Capra Demon

• 97 results
#51 Posted by xeis (1 posts) -

This SOB had me tearing my hair out, my warrior was simply not up to the job despite being level 28 (maybe spent too much on dex). However took me maybe 1.5 hours, retrying every 5 minutes. My typical time from entering the fog to being dead was about 6 seconds. This did not improve until I simply threw away my armour and put on the thief armour. This gave me the speed to occasionally make it to the stairs, then on about the 10th attempt I got lucky and took out the second dog (genuinely luck, I fell off the ledge ran back up the stairs and the dog was coming down at me). Once the dogs were dead the demon himself is the easier part of the battle, once I was fast enough to roll and get away I used the well described theory here of up the stairs, wait for him to come up, drop down, wait for him to drop down, single hit, run like hell back up the stairs. Rinse and repeat. Worst fight in either game for me, the firelurker in DS was harder to get to, but took nowhere near as long to solo for me at least. I guess they did say prepare to die ;) but not prepare to die looking at the wall while the camera clips about. :D

#52 Edited by skittles (156 posts) -

Reviving an old thread because I managed to defeat this son of a bitch over the weekend. Took me quite a few tries (like 20-30?), and I had the same experience most people. Got lucky eventually!

It was nice to fight the Gaping Dragon soon afterwards, in a huge environment where I felt in control of my fate. Woop.

#53 Posted by super2j (1694 posts) -

@skittles said:

Reviving an old thread because I managed to defeat this son of a bitch over the weekend. Took me quite a few tries (like 20-30?), and I had the same experience most people. Got lucky eventually!

It was nice to fight the Gaping Dragon soon afterwards, in a huge environment where I felt in control of my fate. Woop.

that mofo took so many tries to kill and I agree, the Dragon was waay easier.

#54 Edited by Slag (4385 posts) -

The fact this boss has a thread, that's still active no less, is a pretty special testament to how much of crazy that fight was. I think it's the close quarters that make it so bananas.

I actually had to take a break from the game for awhile it made so mad. It's about time for me to go back and try again. Not really looking forward to it be honest.

#55 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

Glad to see this thread revived because I beat him earlier today! Had a lot of trouble with those damn poison dogs that immediately attack you and block your way during the fight. But eventually I learned his attack patterns and was able to block everything with my knight's upgraded shield. Definitely tested my patience though, felt like giving up quite a few times.

#56 Edited by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

The first time, I had trouble, even with summoned help. I played some Dark Souls last month with a new character, and while it took me a few tries to get past those damn dogs, it's a pretty simple fight. Kill dogs real fast, run up stairs, let him follow you off the ledge and hit him when he falls.

#57 Edited by villainy (558 posts) -

Seeing this thread revived brought immediate heartburn. Fuck the Capra Demon fight. Sure I had trouble with Ornstein and Smough but this stupid fight was the most difficult by far. Take firm grasp of your derriere and hope the dogs random in the right direction.

#58 Posted by redyoshi (155 posts) -

I swear the first time I walked through the fog gate and saw it just sprinting at me, I felt like I got punched in the chest. I was just so unprepared for that, I thought I'd have some change to at least size things up. I can't remember what level I was, probably under 30, and it took about a half-hour altogether with some cooldown breaks throughout it all before I finally got it. The biggest thing about this fight for me was the anticipation, standing in front of the gate knowing that everything could go wrong from the first few seconds and I'd have to run all the way back from Firelink. For me, it was really all about getting lucky with the dogs, and hoping I had a clearer path to the stairs. The times that he'd catch me going up the stairs because I was too slow were just the worst. And then the few times I'd have him to a small chunk of life and he'd catch me while rolling... Man, I just wanted to run straight through a wall.

The funny thing is though, I absolutely hated this bastard while fighting it, but now I have the fondest memories.

#59 Posted by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

God I hated him so much the first time. Took like a million tries and some serious pain. Just to pour salt in my wounds, he becomes pathetically easy when I finally figured it out properly in later playthroughs. T.T

I would skip the lower burg and depths every time if they werent so cost efficient... Most boring areas in the game. And the enemies there only bring bad memories.

#60 Posted by skittles (156 posts) -

God damn. I was the guy who revived this thread, and now I wish I hadn't. I just read the most recent posts, and the frustration is still so fresh. I have to go somewhere quiet and serene for a while.

#61 Posted by mosespippy (4183 posts) -

The last time I faced this guy in a first playthrough I did it with a guy who had Ciaran's armour and a guy who had Darkwraith amrour. I had fully upgraded Elite Knight armour and gold tracer dagger. Clearly we were all in the lvl 70 range and any one of us could have 1 hit him and the dogs, even at 3 player difficulty. It felt pretty good crushing him like that.

#62 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Reading this old-ass thread brings back some good memories. Frustrating ones, too. Bust mostly good.

#praisethesun #lolhashtags

#63 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1370 posts) -

I'm stuck at this fight right now. I think the main issue is the travel between the nearest fire and him is a good 10 minutes which you begin to fuck up the more you have to do. Many of the times I actually reached him I was wiped out in seconds so I have no experience to take in for next time. I did get a couple hits away from finishing him, it's entirely reliant on getting to the stairs cleanly (without getting stuck running into the dogs), taking out the dogs then opening up some space to fight the demon in...

I've had surgery more fun than trying to beat the Capra demon.

#64 Posted by mosespippy (4183 posts) -

@walkertr77: Continue down the stairs next to the fog gate and you'll unlock a route to Firelink Shrine. It's a much shorter trip with less enemies and a merchant.

#65 Edited by WalkerTR77 (1370 posts) -

@mosespippy: This helped a hell of a lot, being able to get to the boss faster and easier meant it only took a few more attempts. Cheers man!

#66 Edited by activatetheasset (23 posts) -

Just go into this game recently, so I thought that I would share how I was finally able to defeat this boss after many frustrating failures.

The secret for me turned out to be using Aural Decoy as soon as I walked in. I cast it to the right, and this distracted the enemies enough for me to slip past to the left. I could then take out the dogs while they were focused on my decoy. After killing the dogs, circling the Demon and blocking his attacks did the trick for me.

#67 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (410 posts) -

Fellow Giant Soulers,

What level did you battle the capra demon at?

Any tips/tricks?

Just beat Capra yesterday: SL25 - 20 STR . 20 END . 20 VIT. Grass Crest Shield in one hand, Drake Sword in the other. Havels ring + Blue Tearstone ring. Equipped a mix of light armors (brigand + thief).

Basically a fast,nimble dude with a sword+shield. After dying maybe 10-15 times to this dude, here's what worked for me.

Really the biggest obstacle is not the boss or his adds but your goddamn camera. The camera does not play fair in tight spaces and you will need to be ready to quickly readjust during a fight.

The fight will be decided in the first 10s of the encounter. You need to dodge his first attack, create some distance, kill the dogs and then avoid Capra's wild swings while poking at him from his side or behind.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let yourself get backed into a corner early on or stay in one spot for too long. Keep moving.

When you go through the door you'll see Capra and the dogs charging you. Capra will telegraph a running horizontal swing attack when he gets close enough. In order to survive, you need to roll to the left of his first attack right before he swings his blade. Now the problem is there will be a dog coming from his left who will block your evade if you don't time it right. You need to time your run and your roll so that you can make it under Capras blades and past that dog to make it up the stairs. For this first bit It really helps to not lock on at all. You may want to roll 2 or 3 times in a row as Capra may follow up after his first attack and try to catch in the back you as you flee.

The dogs will be the first ones up the stairs and this is your opportunity to kill them off. You will only have maybe a second or two before Capra catches up. Occasionally Capra will get snagged on some geometry at the bottom of the stairs, this isn't reliable but can sometimes buy you valuable seconds to deal with the dogs without interference or heal up. If you get in a tight spot up there you can always roll off onto the ground and run to the other side of the room to regroup. If you don't kill both of the dogs on your first try up the stairs and Capra starts to close in, roll off, run to the other side of the room, spin that goddamn camera around and try to put the pups down before Capra makes his way over again.

Once the dogs are dead the fight is pretty straightforward. He has a blockable horizontal swing with a wide arc and a unblockable double-handed overhead attack. You will now have a lot more freedom to move around the room and stay out of range.

#68 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

This boss is the dogs and the little room. Capra himself is not the problem.

But of course Capra and Gaping and their entire area are completely optional with master key.

#69 Edited by Korwin (2864 posts) -

Killed it in one go on NG+ yesterday while watching Vinny scramble around in the tower :P

Target the dogs first to get them out of your hair and make sure you never get caught in the spot with the pillars, you should basically just kite him up and down the steps.

#70 Edited by Carlos1408 (1507 posts) -

@bocam said:

@SuperfluousMoniker: You fight three of them at once

@superfluousmoniker said:
@Bocam: Okay yeah that sounds hard.

That is true and hard, but I've found whenever there was more than one of them I could just lure them out with some form of ranged attack and then kill them off one by one.

The only time I found fighting capra demons really hard was that boss fight. Like others have mentioned before me the best tactic for that is killing the dogs as soon as you can (on the stairs or not), then use the stairs to your advantage when he's solo.

#71 Edited by Ezekiel (451 posts) -

You never have to fight more than one Capra Demon at a time. You can skip the five. Just jump down to the level/floor beneath before.

#72 Posted by serujiow (20 posts) -

I'm not sure if it was patched or not since I haven't played with a low level character in forever, but if you are really desperate to beat him you can cheese this boss by throwing dung pies over the fog gate and poisoning him

#73 Edited by Sinusoidal (1505 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I killed him in 4 hits with a dex-based level 23 character with the Balder Side Sword +5.

GAh! You went through Sen's Fortress and farmed Balder Knights for the Balder Side Sword at level 23?!? Wait... You can't even get into Sen's Fortress unless you had rung the second bell... cheating? Or does something else drop the BSS?

#74 Edited by The_Ruiner (1059 posts) -

Level is kind of irrelevant .You need a good shield and decent poise helps. Try to get to the stairs as quickly as you can. Kill the dogs fast and just keep using the stairs to make him waste his time climbing up and jumping down. When he lands from that jump, that's your best opening for hits.

#75 Posted by Yillb (34 posts) -

So I checked and it looks like he's really a optional boss if you have the master key; I'm pretty sure I didn't beat him until well after the second bell and was over leveled by the time I did it.

#76 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I killed him in 4 hits with a dex-based level 23 character with the Balder Side Sword +5.

GAh! You went through Sen's Fortress and farmed Balder Knights for the Balder Side Sword at level 23?!? Wait... You can't even get into Sen's Fortress unless you had rung the second bell... cheating? Or does something else drop the BSS?

There are knights that drop the sword in the parish if I remember correctly.

#77 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

@yillb said:

So I checked and it looks like he's really a optional boss if you have the master key; I'm pretty sure I didn't beat him until well after the second bell and was over leveled by the time I did it.

No need for a master key. You can get into the Valley of the Drakes via Darkroot Basin, sidestepping Lower Undeadburg, the Sewers, and the first half of Blight Town.

#78 Edited by Dark (380 posts) -

To be perfectly honest the first time I spent hours attempting it, now I just run in with no armor and a zweihander and just roll on his every attack. His attack patterns are so well shown before he does them, you also get a chance to get used to them if you get further in the game as he becomes a normal enemy (like a few of the bosses)

#79 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

I never got this. He isn't that hard. No idea what level I beat him at the first time but this is what you do. You move in and hang back a little. Try to get one of the dogs to rush you and see if he does too. If he does not block or dodge and quickly kill the dog then gun it for the stairs. When the chase you up the stairs jump down and repeat until dog 2 is exposed. Then you just hide on stairs/dodge heal as needed and once ready lure him up and drop down. Get him in the center so you have room to move, wait for him to make a "big" swing, dodge it and unload. Once you know his moveset he is reasonably easy to dodge and predict.

Really he isn't even a boss. Later in the game you might even end up fighting two of him at the same time.

@turambar said:

No need for a master key. You can get into the Valley of the Drakes via Darkroot Basin, sidestepping Lower Undeadburg, the Sewers, and the first half of Blight Town.

Don't think that works. I recall there is a door at the end of the sewer path that is locked by a key on the other side of the door. Without the master key or the one designed for it you can't get through. Maybe I am remembering wrong though.

#80 Edited by xyzygy (9992 posts) -

@mentaldisruption said:

@sinusoidal said:

@xyzygy said:

It was so long ago that I posted this so I have no idea anymore. I think I left the capra demon until later. There is a way you can go around him by going underground, if I recall correctly. Then I went into Sen's Fortress, farmed for the Balder Side Sword. This was on a new character and I knew Sen's Fortress very well from my other character, so I just kinda ran right through it.

The ones in SF are the only enemies that drop the Balder Side Sword.

#81 Posted by golguin (3928 posts) -

@karkarov said:

I never got this. He isn't that hard. No idea what level I beat him at the first time but this is what you do. You move in and hang back a little. Try to get one of the dogs to rush you and see if he does too. If he does not block or dodge and quickly kill the dog then gun it for the stairs. When the chase you up the stairs jump down and repeat until dog 2 is exposed. Then you just hide on stairs/dodge heal as needed and once ready lure him up and drop down. Get him in the center so you have room to move, wait for him to make a "big" swing, dodge it and unload. Once you know his moveset he is reasonably easy to dodge and predict.

Really he isn't even a boss. Later in the game you might even end up fighting two of him at the same time.

@turambar said:

Don't think that works. I recall there is a door at the end of the sewer path that is locked by a key on the other side of the door. Without the master key or the one designed for it you can't get through. Maybe I am remembering wrong though.

I just played through the beginning of Dark Souls (heading to Blight Town) and you can bypass all those areas without the Master Key, but it's a longer winding path. You just head down into Darkroot Basin from the blacksmith, go through the tunnel with the bonfire, emerge in new long ruins for a moment, dodge the baby drakes in valley of the drakes, and you're at the shortcut to Blight Town.

Much faster if you just use the Master Key.

#82 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

@xyzygy said:

You are correct, in fact it's the very first Balder knight you encounter (the one with his back turned to you once you get out of the tower sort of bit with all the low level hollowed).

#83 Posted by mike28212 (30 posts) -

I tried to beat him a several times a couple of weeks ago but could not get passed those dogs to make it up the stairs. After reading this thread, I am inspired to try again when I get home tonight. I am frustrated with myself for not saving at firelink shrine the first few times I tried beating this thing instead of taking the long route to get there.

#84 Edited by Dark (380 posts) -

I wouldn't skip him to be honest either, doing the sewers gives you another few levels which will make fighting Quelaag much easier. However fuck blighttown, upper blighttown was the worst area in the game for me, I only ever did it once then skipped it every time after.

#85 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

@karkarov: No, they're right, you can totally get there from Darkroot. Just by hanging a right after the spot where you enter it after leaving Andre and going all the way down instead of saying hi to the hydra.

As for Capra, I'm pretty sure this was alot of peoples 1st souls game and him being as aggressive as he is in that room WITH the dogs was overwhelming for low SL at the time :P

#86 Edited by GnomeonFire (745 posts) -

Get a lucky run past him and the dogs and go up the stairs. From the top of the stairs you can move onto a little archway thing above a doorway/behind the tree. From there kill the dogs, the Capra demon will likely attack you but fall down right under you. Do a dropping attack on him, go back up the stairs onto the little ledge, repeat.

Edit: I should read the dates on these threads. I'll leave this post regardless, because its the way I do it every time.

#87 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@karkarov: No, they're right, you can totally get there from Darkroot. Just by hanging a right after the spot where you enter it after leaving Andre and going all the way down instead of saying hi to the hydra.

As for Capra, I'm pretty sure this was alot of peoples 1st souls game and him being as aggressive as he is in that room WITH the dogs was overwhelming for low SL at the time :P

I know it leads there. I just seem to recall there being a locked door at the far end of the entrance once you go into the lower section of blighttown from the valley of the drakes. Memory also tells me the locked door key is in lower blighttown proper, not the path leading into it. Yes it can definitely be done with the Master Key either way. That said I would still never advise it. You screw yourself out of a ton of souls, some loot possibilities, and honestly it is just as rough entering blight town from that direction. In fact if you want to clear Blighttown (and you should there is a lot of neat gear there) it is much easier to do it coming from up town than down below.

#88 Posted by Boboblaw (290 posts) -

Don't remember the level I was at but both times I took him out in one attempt with drake sword

#89 Posted by mike28212 (30 posts) -

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get past him on my first attempt tonight. Once I was able to dispatch the dogs as everyone suggested it was a pretty simple fight.

#90 Posted by golguin (3928 posts) -

@dark said:

I wouldn't skip him to be honest either, doing the sewers gives you another few levels which will make fighting Quelaag much easier. However fuck blighttown, upper blighttown was the worst area in the game for me, I only ever did it once then skipped it every time after.

I completed Blight Town today after not going there since I first played the game. It wasn't really that bad. I only died 3 times and all three of those deaths was just my hubris because I forgot that those corpse enemies have a grab attack that essentially one shots me with my current vitality and the dogs have a fire breath attack that does the same. The 3rd death was rushing across the swinging bridge.

Aside from that I basically zipped through and got to the bottom. It was kinda nice because I had forgotten what the area was like. The frame rate only hitched up a few times, but since I know what causes it I just made sure not to look in certain directions.

#91 Posted by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

#92 Posted by EnemaEms (155 posts) -

Capra Demon hates lightning. Apply some yellow resin to your weapon just before entering the fog and he will go down real real quick.

#93 Edited by Gatehouse (625 posts) -

I have now messed this guy up with three different characters (one I've nearly finished a NG+) of totally different styles, but the important thing is to always kill the dogs first. Matt Rorie might hate it, but those are not cute puppies.

The other key thing for me is the stairs they give you. You can use those to get him chasing you in a big circle, ending in you doing a nice little plunging attack. The few seconds you get when he falls off the stairs are also essential if your playing as a magic user. Make the most of those and this fight's nothing like as hard as it first seems.

#94 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

capra is optional but I wouldn't suggest skipping him because it gives you access to the second level normal ember if you beat him. Don't think you can get it otherwise.

#95 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

SL8 or whatever the bandit starts at. But I've spent a lot of time in this game. Capra never stops sucking though.

#96 Posted by dudeglove (7851 posts) -

Throw firebombs over the fog gate to kill at least one dog, and once inside use aural decoy to distract the demon. It's a super useful spell against sentinels too.

#97 Posted by hippocrit (240 posts) -

Casting Hidden Body before starting this fight causes the dogs to not aggro you. More time to decide what you wanna do.

Without a sorcery, step in the room and WAIT A SEC. If you charge off immediately Capra and a dog will meet you at the same time and pin you down.

Get a 100% physical shield (heater shield is sold by the undead merchant for 1000 souls). You can just block everything but the 2 hand attacks if you manage your stamina.

Once the dogs are dead, stay on the ground. Capra's pathing and the camera are more predictable that way.

Put some gold pine resin on that sword, yo!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.