Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition [PC]

• 133 results
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By eroticfishcake

I was browsing around the internets and reddit has produced an image or two of what the new bosses look like. Not much information (surprisingly no one has mentioned what the article says) but I thought it was worth bringing up.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By p00rdevil

@RockmanBionics said:

@p00rdevil said:

@emem said:

@Sooty said:

@p00rdevil said:

Quick saves, map, quest log, and 50+ FPS would sweeten the deal for me. Maybe just quick saves and better FPS, the map and quest log might squelch the fun. But this game is brutal. It comes close to crossing the line between entertaining and grieving. There are times when I play that I swear it has crossed the line.

Quick saves would make the game way too easy

If they would allow you to save whenever you want it would ruin the whole game, imho. Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls, which I actually played) is all about the challenge, right? And by allowing you to save, the whole "having to collect your souls when you died" system would fall apart, one of the most important game mechanics wouldn't work anymore...there is no way they would allow that.

Retrieving souls is not that critical to the game. There have been times I abandoned souls on the ground just because it was too much bother going back to get them. Also, there have been many more times when I died before reaching my dropped souls and lost them all anyway. I don't see how retrieving souls is a key gameplay element. How about this then; if playing with a quick save all souls are lost when you die. Gone for good, nothing to retrieve. Would that be hard core enough? Seems fair to me.

Why would changing that matter? With quicksaves you would never die anyway.

That is not true. I have played many PC games with quick saves and died plenty. In games much less challenging than Souls too. Quick saving does not prevent dieing, it only allows you to keep the progress you have earned rather than having to replay it all again after death.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By xyzygy

Not liking how the PC release gets an extra boss (they should release him for consoles as well) but other than that, awesome. Was this what the facebook page was about?

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By p00rdevil

The PC version should look fantastic. The detail of the environments, armor and weapons will be gorgeous at high resolutions. I dunno if they will be able to make it with DX10 or DX11 support, but if they can the shadows and lighting will be stunning. If they do this port right Souls will be a thing of beauty running at 2304X1440 with steady frame rates above 40fps.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Guess it's time to buy it for a third time! (ノ ゚∀゚)ノ ┻━┻

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#106  Edited By Driadon

I was thinking about hunting this down the other day, but with this news official, I'm holding on until August to join my PC brethren.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By Klaimore

OOOhhhhhhhhhh yeah that hits the spot bring it on!!! So yeah I'm buying it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By Marz
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109  Edited By golguin

@emem said:

@RockmanBionics said:

@p00rdevil said:

@emem said:

@Sooty said:

@p00rdevil said:

Quick saves, map, quest log, and 50+ FPS would sweeten the deal for me. Maybe just quick saves and better FPS, the map and quest log might squelch the fun. But this game is brutal. It comes close to crossing the line between entertaining and grieving. There are times when I play that I swear it has crossed the line.

Quick saves would make the game way too easy

If they would allow you to save whenever you want it would ruin the whole game, imho. Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls, which I actually played) is all about the challenge, right? And by allowing you to save, the whole "having to collect your souls when you died" system would fall apart, one of the most important game mechanics wouldn't work anymore...there is no way they would allow that.

Retrieving souls is not that critical to the game. There have been times I abandoned souls on the ground just because it was too much bother going back to get them. Also, there have been many more times when I died before reaching my dropped souls and lost them all anyway. I don't see how retrieving souls is a key gameplay element. How about this then; if playing with a quick save all souls are lost when you die. Gone for good, nothing to retrieve. Would that be hard core enough? Seems fair to me.

Why would changing that matter? With quicksaves you would never die anyway.

Yup, I guess he didn't think that through. If you would do it that way the game would have to punish you every time you load a save (by taking away your souls). The game would change dramatically with a quick save option, to a point where it is no longer the game that makes people hate and love it at the same time.

The biggest issue with quicksaves would be saving in front of a boss gate and just reloading every time you die. When I first went through the game my biggest fear when dying wasn't losing my souls, but losing my chance to fight the boss. Fighting the boss was earned. Take that away and you might as well fight the boss with infinite health since you don't seem to care about the challenge the game lays at your feet. Could you imagine going through Sen's Fortress and quick saving every time you got through a trap? That place would turn into one huge joke.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By InternetDotCom

Clearly needs mods to make the game harder and obviously clean women. Every game needs cleaner women

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By LaserLambert

I don't have a PC that can run it (yet) but I will buy it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#112  Edited By jacksukeru

@p00rdevil: Quicksaving resets you to an earlier point in time, even if you did lose all your souls upon dying, quickloading would reset the game to a state before you died with your souls intact. That's what I meant about you never dying. Also quicksaving would get in the way of the online mode so you would be limited in using that.

Dark Souls is designed to be focused on survival and preparation, messing up in one encounter might leave you worse equipped for another (less spells or health flasks) but quicksaving takes this part of its design away. If I were to play The Binding of Isaac with quicksaves I would finish that game everytime and my focus would lie not in survival but optimizing encounters. Consequence for playing poorly? there would be none, and a part of the (very much intended) tension would be gone.

Look man, I can't blame you for wanting to see all the content and I'm not gonna tell you how to play the game either, I'm just pointing out that using quicksaves will turn it into a different one, fundamentally. It's fine if you want to play that game instead, not everyone likes Dark Souls.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By probablytuna

Pondering whether I should buy this even though I have the PS3 version.... Though it has to have controller support. I can't imagine playing this with mouse and keyboard.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By senorfuzzeh

"And Im all alone and the fire grows."

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By emem
    @probablytuna said:

Pondering whether I should buy this even though I have the PS3 version.... Though it has to have controller support. I can't imagine playing this with mouse and keyboard.

I would almost guarantee that the PC version will support controllers, I don't think you have to worry about that.
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By Nentisys

Fuck yes, time to double dip.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By CptBedlam

@p00rdevil: Quicksaving would destroy the Dark Souls experience just as it destroyed the challenge in most PC games since it became a standard with Half-Life 1.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By emem

So what do you guys expect to see behind the Facebook wall?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Karkarov

@eroticfishcake said:

I was browsing around the internets and reddit has produced an image or two of what the new bosses look like. Not much information (surprisingly no one has mentioned what the article says) but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Yeah that is Guyra. Black dragon, two horn things on the head, one red eye right in the middle of his forehead. Guess he won't be an internet rumor now and will actually be in game. Wonder if I get a dark slayer for whacking off his tail?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Looks like it's going to require/come with GFWL.

I don't understand why publishers keep trying to push that system, it has a deserved reputation of being a complete pile of shit, and requiring it can only hurt sales.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By emem
    @Krakn3Dfx: It's weird, indeed. Maybe it's easier to do when you port the game from the 360? I've got no idea. 

There's already a "new" petition to release Dark Souls without GFWL...  http://www.change.org/petitions/namco-bandai-and-from-software-release-dark-souls-pc-edition-without-games-for-windows-live (and people are signing it like crazy right now). 

It's a bit crazy to ask for more after getting what we wanted (a PC release of DS), but GFWL is so terrible that I totally understand the uproar.
    Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Bad news, the game will use that peice shit GFWL.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-11-dark-souls-pc-release-date-announced-games-for-windows-live-support-confirmed#comment-2972226

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#123  Edited By thepantheon

Sorry guys, but the inclusion of GFWL is just another way Dark Souls is making it hate you. GOOD WORK DARK SOULS! Can't wait for the PC version/

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#124  Edited By poisonjam7

Sweet!

I have been holding out on playing this on consoles, but August should be a good time for me to try it on PC. I hope it is well optimized and not a 5 minute port.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By TheChaos

GFWL?

No thanks I'll just buy it and then crack it, no multiplayer is worth putting up with that shit.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By alternate
    Dark Souls PC port is being done by Hijinx Studios, who are responsible for the abomination that is Silent Hill HD collection...
    cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By cheesebob

Damn I was hoping for it to be in early-mid august. Not right at the end. TIME TO MAKE A PETITION

mr_ink_5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By mr_ink_5000

please o' gods of consoles, let the extra levels be released as DLC

Char12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Char12

@OmegaPirate: Try useing a homeword bone or the Darksign if you are stuck somewhere, it will transport you to the last bonfire you rested at

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Char12: Im a little afraid to actually try doing that because of where I am and how it might break progression - spoiler tag because of , just in case!

After i got killed by a big fucking dragon and woke up in jail - it managed to pretty much kill all of my equipments resilience, meaning i have no weapons to attack any of the snake dudes, i AM a pyromancer but even my pyro attacks are not getting me through the plethora of tentacle dudes at the bottom of the stairs. I keep dying there and have no items or equipment i can use. I have thought of using the bone, but didnt want to miss the chance to do something affecting the world in the jail. and that i may not be able to get back to it!
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Turambar
    @OmegaPirate said:

@Char12: Im a little afraid to actually try doing that because of where I am and how it might break progression - spoiler tag because of , just in case!

If you use a homeward bone in the Great Library, you'll warp back to that.  That's your new bound point.  (Though if for some reason you don't, Seath is still up there at the top of that tower ready to kill you and send you back to the library.)  If you need to get some souls, one thing you can try is setting down a white soul sign and hope to get summoned.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By xyzygy

@OmegaPirate: Which area in the game are you in? The only jail I can think of is the starting jail...

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#133  Edited By warchief
    No Caption Provided
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but Miyazaki says that DaS *may* not be restricted to GFWL, he's asked his publisher about it. From Software has also been gathering feedback so if you've got a point to make then it might be a good idea to voice on on the official fourms. Source: EuroGamer

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.