Did I get cursed by a Gravelord Servant?

#1 Edited by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I was in the painted world and I tried to invade someone as a Spirit of Vengeance. I made it into their world and searched for them forever and couldn't find the host. I finally gave up after about 20 minutes of searching, lol, so I sent myself back to my world. When I got back, there were tons of black phantom bulgey head dudes that blow fire, and black phantom wheelie dudes in that dark area where you turn the wheel. I searched all over my world and couldn't find a summon sign of the gravelord servant. Does it look like a regular summon sign or what? Oh....and whoever did that to me....screw you buddy!

p.s. If you get cursed by a gravelord while in the Painted World, do not slide down the ladder where the well entrance is into the underpart. There is a black phantom waiting there with open arms, and as you slide down the ladder, he will spin you to pieces.

#2 Posted by Smokay (525 posts) -

Yeaah sounds like you got screwed,when I was a gravelord servant I never managed to curse someones world I think

#3 Posted by Chet_Rippo (233 posts) -

@AndyD74: Yep. The summon sign should look different, I recall it having a weird black fog effect over it. Unfortunately the way gravelording works is that the summon sign will follow the current location of the gravelord. So unless they stay completely still it will be annoying to find it.

#4 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

Wait a second guys, I shut my ps3 off for about 6 hours, came back and I still have black phantoms in the painted world! Wtf is going on???

#5 Posted by Tenryu (44 posts) -

Would you happen to be in human form? The Painted World in particular has a lot of black phantom mobs spawn when you're in human form. It sounds more so like that over a gravelord invasion. On a side note, if this is the case head to the right further in once you enter the castle through the front, you can fight a black phantom named npc for a drop! He uses fire storm as I recall so be careful!

#6 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Tenryu said:

Would you happen to be in human form? The Painted World in particular has a lot of black phantom mobs spawn when you're in human form. It sounds more so like that over a gravelord invasion. On a side note, if this is the case head to the right further in once you enter the castle through the front, you can fight a black phantom named npc for a drop! He uses fire storm as I recall so be careful!

Ive ran the painted world as a human. Only one phantom spawned. What do you mean there is a lot?

@OP What soul level are ya? IF you need help I can hop in. Im level 64.

#7 Posted by Tenryu (44 posts) -

I'm not talking about invasion black phantoms or named black phantom npcs, but they more or less look like black phantoms. They are generally spawned when you're in human form. There tends to be black phantom type exploding mobs as I recall being one of the more numerous types. I guess to clarify it causes black phantom mobs to spawn as a result of being in human form.

#8 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Tenryu said:

I'm not talking about invasion black phantoms or named black phantom npcs, but they more or less look like black phantoms. They are generally spawned when you're in human form. There tends to be black phantom type exploding mobs as I recall being one of the more numerous types. I guess to clarify it causes black phantom mobs to spawn as a result of being in human form.

Ive never seen them and have spent over 100 hours in game.

The only black phantoms that "Spawn" Are NPC run ins once and a wile. And there is only one in the painted world. Can you find a screen shot or anything?

@OP Yes you got infected. What will happen is that the normal mobs will be there. But also copies of them. Black Phatom version of them that are stronger. If you die do not fear. The person who sent them does not get anything

#9 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

Tenryu, I've played this map several times and have never seen what you're talking about.

Laughing Man, I'm 109 on ng+.

So, I ended up finding out that it was indeed a Gravelord Servant who did this to me. Unbelievably, I had my ps3 turned off for about 6 hours, came back, and still had black phantoms there. I found the summon sign. It is white with black outline and kind of black misty aura floating out of it. He must have moved it because I found it at the top of the stairs near the bonfire. I had summoned a phantom before I found the soul sign of the GS, so I couldn't click on it, lol. I banished the phantom so that I could click on it, but then I got the message "All disasters have been removed....." so I guess someone else got to him before me. All the black phantoms are now gone.

#10 Posted by Tenryu (44 posts) -

Gahaha, had a good laugh going back through the Painted World. Yeah, I guess it was so long ago when I went through that maybe I had a gravelord sign placed as well because they seemed to only show up whenever I was in human form because I would always have black phantoms there. This was when I was on an earlier version of the game than my current version because it is indeed now phantom free. Maybe I was bugged at the time with a sign placed that was never removed as a newbie lol. It certainly makes things boring and less intense now though knowing there aren't glowing red mobs to assault my human form :(

Glad you got it removed though, it does make things more hectic with exploding guys all about throwing fire. Darn toxic... >_>!

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5335 posts) -

I've been "Cursed by servants" a few times but this was all pre 1.4, did they fix how it worked so you actually encounter BPs now or is it still finicky and this guy just got "lucky?" It always happened to me when I homewarded to firelink, I'd then look around for a while and find nothing and be sad. I once put up a GL sign in NLR right before Four Kings but never was summoned and wasn't sure if it'd fade if I left the zone.

#12 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

^ Try it in the Painted World and see if it works there. That's where I was when I happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.