Dark Souls PC: Can't Load My Save--Please Help!

#1 Posted by PatVB (329 posts) -

I just started the PC version last night. After 2+ hours of wrangling with GFWL, I finally got everything working. I rang the first bell and called it a day. Now, when I boot up the game, there is no option to load my game. I checked my file directory, and the save from last night is sitting exactly where it should be (...\documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\[gamertag]\DRAKS0005.sl2), but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. I've checked other forums for this issue, but I haven't found a resolution. Anyone else have this issue / know how it fix it?

Notes:

• I haven't changed my GFWL name, and I have auto sign-in enabled.
  • The game itself is stored on a different drive (E:) than the save (C:). Does this matter?
  • I don't have any achievements for the game, despite doing completing several of the requirements (not sure if this is related or not).
#2 Posted by dudeglove (7850 posts) -

Were you screwing around with trainers or DSFix?

#4 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1097 posts) -

The save location on a different drive COULD be the issue. This was a rushed port, so you never know.

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Make sure you are not logged in to gfwl in offline mode. Maybe even try disconnecting and reconnecting. If you haven't already I would also suggest restarting your pc and trying to load it again. GFWL can be an ass like that.

#6 Posted by PatVB (329 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: I just tested it with a new save file, and it loaded fine, so I don't think the drive is the problem. But like you said--rushed post = who knows?

@crusader8463: I tried signing in and out, and rebooting. No luck. The fact that I didn't get any achievements the first time around concerns me--like somehow the save is tied to a profile that doesn't exist, even though I was signed-in to the correct one.

@dudeglove: I'm using DSFix, but I added it before I started the game. Haven't touched any settings since.

At this point, I've put more time into trying to get this game running than I have to actually playing it. I might just wait for the sequel instead.

#7 Edited by Sterling (2293 posts) -

I'd just start over.

#8 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Hack a new character. That's what everyone on PC and Xbox does.

#9 Posted by JJBSterling (186 posts) -

If a new save file loads fine like you said just start over, you didn't get that far.

#10 Edited by Noblenerf (320 posts) -

Doesn't DSfix make save backups by default? Maybe you could try restoring one of those and seeing if they work.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where the save backups are stored.

#11 Posted by PatVB (329 posts) -

@noblenerf: No, unfortunately the option is disabled by default (not sure why).

I'll start over eventually, I just need some time. Sigh.

#12 Posted by bybeach (4829 posts) -

I'd have everything as tight as possible. The only thing that counterbalanced my bitter experience with GFWL was the long effort the MS rep put in with me so I could play this game...after holding me up for a month because of some problem with my account. Next time I will choose phone over e-mail, lol. Turns out something did not load correctly with MS essentials, that tied into it somehow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.