on, with some STR sprinkled in.

Alright off to pick up the game, wish me luck, I'm sure I'll be back in this thread with more questions soon.

#584 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

@carnifexseverian: I've tried dual wielding a little bit, it's pretty much worthless outside of a few weapons that take advantage of it and the novelty factor. It's probably doable, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've become very familiar with the game, or if you're just straight-up crazy.

Attunement increases your spell slots. Spell slots are used for every kind of magic (Sorcery, Miracles and Pyromancy) so if you, for example, have 3 slots you could have 1 Pyromancy Spell and 2 Miracles. Most of the time 1 spell takes up 1 slot, the few exceptions are particulary powerful Pyromancy and Miracles that take up 2 slots. Each spell has a limited number of uses which are recharged when you rest at a bonfire (checkpoint), but you can slot more of the same kind if you have them.

There aren't a lot of offensive Miracles early on, or at all, so if that's what you want your best bet would be joining the Warriors of Sunlight covenant, though it could be difficult to find if you're not following a guide (also those Miracles require 20 FAITH and up, so even that requires a bit of commitment). Otherwise it's perfectly fine to just use Miracles for support. Heal, for instance, can be very useful if you're being summoned to other player's worlds since you can't heal yourself by normal means as a phantom.

#585 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

Well just beat the Taurus Demon, gonna take a breather. So far haven't leveled up too much. I found Astora's straight sword early on and boosted faith to meet the requirements, sword seems to be treating me pretty well so far, ended up purchases Heal as well.

I started out Reverse Hollowing whenever I could, but after getting killed twice by black phantoms I stopped doing that. I couldn't even damage the first guy, I was hitting him but he wasn't losing any health. Second guy one shotted me with a splash damage fire spell. Being invaded was fun and tense but I think I'll skip it until I'm a little more familiar with the game.

Should I even bother Reverse Hollowing? Not to open a bag of worms but what are the benefits? When I stopped I had 4 humanity but wasn't quite sure if I should do any thing with them or not. I hear they increase your drop rate but I'm not to sure if I need to be "human" or not to have that work.

Having a blast so far though.

#586 Edited by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2100 posts) -

@carnifexseverian: I only reverse hollow to kindle bonfires or to summon an npc and/or another player for a boss fight, after that i rush to hollow myself so that I cannot be invaded. I'd keep playing the game hollowed for now until you get used to the game, then try reverse hollowing to dabble in the pvp side of things.

There are benefits to killing invasions or killing the invaded, you'll receive their soul total at the time of them dying, but mostly it is influenced by what covenant you are a member of, some allow the player to steal humanity for example. I wouldn't want you to go to a wiki if your playing this game blind but there are a couple that deal with every aspect of the game including covenant and their online/pvp bonuses.

#587 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

@RhombusOfTerror: Good to know. I'll steer clear of the PvP side of things for now. I think I joined the covenant of the cleric right in the beginning at Fire Shrine bonfire. So I need to be Reversed Hollowed to kindle, which from what I gather doubles the amount of flasks you get.

It may seem odd that I'm asking these questions on a board but trying to go through the game somewhat blind at the same time, but I just want to make sure I have some of the mechanics down and leave the rest for me to discover.

I watched when Ryan & Vinny played up to the Taurus Demon, so I kind of knew what to expect. I expect to die quite a bit from here on out.

#588 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

@carnifexseverian: The covenant you joined is the most basic covenant, all it does is supposedly pair you up close to other players in the same "network", making co-op easier to find and invasions rarer. I don't think anyone knows for sure how well it works though.

What's good about it is that there are no penalties for abandoning it should you come across another one you want to join.

Speaking of having mechanics down, should you ever accidentally attack a friendly NPC and make them hostile there is now a way to undo that by paying a certain NPC souls (The cost is 500 X your level). Thought you might want to know that so that you don't just decide to put them down, then and there. Attacking/Killing NPC's and abandoning or betraying most covenants causes 'sin' by the way, which might be good to know.

#589 Posted by carnifexseverian (69 posts) -

@RockmanBionics: Definitely something I will keep in mind, thanks.

Right now I'm more or less just exploring, I'm pretty sure I need to take out the gargoyles on top of the church. I faced them once and felt I did ok for my first attempt. Now I'm just checking out my other paths seeing what treasure I can find and grabbing the low hanging fruit.

I believe I'm in the Catacombs right now fighting skeletons.

#590 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Just beat Dark Souls for the first time. What does NG+ offer aside from amped up difficulty, any new gear?

#591 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

That is a good question - the difficulty will be amped up - there will not be any new gear per se, but if you can craft different weapons from the same souls - so you have the opportunity to craft different weapons. You also get the enjoyment of kicking a little butt and breezing through some areas that knocked you in your first play through.

#592 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@EverydayOdyssey said:

That is a good question - the difficulty will be amped up - there will not be any new gear per se, but if you can craft different weapons from the same souls - so you have the opportunity to craft different weapons. You also get the enjoyment of kicking a little butt and breezing through some areas that knocked you in your first play through.

Even though the enemies are stronger, the only time the game actually gets harder in NG+ is Four Kings.

Oh god fuck those guys.

#593 Posted by guntabon (5 posts) -

Remember, although strength and dex can help with power, the best way to have damage is to upgrade your weapon. Do it with a weapon that you feel comfortable with, and think you can use for the majority of the game. (Drake sword is good till sens fortress. After that it's horrible.) Also, I beat the game with the Pyromancers robes. I find that upgraded it does a lot of protection, while allowing quick movement. Thanks, hope I helped.

#594 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

Watch out for sticky white stuff

#595 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

@rubberluffy: Hi mate just saw you were online and had been chatting in this forum so had a question for you. Can you ever sell any of your equipment in Dark Souls. If not is it not worth hanging on to anything which is not better than you already have. I think I am stuck in the Skyrim mode of pick everything up cos it will be worth cash later.

Also is there ever any point not cashing in your souls of lost undead?

#596 Posted by rubberluffy (459 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@rubberluffy: Hi mate just saw you were online and had been chatting in this forum so had a question for you. Can you ever sell any of your equipment in Dark Souls. If not is it not worth hanging on to anything which is not better than you already have. I think I am stuck in the Skyrim mode of pick everything up cos it will be worth cash later.

Also is there ever any point not cashing in your souls of lost undead?

Frampt in Firelink Shrine (after Anor Londo, I believe) can be fed items which gets you souls in return. It's usually not worth it, unless you really enjoy the novelty of watching him eat Dung Pies. Better to just dump everything in the bottomless box to clear up your inventory, you'll probably get more souls from doing a boss at that point, instead of feeding him a longsword worth only 50 souls.

#597 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

So I'm making my way through Dark Souls for the first time and I'm currently in Anor Londo. I have a couple of quick questions to ask, so I figure I should put them in this thread (hopefully someone still checks here!).

First off, I've been thinking of upgrading my +10 battle axe to lightning when I get to the blacksmith in the area. Are there any notable downsides to doing that? Like are there a lot of enemies who are strong against lightning after Anor Londo?

Secondly, should I start pumping more points into strength as a knight? I already got my endurance up to 40, while my vitality is at 25 and my strength at 16. I've been picking up some pretty good weapons/shields but they often have strength requirements in the 30s. At the same time, I figure putting points into vitality is also important since I'm a slower character who goes head to head with enemies. Is there one I should prioritize more at this point?

#598 Posted by mlarrabee (2949 posts) -

@amlabella: I started for the first time at the beginning of this month, played through three times, and S-ranked it a few days ago. I played a so-called "Quality build," meaning I kept my Dexterity and my Strength fairly close.

Lightning is good against nearly everything throughout the entire game. A +5 Lightning Zweihander, Claymore, or Bastard Sword is invaluable, though I found myself using my +15 Uchigatana nearly exclusively during my second and third playthroughs. It's a Dex weapon, but even a tank would find it superb. Wielded two-handed, that thing destroyed the hardest boss on NG+ for me, without batting an eye.

Once you add Lightning or Fire to a weapon it loses the bonus from your stats, but it gains a huge damage bonus from its permanent elemental effect. My advice is to find a high damage weapon, but that doesn't necessarily have stat bonuses, (the Black Knight Halberd is a ton of fun) and put just enough points into Strength to be able to use it. You'll have to let your Vitality boosting fall by the wayside for a while, but there's nothing like doing 500 damage without parrying, riposting, or backstabbing.

Carry a +5 Lightning and a +5 Fire (or a +10-15 Uchigatana and some Charcoal Pine Resin) and you'll be set for life.

Once you hit thirty in most stats, the bonuses you gain by adding more points into that stat drop dramatically. Vitality and Endurance don't have that cutoff point as much as the others, but the difference between thirty and fifty in Dexterity, Strength, Attunement, and so on isn't that great. (Apparently, it's called the "Soft Cap.")

#599 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

@mlarrabee: Awesome, thanks for the tips! I was actually eyeing that Black Knight Halberd in my inventory, so I'll go ahead and start increasing my strength stat in order to carry a more powerful weapon, and I'll also go ahead and work on a lightning ascension for one of my weapons. I can always switch between weapons if need be.

And since I try to focus so much on blocking and playing it safe, I figure I'll be able to get away with just the 25 vitality for a little while, especially with more stamina for blocking thanks to my 40 endurance.

#600 Posted by dudeglove (7825 posts) -

Maybe a lot of you know this already. Just wanted to share a method of how to deal with the Capra Demon:

- Have enough strength to dual wield the zweihander you get from the graveyard by firelink

- Buy a whole bunch of firebombs from the undead merchant (50 or so)

- Get Grass Crest shield

So make your way through lower undeadburg to the fog gate. The boss area itself is roofless, so guess what? Walk back a bit to the start of the small bridge and angle up the camera and start chucking firebombs over the wall. If you're coming from the aqueduct shortcut you only need to deal with the two dogs. The three undead thiefs won't aggro while you're throwing the bombs(unless you walk back too far). Aim for the far left corner, which is where the first dog spawns behind the fog gate (it seems it's at the top of the stairwell in the Capra's room). You'll know if you kill it. Once you get the first one done you've already made the fight a bunch easier. Try chucking more into the center to get the second one. Once you get the two dog kills, cross the gate, book it up the stairs to the left (where the first dog was sitting), kite the capra demon up them, drop down and get space between you and him. If you didn't get the second dog (which spawns on the ground), he'll follow you up the steps faster than the capra so you can take him out.

Now for the zweihander/grass crest shield part. A two-handed R2 attack with the zweihander actually staggers this bastard. So just hit him 4 times with the R2 attack and that's it. His attack is interrupted, and your stamina regenerates in time to hit him again. That's it. Now get on with enjoying the rest of the game.

It's even possible to kill the Capra Demon from behind the fog gate, but takes forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.