Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Class suggestions for second playthrough

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So since the dlc is out now I've been thinking of trying to play through Dark Souls again and if I get really sucked in I'll be purchasing the extra content. However, I am not sure what class to play as. My first playthrough I was a pyro who focused on dodges and swords but later in the game I switched to heavy armor and poise. To say the least I want to experiment with something different, I'm considering the sorcerer but have a bit of interest in classes like the thief (and basically anything that is different than pyro). I was hoping people could share their experiences with their preferred class and give me some advice! 

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Play an Architect.

nodachie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nodachie

Sorcerer can be amazingly potent. If you ha dodging down to an art then timing the casting will be easy as well. The biggest challenge with a solid caster, i found at least, is the lock on range limit. Usually you are in a dangerous area to stay locked on, plus dumping all points into magics leaves you very exposed to heavy damage.

The whole game is very different when you are a sorcerer compared to a heavy.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

Thief and go all backstabs!

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Go for Cleric, it provided me with a fun challenge personally.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By YOU_DIED

Dex/Int master race, do Deprived

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By psylah
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Imsorrymsjackson

Is the cleric the archer type class?
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Nodachie

Sorcerer can be amazingly potent. If you ha dodging down to an art then timing the casting will be easy as well. The biggest challenge with a solid caster, i found at least, is the lock on range limit. Usually you are in a dangerous area to stay locked on, plus dumping all points into magics leaves you very exposed to heavy damage.

Ya the soul arrows seem really useful and I imagine they only get better. Just that alone changed my tactics on how to fight the asylum boss. I'm leaning towards sorcerer the most right now
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Genkkaku

I'd say experiment with the opposite of your first build.. My first and main was a big sword big shield, high Str.. My second was a quick Pyro.. and then my third for fun was a nimble archer, and I'll admit that was super fun, just shooting arrows a guys from a distance..

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Maybe go for a Sorcery-type character? Since you've already beaten the game as a more durable character, why not go for one where you have to dodge? Also you can murder most bosses super easily.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Sackmanjones said:

@Nodachie

Ya the soul arrows seem really useful and I imagine they only get better. Just that alone changed my tactics on how to fight the asylum boss. I'm leaning towards sorcerer the most right now

Do it, the new spells from the DLC make sorcerer a viable choice for both PvE and PvP. Make sure you invest in attunement, but int should be your top skill.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chippy180
    No Caption Provided

Ah g'wan. Everything is fine up until Sen's Fortress, when the whip transforms from rubber to dental floss.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Deusx

Those builds are so old and dumb, they wouldn't work because a) You would just get slapped PvE or b) you would just get slapped PvP.

Go with whatever. If it's your second playthrough I would assume you already know classes don't mean shit in that game. Just choose what you want to do, magic/faith/str/dex or some weird dumb build.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb

I pretty much just pick the Warrior every time. He just fits my playstyle and is very easily molded into several cool melee builds. And I kind of dislike the ranged combat in the game, soooo.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mosespippy

@Sackmanjones said:

@Imsorrymsjackson

No, I think that was hunter. Cleric is the one that uses faith based spells. Basically there aren't any offensive spells in that category until late game so it's a rather fragile character early on; even more fragile than normal. I did a cleric as a dex/faith as my second character and it was rather difficult. A level 1 pyro build seems like it would be easy after doing a run as a cleric that wouldn't leave Way of White (all offensive miracles except for 2 are covenant related).

If I were doing a new character for the DLC that was a spell caster then I'd go with a sorcerer since four of the six new spells are sorceries. Thief is no joke though. With the DWGR nerfed and the bandit knife being so OP on crits it's a scary combo in PVP since most old builds are crippled now.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @mosespippy

@Sackmanjones said:

@Imsorrymsjackson

No, I think that was hunter. Cleric is the one that uses faith based spells. Basically there aren't any offensive spells in that category until late game so it's a rather fragile character early on; even more fragile than normal. I did a cleric as a dex/faith as my second character and it was rather difficult. A level 1 pyro build seems like it would be easy after doing a run as a cleric that wouldn't leave Way of White (all offensive miracles except for 2 are covenant related).

If I were doing a new character for the DLC that was a spell caster then I'd go with a sorcerer since four of the six new spells are sorceries. Thief is no joke though. With the DWGR nerfed and the bandit knife being so OP on crits it's a scary combo in PVP since most old builds are crippled now.

How is the thief is just the normal game. I will say I tend to For backstabs so if he has some sort of bonus for that it may be appealing
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mosespippy

@Sackmanjones: I've never done thief myself but the bandit knife (thief starting weapon, drop from hollow thief) is great for backstabs. There is a weapon stat that they don't tell you which is crit bonus. Bandit knife does 147% crit bonus while most other weapons only do 100. Pair it with a Hornet Ring for an extra 50% and backstabs will get you huge bonuses. Even if you don't do a thief build you might want to have the knife as a secondary weapon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.