Dark Souls is Surprisingly Awesome!!!

#1 Edited by Cusseta (106 posts) -

I purchased Dark Souls for the 360 on release day and played it for about an hour before deciding it was too "clunky" for my taste. Then, about one month ago, I purchased it again during an XBL sale. Why? I have no clue whatsoever, but I promised myself that I would suffer through at least a couple of hours before putting it down for good (I guess I just wanted to find out what all the fuss was about). A few hours turned into a few days and now I'm addicted. It's one of the only games I play now and at 50(ish) hours of in-game time, it might have become one of my favorite games ever. What I initially found "clunky" was simply a style of game play that I had never experienced before. In fact, it's anything but clunky! It's damn near perfect. Dark Souls, which is (in)famous for its difficulty, is surprisingly fair and only of average difficulty. The hardest part is simply getting over the mindset left behind from every other 3rd-person "hack-and-slash" game and realizing that Dark Souls is about slowly moving forward and treating every new encounter with a degree of caution. To make a long story short, I've discovered what a great game Dark Souls is and I wish I could somehow impress that upon as many gamers as possible. From Software really hooked it up!!! On a side note, Demon Souls (which I've tried because of my new love Dark Souls) is incredible too! I can't believe it took me so long to come around!

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4440 posts) -

Welcome to the Darks Souls club. You've still got a ways to go. Lots of the guys around here are pushing a couple hundred hours. Personally I'm at 300. I should really go back and finish the DLC. I'm half way through it.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Praise the sun!

DaS definitely has an initial barrier, but I can't think of any game that's more satisfying once you overcome that barrier.

As for the difficulty, it's way overhyped by people who didn't get past the early-game. The game is (almost) always fair and challenges that seem insurmountable seem trivial after you clear them. Excepting O&S of course.

#4 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Glad to hear you enjoy it! It's true it isn't too hard once you get the right mindset going.

Oh and Praise the sun!

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15139 posts) -

I'm replaying it right now looking up stuff on the Dark Souls' wiki right now actually. Still a pretty damn fun game.

#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

So, what you're saying is that you've finally hit up that kind of rush? And that you think From Software really rocked it?

#7 Edited by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

i bought it for $7 on Amazon to play on Steam. I'm at 30 hours and i'm finding it to be a brilliantly innovative game in a generation of gaming that lacks new ideas. I think it's unfair to just call the game "hard". Only reason i never started it early on was because i thought people played it just because "it was hard, and that made it rewarding".

The game is surprisingly fair, for the most part, to people who are willing to be cautious.

Edit. read only half of your post and now realize i literally replied with basically what you said in the second half of your post.

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

I just downloaded it on Xbox because it's on sale for 800 MSP. First time playing... Not sure how well this is gonna go. Seems like a fascinating game though.

#9 Edited by JamesJeux007 (500 posts) -

I pretty much had the same thing happen to me a week ago. I stopped playing at Anor Londo because it became a little bit too hard and I thought "Hey, I'll come back to it someday". Picked it up again, started a new character with all the knowledge I gained during my first 20 hour playthrough, and holy balls did it make the game way easier. Just S-Ranked it.

So yeah, Dark Souls is The Shit. Also, knwoledge is power.

#10 Posted by Residentrevil2 (464 posts) -

I think it's pretty tough. I just rang the second bell. I think I'm level 81 and I have armor that is too heavy. Wasn't the best strategy I know.

#11 Edited by RedCream (694 posts) -

Yeah! Pour in more of that Dark Souls love!

#12 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

Be wary of amazing chest.

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I think it's pretty tough. I just rang the second bell. I think I'm level 81 and I have armor that is too heavy. Wasn't the best strategy I know.

Pro tip: Stop leveling your character and upgrade your gear at a blacksmith. For comparison, I finished the game at soul level 70.

#14 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

i really like spears on heavy armor builds now , ones with poke attacks while still keeping shield raised , (estoc does this as well but feels a lil pissy for an armored tank) they sure arent the best damage but they support the armored style perfectlty , went from sometimes getting interrupted or merely trading damage during my greatsword swings to always getting a free hit in while defending , i dont know why im telling anyoen this , its probably common sense. but i see so many ppl going for greatsword+greatshield of artorias , or a BIG SLOW ASS WEAPON , with their big slow ass armor +shield.

actually im goin for more dex and gonna try more estoc with heavy armor , just convinced myself.

#15 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

I personally roll with a black knight halberd and a stone greatshield. Halberd is pretty powerful when upgraded and has decent swing speed and reach. The stone greatshield I may switch out to something else soon. For now, though, it works rather well to deflect attacks.

#16 Posted by golguin (4044 posts) -

Welcome to the Darks Souls club. You've still got a ways to go. Lots of the guys around here are pushing a couple hundred hours. Personally I'm at 300. I should really go back and finish the DLC. I'm half way through it.

I'm current at 500+ hours split between two characters. Most of those hours have been spent on listening to podcasts as I chilled and did my PVP thing. I'll occasionally go help someone kill S&O since my character is lv 48 (the other is 120).

#17 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12108 posts) -

@natetodamax: Oh hey. You changed your name back. Weird.

Also, yes. Dark Souls is fantastic and was my favorite game of 2011 for a reason. I really need to play Demon's Souls though, but until I get a PS3 that's not going to happen.

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -

One of us, one of us! :D

#19 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

No shit Sherlock! *congrats man, welcome into the fold*

#20 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

What @ravenlight said: stat points are helpful, but if you have the items to upgrade an item, go for that over leveling every time, the gains from upgrading equipment is significantly higher. Also about the people with the big weapons and stuff, I started out exactly how you're playing hiding behind the shield and poking (I would be willing to bet 80% of us started out that way), but eventually you get comfortable with whats going on, the big weapons hit like trucks. It also helps that you learn to love vitality (or at least I do), I always try to have at least 30 at this point on any of my characters and the ring of favor and protection, combined together you can actually take 2 or 3 hits and survive in the right armor. But I think the most important thing is that you learn how to read the enemy moves, you know when to block and when you can hit back. I'm actually still pretty bad at rolling, luckily you can have a high stability shield like the silver knight shield which is not super heavy and has pretty high stability, its kinda my go-to shield for every character so I highly recommend farming one from the silver knights when you get to anor londo.

@golguin said:

@mosespippy said:

I'm current at 500+ hours split between two characters. Most of those hours have been spent on listening to podcasts as I chilled and did my PVP thing. I'll occasionally go help someone kill S&O since my character is lv 48 (the other is 120).

Yeah I think I'm probably around 300 as well, haven't played in a while though. I was playing a Knight Solaire build, but got a little annoyed with how crappy his sword is. This thread is making me wanna get back into it though, I might make a dex build finally, 300 hours and I've never made a dex character.

Also I seriously recommend having a shortbow and like 200 arrows with you at all times, you can use it to pull enemies by themselves instead of in groups, or just plain kill them from afar.

Welcome to the club and Praise the sun!

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (15139 posts) -

@kerse: Hell yeah they do. I'm rocking the Demon's Great Hammer. Hell half the time recently I'm running around two handing the hammer with no armor equipped. That thing pounds guys so good that they usually die before they have a chance to do jack shit.

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

It is indeed a fantastic game.

I too decided to delve into it recently, after getting about a dozen hours out of it the month it came out and the putting away for a while.

#23 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

@kerse: Hell yeah they do. I'm rocking the Demon's Great Hammer. Hell half the time recently I'm running around two handing the hammer with no armor equipped. That thing pounds guys so good that they usually die before they have a chance to do jack shit.

Yeah one of my recent and probably my favorite character, is using sunlight blade, power within and a zweihander and I think I killed seath in 3 swings, he's real weak to lightning but still it made me feel like a badass. I really want to make a character to use demon's great hammer or that stone dragon tail sword now thinking about it.

#24 Posted by Humanity (10061 posts) -

@cusseta: It's a great unique title but I will always argue that it IS actually quite clunky, you just learn to adapt to that playstyle. I'm interested in what they are going to do with the next one, although can't hide a bit of disappointment that it's a continuation of Dark Souls instead of a whole new setting. Personally out of the two I preferred pretty much everything about Demons Souls better. This next installment will mark the third entry in the series and I'm curious if it will suffer the all too common syndrome of diminishing returns.

#25 Posted by gogosox82 (429 posts) -

Congrats dude. Right now I think I have 200 hours on Dark Souls. Running through right now doing a rp Pharis archer build. Using Black Bow of Pharis and Falchion (both at +15) and the leather set. Its been a lot of fun so far.

#26 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

Welcome to the club, it's been here awhile but the door's always open. Congrats on opening your eyes to a different style of gameplay. Now go play Monster Hunter and solo up to G rank.

\0/

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -

Yay a new convert.~

Wait 3-4 days for the sunbro hoodie and sacrificial hearts to arrive. We'll hopefully do the initiation rite by the weekend.

#28 Edited by colorbrandon (166 posts) -

@cusseta: Now wait til you're good enough at the game to do a level 1 playthrough, sub 2 hour completion, or a newgame +7 finish. I know the game so well now I can play it through in my brain... every item location, enemy location, boss strategy.

#29 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

Darks Souls is my new Zelda 2. It's a game I know enough at this point that playing through it is relaxing and any issues that it has don't bother me anymore. Also you're never bogged down by any "story" since you can easily skip pretty much anything.

There seems to be an awful lot of "I just got converted into Dark Souls" threads popping up, giving me the impression that the series has kept slowly getting new followers through word of mouth since its release. I wonder if that will actually translate to a generally bigger audience around the launch of Dark Souls 2. I hope so, since I'd like to see the series grow at least until it settles into the upcoming generation of consoles.

#30 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

It's the famous Dark Souls-cycle. I believe that's what the Eagles meant when singing "You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

#31 Posted by mosespippy (4440 posts) -

I personally roll with a black knight halberd and a stone greatshield. Halberd is pretty powerful when upgraded and has decent swing speed and reach. The stone greatshield I may switch out to something else soon. For now, though, it works rather well to deflect attacks.

BKH is great. I use it on my main character but I never saw the need for a shield. I just used heavy armour and traded hits or sidestepped attacks. Two handing that thing with a flame in the other hand or a talisman to buff it is pimpin. The only shield I use sometimes is Grass Crest but it's on my back while I'm still 2 handing the halberd. Why have heavy armour if you're just going to have a shield to block the hits in the first place?

#33 Posted by Cusseta (106 posts) -

So, what you're saying is that you've finally hit up that kind of rush? And that you think From Software really rocked it?

Yes. I believe that about sums it up!

#34 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

PRAISE THE SUN!

#35 Posted by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

Oh I already bought it from Amazon when it was on sale but I have a question: Does the PC version have full gamepad support?

#36 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

Only Game I have taken the time to get all trophies for on my ps3. Hell, its the only game I have got all the achievements for, for all systems and I still think its fun.

#37 Posted by Savage (355 posts) -

@gaspower said:

Oh I already bought it from Amazon when it was on sale but I have a question: Does the PC version have full gamepad support?

Yes, the PC version does. In fact, it better supports a gamepad than a mouse & keyboard.

Remember to download and set up DSfix after you install the game in order to enable proper high resolution rendering, 60 fps, intro logo skipping, and other wonderful enhancements exclusive to the PC version.

#38 Edited by TopSteer (677 posts) -

@kerse: I have well over 200 hours in this game also and I just recently played through with my first serious dex build and it might be my favorite way to play now. Pretty much all my other builds I use heavy armor but this one I stayed light, under 25 percent and used the Dark Wood Grain ring and had a blast rolling circles around dudes. The Great Scythe was my primary weapon, it scales well with dex and has amazing range and pretty good speed as well. As for medium shields, I'll only use the Iron Shield from now on as it is the only medium shield that has heavy deflection like a greatshield.

@arbitrarywater said:

@natetodamax: Oh hey. You changed your name back. Weird.

Wait, I thought you could only change your name once? Did they reset this with the site update or something?

#39 Edited by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Recently went back to Dark Souls for a second play through and I forgot how much I loved it. Really hoping to see some more stuff on Dark Souls 2 at E3.

#40 Posted by Cusseta (106 posts) -

I rolled a sorcerer for my first real playthrough and I've been having minimal difficulty until now. As a sorcerer, I realy want the Moonlight Greatsword, but I just can't cut off Seath the Scaleless tail!! My main problem is the lack of a decent melee weapon. I have Valka's Rapier (my best melee weapon atm) but still have trouble cutting off the tail. The YouTube videos show guys doing massive damage with one hit while I do 83 dmg with my rapier. I;m stuck. Argh!

#41 Edited by Savage (355 posts) -

@cusseta: A valuable technique is to start the fight by running up to Seath's crystal of immortality and just standing beside it until Seath winds up to do his breath attack at you. Once Seath begins his attack animation, begin running around him toward his tail. He'll break his own crystal, stunning himself for a couple seconds, allowing you time to get a couple free hits in on his tail. If your DPS is high enough, you might get the Moonlight Greatsword right there. If not, at least you've got a headstart before the boss fight has even really begun.

Another handy technique is that you can quickly start any boss fight over (assuming the boss hasn't killed you) by immediately quitting to the main menu, then loading your character. You'll spawn right outside the boss fog door, ready to try the fight anew.

As for specific methods of attack, there are many that will do the trick. My personal preference is a +15 crossbow (light or heavy) with heavy bolts used to free-aim snipe the tail from a distance. Another option is to equip a decently upgraded pyro flame and free-aim spam lob some projectile pyromancy (e.g. Fireball, Fire Orb, etc.), since you've already got attunement slots from playing a sorcerer. Alternatively, you could simply upgrade one of your highest damage melee weapons into a lightning or greater fire weapon and try rushing in for melee. Or you could upgrade your fastest melee weapon to a high physical tier (e.g. +10, Raw, etc.), then cast Greater Magic Weapon or Crystal Magic Weapon on it and give that a try for quick DPS. Additionally, you could try close range pyromancy (e.g. Combustion, Greater Combustion) at point blank. Lastly, remember that you can significantly increase your sorcery and pyromancy damage by wearing the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and Dusk's Crown, and further increase all damage, including even melee, by casting Power Within.

There are even more options still, beyond what I've listed. Cutting off Seath's tail solo is certainly challenging, but its doable with many different methods. I recommend experimenting with your options to figure out which feels best to you. With some practice, you'll manage it. Good luck!

#42 Posted by shinluis (432 posts) -

Welcome to the (sun)club, mate! :D

#43 Posted by Cusseta (106 posts) -

@savage: Thanks for the help. I stuck with the rapier (because I suck at aiming bows of any sort) and just duked it out slowly but surely. It took me roughly 20 minutes, but I finally did it. Now I'm on to the Tomb of Giants. I've heard horrible things about it, but I do have Cast Light so hopefully that will help.

#44 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

I'm kinda in the same boat. I bought it on release day and played for a bit but I never got much beyond ringing the first bell before stopping. Recently the PC version went on sale and I gave it another shot. I've got about 35ish hours on two characters and just beat O&S on my favorite. I'm in full addiction mode now, I can't wait to play it everyday. Even just grinding for titanite or levels is fun because it seems like you never really get so powerful that enemies pose no threat. If you get sloppy or arrogant pretty much anyone can still mess you up. Once I got over all the hype about the difficulty and realized it's quite fair but punishes button mashing and arrogance I started enjoying it a lot more.

#47 Posted by ptc (622 posts) -

Greetings fellow Dark Souls addicts. I recently joined the club on 360. ~70 hours in now. I roll with a upgraded Raw Great Axe, Elite Knight armor, and Spider Shield. Mainly a strength build but I wear covetous serpent ring and havel's ring so I can still roll at a decent speed. This game is an old school D&D players dream come true. Praise the sun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.