Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dark Souls Science: Armor noise matters! (Kinda!)

tactfulogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure how much you guys care about lesser-known gameplay trivia, but I figured I'd share my findings here anyway.

A couple of days ago, I did some experimentation with armor to confirm certain suspicions I've had for a while. As you probably know, there are various sounds your character makes while walking, depending on the armor they're wearing. To my knowledge, the three distinct sounds are jingling, rattling of plated armor, and a muffled cloth sound. However, as it turns out, the sound your armor makes actually has a gameplay effect. While wearing "cloth" armor, you can approach enemies slightly closer before they detect your footsteps. Here is a video showcasing it. The Sunlight Altar bridge makes for a good demonstration spot, because the protruding stones right down the middle work well as indicators on the ground.

There are a few things to note. First of all, it goes without saying that this has almost no bearing on regular play, and it's more of a curiosity than anything else. Second, although I didn't show it in the video, armor noise appears to have not matter while walking slowly - or if it does, it's barely noticeable. Finally, I'd like to say I've only scratched the surface here. The things I have not done include: Testing other enemies, double checking to make sure there aren't more armor sounds, checking if non-chest armor matters in any capacity, sprinting, weight... the list goes on. And to be frank, I doubt I will ever do any of that.

As it stands, this is just an undocumented (at least I think so), useless gameplay oddity. Still, the attention to detail in this game continues to astonish me.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By golguin

Sound can have an impact on how you play Dark Souls as enemies are aware of the noise you make. I personally hit walls with my weapons to make noise and that would attract enemies that didn't have aggro on me. Walking vs running also had an impact. Look no further than these spells for further proof.

Aural Decay: Fires a projectile which creates a sound wherever it collides with a surface. This attracts the attention of enemies in a way similar to Alluring Skull.

Fall Control: Grants buff that removes damage and noise from fall.

Hush: Masks all noises of the caster.

EDIT: I forgot to mention backstabbing. If you have light armor and you slowly approach an enemy from behind you can get an easy backstab. Try walking normally or sprinting towards an enemies back and they'll turn around before you even get close to backstab distance. You can try this from the bonfire above andre from astora. Kill the undead outside the church and then head to the nights with their backs towards you.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's crazy all the things that go on in this game.

tdervan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The attention to detail is amazing. Love the little things you can catch

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.