Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Beginner Thread

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @LordXavierBritish:  Hmm weird. Should he be sitting around the bon fire with the other guy or is he somewhere else?
    MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By MezZa

@Sackmanjones:He'll be down by the girl who enhances your estus flasks. Right before the elevator to New Londo. He just sits there across from her staring at her.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By punisherkaos

@Tennmuerti: cool ive already cleared the forest killed the hydra and the butterfly and got about 14 purple moss clumps think ill go to the asylum for that ring how do u get back to the asylum anyway?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@punisherkaos said:

@Tennmuerti: cool ive already cleared the forest killed the hydra and the butterfly and got about 14 purple moss clumps think ill go to the asylum for that ring how do u get back to the asylum anyway?

Ride the elevator up to the Undead Chapel but jump off onto the roof in front of you as soon as you see daylight. Go to the cliff on the right and at the very end you can roll onto an archway that is sticking out. Follow that up and you'll find a staircase that leads to Snuggly the Crow's nest. You'll get a prompt to curl up in a ball in the nest and if you wait there a while eventually Snuggly will pick you up and take you back to the Asylum. 

@Sackmanjones said:
    @LordXavierBritish:  Hmm weird. Should he be sitting around the bon fire with the other guy or is he somewhere else?

He is down where the Firekeeper is. At the bonfire go to the left of the man on the rock and you'll find a staircase down. There you should find both him and the Firekeepr.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#155  Edited By cinemandrew

This thread has been super helpful so far. Thanks to all the more experienced players helping out us noobs.

Anyway, I had a really weird experience earlier, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was normal, or just a glitch. I had been running back and forth between the undead burg bonfire, and the bonfire just above the blacksmith to farm souls. My last time through, I was coming from the blacksmith, and as soon as I passed through the small archway just before the side entrance to the cathedral, it fogged over. I killed the enemies in the immediate area, and then tried to go back through the archway, but I couldn't. It didn't give me a button prompt or anything. It was like I had entered a boss arena, where the fog covers all the exits, and you can't leave the area. I looked around in the cathedral, and noticed that the elevator was similarly blocked off. FYI, I had already cleared out the 2 mini-bosses earlier, but have not beaten the gargoyles. I proceeded to clear out the knights in the cathedral, and then checked the archway again. This time it was clear.

I have never seen this happen before, or since. At first I thought that maybe this was what happened when someone invaded your world (I'm pretty sure I was human at the time), but I figured they would notify you of such an event. I'm guessing it was just a glitch, and I got lucky that it just happened the one time, and disappeared quickly.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cinemandrew: It sounds like what happens when you summon a white phantom or get invaded. Possibly a botched invasion?
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By cinemandrew

@LordXavierBritish: That was my other thought. Does the game normally notify you when you're being invaded? I don't remember seeing any message. It would be pretty funny if the first time I was invaded, the guy died before he even reached me.

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#158  Edited By supaman900s

@cinemandrew- same exact thing happened to me at that very same spot, only difference being I already had successfully summoned a phantom that was helping me clear that area.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cinemandrew said:

@LordXavierBritish: That was my other thought. Does the game normally notify you when you're being invaded? I don't remember seeing any message. It would be pretty funny if the first time I was invaded, the guy died before he even reached me.

The only time it doesn't notify you is if the Blades of the Darkmoon are after you, and that early in the game it wouldn't be possible. My best guess is someone tried to invade you and their connection cut out or something.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#160  Edited By Nate

@silentghost227 said:

I am pretty sure those knights only parry when they are holding their rapiers out straight. Just wait for them to put their rapier down and they shouldn't parry you.

Yeah, that parry can F you up good, but when I use my spear +1 that usually gets through or if he does deflect he doesn't damage me.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoeMarsden: Can you add some of this stuff to the OP?

Specifically can you add that using your Estus Flask heals white phantoms because more people need to know this.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By cinemandrew

@supaman900s: I may have inadvertently summoned someone and not realized it, I suppose. I'd hate to think I'm that absent-minded, but it's easy to get distracted with this game.

@LordXavierBritish: You're probably right. Thanks for the help.

Also, in the spirit of this thread, I'd like to offer my own beginner advice, since this took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out. When you loot humanity off of an enemy, you have to go into your inventory and use it in order to activate it. I had 9 of them stocked up, and was wondering why my humanity counter wasn't going up each time. Doh. In the same vein, I'm finding, it's a good idea to keep a couple of them in your inventory, so if you do lose all your humanity, you've always got spares.

cowdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#163  Edited By cowdrunk

I've been trying to get a magic weapon for a wile, playing a sorcererish character and it would be nice to have an int based weapon for backup. But I can't seem to find any frigin green shards to upgread my weapons to "magical," could anyone please direct me to an area where I could find a couple.

Xael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Xael

@cowdrunk said:

I've been trying to get a magic weapon for a wile, playing a sorcererish character and it would be nice to have an int based weapon for backup. But I can't seem to find any frigin green shards to upgread my weapons to "magical," could anyone please direct me to an area where I could find a couple.

Slugs at the bottom of blighttown. Also slimes in the sewers, but slugs drop 5 at the time.

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By JoeMarsden

@LordXavierBritish said:

@JoeMarsden: Can you add some of this stuff to the OP? Specifically can you add that using your Estus Flask heals white phantoms because more people need to know this.

I was thinking about doing just that. Sadly, it's 7:20am right now and I have to get ready to leave the house. I'll do it when I can!

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By mitter

I started as cleric and wanted to go as some kind of strenght/faith-based character. So now my problem is, that apparently the divine weapon upgrade (which I planned to do) would erase the strenght-multiplier but enhance magic/faith.

It doesn't seem to pay off if I go with divine. Which other upgrades would fit, are there special weapons with faith and strenght multipliers to be found or is there something that would work with that kind of character, or should I skill in another direction?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Chop

@mitter: I don't like endorsing this because it's boring as hell and everyone does it but...just make a lighting weapon. Goes with any build and they do insane amounts of damage. Most popular choice seem to be the Uchi (Gotten by killing the first merchant) or the Claymore (A drop right under the red dragon).

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By mitter

@Chop: Lightning claymore sounds good, thx.

And yet another question: I'm in the sewers and I'm cursed. What's the fastest way to get rid of that?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Chop

@mitter: Fastest way is to head back up to the woman merchant in the sewer tunnel. She'll have some items that let you get rid of your curse. Cheapest way to head back to the tutorial area and trade a cracked red eye orb with Snuggly (the crow that wants warm items).

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#170  Edited By N7

Can you sell anything ever?

sanBASHi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By sanBASHi

@N7 said:

Can you sell anything ever?

yes after u rang the 2nd bell ( after defeating quelaag in the depths), there i a long neck something in firelink shrine, which u can feed item in exchange for souls

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#172  Edited By N7

@sanBASHi:

Thanks! Excited to ring the second bell now. :)

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By mitter

Thx Chop, you're really helping me out at the moment^^

So I just beat the gaping dragon and there's absolutely no chance for me to make it through blighttown (can't even beat the first guy...). Is there any alternative you would suggest? Which level did you have as you entered the town?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#174  Edited By Cincaid

After 30+ tries on Capra Demon I feel I'm slowly going insane and need a break. I know the basic strategy for him (roll to evade his initial dual-strike, take care of dogs, kill Capra), but I just can't beat him. I'm getting more and more frustrated, and feel I needed a break because I felt I was just doing worse on each try.

So I guess my question is; I was thinking of trying to get someone summoned to my game when I try him later tonight. How exactly do I do that? I guess I need to be Human for it, but do I need a specific item, or just hope that I find a summoning text outside his room? I think it's correct that if I'm Hollow I can only enter someone else's game?

Thanks for answering, please help me with this frustrating part. :(

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By mitter

@Cincaid: Yep, you have to human. Then you just look for a sign, that's all you can do.

From what I have experienced, it's a pretty crowded place and you should have no problem finding at least one phantom to help you. (I helped out a few times myself and most of the time it was a party of 3)

crabbiTScot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By crabbiTScot

Hi all! 2 very quick noob questions lol 1) how do I beat the Taures Demon - he keeps kicking my ass! 2 ) at one point I had 10 flask, now only 5. Anyone got a step by step guide to get 10 again? Cheers!

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By mitter

@crabbiTScot said:

Hi all! 2 very quick noob questions lol 1) how do I beat the Taures Demon - he keeps kicking my ass! 2 ) at one point I had 10 flask, now only 5. Anyone got a step by step guide to get 10 again? Cheers!

1) The easiest way is just to use jump attacks. Climb the tower, jump + R1 and repeat. 3 attacks should be enough. He is also weak to fire.

2) Kindle to enhance the bonfire (though you have to be human and you must offer 1 humanity)

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Cincaid

@mitter:

Cheers man! I also realized I might not be ready to face him. I'm only level 17 (thanks to Capra I also lost roughly 14k souls and 4 humanity), and the only really good item I have is the Drake Sword. Maybe I should grind some levels and upgrade some stuff before I try again?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By MezZa

@mitter said:

I started as cleric and wanted to go as some kind of strenght/faith-based character. So now my problem is, that apparently the divine weapon upgrade (which I planned to do) would erase the strenght-multiplier but enhance magic/faith.

It doesn't seem to pay off if I go with divine. Which other upgrades would fit, are there special weapons with faith and strenght multipliers to be found or is there something that would work with that kind of character, or should I skill in another direction?

There's an occult upgrade path that is better faith scaling than divine. Still hurts str and dex, but str and dex scaling seems to be weaker by comparison anyway. Lightning is currently best all around though.

@mitter said:

So I just beat the gaping dragon and there's absolutely no chance for me to make it through blighttown (can't even beat the first guy...). Is there any alternative you would suggest? Which level did you have as you entered the town?

You could go to darkroot garden. There's two bosses there that you can fight, some gear, and plenty of enemies. If you've already done that then blight town is probably the best option, so you'll just have to improve your gear and practice the guys down there. I was around level 30 when I entered the first time, but I still got my ass kicked. It's more important to have the gear and proper supplies to deal with poison than to have a high level.

crabbiTScot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By crabbiTScot

Thanks mitter!!

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By mitter

@Cincaid said:

@mitter:

Cheers man! I also realized I might not be ready to face him. I'm only level 17 (thanks to Capra I also lost roughly 14k souls and 4 humanity), and the only really good item I have is the Drake Sword. Maybe I should grind some levels and upgrade some stuff before I try again?

Hm, if you find no help, then try get up the stairs and most important, kill the dogs first. I've read that capra itself is not that hard at all, it's mainly the dogs. I had about the same level as you but I guess upgrade some stuff is never wrong , though there's nothing better than a helping hand on that boss :P@MentalDisruptionsaid:

@mitter said:

There's an occult upgrade path that is better faith scaling than divine. Still hurts str and dex, but str and dex scaling seems to be weaker by comparison anyway. Lightning is currently best all around though.

@mitter said:

You could go to darkroot garden. There's two bosses there that you can fight, some gear, and plenty of enemies. If you've already done that then blight town is probably the best option, so you'll just have to improve your gear and practice the guys down there. I was around level 30 when I entered the first time, but I still got my ass kicked. It's more important to have the gear and proper supplies to deal with poison than to have a high level.

Hm, maybe I'll try an occult halberd or mace. Sounds interesting, even it's not that powerful.

Ah, that garden. Been there once but felt too low. But if I come to think of that now, it could work.

Just got plenty of souls from helping out people with the gaping dragon. It's a great way to get souls, 12,5k each time, which is a lot for me.

thx for the help!

@crabbiTScot: np :)

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By buttersdaman000

Ok, so I shot the dragon tail 25+ times and I still dont have the drake sword. Is there a specific part of the dragon tail im supposed to shoot or what?

Also the sword immediately appears in my inventory right? Or do I have to pick it up?

So can somebody just walk me through step by step.....

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Cincaid

@mitter: One last question! I'm now standing outside the white fog that leads to Carpa Demon, and sure enough there are plenty of summoning "words" on the ground. However, every time I try to summon someone it just says "summoning failed" after a while. Do I have to summon someone and then enter the fog before they show up, or can/should they show up outside the fog as well? Don't want to head in there alone again, heh.

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By mitter

@Cincaid: Just wait outside til they show up. Apparently it often fails... I guess you just have to wait until it's successful :/

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By bcjohnnie

@buttersdaman000: Keep shooting, you just have to be patient... as long as he reacts every time you shoot the tail, you will get it eventually... And yes, it just shows up in your inventory once you hit the tail enough.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Cincaid

@mitter: Alright, so I finally managed to summon a guy, but unfortunatly I died (again) within 10seconds. After that I got so upset that I just yelled "FUCK IT, CHARGE!", and I FUCKING FINALLY KILLED IT! *dances*

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By mitter

@Cincaid: Congrats :)

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#188  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Where do I find covenants? I would like to join one but have yet been able to.

crabbiTScot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By crabbiTScot

Woot!! Just beat the Taurus Demon!!!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#190  Edited By jacksukeru

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Where do I find covenants? I would like to join one but have yet been able to.

Rather than give a specific explaination I'd like to point you to this page.

There are some weird-ass joining conditions like using the "pray" emote (that all classes don't start with but can get later on) in specific spots when certain conditions are met so I'd definetly recommend using this guide. The "Blade of the Darkmoon" section contains a story spoiler I think, but otherwise it's nothing major.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
    deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How do I survive a player invasion? I got invaded for the first time last night, but the guy just appeared as a ghost. I couldn't attack or anything. And there was like a swarm of insects or something. Then ninjas attacked, and I died. It didn't help that I was just entering a new area, so I had no idea what was part of the level and part of the invasion.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#192  Edited By D_W

OK so three questions:

I tried using the items that imbue your weapon with lightning, but it was greyed out. I use the black knight sword, can you just not imbue that weapon?

Also how do you get out of grabs?

Where should I go after ringing the first bell? I could go into the forest, go through the white light in Lower Undead burg, and probably just go right back down to the Fireshrine. Is there a preferred spot?

cowdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By cowdrunk

@Xael: Thanks a bunch I'll be going slug hunting as soon as I have time to get back into it

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@D_W said:

OK so three questions:

I tried using the items that imbue your weapon with lightning, but it was greyed out. I use the black knight sword, can you just not imbue that weapon?

Where should I go after ringing the first bell? I could go into the forest, go through the white light in Lower Undead burg, and probably just go right back down to the Fireshrine. Is there a preferred spot?

I think Black Knight sword is a unique weapon and cannot be taken down the normal upgrade path. You can check the materials you need to upgrade it in the top right corner of the Blacksmith's menu.

As far as I know you can't get out of grabs, you just have to know the tells and doge them.

As far as campaign progression you need to go to where you go the white soapstone from Knight Solaire. Remember that door that was locked before? Well you have the key now.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @LordXavierBritish:  So I just got to blight town which is a freakin bitch.I was doin pretty good but came across a note that said amazing weapon ahead. And across a gap I saw a ledge with a drop on it, unfortunately I missed it and fell which nearly killed me but there was an enemy right there to finish the job.  I was just curious if there actually is a good weapon hidden or it was just a misleading note. Also I briefly read a guide (only to see if I was heading in teh right direction) and they mentioned I should go to darkroot basion first just to level up and get better weapons before blight town. What do you think about that?
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sackmanjones: I know the place you are talking about, I think, and I believe that is one of the katanas that is actually quite good if you upgrade it a bit. You should confirm that with someone who has it though.

Also, yes, you should go to Darkmoon first. You should really go there and farm the tree monsters for awhile because you are really really really really really going to want the posion cures they drop when you enter Blighttown. You can also pick up the Grass Root Shield there which is one of my favorite early gamer shields that gives you a passive stamina regen buff when you have it out. You could also probably take down the Moonlight Butterfly, especially if you have any magic or pyromancy at all it's an incredibly easy boss, and get access to the watchtower to fight Havel and the Divine Ember which you can give to the blacksmith to forge holy weapons which you will need later.

If you want to farm up 20k also buy the forest key from the blacksmith which unlocks that farming spot where you can basically run dudes off a cliff and get 12k souls in about a minute.

Really, the worst thing about Blighttown is the first time you go through it you are going to get incredibly lost. It's dark, there are enemies everywhere, and one wrong decision could get you stuck there. In my mind Blighttown is like the proving grounds for Dark Souls, if you can make it past this then you are ready to take down whatever the game has to throw at you next, but if you go in ill prepared it is going to eat you alive and you may never see the light of day again.

If there is one thing i can recommend more than anything else it is bring a spear. Being able to block while attacking is fucking invaluable when you get to the swamp floor.

And seriously, poison cures. Bring fucking poison cures.
    sanBASHi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By sanBASHi

OH man just got the lightning spear in sens fortress, and i wish i hadn´t. @chop i can understand u, now it is too easy, rushing my way through the castle and anor londo like its nothing. In my first playthrough got to anor londo too, it was so much harder with a "normal" weapon, but killed andrei and had to start over 0o

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By JoeMarsden

Just rang the first bell. Yeah, I don't have as much time for this game as it would seem, looking at all of your progress! Still, I beat the gargoyles pretty damn quick and got the tail axe and shield. It was pretty awesome. Defeated that lightning bloke underneath the blacksmith too. So, now do I head to that door that was locked on the Taurus Demon's side of the bridge with the dragon on?

sanBASHi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By sanBASHi

Yeah right, ur making ur way to the sewers. when u go through the door (dragon bridge) take a right and make the shortcut available (it is a staircase leading up, u will see when u get there) and before going to the white door (capra demon) go down the stairs to the right, and eventually discover the shortcut to firelink shrine /undeadburg

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#200  Edited By D_W

@LordXavierBritish said:

@D_W said:

OK so three questions:

I think Black Knight sword is a unique weapon and cannot be taken down the normal upgrade path. You can check the materials you need to upgrade it in the top right corner of the Blacksmith's menu. As far as I know you can't get out of grabs, you just have to know the tells and doge them. As far as campaign progression you need to go to where you go the white soapstone from Knight Solaire. Remember that door that was locked before? Well you have the key now.

OK so, then that's to lower undead burg. I've been there already (and actually attacked the female merchant by mistake! she's still alive though, so all I need is like 50k souls to make her not made at me. *sigh*) So then I guess I just gotta go fight the boss down there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.