Dark Souls notes from Namco keynote.

• 165 results
#1 Edited by kishinfoulux (2274 posts) -

- Game has sold 1.5 million units worldwide. 90% sold through.

- PC version confirmed (obviously) and petition was a big part for this, as well as fans demanding it. From admits they weren't considering a PC port at first.

- Console versions sold 1.3 million copies through first 3 months.

- August 24th release date retail and digitally.

- A new trailer showing the new content was shown to the press. I'm sure we'll get to see it soon.

- Uses Games for Windows Live (can't wait for the rage)

***Additional details*** Provided by Drag

Here's some proper details about the new content, from the Dark Souls website:

• New Bosses - Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more
  • PVP Online Matchmaking System - Quick matching for co-op or PVP
  • New Areas – Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more
  • New Enemies – Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more
  • New NPCs – Including Hawkeye Gough and more
  • New Weapons and Armor – Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs

The GFWL part isn't a big deal to me. I've never had an issue with it.

*edit* Now updated with official PC trailer.

#2 Posted by TheHT (11080 posts) -

Ohhhh man, GFWL, haha. Great.

#3 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

Oh man, people are going to be furious over Games for Windows Live.

#4 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

I will buy this regardless.

#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6226 posts) -

GFWL? Lol what idiots.

Stick it on steam. All you need.

#6 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

- Uses Games for Windows Live (can't wait for the rage)

The GFWL part isn't a big deal to me. I've never had an issue with it.

Is there an official confirmation of this? I hear some people are confusing it with GFW, not live. Which is weird since Namco's Ridge Racer Unbounded was steamworks.

#7 Posted by TheHT (11080 posts) -

goddamn that trailer. I can't resist the prospect of new souls to collect.

#8 Posted by JackSukeru (5907 posts) -

I hope the PC version does well for them.

Those new bosses look awesome too.

#9 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

If you don't put it on Steam you don't want it to be a success.

#10 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

Looks great, but I don't play games on the PC, so I REALLY hope they bring these extra bosses to the console versions as DLC as well. I'd pay for that.

#11 Posted by NegativeCero (2987 posts) -

Not a PC gamer, so I don't really know really know why people hate GFWL. Happy to see they've done well with it and that more people can play it.

#12 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

Thanks for posting the trailer. Can't wait, I've never been so excited watching a trailer. The GFWL thing sucks but heh... It's better than nothing.

#13 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

People raging over this having GFWL.... this is definitely a first world problem.

#14 Posted by Horrifying (38 posts) -

Oh come on, GFWL? Christ. :|

#15 Posted by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -

GFWL likely means it will not even be available in my region lol
Just like Batman Arkham City, Section 8 Prejudice, Gotham City Impostors, etc...
Nice going.

#16 Posted by YI_Orange (1140 posts) -

My main concern: Is the new content going to be DLC for the other versions? I demand more Dark Souls!

#17 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@Vexxan said:

GFWL games are on steam you know...

#18 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Haha GFWL, they have April Fools on a different day in Japan, right?

#19 Posted by duggshammer (158 posts) -

Oooohh GOD noooo, please god WHY?!?! This needs to be on STEAM you fools!

#20 Edited by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Vexxan said:

GFWL games are on steam you know...

Misread, thought this wasn't coming to Steam. Still thou, GFWL can go suck it :/

#21 Edited by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -
@NegativeCero said:

Not a PC gamer, so I don't really know really know why people hate GFWL. Happy to see they've done well with it and that more people can play it.

GFWL is a terrible system stuck in the dark ages.
  • Still using microsoft points instead of money and outdated credit card processing to buy said points. Trying to purchase premium civilizations when Age of Empires Online came out was a nightmare. (I had to eventually resort to the skullfuckery of going to a real store, paying for an ovepriced MS points card in euro, that was more points then i needed in the first place, and putting in said code in, instead of a few mouse clicks on Steam)
  • It restricts games (yes even those sold on Steam) to only a few regions, while denying purchase in others. I literally cannot see certain games being sold on Steam because GFWL is region restricting them. Nor can I buy them on GFWL.
  • It is an additional extra third party layer to your game, a clunky one in terms of login and offline/online user profiles. Likewise if already using steam GFWL sits on top of that, bogging down your system further.
  • in the most recent of GFWL fuckups i have lost all my 100% progress in Batman: AC, including all trophies, challange room completions, second playthrough, gear, everything. I had a "Perfect Night 2" achievement for it, now it's 0% progress on everything,  no saves. The Steam achievements are still there, but GFWL that was storing the saves lost them.
#22 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@GioVANNI: You should see /v/ right now. It's fucking glorious.

#23 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

@GioVANNI: You should see /v/ right now. It's fucking glorious.

I just started browing. People are going fucking nuts. Wich I think is really stupid. GFWL sucks but god damnit people asked for this and now they are complaining about it. Fuck them. I prayed for this game to be released on PC even though I've already played through it 3 times on console. I am happy and I will not complain, can't wait.

#24 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Guys, guys. GFWL will be part of the Dark Souls experience.

#25 Posted by TheHT (11080 posts) -

@mordukai said:

You clever motherfucker. It makes perfect sense.

#26 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@mordukai said:

You clever motherfucker. It makes perfect sense.

LOL. Does this mean the PC version is straight up a 360 port then?

#27 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: Wasn't Arkham city a steamworks game? I thought Arkham Asylem was GWFL.

#28 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

@mordukai said:

and just to make the PC version even more enhanced and difficult, it'll be sold through Origin too

#29 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I like GFWL. Never had issues with it, and I like raising my gamerscore on PC games.

#30 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

On the note about GFWL, only thing its got going for it are achievement points. Even then if you are into achievements (like I am) Steam achievements are just as good.

I wonder if Microsoft got to them first before Valve. Makes ya wonder.

#31 Posted by Zidd (1841 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

If you are familiar with Xbox Live it works fine, however most PC gamers aren't so they don't do the necessary profile creation steps to make it work properly.

#32 Posted by 71Ranchero (2716 posts) -

GFWL is very fitting for Dark Souls. It fights against the user at every step along the way.

#33 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@Mystyr_E said:

@mordukai said:

and just to make the PC version even more enhanced and difficult, it'll be sold through Origin too

You are a sick man.

#34 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

As long as the game runs like a champ on my PC, supports DX10, DX11, has a smooth online experience with the servers, it's all good with me. I don't give a hoot about GFWL one way or another. Don't care if it is on Steam or not either, I prefer a box copy of new games anyway. Steam is great for older titles you can no longer find in retail stores though. Oh and sales, Steam has great sales.

#35 Posted by Tennmuerti (8055 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:

@Tennmuerti: Wasn't Arkham city a steamworks game? I thought Arkham Asylem was GWFL.

Arkham City also uses GFWL. Both games use it and both are on Steam.

I don't know if you remember or were aware of the issue that happened when people preordered the game on Steam before release and then in dissapeared of the coming soon list.
Afterwards poeople who already preordered it were able to install it.
But after release it is no longer possible to buy it in certain regions (like mine even tho i'm in the EU) on Steam.

Same goes for games i mentioned earlier like Section 8 Prejudice and that Imposters game. They are technically on Steam, but there is something in their agreements with GFWL (likely just a limited distribution agreement) that prevents them from being sold in certain regions, thus they are not appearing for some people.
#36 Posted by Jazz2 (151 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

GFWL is very fitting for Dark Souls. It fights against the user at every step along the way.

XD you're right! Now i finally realise that Dark Souls isn't for me :) thanks!

#37 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seedofpower said:

Arkham City also uses GFWL. Both games use it and both are on Steam. I don't know if you remember or were aware of the issue that happened when people preordered the game on Steam before release and then in dissapeared of the coming soon list. Afterwards poeople who already preordered it were able to install it. But after release it is no longer possible to buy it in certain regions (like mine even tho i'm in the EU) on Steam. Same goes for games i mentioned earlier like Section 8 Prejudice and that Imposters game. They are technically on Steam, but there is something in their agreements with GFWL (likely just a limited distribution agreement) that prevents them from being sold in certain regions, thus they are not appearing for some people.

That sucks. I figured since it has steamworks enabled most of everyone can get it. Sorry to hear that dude.

#38 Edited by Lysergica33 (520 posts) -

Well, I'll still buy it, gotta say that I'm equally as dissapointed as everyone else that it's on GFWL though. All they needed to do was do a straight port that ran well and they'd have the good will of PC gamers the world over. I guess From are about to feel the wrath of the enraged gamer collective now, maybe it'll shock them into putting it on Steam? One can hope... Either way, day one purchase.

Edit: I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if this outcry about it using GFWL prompts them to switch to Steamworks. The fact that they are making a PC port at all when they were originally not even considering it shows that From and Bamco are willing to jump through some hoops to expand their income, what's one more hoop to ensure they don't piss off the PC gaming populace, a notoriously vocal group for better or for worse. After all, the only reason this port is getting made is because of that exact aspect of the PC gaming community. We shall see...

#39 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

GFWL games are also on steam, i would be surprised if it wasn't on steam.

I haven't had any problems with GFWL although granted there are few games i own which use it, but its pretty easy to ignore after you sign in.

#40 Posted by kishinfoulux (2274 posts) -

Haven't heard any official word on a Steam release other then "wait and see".

@CL60 said:

I like GFWL. Never had issues with it, and I like raising my gamerscore on PC games.

Also this. Seriously I don't see the big deal. This is why gamers are considered whiny. You get the game you wanted on PC and now complain anyways.

#41 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Fuck games for windows live.

#42 Posted by ajamafalous (11929 posts) -
@kishinfoulux said:

- Game has sold 1.5 million units worldwide. 90% sold through.

- PC version confirmed (obviously) and petition was a big part for this, as well as fans demanding it. From admits they weren't considering a PC port at first.

- Console versions sold 1.3 million copies through first 3 months.

- August 24th release date retail and digitally.

- A new trailer showing the new content was shown to the press. I'm sure we'll get to see it soon.

"Hey man this is lookin pretty good, sales weren't terrible. Man a petition actually worked? That's great. Oh man day before my birthday release, maybe I'll get someone to buy it for me" 

@kishinfoulux said:

- Uses Games for Windows Live

#43 Posted by mrcraggle (1893 posts) -

How can it not be on Steam? Pretty much any game that matters is on there day of release. Skyrim has a big ol' GFW banner on the top but popped in the disc and it loaded up Steam. Regardless, I will buy this simply for the smooth frame rate unless this ends up being a shitty port.

#44 Posted by Lysergica33 (520 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

Haven't heard any official word on a Steam release other then "wait and see".

@CL60 said:

Also this. Seriously I don't see the big deal. This is why gamers are considered whiny. You get the game you wanted on PC and now complain anyways.

Most of us will still buy it and play it regardless, I'm sure, but considering GFWL's reputation you'd think a business would have enough business sense to not alienate its potential customers? I don't like GFWL, but I'm still going to buy it, but business wise it's simply a really poor move.

#45 Edited by Marz (5648 posts) -

i'm not complaining, it's better than no PC version at all. 

have any of you considered that they are using GFWL because they already had done most of the matchmaking, networking, work on xbox live and it's an easier transition to integrate the online component of the game this way instead of reworking it from scratch.

#46 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

@mrcraggle said:

How can it not be on Steam? Pretty much any game that matters is on there day of release. Skyrim has a big ol' GFW banner on the top but popped in the disc and it loaded up Steam. Regardless, I will buy this simply for the smooth frame rate unless this ends up being a shitty port.

FROM SOFTWARE must have already made a deal with Microsoft before the game was released on XBOX360. I think they don't have a choice but to release it on GFWL. I'm sad people don't realize decisions like this most of the time aren't made by the developers. Also, they haven't dismissed steam. I asked one of the developers on Twitter and he told me they don't know yet but are still in the works with that stuff and will update as soon as they have the information.

#47 Posted by Draugen (635 posts) -

I just finished the game on PS3, but I'll get it on release for PC regardless. Can't wait to play Blightown with more than 6 FPS. :) Just make sure it comes out on Steam, and I'm happy.

#48 Posted by Lysergica33 (520 posts) -

The Dark Souls facebook page is an utter shitstorm right now. NOBODY is satisfied. PC Gamers up in arms about GFWL... Console gamers up in arms about no clarification about the extra content coming to consoles or not... From make great games and all, but their PR is hilariously bad.

So yeah, if any of you want to retain what little faith in humanity you may have left, avoid that page like the fucking plague.

#49 Posted by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -

@MacEG said:

People raging over this having GFWL.... this is definitely a first world problem.

Exactly. What is an extra 5 seconds of load times, especially when you get achievements.

#50 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

They probably use GFWL because it would be easier to port the Xbox version to the PC that way. That's my guess anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.