Divine way to pass the time

#1 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

So I have been rocking that standard straight sword that you find next to the sleepy dragon that clings to that cliff in the Valley of the Drakes xD for a loooong time as it scales with Faith! my best stat! yaay. Anyway pretty bored of it now and a nice chap suggested that I ascent a normal weapon to a Divine one that will also scale with my faith!

So I looked it up and I need a Divine Ember that I can apparently find in the forest behind some butterfly.

My question is: Is this a one use item only meaning I have to be very careful about the style of weapon I choose? Coz I was gonna pick the Claymore as I have just enough str to use it flexibly... but I am not so sure because of how bad it is in tight quarters such as most of the depths :S If so, is there anywhere I can find or grind more divine ember before ringing the second bell? I just got to Blight Town but I am lvl 42 and I dont want to lvl anymore so I will have tons of extra souls and would love to be able to make a few weapons that scale with Faith, such as a Claymore, Scimitar and Pointy sword or spear.

If it is indeed the only divine ember I will have access too for a while, which style of weapon would u suggest for a "Paladin" kind of build??, or at least that what I call it, I use a few pyromancies, my BELOVED sun spear, heal and any weapon that scales with Faith (apart from a lot of the heavier ones due to lack of STR sadly)

#2 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Once you give an ember to a blacksmith, you can modify any weapon to be a divine weapon as long as it meets the requirements (I want to say it's +5, but I don't know since +15 weapons with the sun blade or dark moon blade are usually what I go with). You'll need the correct shards to upgrade after that. Green shards will take you to +5 divine, and can be farmed from the slimes in the depths or bought from the giant in Anor Londo or the merchant in Sen's. White chunks will take you to +9, which can be farmed from the black knights in the Kiln, or from bone towers in the Tomb of the Giants. You can also get one from Snuggly if you give her a sunlight medal. +10 requires a white slab, which can be found on a corpse in the Tomb of the Giants or farmed with a really low drop rate from the Pinwheel enemies right before Nito's boss door.

As for the build, the first thing I'd recommend is getting rid of Pyromancy. If you're pumping points into faith, there are a bunch of other spells you could and should be using instead, like wrath of the gods, great heal, and the two "blade" spells I mentioned earlier.

#3 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee: Perfect thanks!!! I will be able to make as many holy weapons as I wish :D yaaaaaay.

As to the spells, I agree with u entierly but pyromancy is not costing me any stats so it doesnt matter untill I finally find those spells :D lol all I have is the spear and heal but thanks ill keep an eye out for more spells coz I preffer faith ones.

#4 Edited by ImBigInJapan (250 posts) -

@Bassario said:

@Morbid_Coffee: Perfect thanks!!! I will be able to make as many holy weapons as I wish :D yaaaaaay.

The limiting factor for divine weapons is titanite - green shards can be slow to farm. There's a merchant that will solve that eventually.

#5 Posted by JackG100 (403 posts) -

If you use the soul from the butterfly on a +10 spear you can make a divine special spear as well. I suggest googling a dark souls wiki for more info about everything of that.

#6 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

If you really need Green Titanite, hit the Leech enemies in the swamp at the base of blighttown. They drop it at a much higher rate than the slimes, and also drop 5 pieces at a time, which means 2 drops is all you need to finish the 0-5 upgrading for a single divine weapon. They also drop Large titanite shards, though sadly just one of those.

#7 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

If you really need Green Titanite, hit the Leech enemies in the swamp at the base of blighttown. They drop it at a much higher rate than the slimes, and also drop 5 pieces at a time, which means 2 drops is all you need to finish the 0-5 upgrading for a single divine weapon. They also drop Large titanite shards, though sadly just one of those.

Hahaha, I was like ooohhh great tip.

1 hour later in Blighttown after spending 50 min of that hour doing NOTHING BUT SEARCHING FOR THOSE GOD FORSAKEN LITTLE LADDERS TO GO DOWN OH MY GOD SAVE ME JESUS WHY WHY WHYYYY WORST STAGE IN GAMING HISTORY HEEELLLPPPP

EDIT: Seriously! I cant even get out of here coz I activated the fire! God have mercy... I am still trying to get to the bottom floor for the Green Titanite but I think im ready to give up and go sit with that douchebag in chainmail next to the fire at Firelink Shrine....

#8 Edited by Paco (113 posts) -

@Bassario: If you think blighttown is bad, just wait until Sen's Fortress. Swinging axes over narrow bridges, with enemies shooting at you from a distance. Also, Tomb of the Giants is a bitch.

Just a heads up, make sure you have the rusted iron ring (found in the Undead Asylum revisit if you got the key from that one roof in Firelink Shrine), or else the swamp at the bottom will be a nightmare. Also, farm purple moss clumps and blooming purple moss clumps from the tree monsters in Darkroot Garden to cure poison and toxic status effects.

#9 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

@Bassario said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

1 hour later in Blighttown after spending 50 min of that hour doing NOTHING BUT SEARCHING FOR THOSE GOD FORSAKEN LITTLE LADDERS TO GO DOWN OH MY GOD SAVE ME JESUS WHY WHY WHYYYY WORST STAGE IN GAMING HISTORY HEEELLLPPPP

EDIT: Seriously! I cant even get out of here coz I activated the fire! God have mercy... I am still trying to get to the bottom floor for the Green Titanite but I think im ready to give up and go sit with that douchebag in chainmail next to the fire at Firelink Shrine....

I'm going to feel bad if I inadvertently doomed you to be forever trapped in Blighttown. No one deserves that.

There's a handy shortcut for escaping, if you do manage to make it to the ground floor- the Waterwheel doubles as an elevator, and if you're careful once you ride it up you can bust straight out of there and end up right next door to Firelink Shrine. It also works the other way around- with the Master Key, you never have to set foot in the worst parts of Blighttown, and can take the wheel straight to titanite-farming city. Granted, it's still a horrible poisonous swamp full of respawning mosquitoes and giant trolls looking to go all Katamari on your ass, but it's a godsend when you have weapons and armor you want upgraded.

#10 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Bassario said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

I'm going to feel bad if I inadvertently doomed you to be forever trapped in Blighttown. No one deserves that.

There's a handy shortcut for escaping, if you do manage to make it to the ground floor- the Waterwheel doubles as an elevator, and if you're careful once you ride it up you can bust straight out of there and end up right next door to Firelink Shrine. It also works the other way around- with the Master Key, you never have to set foot in the worst parts of Blighttown, and can take the wheel straight to titanite-farming city. Granted, it's still a horrible poisonous swamp full of respawning mosquitoes and giant trolls looking to go all Katamari on your ass, but it's a godsend when you have weapons and armor you want upgraded.

I killed it O_O I slaughtered it, it is dead... no more tapping no more tap-tap tap-tap giant wall head crab is no more.... *hisssssss*

#11 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

Ok... no I am sane, I can still make it back here. I killed the damn head-crab and got my stuff back through an almighty divine miracle now I used a bone to get back to the fire, I can probably make it out this way.

Is the quickest way to the bottom via the back-door maybe? the back door that is accessible through the Drake Valley place... otherwise I dunno... what makes this place so damn WRONG is not the enemies or horrible poison, its the HELLISH layout, I honestly can not find my way around its insane Im normally good at that but It is SO DAMN hard to see where those ladders start when u dont know the area and wanna go down, they dont stand out at all and I refuse to jump down someplace if I dont know how to get back up coz I am carrying so much humanity.... :(

#12 Posted by mosespippy (3973 posts) -

@Bassario: I skipped most of blighttown by using the master key so I'm not sure but isn't there a torch next to every ladder?

#13 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

At least he's not playing the console version of Blighttown!

#14 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee said:

At least he's not playing the console version of Blighttown!

lol.... I am

#15 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

I did it.... the swamp makes poisons me -_- ... I dont have the iron ring... I cant do anything down here... it was like going through the worst place on earth to recive a punch in the dick....

the only things keeping me barely alive are combination of ring that gives tiny bit of health after killing something... gargoyle axe and my HUGE supply of purple moss from back in the forest -_-

Edit: well it did it, after 2 hours and many deaths ALL due to combat + platforming and some just the platforming I have died twice in a row, first death was after defeating what felt like everything and failing to mount the elevator at the other end of the world, well there you go Blighttown, stripped me of a lifetime of collecting humanity and many tens of thousands of souls....

#16 Posted by mason (258 posts) -

Um.... I kinda...like Blighttown. It's actually one of my favorite areas. But I came to Dark Souls for that sweet taste of masochism, and Blightown delivered the pain.

Now that I've played through the game a few times, there's something nostalgic about that hellhole.

#17 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Go and get Gold Hemmed Black Robes and you don't have to worry about the poison much at all. I was frolicking around Blightown like it was a breezy summer day.

#18 Posted by Ghost249 (250 posts) -

@Bassario: You can either used the gold hemmed set or if you find the Shadow armor set (Ninja gear).

And going back to the Divine weapons, you are still going to need the large divine ember found in the tomb of giants which will allow you to upgrade your divine weapon +5 all the way to +10 in which on the post in this thread mentioned about the white slab.

Note: The Large Divine Ember (Located in Tomb Of Giants) is a death-run for you if you are not prepared to deal with 4-6 Giant skeletons in an enclosed area.

#19 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

It is the worst thing on earth... I dont think Dark Souls is as masochistic as everyone says... ok ok hang on, alright in Blighttown YES, YES IT IS but apart from that I find that if I play the game super slow and observe everything, take corners very cautiously, and never jump down somewhere where you dont immediately know how to get back you can generally learn everything with very minimal deaths, tho I get the feeling most ppl play games at a faster pace than me.

With Blighttown... its not that its particularly hard, its not that at all. It's just an endurance thing, it saps the life out of you just like it does your character... The goddamn endless platforms and getting lost, the LIGHTING is SO FREAKIN annoying it dims and allows me to see close range just as Im trying to scout ahead, or it gets dark and focuses on the distance sometimes when I dont want it to!!! the GOD FORSAKEN mosquitoes always stalking me at the worst time possible and they NEVER stop coming, the endless maze and the grossly unattractive and extremely annoying to fight douche mobs everywhere... again they're not even hard they are just another thing designed to annoy the crap out of meeeeeeee!!

Just like people have said: If you come prepared (which I half did by a tiny bit of luck) then its not that much of a pain but what poor soul is gonna be prepared on their first play through?

I LOVE the difficulty the game throws at you and expects you to learn and over come it but BLIGHT-FUCKING-TOWN is just made to be a huge "bang your head against nearest wall out of sheer annoyance and frustration" zone, I got 6 miserable green titanites after that and about 10 of the large ones even tho THATS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE DROP rate and even tho thats not nearly enough I am leaving coz I lost all my humanity in one poor jump and need to grind it back -_-

EVEN THE ELEVATOR IS MADE IN SUCH A WAY THAT IF YOU ARE CARELESS YOU WILL EAT SHIT!!! SO DAMN MEAN!!!

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I just got to Blighttown. I was willing to pass off the general public opinion as hype, but it's 100% true.

I have compiled a travel brochure.

Visit scenic Blighttown! Experience:

• 24/7 nightlife! Even light itself seeks to escape this fetid septic tank.
  • Classic architecture! If it's not precarious and made out of rotten planks and wet cardboard, it ain't Blighttown!
  • Charming atmosphere! The poison will kill you if the falling doesn't. Convenient!
#21 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

Ummm... sigh, this Blighttown Boss wasn't behind the white light I assumed he was behind O_O help!! is he roughly towards the middle, down near the swamp or someplace up above?

P.S. Love the travel brochure, surprisingly accurate.

OH my GOD it is in the spider cave, I should be using the DAMN BACK DOOR THIS WHOLE TIME GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR

#22 Posted by Sterling (2050 posts) -

The boss in Blighttown is at the very bottom.

#23 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

finally got down there from the very top and some filthy whore twink managed to get me right at the bottom near boss! woohoo! Thanks you pathetic degenerate sub-humans, should have bought the pc version...

#24 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

@oulzac said:

The boss in Blighttown is at the very bottom.

ty

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.