Coming back to the game

#1 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

So I bought Dark Souls day one, played through the gargoyles and beat the titanite demon. Then Battlefield 3 and Skyrim came out so I put it down for a while. I'm gonna start again today. I had a Pyromancer but I had pumped intelligence and apparently that's useless. I was wondering if there's a optimal class akin to the royal in Demon's Souls? I loved the moonlight spear, sticky bow, soul arrow combo in that game, so I'd love to find a build like that. I don't want to use a guide because I love the exploration and finding tactics by myself. I'd just like help on picking a class, which stats to pump etc..Id really appreciate it!

#2 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I would say that class is Pyromancer.

#3 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Spear & shield combo with pyromancer flame is good option, if you just want to takes things slow and steady. Can't really go wrong with that. Grab a bow for range and you're good to go.

After 15 levels or so, the notion of starting classes quickly become increasingly irrelevant.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I went with the standard knight shield sword combo. It seems to be working out alright. I finally just killed that Taurus demon man this game can get so intense.

#5 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

what you want is the pyromancer (minus all the INT).

sticky bow = black bow of pharis (best range, starts with A DEX bonus (up to S), and can be pumped to +15. can be acquired pretty early in the game). next, you want the lightning spear (best spear until silver knight spear later in the game) and instead of soul arrow, you can just fireballs, then join the chaos covenant and get some wicked pyromancy spells.

remember that DEX affects both your bow and your spears the most. and i think i saw a video on youtube that shows DEX improvoes spellcasting time (though VERY miniscule).

you don't need to spend levels into upgrading pyromancy, but you can upgrade the flame at the cost of souls. This is how i played my first playthrough.

#6 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@slantedwindows That was pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you! Another thing, I barely put any points into health, endurance in Demon's souls. Was there a set limit on strength, health, endurance before I stop and start pumping it all into dex?
#7 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -
@wmaustin55
@slantedwindows That was pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you! Another thing, I barely put any points into health, endurance in Demon's souls. Was there a set limit on strength, health, endurance before I stop and start pumping it all into dex?
Endurance and Vitality are super important, I never found the weapon scaling to be that effective so I wouldn't go whole hog into DEX. Especially when a good lightning weapon can get you through the whole game, and they have no scaling at all.

Also a lot of stats start getting diminishing returns around 40, Endurance for example only increases your equip load after 40, it stops increasing your total END.
#8 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@Geo7877 Okay, I saw 40 for end somewhere else too, so that's a good stopping point. Does health start giving diminishing returns as well? I was just really shocked when I found out that pyro wasn't really affected by a stat...and then felt very dumb, haha
#9 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

I think I get anxiety with games like this, I'm so neurotic about not wanting to fuck up stats and stuff when in real life I'm really laid back. I was the same with Diablo 2

#10 Edited by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

@Geo7877 Okay, I saw 40 for end somewhere else too, so that's a good stopping point. Does health start giving diminishing returns as well? I was just really shocked when I found out that pyro wasn't really affected by a stat...and then felt very dumb, haha

Health continues to increase, but it starts to increase at a much slower rate after 40.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Stats - This gives a really good breakdown of the stats.

#11 Edited by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

@wmaustin55: depends on your play style.

get the ring of favor and protection ASAP. it boosts VIT and END 20%, so you can spend your points more on DEX and maybe some STR. There will come a time when you will have to wean yourself off the ring (because it breaks as soon as you take it off) - that's about the time you should invest more aggressively into VIT/END.

you should also get the Dark Grain Wood Ring... it allows you do do muthafuckin backflips (!!!!!) even if you are at 50% equip burden, thereby lessening the need for raising END. the backflips are also much much faster than the standard roll and seems to have more frames of invincibility.

but like i said, its up to your play style. I don't even tank anymore, and i just go balls to the wall and try to parry or backstab as much as i can - that way, i don't need to take hits, or keep an eye on my END (both let me ruin fools while being invincible for the duration of the attack).

TL;DR - get ring of favor and protection for 20% VIT/END boost. Raise VIT/END as needed, but focus more on DEX. Get the Wood Grain Ring ASAP. MUTHAFUCKIN BACKFLIPS! PARRY PARRY PARRY PARRY.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@slantedwindows said:

@wmaustin55: depends on your play style.

get the ring of favor and protection ASAP. it boosts VIT and END 20%, so you can spend your points more on DEX and maybe some STR. There will come a time when you will have to wean yourself off the ring (because it breaks as soon as you take it off) - that's about the time you should invest more aggressively into VIT/END.

you should also get the Dark Grain Wood Ring... it allows you do do muthafuckin backflips (!!!!!) even if you are at 50% equip burden, thereby lessening the need for raising END. the backflips are also much much faster than the standard roll and seems to have more frames of invincibility.

but like i said, its up to your play style. I don't even tank anymore, and i just go balls to the wall and try to parry or backstab as much as i can - that way, i don't need to take hits, or keep an eye on my END (both let me ruin fools while being invincible for the duration of the attack).

TL;DR - get ring of favor and protection for 20% VIT/END boost. Raise VIT/END as needed, but focus more on DEX. Get the Wood Grain Ring ASAP. MUTHAFUCKIN BACKFLIPS! PARRY PARRY PARRY PARRY.

I straddle the line between blocking and going for backstabs. I also use a claymore. That has a nice arch that protects my back. Full level 10 lighting on it rips though dudes. 
#13 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

Endurance and Vitality are super important, I never found the weapon scaling to be that effective so I wouldn't go whole hog into DEX.

my black bow of pharis +15 with 42 DEX does 85 base damage with an additional +282 from the DEX bonus (367 TOTAL). My silver Knight Spear +5 does 376.

But you are right, don't go "whole hog." It takes some time to attain levels after a while, get a feel for the armor you want to use and the amount of health you need to stay alive and build accordingly. you'll never have a "perfect" build - a crushing PvE build might be awful at PvP and vice versa. Play the game your way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.