Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Capra Demon: Please Help

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By thisguyrich

Thus far i have not been as frustrated by any other boss in the game; for the first time I am tempted to call this game unfair. Basically, whenever I walk into that room one of two things happens. Either I dodge right, the camera gets stuck behind some architecture or foliage, and I die, or I dodge left and get cornered by the dogs, who prevent me from rolling away from the Capra Demon and interrupt any attack I try on them, rendering me vulnerable. On average I last about five seconds.

So anyone have any good tips? Anything at all will be greatly appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Summoning another player to take some heat away helps. Might be useful to know your level/gear.

stoic665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By stoic665

I had a lot of trouble with this boss as well. The trick is to get rid of the dogs asap; the capra demon by itself is not that difficult. The way I did it was to dodge left and run up the stairs. Up there you should be able to kill off or at least hurt the dogs before the capra demon reaches you.

Of course, if everything else fails you can always summon someone to help.

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thisguyrich

@Zacagawea: If I wasn't so stubbornly determined to beat the game on my own I probably would.

Currently I'm level 30; my highest attributes are endurance and strength. I'm wielding the drake sword, a knight shield (+3), and wearing some crappy black leather armour because i like to be able to dodge quickly.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Run up the stairs in the back corner and the dogs will follow you where you can easily take them out (sometimes the boss comes up). Then fighting the boss, you can avoid his single handed attacks easily with a shield that blocks 100% physical and roll away when he does two hands. Hope this helps!

Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Wess

He's a pain, for sure, but for me if I could get past those initial 5 seconds it wasn't that hard. Both times I did it I went forward and right immediately, under a little overhang behind some columns I think. When the dogs and/or Capra demon reach you, roll like a madman and hope you get through. If you're wearing heavy armor and can't roll well, I honestly don't know.

It probably isn't the best strategy, but it worked for me twice after a few tries. Once you get behind them use the stairs as much as you can, and kill the dogs first. Then it's just a battle of attrition with the big man. You can also try getting big hits by jumping down on him from the top of the stairs sometimes, if you're feeling like a badass.

Shadowjester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Shadowjester

I had to run up the stairs and then go along the wall so that the Capra Demon couldn't really get to me. Then try to kill the dogs on the ledge. Once that was done, I had to get the capra demon to follow me up the stairs get him to fall off the edge so that I could then do a plunging attack. It took several tries for this to work though.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Benny

It's savage, one of the hardest fights in the game. You either need to summon some dudes, be very lucky, or a little over-levelled.

Try any of the above, and as others have said run up the stairs ahead by rolling past the demon asap.

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thisguyrich

man, if this game wasn't so engrossing, so unlike anything i've ever played, and so exactly what I want my games to be, I would've given up by now. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Estwilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Estwilde

I'm around level 30 I think if you're still having trouble, I can start dropping a summon sign down outside the door

EDIT: I should ask if you're on the 360 or not first (I'm on 360)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

What eventually worked for me was to get a shield that blocked all physical damage, with a decent stability rating, and then immediately walk in, head forward and to the right, and after blocking the dogs rolling past the Capra as he attacked. Go for the stairs if you can, it'll let you separate the dogs and the demon, and once you have he's not so hard. He can still totally kill you if you mess up, though, so just play defensively and learn his attacks.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrockNRolla

@thisguyrich said:

If I wasn't so stubbornly determined to beat the game on my own I probably would.

Duder, don't make things harder on yourself than they have to be. Summon help on occasion. Vastly increases enjoyment of the game.

Estwilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Estwilde

And letting others help you helps them join the Warriors of Sunlight :)

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Tiwi

Blocking is better than dodging in that fight. Granted at that point I had a black knights shield, and sword. Killing the dogs as fast as possible by backing up to a wall and just blocking until you get a chance to counter them is the best course of action first.

Then you figure out his attack pattern, and start POKING at him and just widdling him down while staying safe behind the shield.

If you're having that much put on the ring you get from killing havel, the 50% increased carry load really helps if you want to carry some heavy armor while quickrolling.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By super2j

What a coincidence, i just came back from the underground forest place with new armor and decided to give him another shot. Died almost immediately. My new strategy is to put on all the parts of the stone knight armor and not worry about avoiding his attack, get the fire resin on my way there so i can dispatch the stupid dogs and then concentrate on him, i may even pop a stamina regen plant so i dont have to worry about stamina... btw im level 20 and i honestly came close to beating him like at level 15, i never came close since ( i was dodging like magic then).

EDIT: HAHAHA I DID IT. i threw a 8 bombs used 4 estus flasks and a fire resin. I climbed the stairs( like in the ign video) and i moved over to the ledge, when the capra fell off the side i took the opportunity to throw bombs.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By freakin9

Yeah this game is a weird mix between brutally hard solo(well without magic), to a joke with other people. The first game struck a much better balance in that respect.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By biggiedubs

I hate that guy so much, but I'd like to point out that he's optional, but only if you have the Master Key / are a thief. He gives you the key to the sewers, which eventually leads to Blighttown, but if you go down to New Londo, and use the Master Key you can skip straight to Blighttown. You'd be underlevelled, but there's reason you can't just grind in that area IF you hate him so much.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HotSauceMagik

Beat him on the first try. Run straight at and up the stairs. You will have enough time up there to bait and take out the dogs. The demon itself then isn't hard. I lured him up the stairs then jumped off to get him to jump then run back up and do plunge attach.

Easy peasy.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT

Equip a spear, get up the stairs, kill dogs, poke at Capra Demon.

If he comes too close roll off of stairs, he'll follow, go back up stairs and continue to poke.

When he puts both swords together get out of there as those attacks hit hard.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SoylentGreen

Yeah, that guy was a bitch.

What that IGN video shows is pretty much the way to do it - don't try to tank him, run up the stairs, kill the dogs, poke at him one or two times, then jump off before he kills you. Rinse and repeat until he dies. You'll need to get lucky, though; I found that he can actually jump off of those stairs after you if he's in the right spot.

Man, I hated that asshole.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I did the following. I used a very light armor at the time, so 2 hits from the Capra would kill me. I runned along the left side, up the stairs. There is an small edge in the end, I got there, and I killed the 2 dogs first from there. The Capra may take some tries to get to you, so it gives you some extra juice to kill the doggies. Once the Capra gets near, just jump down, roll, wait for him to jump and repeat until you kill both dogs. After that, the fight is a joke. He is really weak, and all his attacks can be blocked. Just equip the Eagle Shield and if you have an spear and voila.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grissefar

@DragoonKain1687 said:

I did the following. I used a very light armor at the time, so 2 hits from the Capra would kill me. I runned along the left side, up the stairs. There is an small edge in the end, I got there, and I killed the 2 dogs first from there. The Capra may take some tries to get to you, so it gives you some extra juice to kill the doggies. Once the Capra gets near, just jump down, roll, wait for him to jump and repeat until you kill both dogs. After that, the fight is a joke. He is really weak, and all his attacks can be blocked. Just equip the Eagle Shield and if you have an spear and voila.

Great advice there.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By strainedeyes

Summoning people and running the risk of being invaded before you get to the boss, is a big part of the game. A bunch of the bosses also have NPCs that you can summon who will help you out. You won't be less of a man if you play the game like it was meant to be played.

Also, get up those stairs and you'll be golden.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By me3639
    @thisguyrich said:

Thus far i have not been as frustrated by any other boss in the game; for the first time I am tempted to call this game unfair. Basically, whenever I walk into that room one of two things happens. Either I dodge right, the camera gets stuck behind some architecture or foliage, and I die, or I dodge left and get cornered by the dogs, who prevent me from rolling away from the Capra Demon and interrupt any attack I try on them, rendering me vulnerable. On average I last about five seconds.

Could not have said it better myself. This is where the game reminds you its really a joke. As for advice, i used the long spear, but getting up the stairs and onto the ledge is the best place. This is all part of that "the game is fair crap" moments everyone preaches.
    AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AndyD74

One thing to keep in mind is that after you've plunge attacked him and are heading back up the stairs for another shot, he can hit you while you are going up the stairs even though he's on the ground, so keep your shield up as you head back up the stairs for another plunge attack.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @thisguyrich said:

Its been 13 hours. How has it gone? 
    Zacr81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zacr81

I dont know why so many people have trouble with him, I beat him my first try with no trouble. So easy. I think a lot of players forget that watch and maintain stamina. You can block all his attacks, just take your time and pick away at him.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By roland_d11

@Zacr81: Beating him is not the problem, surviving the first 5 seconds can be. Don't forget that they made the encounter easier early this year with a patch, you get a little more space after you enter the room than before the patch.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

I've only ever died once to this guy. Once I was in the room and saw the stairs and the ledge up top, it became incredibly easy. I've yet to die by the hand of the Capra Demon after that first time.

I'm a non-magic user (literally, it's all sword and board). With my Man-Serpent Greatsword +15, it took maybe four swings to fuck Capra Demon up.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Terramagi

Get the Wolf Ring from Darkroot Garden.

Enter fog gate.

FUCKING RUN TO THE STAIRS

DON'T BLOCK BITCH FUCKING RUN

HUG THE WALL, HUG THE SCAFFOLDING.

STAB DOGS

ARE THE DOGS DEAD?

If they are you win, just falling attack him or whatever the hell you feel like. Maybe pyromancy, maybe fire bombs.

If they aren't, you're already back at the bonfire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.