Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dark Souls on PC

• 84 results
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iron_Tool

I really think this would be a great RPG on the PC. The controls are simple and can be easily mapped to a mouse, the legendary challenge of the game would be a nice throwback to older PC RP's. The game would greatly benefit of the improved fidelty that can be achived on the PC.

Also overall the PC RPG genre is still one that isn't suffering as much of the Piracy trend and is still healthy (compared to some recentt FPS titles). This tough as long as it is a quality game with substance but judging from what I have played of Demon's Souls and seen so far of Dark Souls I am not worried.

This would be a great title for the PC!

What do you guys thinks?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think that the same could be said about a lot of games. The fact is: it's not coming on PC and it never will. 

And I don't see where you're getting the info that PC RPGs are pirated less relative to FPS games.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Iron_Tool

Why do you think it will never come out on PC? I think if Namco Bandai sees a market there I'm sure they would consider it. 

There are plenty of examples of games that were not announced for the PC but came out there anyway (recently example LA Noir)
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dungbootle

I wish everything had a PC version

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

Would be nice but i don't expect japanese developers to make an effort to release PC versions.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iDarktread

PS3's are like $250 now. You have no excuse not to own one, bro!

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @Marz

I beg to differ (a bit). Japanese developers have been a little bit kinder to the PC community (see Capcom). On the RPG side of things though I think releasing any RPG of this caliber on the PC could be very successful, especially since the main game is 'always onlne".
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @iDarktread said:
    PS3's are like $250 now. You have no excuse not to own one, bro!

I do have a PS3, but my point is that this game would be so much better with the inproved graphical fidelity. I really don't see any reason why  a tiktle like this could not succeed on the PC.
    Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jazzycola

@Iron_Tool: Difference there is the fact that

1. Rockstar has a whole lot more manpower than From Software to do a port.

2. Japanese developers aren't usually focused on PC games, Capcom being just about the only one that actually puts out ports of their games.

3. There is a lot more examples that have not been ported to the PC, like Red Dead Redemption, even though there were plenty of people wanting them on PC.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

@Iron_Tool said:

Why do you think it will never come out on PC? I think if Namco Bandai sees a market there I'm sure they would consider it. There are plenty of examples of games that were not announced for the PC but came out there anyway (recently example LA Noir)

I don't think From Software has had even a single one of their games come to the PC. At least I can't think of any...

If you want to play Dark Souls so much, I suggest that you get a PS3 or a 360.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @Jazzycola

I agree with you but I you have to keep in mind that there is a huge RPG community on the PC that loves challenging games and would eat up a title like this one. Why turn your back on them espcially since a port from a Xbox 360 game should not be too difficult (famous last words..) the mapping of the controls would be no problem (which usually is the biggest complaint on PC ports)

I just think this ould not only be great for the RPG community but would also allow Namco and From Software to make another good chunk of money and get their names known in the PC circles!
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By McShank

@Iron_Tool said:

@iDarktread said:
    PS3's are like $250 now. You have no excuse not to own one, bro!
    I do have a PS3, but my point is that this game would be so much better with the inproved graphical fidelity. I really don't see any reason why a tiktle like this could not succeed on the PC.

PC would be fun but then lets say your playing the game and your computer has a hiccup or a random lag spike, your dead, especially when fighting bosses or phantoms.. Also the game already looks great on PS3 with demon souls and dark souls trailers of gameplay look great. What more do you want? Maxed graphics to match the ones on witcher 2 which has graphic options i have never even thought of turning on..

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @McShank said:

@Iron_Tool said:

@iDarktread said:
    PS3's are like $250 now. You have no excuse not to own one, bro!
    I do have a PS3, but my point is that this game would be so much better with the inproved graphical fidelity. I really don't see any reason why a tiktle like this could not succeed on the PC.

PC would be fun but then lets say your playing the game and your computer has a hiccup or a random lag spike, your dead, especially when fighting bosses or phantoms.. Also the game already looks great on PS3 with demon souls and dark souls trailers of gameplay look great. What more do you want? Maxed graphics to match the ones on witcher 2 which has graphic options i have never even thought of turning on..

On Demon's Souls (and I presume on Dark Souls as well) the game runs on 720p, yes it looks good for a 720p game but it could look so much better, besides I'm sure it would have a great if not huge following on the PC. When was the last time a great challenging RPG hit the PC (where they originated)? Yes Witcher2 was a bit more challenging but it was a hommage to Demon's Sould in that but far from being as legendary as Demons's Souls.  
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @McShank

and to your point about online hiccups, if you have a shoddy connection the same can happen on your PS3. So many more games are played constant online on the PC then on the console but yes, there is always the chance there could be a hiccup.
    Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of think a PC version would be cool, it probably won't ever happen, but it'll be cool nontheless. I haven't kept up with the news releases on this game so I have no clue if co-op will be the same as Demon's Souls, but doing it on the PC would be...interesting? You know, what with all those voice chat programs. 

I know you can still do that with the PS3 by using your PC, but there might be some people who don't have wireless or have a router to have multiple connection...things (I'm not that great with tech)...I know I use to have that problem.
    biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By biospank

I dont think it will come on the pc because r1 is a light attack, r2 heavy attack, l1 block if you have sheild or are two handed, l2 attack with sheild or block if two handed.

I dont see a comfortable way of playing the game on a pc tbh. Plus its From Software not the biggest known pc dev team out there, I dont even think they have ever made a pc tittle.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FunExplosions

Just wait ten years for a decent PS3 emulator to come out. Problem solved.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Aetheldod

I dont think japanese developers are going to jump en masse to the pc market any time soon , much less their RPG developers .... when have you seen a japanes rpg ported in to the pcs? (And nope emulators dont count) Would I like that my pc brethren have accses to this game? Absolutely , the more the merrier I say , heck it should be crossplatform for all I care , but sadly I dont think the japanese developers (including From Software) have either the expertice , money and desire to do it :(

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @biospank said:

I dont think it will come on the pc because r1 is a light attack, r2 heavy attack, l1 block if you have sheild or are two handed, l2 attack with sheild or block if two handed.

I dont see a comfortable way of playing the game on a pc tbh. Plus its From Software not the biggest known pc dev team out there, I dont even think they have ever made a pc tittle.

The controls would have to be mapped over to mouse and keyboard. r1 and l1 could be the the left and right mouse buttons with the r2/l2 buttons mapped over to shift plus left/right mouse button... just for example.  

From Software is not (yet) a PC developer but a game like Dark Souls properly ported would put them on the PC map big time!
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By benjaebe

I've played a lot of Demons Souls....like a lot of Demons Souls. And there's no way the control scheme would translate well to a PC without using a game pad. It just wouldn't happen. Keyboard inputs are so awful for a game like this, where precise character control is super important and analog sticks are vastly superior.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @Aetheldod

the Final Fantasy series has been seeing some success on the PC. Another recent example of a Japanese RPG port would be Last Remnant (though not that great of a game in general consoles included). 

The japanese gaming industry needs to evolve especially considering their recent decline. It would be great if some of the better developers would expand their better titles over to PC to reach a larger audience. The RPG genre is one that has its roots deep in PC gaming and titles like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls would leave their mark on PC gaming and hopefully move Japanese game deveopment further. 
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deusx

If this thread is your first post, I congratulate you OP. Nice discussion. 

I don't think there will ever be a pc port for this game but I would love to have one. You said that capcom has given the pc it's fair ammount of support and I agree on that note but Capcom pc ports are just plain bullshit. The only game I think stands out are the latest street fighters but yeah... have you ever played DMC on a pc? It's a horrible experience.  

I'm not saying this game can't be played on a pc. It sure as hell is simple and the pc has handled a lot more complex controls in the past. If this selled on Steam they would make a lot of money. Someday my friend... Someday...

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By benjaebe
    @Deusx said:
    If this thread is your first post, I congratulate you OP. Nice discussion.  I don't think there will ever be a pc port for this game but I would love to have one. You said that capcom has given the pc it's fair ammount of support and I agree on that note but Capcom pc ports are just plain bullshit. The only game I think stands out are the latest street fighters but yeah... have you ever played DMC on a pc? It's a horrible experience.   I'm not saying this game can't be played on a pc. It sure as hell is simple and the pc has handled a lot more complex controls in the past. If this selled on Steam they would make a lot of money. One day my friend... One day...
    As far as Capcom ports go, DMC is definitely an outlier and not indicative of their usual quality. RE5 was great, for example, and Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2 were pretty good. Not to mention the Street Fighter games. In my opinion, Capcom's done a pretty great job of supporting the PC compared to other major devs/publishers.
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Iron_Tool

I fully agree with you on this. Imagine the sucess this title could have on the PC: 

- It's a deep RPG 
    - It's challenging 
    - It has a great online feature 
    - It could look even more gorgeous on PC 

I odn't know much about the game development of Dark Souls or Demon's Souls but it seems that in general most games (for PS3 and Xbox360) are developed on PC anyways. call me naive but that doesn't seem to much of a jump.... I might be wrong though

@Deusx
    said:

I'm not saying this game can't be played on a pc. It sure as hell is simple and the pc has handled a lot more complex controls in the past. If this selled on Steam they would make a lot of money. One day my friend... One day... 

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @benjaebe said:
    @Deusx said:
    If this thread is your first post, I congratulate you OP. Nice discussion.  I don't think there will ever be a pc port for this game but I would love to have one. You said that capcom has given the pc it's fair ammount of support and I agree on that note but Capcom pc ports are just plain bullshit. The only game I think stands out are the latest street fighters but yeah... have you ever played DMC on a pc? It's a horrible experience.   I'm not saying this game can't be played on a pc. It sure as hell is simple and the pc has handled a lot more complex controls in the past. If this selled on Steam they would make a lot of money. One day my friend... One day...
    As far as Capcom ports go, DMC is definitely an outlier and not indicative of their usual quality. RE5 was great, for example, and Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2 were pretty good. Not to mention the Street Fighter games. In my opinion, Capcom's done a pretty great job of supporting the PC compared to other major devs/publishers.

I agree Capcom has been a great example on how PC gaming needs to be considered especially for Japanese Developers/Publishers. I did play DMC4 and yes it was a shitty port, but I did like the better graphics on PC and did not mind to use a gamepad as compromise, Some games are just better played with a game pad ( SF4 too) and there is nothing wrong with that!
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deusx
    @benjaebe: hmmm I see your point. I think you are right, It's just that every time I think about DMC I want to go and cry in a corner. 

Anyway, I think the game would be great for PC. The controls are not the problem,  it's the publisher of the game.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti

Not a fan of the original, so unless they fix an incredible amount of stuff with the new game, not gonna be interested even on PS3, much less PC

@Iron_Tool said:

- It could look even more gorgeous on PC 
    I would use the phrase: "look less shitty on the PC at least"
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Enigma777

I'm really not sure what the point of this thread is... We all want things we can't get. I'd love to get Skyward Sword on the PS3 but it's just not going to happen. If you think that all the Japanese devs are suddenly gonna wake up tomorrow and start porting their games to the PC, you are incredibly delusional. It has nothing to do whether it's a viable and financially-sound venture and everything to do with the cultural, philosophical and ideological differences.

So, I'll say it again, you're not going to accomplish anything by arguing here. Stop holding your breath for something that's just not going to happen no matter how illogical you may think it is, and either get the game for consoles or forget about it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

Demon's Souls was for PS3
    Dark Souls is going to be for PS3 and 360

So, just wait for Doomed Souls which will be PS3, 360 and PC. That's right, you heard it here first!

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @Enigma777

I have no illusions of having the game released on PC just because I have started a thread here. I just want to discuss and hear what other people think about the idea. This is the whole point of many game discussions here. 
    first parrty Nintendo games have never been multiplatform but even Nintendo is feeling recently pressure to open up and to start releasing their games on iOS for example. The market is changing and it would be good if some developers/publishers do wake up and start branching out to different platforms.
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @BeachThunder said:
    Demon's Souls was for PS3 Dark Souls is going to be for PS3 and 360 So, just wait for Doomed Souls which will be PS3, 360 and PC. That's right, you heard it here first!

Doomed Souls! Yeah!!! LOL
    GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GuyIncognito

Yeah, it'd be nice to see Dark Souls on PC.  I've been using a PS3 controller on PC  with motionjoy for a while.  I'm a big fan of Demon's Souls, too. :D

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Iron_Tool
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Enigma777
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @GuyIncognito said:
    Yeah, it'd be nice to see Dark Souls on PC.  I've been using a PS3 controller on PC  with motionjoy for a while.  I'm a big fan of Demon's Souls, too. :D

What's 'Motionjoy'?
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CptBedlam

As it has been said already: most likely not going to happen. PC means risky business nowadays if you're not a shooter, mmo or browsergame.

But can see how it would fit and it's always nice when more people can enjoy a game. Does anyone here know Severance:Blade of Darkness or Die By The Sword? Those games are pretty similar (minus the rpg stuff).

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @Iron_Tool said:
    @GuyIncognito said:
    What's 'Motionjoy'?
    Google is your friend. :D
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @CptBedlam

'Die by the sword' was awesome!  
    Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Iron_Tool
    @GuyIncognito said:
    @Iron_Tool said:
    @GuyIncognito said:
    What's 'Motionjoy'?
    Google is your friend. :D

sometimes ;)
    iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By iGaboru

This game looks gorgeous enough anyway so the PC wouldn't contribute much in this regard, although I agree the PC world would certainly benefit from it, consoles is where it's at I'm afraid. 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah, it will be nice so I can finally see what is the buss all about.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Sooty

@McShank: My PC never has random lag spikes or "hiccups" that was a pretty dumb thing to say. You make it sound like PC gaming is prone to such issues which is simply not the case.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grissefar

Why would you want it on PC? Just so you can use your hacks, save states, trainers and bots? Just kidding.

Anyway, it's on both consoles so pretty much anybody should have the chance to play it, unless they only own a PC and I don't think people like that exist outside Russia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Grissefar said:

unless they only own a PC and I don't think people like that exist outside Russia.

I am decidedly not living in Russia.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

What complex game wouldn't be great for PC?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By valrog
    @Grissefar said:

Anyway, it's on both consoles so pretty much anybody should have the chance to play it, unless they only own a PC and I don't think people like that exist outside Russia.

Well that was ignorant.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Binman88
    @Grissefar said:

Why would you want it on PC? Just so you can use your hacks, save states, trainers and bots? Just kidding.

I own a PS3 and I would much rather play all my console games on my PC, mostly because they would look better, load faster and run a hell of a lot smoother. It's not about having a chance to play it, it's wanting to play it on a better platform if that's an option. Unfortunately it's not an option with Dark Souls.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By spazmaster666

The only major JRPG released this past generation that has made it to the PC is Last Remnant. Honestly though, it's probably not about how much effort it takes to port to the PC since the 360 SDKs are designed to be very compatible with the PC (they would probably just have to target the 360 build), but about the fact that they just don't see much of an audience for these games on the PC. I mean a lot of console shooters don't even come to the PC these days, so what hope do you have for JRPGs?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai
    @FluxWaveZ: Never say never. Maybe they want to see how well the game would fare on consoles then see if it's profitable to bring it to the PC. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.