Dark Souls Design Works

#1 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

It's probably old news but I don't think it's been mentioned here before but anyway if any of folks are interested in the lore and development of Darks Souls then there's a (Japanese language only) book called Dark Souls Design Works. It's mostly filled with concept art but more importantly it explains why the things the way they are as well as some bits of trivia and lore. I'll post a video review I just stumbled on recently where the guy talks a little about what he read (but not giving out too much in respect to the developers.) Some interesting key points include the Black Phantoms that were invading people who broke the street date, why Gwynevere breasts were so unusually large(!) and why Logan was the way he was when you found him on the top of the Duke's Archives.

As I said before, it's mostly concept art but every little tit bit of information when it comes to this game is rather worthwhile. Anyway, I just thought some of guys might be interested.

#2 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -

^___~

#3 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

God damnit now I need to learn Japanese

#4 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Wait, there's a reason for Gwynevere's boobs being so large? I call bull on that. Nice find, though. Next step is learning Japanese.

#5 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

I love EpicDudeBro's videos.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (8573 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

Wait, there's a reason for Gwynevere's boobs being so large? I call bull on that. Nice find, though. Next step is learning Japanese.

Well, the reason being "because the artist really, really wanted them to be that big", but sure. ;)

#7 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@eroticfishcake: Thanks for the vid! Learned some interesting things about the lore and wished there was more. I didn't even know Ceaseless Discharge was a son, makes sense that he doesn't attack you till you desecrate his sister's grave for some rags! Makes me wonder what other possible lore and interesting tidbits there is for every other NPC/Boss.

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I would rather not know more about the lore. I love the mystery of the world.

#9 Edited by StrainedEyes (1322 posts) -

This guy is finding the reason why Logan took his clothes off way too funny, actually he is finding everything too funny. Really annoying.

#10 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

why Gwynevere breasts were so unusually large(!)

because japan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.