Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Demon's Souls Sequel "Dark Souls" Hitting 360, PS3 This Year

• 173 results
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By dungbootle

Really interested in this, but I don't have Xbox Live and online functionality seems to be a big part of these games.

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#102  Edited By enemymouse

I loved the first one. Hopefully they add more environmental awareness animations (ledge falls always looked so hokey). Less of a learning curve would be good too; the first game left too much basic information up to the wiki to explain.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#103  Edited By King9999

Cannot wait to play Dark Souls! 

Why are there pics from the first game, though?

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I love Demon Souls. I hate Demon Souls

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By hatking

Dude. Yes.  I was super interested in the combat of the first game but, sadly, not owning a PS3 made it impossible for me to ever experience that.  I'm quite interested.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By august

I am hot for this.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By RVonE
    @RockmanBionics said:
    "They should have called it Dark's Souls, just saying. "
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By august
    @ptys said:
    " Great another sequel. Too soon, should have stayed an exclusive. "
    Awww, is somebody angwy? :(
    bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By bearshamanbro

Clear out the calendar, this Fall is Dark Souls time. Better start mentally preparing now. Don't know if anyone else felt like this but I had a little knot in my stomach watching that and seeing what you're going to go up against in the new game. Can't say many games give me a sense of unease just from watching a preview like that.

EveryNobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By EveryNobody

Super excited for this, Demon Souls was fantastic, and not just because it was difficult. The atmosphere and the gameplay was unlike anything I've played before or since. Glad they're making another one.

Dizazter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Dizazter

Hopefully they tone down the insane difficulty of the first one. I mean, I don't mind  hard game, but to have to replay through the same part 30 times, only to fight an impossible boss and die? Not really good design, imo.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By august

Is it just me or are From Software like Eastern European PC gaming nerds, except they're Japanese and make games for console? And I mean that in the good way!

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By ShadowMountain

I wonder why the GB crew never got into the first one while the rest of the gaming media did. Not saying everyone has the same tastes but things generally have concensous e.g. Mass effect 2 and Red Dead tended to be the only games that won GOTY awards consistently this year for example. Weird.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#114  Edited By Hailinel
    @ShadowMountain said:
    " I wonder why the GB crew never got into the first one while the rest of the gaming media did. Not saying everyone has the same tastes but things generally have concensous e.g. Mass effect 2 and Red Dead tended to be the only games that won GOTY awards consistently this year for example. Weird. "
    I think it was a case of them just considering it this weird Japanese game that they couldn't be bothered to figure out how to play.  None of them bothered playing it beyond the Quick Look, whereas reviewers at other sites actually put in the time to learn how the game actually works and get into it.  That's not to say that the GB crew would enjoy the game even if they did put the time in, but it probably played a role in that.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By august
    @ShadowMountain said:
    " I wonder why the GB crew never got into the first one while the rest of the gaming media did. Not saying everyone has the same tastes but things generally have concensous e.g. Mass effect 2 and Red Dead tended to be the only games that won GOTY awards consistently this year for example. Weird. "

The game is hard.

I love Giant Bomb but there you go. None of the main 4 guys are really into games with a steep learning curve.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By iDarktread

Demon's Souls is without a doubt one of my favorite games of all time. 

I will absolutely be buying Dark Souls.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By MrKlorox

Might pick it up. Been wanting to try Demon's Souls, but a lot of the technical problems actually scared me away. I can enjoy brutal difficulty if the game itself is competent.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By RsistncE

I never played Demon's Souls. Still worth checking out? I was wary because it sounded to me like people were just praising it because it was stupid hard, not because it was actually a good game. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, since I'd love an excuse to actually try it.

KarlHungus01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By KarlHungus01
    @RsistncE said:
    " I never played Demon's Souls. Still worth checking out? I was wary because it sounded to me like people were just praising it because it was stupid hard, not because it was actually a good game. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, since I'd love an excuse to actually try it. "
    Being hard definitely enhances the thrill of playing the game but it would still be an excellent dungeon crawl with great mechanics and atmosphere if it was stupid easy too. 

But what's brilliant about the game is that it's an RPG that you play like a survival horror. Areas are creepy and dark and you're constantly afraid of death, even though dying doesn't carry the penalty that it seems to. Yes, you restart a level but chances are you opened up a shortcut. Yes, you lose your souls but you likely spent almost all your souls before starting the level anyway. It all leads to a sense that death truly means something without crippling you in any long lasting way. In fact, dying usually means you've learned far more than you've lost.

And when you conquer a level, the feeling of accomplishing something that seemed so daunting at the start is something that makes Demon's Souls my favorite game of this console generation.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By Rio

As someone who got a platinum on the game and played through it something like 8 times, I think I'm ready for the next game....

Well of course I'm ready for the sequel, but I'm afraid Ill put too much pressure on myself to do everything in the game like I did the first.  I will have to force myself into the mindset of playing the game casually at first and go from there.  Thats basically how I started off with Demons Souls right before it sucked me into oblivion and spat me out 200 hours later.   

In any case I'm very excited. 

Edit:  Wow, nearly 100% positive comments for this article.  A ton of love going out for Demons Souls.  Kinda makes me wonder if the GB crew regrets at all shunning the game aside.  At least Vinny had a slightly open mind about it.  Wish one of them would dive into the game enough to get a good feel for it.  To each his own I suppose, I certainly hold no ill will towards them for not getting into the game.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121  Edited By subject2change

Some hopeful fixes; make the classes more unique. And not just starting stats. Remove World Tendency I can see them having good or bad intentions changing the way the world goes or something like that but don't make it some crazy intense system in order to get special items and what not.

Obviously day 1 purchase for me. I imported the game and bought a Deluxe when it came out in the States so ya this is going to be amazing!

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Reuben

YES!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
    deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Day 1 purchase right here. 

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By captain_clayman

great another series going non exclusive.  it just looks like exclusives just cant make enough profit in todays economy...sad day.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By august
    @captain_clayman said:
    " great another series going non exclusive.  it just looks like exclusives just cant make enough profit in todays economy...sad day. "
    Yeah, it's a real tragedy that more people get to play good games, and that companies that make good games get to sell them to more people and be more successful.

A real shame.
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Tsoglani
    @DeShawn2ks said:
    " I love Demon Souls. I hate Demon Souls "
    I agree.
    EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By EDfromRED

Holy Crap!  Demon Soul's  and MGS 4 are the only reasons I regret not having a PS3. I have just gone into my Triple-Rainbow happy place, at the news this is 360 bound.
    gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128  Edited By gazel_ministry

I just finished Demon's Souls last week. Amazing game. Very challenging. Didn't have much of a story for an RPG but I honestly didn't care.  I was having too much fun getting summoned for the boss battles.  I thought about playing New game+1 but I'm not sure if I can go through that again. Some one invaded my game and tried to take all my souls right at the beginning. Stupid me for not going offline. Thank god for the Blueblood sword. That trailer looks awesome.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By onarum
    @Subject2Change said:
    " Some hopeful fixes; make the classes more unique. And not just starting stats. Remove World Tendency I can see them having good or bad intentions changing the way the world goes or something like that but don't make it some crazy intense system in order to get special items and what not.  Obviously day 1 purchase for me. I imported the game and bought a Deluxe when it came out in the States so ya this is going to be amazing! "
    Actually it seems they are getting rid of classes altogether, making so you craft your own character from scratch the way you like, and I kinda like that.
    EndoftheLine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EndoftheLine

Yay!  Looking forward to giving this one a shot. It will most likely join the other From Software games I never completed though (King's Field I'm looking at you).

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

"Dark Souls also purports to be a much larger game that Demon's Souls."    

Typo.

ZeroMargin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By ZeroMargin

Demon's Souls is still one of my favorite games for the PS3.  Looking forward to this one.

Kayrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Kayrack

ohhh man............... getting my ass kicked again

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

would like to see this on pc

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy thinks that he might as well just break up with his girlfriend now, rather than later. 

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#136  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I don't see this doing the kind of numbers on the 360 that Demon's Souls did on the PS3.

I've been surprised before tho.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#137  Edited By tebbit

I lost all my souls lets do this

Protonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#138  Edited By Protonguy

Cannot bloody wait. Day 1 purchase no questions asked. Haven't said that for forever.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By xyzygy
    @Gazel_Ministry said:
    " I just finished Demon's Souls last week. Amazing game. Very challenging. Didn't have much of a story for an RPG but I honestly didn't care.  I was having too much fun getting summoned for the boss battles.  I thought about playing New game+1 but I'm not sure if I can go through that again. Some one invaded my game and tried to take all my souls right at the beginning. Stupid me for not going offline. Thank god for the Blueblood sword. That trailer looks awesome. "
    I agree about the story. But I think it makes up for that in the sheer amounts of atmosphere and intensity. You kind of know the state that the world in because you are experiencing the worst of it. Such an awesome game.
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Famov

I've never played a From Software game but people I trust tell me they're worth caring about. And other people I trust tell me that Demon's Souls is a cool game. The news of this on the 360 has me interested as a result. 
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By august
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Gazel_Ministry said:
    " I just finished Demon's Souls last week. Amazing game. Very challenging. Didn't have much of a story for an RPG but I honestly didn't care.  I was having too much fun getting summoned for the boss battles.  I thought about playing New game+1 but I'm not sure if I can go through that again. Some one invaded my game and tried to take all my souls right at the beginning. Stupid me for not going offline. Thank god for the Blueblood sword. That trailer looks awesome. "
    I agree about the story. But I think it makes up for that in the sheer amounts of atmosphere and intensity. You kind of know the state that the world in because you are experiencing the worst of it. Such an awesome game. "
    The emphasis of atmosphere over plot is EXACTLY what's drawing me to this game.
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Demon's Souls is one of the best games I have ever played.  I have a deep love and respect for this game.  If you don't have either, then there is no way you will make it through.  I would be very surprised if this game does well on 360.  Brutally hard over convoluted JRPG seems diametrically opposed to the 360 fan base.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#143  Edited By Nentisys

Very interested in this, never got to play the first one as I dont have a PS3.

Too bad no PC version as it would be superior, but oh well, il get in on the 360.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#144  Edited By eric_buck

I'm not a fan boy, but I prefer if PS3 exclusives stay on the PS3 because it means the game will likely not look as good as before, and the PS3 may very well get the shaft. Ahh well still looks awesome.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#145  Edited By Tordah

Awesome trailer. Glad to see this coming to the 360 as well.

Zanthox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#146  Edited By Zanthox

Super Excited! 
    Demon's souls was one of the most satisfying and rewarding games I've ever played. Plus I loved the settings, I can't wait to see more of what these guys can make!

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#147  Edited By FesteringNeon

No Caption Provided

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Three0neFive
    @bukkookkub said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Holy shit, maximum nostalgia.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#149  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I played through Demon's Souls all the way through once. I enjoyed it's way of making every big victory feel momentous. I got half way though the second run and rage quit on the boss that can steal levels from you. I hate that douche.

genkobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#150  Edited By genkobar

Consider me stoked!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.