Buying the PC edition despite owning the console edition ?

• 59 results
#1 Posted by Mageman (351 posts) -

Will anyone here buy the PC version despite already owning one of the console versions of this game ?

I'm actually crazy enough to consider this on the condition that the netcode gets vast improvements and the port turns to be good all around, I mean imagine going through Blighttown with 40+ fps, what sheer awesome that would be.

#2 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I won't be picking it up on day 1, but I'll definitely pick it up if it goes on sale on steam. That's really the only way I can justify buying the same game twice.

#3 Edited by Akyho (1585 posts) -

Its not actually that insane. They switched off the servers for online play a few months ago. Meaning PC will be the only one with online ability.

Edit: Scratch that......apparently it is Demon souls servers going down...so um....maybe I will actually play Dark souls on the console. I thought Dark souls.

#4 Posted by Mageman (351 posts) -

@Akyho said:

Its not actually that insane. They switched off the servers for online play a few months ago. Meaning PC will be the only one with online ability.

I don't think Dark Souls has online play servers, that would be Demons Souls. Darksouls uses a netcode where a played becomes a server/host iirc.

#5 Posted by Humanity (8798 posts) -
@Akyho

What really? The Dark Souls servers? It hasn't even been a year since release or do you mean Demons Souls?

The Steam Summer Sale was tough but I followed a stern rule of no purchases of games I already played on 360 because I wouldn't be getting anything out of it. I'd dick around for an hour and look how nice stuff looks on pc but ultimately I'd have beaten the story so what's the point.
#6 Posted by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

Tempting as I do love Dark Souls and it would be another excuse to play it some more with the extra stuff in right away. Though i'll probably stick to my PS3 copy, especially with From Software saying they haven't been able to do any optimisation and are unable to fix the frame rate issues, focusing on making it a straight port with the extra content in as a plus.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've not played it yet for the purpose if getting it on PC.

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9887 posts) -

I'd just buy the DLC they're releasing that's a part of the PC edition. Blighttown is choppy in like one area for maybe 5 seconds/vist and that's it.

#9 Posted by Mageman (351 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I'd just buy the DLC they're releasing that's a part of the PC edition. Blighttown is choppy in like one area for maybe 5 seconds/vist and that's it.

Nearly the whole of Blighttown is slugging at around 20fps.

@Gravier251 said:

Tempting as I do love Dark Souls and it would be another excuse to play it some more with the extra stuff in right away. Though i'll probably stick to my PS3 copy, especially with From Software saying they haven't been able to do any optimisation and are unable to fix the frame rate issues, focusing on making it a straight port with the extra content in as a plus.

That is unfortunate, maybe in time the community will somehow make modifications and improvements on it.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6320 posts) -

It'll be part of a crazy Steam sale at some point, so yes, even though I only put 8 hours into Dark Souls before putting it off for too long and now being in that "do I start over or go in and try to relearn my character" limbo.

#11 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

I was really looking forward to buying it again until they said they would just be doing a straight port without any improvements. I can't imagine that there will still be slowdowns in blight town on a high-end system, but it's going to look like ass without higher resolution textures. It shouldn't be left to the community to do that sort of thing.

#12 Posted by Brofessor (25 posts) -

Yep I pre ordered it even though I have the 360 version, I love the game and I want to support From Soft. When they initially asked if gamers wanted a pc version and we said yes we have an obligation to support them. At least that is my thought process.

#13 Edited by CornBREDX (4780 posts) -

Ya, I'd buy it again. The game is great. I am interested to see what difference (if any) there is, but the game is good enough on it's own that it's worth delving into a second time- in my opinion anyway.

#14 Posted by Chippy180 (159 posts) -

Having sunk at least 200 hours into Dark Souls, I feel I owe it to From and my battered game disc to pick up the PC version. I don't mind that the port is likely to leave certain flaws like the frame-dip in Blight town(Which I've come to love over time) and the way that the player armour for Ornstein lacks a feather(is that so much to ask?!). I also have a few friends who only own PCs so I'll give them the grand tour of Lordran(Then piss off when they need me most ohohoho).

I'll be purchasing it from retail however to jump on the "Timed limited edition", which we'll likely see copies circulating around store shelves until the end of time as with the original Dark Souls. The new 150+ page artbook, accompanied by the same CD with the same track-naming errors and a copy of the game which I can only assume is for Windows Live. The Artorias of the Abyss DLC is just the icing on the cake(...A cake which I will no-doubt double-dip on once it's released on consoles to play with my Smoughbro).

In short: DARK SOULS PRE-ORDER ON THE #1 FEATURED POSITION ON STEAM GET HYPE.

@Akyho said:

Edit: Scratch that......apparently it is Demon souls servers going down...so um....maybe I will actually play Dark souls on the console. I thought Dark souls.

Yeah the Demon's Souls server were supposed to go down sometime last year, but Atlus are cool bros and decided that they would keep them going for as long as it is financially viable(Read:Used).

#15 Posted by Maginnovision (484 posts) -

Since it's the exact same game, with no improvements, no. Before they said is was going to be a terrible port I had decided I was going to get it again. Now maybe I'll just wait until the DLC comes to xbox so I can try new content in new game?+(don't remember how many plusses)

#16 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

@Maginnovision said:

Since it's the exact same game, with no improvements, no. Before they said is was going to be a terrible port I had decided I was going to get it again. Now maybe I'll just wait until the DLC comes to xbox so I can try new content in new game?+(don't remember how many plusses)

This basically.

#17 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS. If not, then what's the point? I haven't played the game but honestly I'm not touching a game that will be 720p stretched on my 1080p screen, in the originals 20-25 FPS at that. I can't play a game at that FPS without getting extremely frustrated.

So, waiting for reviews seeing as their statements have been extremely worrysome.

#18 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

I will not be buying it on release day because I already own in on the 360 and PS3. But, yes. I will be buying that game at some point through a Steam sale.

#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@RIDEBIRD said:

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS. If not, then what's the point? I haven't played the game but honestly I'm not touching a game that will be 720p stretched on my 1080p screen, in the originals 20-25 FPS at that. I can't play a game at that FPS without getting extremely frustrated.

So, waiting for reviews seeing as their statements have been extremely worrysome.

I feel the same way. I was ready to buy in at full price when I heard From was doing a PC version, but then they went with GFWL and aren't attempting any optimization. What exactly is the reason to play it?

#20 Posted by toots (430 posts) -

No it isn't crazy, sometimes you can't carry a computer as easily as a console, and if you really like the game, why not? I plan on doing this to keep my ps3 collection alive and having it for PC is a nice bonus.

Also, just so yuhknow, Demons Souls is still online. They didn't shut the servers off and last time I checked I think it said they'd be around for a while still. Those crazy From Software people are such a tease.

#21 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Probably not. Not enough effort was put into it to warrant another $60 out of me.

#22 Posted by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

I wish I could but the molah is very scarce as of now :( , so probably I will wait till the dlc as I have it on PS3

#23 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@Azteck said:

Probably not. Not enough effort was put into it to warrant another $60 out of me.

Aren't they asking for 40?

It's a tough call for me personally. The DLC is gonna be like 20 bucks on consoles right? For 20 bucks I might get a version that performs better, or if FROM is to be believed it'll be garbage I might just skip out on the entire thing.

#24 Posted by Pr1mus (3801 posts) -

Unless they changed their stance on the resolution, framerate lock and essentially no differences with the console version i don't see the point of buying it again if you already have it on console. This is really only interesting to those who haven't already bought it.

#25 Posted by TorgoGrooves89 (346 posts) -

Yep. I loved Dark Souls and can't wait to play it again on PC, even if the port is not meant to be a good one. Plus I want to do a let's play and that is way easier on PC using fraps.

#26 Posted by cyraxible (682 posts) -

Yes. Dark Souls is one of my all time favorites and I can't wait to play it for PC. Increased resolution and new content = Day 1 for me.

I'm not too psyched to see how bad the hacking in PVP will be...

#27 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

300 hours spent on the PS3 version, already got my Steam preorder. Lets do this.

#28 Posted by adam1808 (1371 posts) -

Thought I read somewhere that the port wasn't going to be so hot. I know the console versions have issues but I heard things like a locked 30 fps and GFWL requirement, in which case that's a big price to pay for the same game at higher res.

#29 Edited by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I'm going to buy it regardless since I just like the idea of having it on PC. Also I've spent upwards of 300+ hours on my PS3 copy and I don't want to stop any time soon despite the fact that I platunimed it a while ago.

Also those who are interested in the port should look at this thread on the Steam forums as it dispels some common misconceptions about the game.

#30 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I probably put 200+ hours into demon's souls, yet somehow still haven't played this. I was stoked it was coming to PC, but the fact that they haven't optimized it is really disappointing. Games for Windows Live is a deal-breaker though; I would rather just pay full price and get it on PS3 to avoid GFWL.

#31 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I will, but not on day 1. Because I am probably broke by that time.

#32 Posted by Draugen (625 posts) -

Have it on PS3, will get it day 1 on steam.

#33 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Sure, I'll buy it again. But I'm also going to buy Darksiders 2 and Guild Wars 2, and they all get released in more or less the same week. I'm not sure I'll be able to get them all at the same time, but we'll see.

@dennisthemennis: You can probably get it for like $20 new on PS3 at this point, so it won't be anywhere near $60 if you're trying to avoid GFWL. I got it for $25 for PS3 months ago.

#34 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

My buddy actually bought Dark Souls on PS3 at launch and for whatever reason decided he needed the 360 copy too in order to prepare for when the PC version is released...

#35 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -

Yeah. I mean, I'm not surprised at any of the choices they had to make to put the game on PC. That said, I absolutely loved Dark Souls on the PS3, and I'm amazed that they even responded to the online petition. Will pick it up, even if it's just to support FROM.

#36 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@SlasherMan: I'll porbably do that then, unless it turns out the pc version is noticeably better.

On the steam page it says: "PVP Online Matchmaking System – Quick matching for co-op or PVP." Does anyone know if that is a potential change from the sign-based system?

#37 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@Azteck said:

Aren't they asking for 40?

It's a tough call for me personally. The DLC is gonna be like 20 bucks on consoles right? For 20 bucks I might get a version that performs better, or if FROM is to be believed it'll be garbage I might just skip out on the entire thing.

It's $40, yes, but once you turn that into SEK it looks more like the US equivalent of $60. Effectively, Swedish people pay around $90 for a new game.

#38 Posted by FakeKisser (313 posts) -

I'm waiting for the review...because I'm worried about the bad port.

#39 Posted by Perdido (49 posts) -

I actually picked up the Steam pre-order today when I decided to cancel my ultimate vault hunter reserve for the X360 in lieu of buying the PC version. I grabbed Darksiders II pre-order while I was at it as well.

#40 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1383 posts) -

I have a feeling that the community will put out amazing things for this game, so I'm in.

#41 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

i'll probably pick it up again, if the port runs good. I would gladly sell my Xbox version if that was the case.

#42 Posted by Tesla (1905 posts) -

Like many have said already, I will not be getting it on PC because no improvements have been made. I'll just download the DLC.

#43 Posted by Jumbs (233 posts) -

I was going to, then they jacked up the price for Australian steam users :(

#44 Posted by Spoonman671 (4554 posts) -

No, I'll wait for the new content to come out on PS3.  Something tells me that the PC version of this game isn't going to be blowing people away.

#45 Posted by Sterling (2057 posts) -

If they would have worked on the frame rate and improving the graphics a little I would be all over re buying it at full price. But since it is just a straight port, I can't justify paying for it. For those that don't have consoles however, they should jump all over it.

#46 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

@RIDEBIRD said:

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will be locking it at 30 FPS on the PC version, which is a shame.

#47 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Yes, I am buying it day 1, I am also buying the dlc on ps3.

#48 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -

Even if I had a gaming pc, no.

I'm not the type to buy enhanced versions and from what I understand, it's not even that. You might get a steady frame rate and that's about the only difference.

#49 Edited by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@RIDEBIRD said:

I'll pick it up if they made it work on PCs in 1080p 60 FPS.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will be locking it at 30 FPS on the PC version, which is a shame.

The frame locking is a rumour at this stage. In fact, Namco-Bandai haven't even said they were going to. Having said that, I'll wait until it comes out and see what it's actually like.

#50 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

@Mageman: of course .. i will purchase it despite all its bullcrap surrounding the pc verison .. jsut to show that i am a pc elitist idiot who will buy any shitty port just to get more games released on the platform ..

but yeh i will :/ if that dlc was coming any sooner i might hold off but I NEEDS MY LORE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.