Crystal Lizards

#1 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

So the Crystal Lizards are back. Has anyone else run into one yet? I encountered one so far (in the barrels right before the Taurus Demon boss fight, you can actually see Rorie break the barrel but miss the lizard in the quick look, bummer) and they seem a lot easier to kill now. Basically what happened to me is I broke the barrel it hides in and it wound up on the staircase and immediately ran down. I chased and found it running against the wall downstairs (a familiar 'oh shit it's gonna disappear' moment for anyone who played Demon's Souls) but it did not disappear right away, I was able to run up and hit it once. After that it got up and ran again, slipping away and running into the wall. I thought I was screwed for sure as I ran after it, but it actually didn't disappear and I was able to kill it!

So does anyone know if the lizards actually disappear in this one? Or if they still have the same spawning conditions as in Demon's Souls? Between them at least being easier to kill and being able to buy some crafting shards, did From actually throw us a bone on this one?

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

They made the Crystal Lizards easier because they added Orichalcum Lizards that can't actually be seen unless you know where they are.

#3 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

That's good news. I fucking hated suicidal crystal lizards.

#4 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@Brodehouse: Oh. And I assume they are the only way to get the really good crafting shit again? Anything on the respawns? I've looked for info online but info in English still seems pretty barebones at this point.
#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker Isn't it insane that I can make up something brutal and ridiculous and it sounds like something From would actually do?
#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11454 posts) -

@Brodehouse: So you were lying about the invisi-lizards?

#7 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@Brodehouse: Ha, you had me going there!
#8 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan An invisible collectible? That's like telling someone to go to Control Point D.
#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11454 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Touche. Seems like I'm in bad company here.

#10 Posted by Vashyron (213 posts) -

Curse you crystal lizards! Back to torment me with your running away!

#11 Posted by musclerider (591 posts) -

I was rolling through some barrels and one popped out and I had no idea what it was (never played Demon's souls). Firebombed the shit out of it though.

#12 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

[...]they added Orichalcum Lizards that can't actually be seen unless you know where they are.

You had me. You totally fucking had me. XD

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15109 posts) -

Are they really? I thought they did away with them. Can anyone point to the timestamp of the one supposedly in the quicklook?

#14 Posted by serujiow (20 posts) -

From the official guide it says that they do disappear forever if they get away, but I'm not sure but the drops don't seem to be exclusive to the lizards, they are just the rare drops for other enemies, not absolutely sure about that part though. There are also new lizard like enemies that only appear when playing online.

#15 Posted by TheHT (11683 posts) -

Found one while in the forest area. On those narrow side-walkways. Saw the thing run and impulsively abandoned all restraint and took chase haha.

#16 Posted by YoThatLimp (1932 posts) -
@serujiow said:

From the official guide it says that they do disappear forever if they get away, but I'm not sure but the drops don't seem to be exclusive to the lizards, they are just the rare drops for other enemies, not absolutely sure about that part though. There are also new lizard like enemies that only appear when playing online.

Crystal lizards definitely come back if you missed them and you die.  That's how I got the one right before the Taurus fight.
#17 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -

Yep same for me.

#18 Posted by mason (264 posts) -

If I learned anything from Shadow of the Colossus, it's "All glowy lizards must die". The only good lizard is a lizard with an arrow sticking through it.

#19 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@TheHT: Yeah, I saw that one too, in the long vertical ledge path that leads to that even deeper section of the forest, right? It disappeared on me so hopefully it'll be back next time I'm there.

@Demoskinos: at around 51 minutes in. Rorie is returning to the tower after dying to the dragon and he rolls into the barrel nearest the stairs, you can see the lizard pop out and fall down the stairs for just a split second. I would have missed it the exact same way if someone hadn't left a message saying there was a lizard around.
#20 Posted by TheHT (11683 posts) -

@SuperfluousMoniker: Yeah, I was going to check it out when headed back from killing (re:cheesing) the Moonlight Butterfly or whatever it's called when I decided to cash some soulks rather than meet an unexpected death.

After using the watchtower basement key and headed up that path from the bottom instead I actually ran right up to it before I noticed it or it me, since it only started to flee after I had enough time to think "what the fuck is this thing?"

#21 Posted by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -

@YoThatLimp: Just because you caught one eventually doesn't mean you caught them all... based on the way Demon's Souls was, a lizard will spawn a set number of times (looks like 2 times from what I've seen), so if you catch it the first time you have a chance to get another one, and then no more will spawn from that location.

It's tough to say, I'm certainly not sure about any of this, I just remember the feeling when one of them got away in Demon's Souls, and I knew I was missing out on some rare mats.

#22 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@bcjohnnie: I've checked for respawns in the two places where I've seen and killed them, but never had a respawn. The one that I missed did respawn when I came back though. So I think they will respawn if you miss them, and when killed they're gone forever. So if you're low on humanity, it might actually be a good idea to let a lizard disappear, then come back later with a better drop rate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.