Dark Souls Determined to Break Your Soul and Sanity in October

• 74 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3093 posts) -

Demon's Souls was one of the most surprising--and easily the most difficult--releases in 2009. From Software is wasting no time with a sequel--er, spiritual successor. Dark Souls has been described as more or less an unofficial sequel to Demon's Souls, which mean only the most hardcore should apply here.

When will you have a chance to play Dark Souls? The answer is October. October something something. There's no specific date yet but the same month of Halloween is fitting. One can begin preparation...now.

As for me, I vastly prefer watching other people suffer through these games. This shall be no different.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3093 posts) -

Demon's Souls was one of the most surprising--and easily the most difficult--releases in 2009. From Software is wasting no time with a sequel--er, spiritual successor. Dark Souls has been described as more or less an unofficial sequel to Demon's Souls, which mean only the most hardcore should apply here.

When will you have a chance to play Dark Souls? The answer is October. October something something. There's no specific date yet but the same month of Halloween is fitting. One can begin preparation...now.

As for me, I vastly prefer watching other people suffer through these games. This shall be no different.

Staff
#2 Posted by EverFrost (38 posts) -

Aww yeah

#3 Posted by JoshyLee (169 posts) -

Can't wait.

#4 Edited by NTM (7037 posts) -

You mean releases in 2009? Anyways, Demon's souls isn't exactly hard, it's just time consuming since you have to keep upgrading and grinding. The only way it's hard is if you're expecting to run right through it like any other game. This game looks epic, literally.
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So ya....demon souls multiplatform 

#6 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

The true Demon's Souls starts here.

#7 Posted by perilator666 (431 posts) -

i can't help but chuckle when people say demon's souls was hard.

#8 Posted by Rolento (261 posts) -

Gonna be so good.  Cannot wait.

#9 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Never completed Demons souls, but will freaking pick this up.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (20625 posts) -

I suppose the trailer will be posted separate? Always looks rather weird when it's split like that, like GB's posting the same story twice; once in text, then video.

#11 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

2009 homie.

#12 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

Demon souls is like easier than barbiee games! I ess bezzt playar evar at this game! lame that anyone would find it hard when i can beat it from scratch in like 12 seconds without touching controller!!!

#13 Posted by Chemin (630 posts) -

Platinum in Demon's Souls. Planning to shed my sanity over this one too.

#14 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It literally looks just like Demons Souls, and I couldn't be happier about that. Christ, the animations are even the same. I can't wait.

#15 Posted by ZmillA (2232 posts) -

want

#16 Posted by Keegs (106 posts) -

Yay - bring on MOAR creepy mindflayer badguys!

#17 Posted by jford (54 posts) -

I think Demon's Souls came out in 2009.

#18 Posted by freakin9 (853 posts) -

People that dismissed this game as "that hard game" I think missed out.  Eventually the game got easier and sometimes you wanted to die due to the way the game worked, which was especially cool.

#19 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Am I the only one who loves the look and lore of Demon's Souls?

Because that shit is cool as hell.

#20 Posted by PieGuy (313 posts) -

I'll need to get to grips with Demon's Souls. Not a user friendly game and wears down your patience.

Love the game, it is amazing. The sense of reward for beating a world is second to none. However get 3/4 through and die then die again losing 200,000 souls. OMGWTF NOOOOOOO! Yeah I'll get back to this game someday.

#21 Posted by yyZiggurat (991 posts) -

This is one of my 2011 Must Buys.  I'll miss Atlus' preorder bonuses.

#22 Posted by FesteringNeon (2153 posts) -

How can you post this.. and not anger us. : /
fuuucccccckkkkk

#23 Posted by Yummylee (20625 posts) -
@buft said:
" Demon souls is like easier than barbiee games! I ess bezzt playar evar at this game! lame that anyone would find it hard when i can beat it from scratch in like 12 seconds without touching controller!!! "
Nah man demonz lulz wos lik the hardst gaem eva n lik teh cunnat cuntrals wear so frikin brken n teh gaem wudnt let me run n gun n only fag masochinamen w00 hate demselvs pluyd dis!!!
#24 Edited by RuneseekerMireille (317 posts) -

This game is gonna be great! Demon's Souls was easily the best game I've played in years, and I can't wait for it's sequel!
...I think I'm actually more exited for this than Skyrim, now that I've seen the trailer!

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -
@jford said:
" I think Demon's Souls came out in 2009. "
It was early '09 in Japan, late '09 in the states, and then mid '10 for the rest of the world.
#26 Posted by Akeldama (4217 posts) -

Stoked!

#27 Posted by Brendan (7523 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @buft said:
" Demon souls is like easier than barbiee games! I ess bezzt playar evar at this game! lame that anyone would find it hard when i can beat it from scratch in like 12 seconds without touching controller!!! "
Nah man demonz lulz wos lik the hardst gaem eva n lik teh cunnat cuntrals wear so frikin brken n teh gaem wudnt let me run n gun n only fag masochinamen w00 hate demselvs pluyd dis!!! "
You should both of you be ashamed of yourselves.
#28 Posted by Korolev (1649 posts) -

Well, now I know what to get my brother for Christmas. 

#29 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Good thing I'll be finished college by then, because this is one of thoooOOOOOooose games.

#30 Posted by Yummylee (20625 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" @buft said:
Nah man demonz lulz wos lik the hardst gaem eva n lik teh cunnat cuntrals wear so frikin brken n teh gaem wudnt let me run n gun n only fag masochinamen w00 hate demselvs pluyd dis!!! "
You should both of you be ashamed of yourselves. "
I put a lot of work into that. Surprises me to no end the skill some people must posses to type like that on daily basis. Anywhoo the deed is done, the double-negative is in place, and I shall stand by my toils! Now off with you and your judgements! U_U
#31 Posted by RustySpoon (143 posts) -

I watched a friend punch a chair across the room while playing Demons Souls. Yes, punch.

#32 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

Looking forward to it. Approaching obstacles with caution instead of rushing and button mashing your way through can help alleviate suffering through the first game. I'll use the same tactics when playing Dark Souls. Thanks for the news.

#33 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -
@RustySpoon said:
" I watched a friend punch a chair across the room while playing Demons Souls. Yes, punch. "
Would your friend happen to be a Captain?
#34 Posted by Mayu_Zane (603 posts) -

Loved Demon's Souls. Looking forward to getting my skull caved in by Dark Souls.

#35 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

It was hard... but not THAT hard.

#36 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

YES!!!!!

But where is the trailer, grr.

#37 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Awesome! Looks like my october is planned.

This is making me want to start a NG+++ in demons souls though...
#38 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

Demon's Souls is a game of high risk/reward and that's why it's gotten a "bad" rep.  But if you just use caution and approach it with decent tactics it's not very difficult.

Don't miss out, people.

#39 Posted by powerpc127 (99 posts) -
@Korolev said:
" Well, now I know what to get my brother for Christmas.  "
You're sick :D
#40 Posted by Nasar7 (2501 posts) -

First day purchase. Considering getting it on 360 just to invade and murder all those delicious Demon's Souls virgins. So pumped for this.

#41 Posted by Rayeth (1001 posts) -

Going to be awesome.  If the two versions are on par it might be hilarious to play it on 360 and see all the tears all over again.

#42 Posted by StealthRaptor (525 posts) -

October something something? Didn't know it was a leap year...

Ba-dum cshh!

#43 Posted by metalsnakezero (2273 posts) -

Smart idea to have it come out on Halloween month.
I look forward to dying again.

#44 Posted by metalsnakezero (2273 posts) -
@powerpc127 said:
" @Korolev said:
" Well, now I know what to get my brother for Christmas.  "
You're sick :D "
I got my copy of Demon's souls on Christmas. Best present I ever got.
#45 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -

Sweet.  Demon's Souls kicked my ass, but I'd still give Dark Souls a shot.

#46 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5236 posts) -

I missed out on the first one, but since this one is coming to 360 I am totally on board with this style of gameplay.

I wanna hurt.

#47 Posted by swamplord666 (1752 posts) -

Currently losing my sanity over flamelurker... le-fucking-sigh...

#48 Posted by JackSukeru (5819 posts) -

My only gripe with what I've seen so far is that I wish that they would have just called it Dark's Souls.

#49 Posted by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

The first game made a man out of us all.

#50 Posted by DigitalOpiate (21 posts) -

Can't wait, DS is my favorite ps3 exclusive. Its really wasn't that hard if you took the time to figure out the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.