Dark souls. Four kings NG+

#1 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

Dark Souls. how do i defeat four kings? NG+?

i am on my 2nd playthrough in dark souls. now am at the four kings boss. in the first playthrough. i remember beating them pretty easily. i dont remember even using flasks or any healing. now. am using humanity to heal and i cant beat them. 1 of them is the first. before i even kill one. all the rest come and it becomes an impossible battle. what strategy should i use. am using black knight greataxe. dealing about 290 damage to them a hit and am using stone armor. the best i have. well. i have havel armor. but its really about 2% better. what to do? on the first playthough, they never even stuck in my mind because i beat them easily.

i barely killed one of them. the magical attack is unavoidable. neither their power up attack. and the attack where the boss carries me and idk. squeezes me. u have to get a huge hit. each of these attacks are ranging from 100% to 60% damage each.

i dont have any good elemental weapons. i go raw. twinkling titanite weapons.

#2 Edited by Zevvion (2093 posts) -

I can't remember what I did in NG+ honestly. I just started an entirely new game from scratch a two days ago and I just beat them by wearing Havel's, and two handing my weapon. When stamina is depleted, drink, then attack and repeat. Obviously this wasn't NG+ though.

They deal magic damage I believe, so if you're a faith user you can use Magic Barrier. Also, the point is to have high poise and magic defense. I don't know off the top of my hat if Stone Armor has that better than Havel's.

But yeah, I can't really remember what I did. But I don't recall it being that much harder.

#3 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

4 Kings are a DPS race. Just do as much damage as you can output as fast as you can. None of this blocking nonsense, it just wastes time.

Pretty sure I was using havel's set and a black knight greatsword 2 handed. The 2 handed part is important.

#4 Edited by benspyda (2038 posts) -

@canteu: Yea that's what I did and didn't have any trouble with them in NG+. Go on the offensive Vinny style! Why does everything bolden for no reason?

#5 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@canteu: agree with you. since many of their attacks cannot be avoided.

#6 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

I must have run to this fight 40 times on NG+. I was doing fine damage with a BKH but the magic was killing me. I think I ended up using whatever had the most magic resistance and used Great Magic Barrier which blocks a huge amount of the magic damage.

The other option you could do is use a buff to increase your DPS. I don't remember if BKGA can be buffed. I know BKH can and the BK Swords can't. If it can't then you can at least use Power Within to increase your damage.

#7 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2565 posts) -

I did this fight on NG+ yesterday after Patrick did it. I cleared the whole New Londo area from scratch without stopping, so I had about 17 estus left having taken it slow once I cleared the water. The 3 Kings got me down to about 7 Estus, so I used around 10 in the fight - the strategy I used was very similar to Vinny and Patrick, just circle strafe constantly (that avoids their really heavy sword attacks) keep your shield up when not recharging endurance and absolutely mash R1/R2 when you get an opening. Use your estus when you run out of stamina.

I didn't dodge roll once, I just tanked it and kept as close as possible so all of my swings would hit.

My character has 45 vit, end and dex and wears full Giant Armor (one of the highest def armors in the game, bought from the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo). I had actually worn out my Greatscythe on the way to the boss (just my luck) so I used an Uchigatana +15, which only did about 200-300 per attack one handed, though bleed can do quite a bit if I got consecutive hits.

#8 Edited by development (2433 posts) -

Well, like Rorie says, "the chat is suggesting you use every weapon in the game."

Buuut, like someone else said, it's a DPS battle, moreso than any other fight, and as such there's no better weapon than the Ricard's rapier R2 attack accompanied by a strong enchantment. It's the submachine gun of Dark Souls.

#9 Edited by IBurningStar (2187 posts) -

@sgt_ham: That isn't true, all of their attacks can be avoided. It requires some fancy footwork on your part, but it can be done.

4K is basically a pure DPS race at it's core. In a regular new game they aren't too bad because they have small health pools. However, NG+ gives each of them a very healthy bump up in life and greatly increases they odds of multiple kings being alive at once. You have to avoid this. I suggest taking on a offensive defense. Roll into their attacks and then strike while they are open. If done correctly the animation will protect you from the damage. Don't try to stand around and tank them. You will waste too much time blocking and could end up fighting more than 4 kings.

#10 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1171 posts) -

I was lucky enough to like the Black Knight Halberd before even knowing that it was ridiculously good. Four Kings is usually a Poise Stacking 2-Handed R2 Smackdown for me because of it.

So your DPS is important, so blocking isn't worth it. You're either putting on Havel's or your going naked and fast rolling their attacks. You got to get in and in and in again and again and again.

#11 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Before the nerf came in I used 2H black knight sword combined with iron flesh to clear them out. The moment you have more than 1 of them around you're in trouble.

#12 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5721 posts) -

Easy with a super generic build, difficult with a "try everything" sort of build.

#13 Posted by seveword (177 posts) -

Attack, don't block. You'll heal occasionally, so come in with 20 estus. Keep attacking. Have you stopped attacking? Don't. Two hand whatever the hell does the most damage and smash away. Great magic barrier doesn't last long but is great at reducing damage from the AOE and the grab. Use a green herb or something else to increase stamina regen, if possible. Never try to fight two at once. Don't die. Don't summon the Beatrice witch either, because they get a health boost and are nigh impossible, plus she's useless during the fight.

#14 Edited by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

Two-handing your weapon and casting Iron Flesh should do the trick (or put on the Wolf Ring for a boost in poise that should grant a similar effect). Could always equip the Crest Shield to help block the occasional spell they toss at you. That's what I've always done. Hasn't failed me yet.

#15 Posted by bushpusherr (809 posts) -

Cloranthy ring for stamina regen, heavy armor, two-hand your BK Axe, and get all up in them guts and circle strafe the fuck out of em, taking estus as needed.

#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3066 posts) -

The first time I fought them on NG+, I got them within a couple of hits from death. I haven't gotten anywhere close to that for months. I feel your pain.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4743 posts) -

Either get a higher damage weapon or learn to dodge their attacks like a ninja. Those are pretty much your options.

#18 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

what. no you can't dodge few of their attacks. i will try some protection methods and go for high and quick damage. i just got the quelagg furry swoard and i upgrade it to +5. i think it has a special ability. it will increase damage for each humanity i eat. up to 10.

#19 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

If you have miracles, Great Magic Barrier really helps on this fight in NG+, it got me through it anyway. The trick is trying to recast it during the fight, which takes a little luck.

#20 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@sgt_ham: That isn't true, all of their attacks can be avoided. It requires some fancy footwork on your part, but it can be done.

4K is basically a pure DPS race at it's core. In a regular new game they aren't too bad because they have small health pools. However, NG+ gives each of them a very healthy bump up in life and greatly increases they odds of multiple kings being alive at once. You have to avoid this. I suggest taking on a offensive defense. Roll into their attacks and then strike while they are open. If done correctly the animation will protect you from the damage. Don't try to stand around and tank them. You will waste too much time blocking and could end up fighting more than 4 kings.

Yea, what this guy said. You can find videos on youtube of people doing SL 1 NG+ or greater 4 kings runs with no hits taken. @sgt_ham you say you're using raw weapons? I'd recommend switching to something with better scaling or an elemental depending on your stats. Are you strength or dex focused?

#21 Posted by hippocrit (252 posts) -

Double check that your weapon is fully upgraded.

As others have said, all attacks are avoidable. The magic attacks are hardest, but they're telegraphed. Use the Crest Shield and/or Great Magic Barrier. I used Crest.

Learn to quickly switch from 2 hand to 1 and back so you can block IF NEED BE and still get max damage with your swings.

Keep swinging at a dying King. You get extra damage off the combined lifebar at the bottom.

If you can dodge instead of tank, Power Within is awesome for this fight. Power Within plus a weapon buff is craziness. BKGA won't take a buff, though, so think about your weapon choice.

#22 Edited by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@you_died said:

@iburningstar said:

Yea, what this guy said. You can find videos on youtube of people doing SL 1 NG+ or greater 4 kings runs with no hits taken. @sgt_ham you say you're using raw weapons? I'd recommend switching to something with better scaling or an elemental depending on your stats. Are you strength or dex focused?

yes. my strength is in the 50s my dex is in the 40s. i go with heavy weapons. not good with elemental. especially that i need to kill 4K before i get to the fire blacksmith or whatever his name is. giant black smith and the previous ones only craft magic, enchanted and raw and lightning weapons. not that useful. fire is what i need. but its not possible now. quelagg sword does only 190 damage to 4K and it takes up too much stamina. useless. my BK sword does about 300 damage to it. today i fought again. i killed one. the other one was 99% down. one shot left. i had 15 flasks left. i was getting around 10% damage a hit so there was no need to shield. but the other king surprised me from behind and backshot me. you know backshots do about 60-75% damage. he killed me lol. maybe a should go with power within. kill the first one quickly. followed by the other. and i can take my time with the last two.

#23 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

Double check that your weapon is fully upgraded.

As others have said, all attacks are avoidable. The magic attacks are hardest, but they're telegraphed. Use the Crest Shield and/or Great Magic Barrier. I used Crest.

Learn to quickly switch from 2 hand to 1 and back so you can block IF NEED BE and still get max damage with your swings.

Keep swinging at a dying King. You get extra damage off the combined lifebar at the bottom.

If you can dodge instead of tank, Power Within is awesome for this fight. Power Within plus a weapon buff is craziness. BKGA won't take a buff, though, so think about your weapon choice.

you mean dragon crest shield? it does less damage protection that the havel shield. not to mention that 4Ks attacks will probably outpower it. thanks for the damage tip though. i tried to use iron flesh. but it was grayed out for some reason. dunno why.

#24 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

Another tip that I haven't seen posted yet: Since you want to be 2 handing to maximise damage, try putting the grass crest shield on your back and taking a few green blossoms with you to increase your stamina regeneration. That way you'll be able to get a lot more hits in in a shorter amount of time. I don't think you can use the blossoms while transient curse is active so you'll either have to wait 'till it wears off or just run straight to fight.

#25 Posted by hippocrit (252 posts) -

@sgt_ham: no I mean the Crest Shield, gotten from returning to the asylum. If you're using that I'm assuming you'd be dodging sword swings and attempting a block only on magic attacks. In that case Havels shield's weight would be a liability.

Can't cast Iron Flesh: are you still cursed from transient curse when you reach the abyss? That will prevent you from casting.

#26 Edited by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

i just used the regular crest shield. a single melee hit from 4K takes out all my stamina and throws me away because of its weak stability.

#27 Edited by michael_katarn (81 posts) -

@sgt_ham: Poise up, power within, two hand with Grass crest on your back like @jaycee13 suggested and just hit those guys and drink. If one only does 10% damage from the front might as well maximize your DPS and just drink. Green blossoms can't stack with power within though.

#28 Edited by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@michael_katarn:

@michael_katarn said:

@sgt_ham: Poise up, power within, two hand with Grass crest on your back like @jaycee13 suggested and just hit those guys and drink. If one only does 10% damage from the front might as well maximize your DPS and just drink. Green blossoms can't stack with power within though.

atm am trying to get a +5 dragon king greataxe. it does a great deal of damage. fairly fast attacks after the first one. its at +4 right now. should have gotten an elemental. i got a few but kinda useless. my only chance is havel shield and armor. and some high damage weapon that does at least 300 a shot. one hand wielded. will the dragon king greataxe benefit from the power within?

#29 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@canteu:

@canteu said:

4 Kings are a DPS race. Just do as much damage as you can output as fast as you can. None of this blocking nonsense, it just wastes time.

Pretty sure I was using havel's set and a black knight greatsword 2 handed. The 2 handed part is important.

black knight greatsword. i have it. but there is no point of using it. just about ~5-10% more damage than regular BKS though its way slower when it comes to it attacks. uses a lot of stamina. i have a better chance with a regular BKS.

#30 Posted by Zevvion (2093 posts) -

I recently beat him in NG+. Used Uchigatana +15, Iron Golem set, Ring of Steel Protection, Wolf Ring, power within and Sunlight Blade. It was pretty easy.

I really think your problem lies more in your strategy, not the weapons you use. Before you said 'a single melee hit from 4K takes out all my stamina'. This sounds like you're blocking. You need to not block ever in that fight. Here is literally what you do:

1. Two hand your weapon
2. Close the distance
3. Strike until you're out of stamina
4. Drink Estus
5. Strike until you're out of stamina
6. Drink Estus
7. Strike until you're out of stamina
8. Drink Estus
9. Strike until you're out of stamina
10. Drink Estus
11. Strike until you're out of stamina
12. Drink Estus
13. Strike until you're out of stamina
14. Drink Estus
15. Strike until you're out of stamina
16. Drink Estus
17. Win

When you deviate from this plan in any way it should be only to drink Estus when you're health is low. Otherwise, stick to it.

#31 Edited by Narx (173 posts) -

Did it just this past weekend

20 flasks - two handed claymore +15 and fully upgrade Black Iron armor.

Buffed with the green grass that help your stamina regen faster, I basically kept hitting the attack button.

Every time I tried to go for my shield, I lost the fight.

Four Kings NG+ seems like a DPS race to me!

#32 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@narx said:

Did it just this past weekend

20 flasks - two handed claymore +15 and fully upgrade Black Iron armor.

Buffed with the green grass that help your stamina regen faster, I basically kept hitting the attack button.

Every time I tried to go for my shield, I lost the fight.

Four Kings NG+ seems like a DPS race to me!

yeah. thats what i should do. though i dont have anything +15. though a BKS or a high damage weapon will do just fine.

#33 Edited by pyrodactyl (2183 posts) -

Spam homing crystal soulmass, crystal soul spear with quad damage gear and watch them die in seconds.

#34 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

Spam homing crystal soulmass, crystal soul spear with quad damage gear and watch them die in seconds.

i dont even know what that is.

#35 Posted by groin (848 posts) -

@sgt_ham said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Crown of Dusk, Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, Red Tearstone ring, and Tin Crystallization Catalyst.

#36 Posted by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@groin said:

@sgt_ham said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Crown of Dusk, Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, Red Tearstone ring, and Tin Crystallization Catalyst.

i just beat 4K. i used havel armor and shield. the stone sword. and i used power within. killed the first two kings and took 50% of the 3rd 4king with power within. i ended up killing them all with 9 flasks left and full health. stone sword did a lot of damage.

#37 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -

@sgt_ham said:

Not true. All their attacks can be avoided, as ENB's SL1 challenges have shown.

#38 Edited by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@turambar said:

@sgt_ham said:

we're just normal people. still.i doubt he did that on the first try lol. not to mention he is doing 244 damage with the axe. with such fast attacks. his dexterity and strength must be through the roof then.

#39 Posted by MB (12726 posts) -

@sgt_ham: he was at level 1 for that video...he's using charcoal pine resin and a Hand Axe +15, a starting weapon. 250 or so per hit isn't really that much damage, I was hitting them for far more with my Divine Claymore +10.

#40 Edited by Turambar (6810 posts) -

@sgt_ham said:

@turambar said:

@sgt_ham said:

we're just normal people. still.i doubt he did that on the first try lol. not to mention he is doing 244 damage with the axe. with such fast attacks. his dexterity and strength must be through the roof then.

He's soul level 1, meaning he has 12 str and 9 dexterity. It was certainly not on his first try (you can see a previous blood stain), and his skill level is certainly above mine, yours, and most other people in this thread.

All that above is irrelevant to my point though: nothing in this fight is unavoidable.

Also, grats on beating it.

#41 Edited by BambamCZ (147 posts) -

I think that outside that one Seath encounter you can completely avoid taking any damage. 4Ks have hard to avoid attacks, but you can totally make it through without taking damage. It also depends on your character's mobility. My dex character has no problem "dancing around" the boss and stabbing them most of hte time taking no damage. While my str character with mid roll preffers to just takes some beating waiting for my stamina to recharge.

#42 Edited by SGT_HAM (50 posts) -

@bambamcz said:

I think that outside that one Seath encounter you can completely avoid taking any damage. 4Ks have hard to avoid attacks, but you can totally make it through without taking damage. It also depends on your character's mobility. My dex character has no problem "dancing around" the boss and stabbing them most of hte time taking no damage. While my str character with mid roll preffers to just takes some beating waiting for my stamina to recharge.

weapons with Divine damage beat the crap outta 4K. they have damage multipliers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.