Do i really need to play dark souls??

• 60 results
Posted by Dago (2 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Do i really need to play dark souls?? (290 votes)

yes 68%
No 29%
wait for dark souls 2 14%
#1 Posted by Steadying (1554 posts) -

Yep.

Well, I mean, I guess it kinda depends. If you like your RPG's having lots of cutscenes and story and stuff, for better or for worse, Dark Souls isn't like that at all. (It has a pretty cool story, but it's buried waaaaay down in there. If all you want is some really great, addicting, and super challenging gameplay that almost never gets totally unfair, then yeah, you should totally play Dark Souls.

#2 Edited by Tidel (362 posts) -

People are still talking about and playing Dark Souls like it's new. It's been two years.

Sure, Dark Souls II is coming out in a few months, but it's been like this the entire time since Dark Souls was released.

As far as cultural currency is concerned, Dark Souls is capital I Important in gaming, like few other games are.

#3 Posted by Ezekiel (604 posts) -

You don't need to play anything, but I recommend it. I'm confident Dark Souls II will be better, though.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19417 posts) -

No.

#5 Edited by LucidDreams117 (429 posts) -

Yes. I say so.

I actually really tried to. Got a couple hours in but had to flake out. I just didn't have the patience. But I experienced it. For better or for worse. I understood it and damn, do I respect the hell out of what that game is. So I'm not saying you have to play through it all but go as far as you can. Play it to see what its all about.

#6 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6166 posts) -

Waiting and playing Ds 2 is a good option if you really want to get in the launch excitement while it's happening. When it comes down to it, the split in the experience you'll have between Ds 2 and the other previous games is that it's an unknown. I say that in the sense that there won't be as much detailed broken down info on the game for a while.

On the other hand Demon's and Dark Souls have been picked apart completely. One of the reasons I'm personally super excited for Ds 2 is that I can experience the game before any of that happens. I'l be discovering things about the game right along everyone else for the very first time. Regardless, I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in the series, but no, you don't need to play it.

#7 Edited by IamTerics (462 posts) -

I heard it was pretty good. Have you heard of a game called Spelunky? I head that's pretty good too.

#8 Edited by Milkman (17588 posts) -

I mean...do you want to play Dark Souls? I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12724 posts) -

No. I have no interest in playing it, so I haven't played it. Bad things happen when you get sucked into the hype and end up playing a game that's just not for you.

#10 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (487 posts) -

If you want to, sure? The way you worded that question makes it seem like you're not really interested in it and if that's the case, don't bother with it.

#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6166 posts) -

No. I have no interest in playing it, so I haven't played it. Bad things happen when you get sucked into the hype and end up playing a game that's just not for you.

If you want to, sure? The way you worded that question makes it seem like you're not really interested in it and if that's the case, don't bother with it.

Exactly. It's never a good idea to force yourself into something that's just not for you, only because there's such a strong fervor around it. If Op legitimately wants to play the game, then go for it. But it kind of sounds like there's a forced incentive behind his wording.

#12 Posted by wjb (1730 posts) -

I voted all three.

Chaos.

#13 Posted by ThunderSlash (2081 posts) -

No. But you should if you are up for a quality game.

#14 Posted by McShank (1633 posts) -
@beachthunder said:

@friendlyphoenix said:

Exactly. It's never a good idea to force yourself into something that's just not for you, only because there's such a strong fervor around it. If Op legitimately wants to play the game, then go for it. But it kind of sounds like there's a forced incentive behind his wording.

How do you know its not a game for you until you have played it? What hype? I played that shit before any damn hype. I had already made multiple runs and characters through NG+++++ x 6 - 3 + 100 or whatever I am on with demon's souls. Same thing with Persona 1,2,3fes and 4 before any hype from giantbomb. Play the game, if you enjoy it then keep playing. You Cannot say a game is not for you Till you have at least tried it. Just like food, dont know if you like it till you have tried it.

Also, with people saying "forced", if you feel like your forcing yourself then its because you actually want to. no one has a gun to your head, if you feel like you have to play it then just play it. If ya hate it, sell it and move on.

#15 Posted by believer258 (12446 posts) -

Try it if you have an interest but there's no real reason to if you don't like it.

That doesn't mean put it down after 30 minutes, though. Give it a couple hours at least.

#16 Edited by roninenix (126 posts) -

I'd say give it a try. You'll never know if you like the game or not until you get into it yourself. I remember buying Batman Arkham Asylum and just had it on my PC for months. I kept putting it off 'cause I knew I didn't like superheroes in general, and that kind of third person action game wasn't my thing. But, after all the hype, I decided to give it a try, beat it in a few days and enjoyed the hell out of it.

#17 Edited by blackichigo (179 posts) -

#18 Edited by crithon (3474 posts) -

I say try it..... but be open minded. It's not like we are FORCING YOU to play it. No one wants to do that here. We just really love it, and it's really whimsical, funny, clever, beautiful, and a thrilling experence. Like nothing out there is like this game.

Vinny said it best in this past bombcast, "you just discover a build and go 'why isn't anyone else playing this?'"

#19 Posted by RonGalaxy (3332 posts) -

Just started playing it tonight. Was killed twice by Havel so I gave up for the night. Right now impression is positive. Not as hard to grasp as I imagined. Still not sure what humanity is for, or how you become human, or what the point of that is, but I'm still early on, so I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

#20 Edited by Random45 (1365 posts) -

Uh, if you don't want to, don't go for it.

However, it's a good game, so I recommend it.

Edit: On a semi-related note I feel like I'm starting to REALLY get burnt out from all the Dark Souls/Demon Souls hype and videos being released so often now. By the time Dark Souls 2 comes out, I'll probably be too sick of the damn games to play for a while.

#21 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

You don't need to do anything.

But you really should play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. They're the natural evolution of classic Zelda games. Your mind has to be in the right place to get into them though. I credit my first run through Demon's Souls for curing me of a lot of bad video gaming habits and attitudes.

#22 Edited by bybeach (5101 posts) -

I got out of it the same as I have done the other primarily better/best games in my past. That it gets all this discussion is that it is a really a not so far come from behind game. That it has that distinction is probably because it's beginning was that way. Demon Souls, and more so Dark Souls are a laudable success story. My feeling is Jeff ought to discard all the noise about the game, and give it another chance. I heard his reasons in the Bombcast, but it didn't seem to me he was judging the game really on it's own distinct merits and mechanics

#23 Posted by Christoffer (1971 posts) -

No you don't need to play it. It's a good and unique game with a great sense of discovery on your first playthrough. Not as tough as some people describe it, not as jaw-droppingly awesome as other people say (my opinions). But I recommend it.

#24 Posted by Danteveli (1225 posts) -

no there is no need unless you want to.

#25 Edited by Ezekiel (604 posts) -

@tourgen said:

But you really should play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. They're the natural evolution of classic Zelda games. Your mind has to be in the right place to get into them though. I credit my first run through Demon's Souls for curing me of a lot of bad video gaming habits and attitudes.

Zelda and Souls aren't that similar. Zelda is more about the puzzles than the combat. The combat is similar, but I wouldn't say Souls' system is entirely an evolution. It's missing features that make Zelda's combat so good, like directional (analog) attacks and strafing without lock-on. I guess you mean the exploration of the first Zelda.

#26 Edited by Hunter5024 (6142 posts) -

Since the bombcrew started getting all into it, and the community ranked it second place in both game of the generation polls I finally decided to try Dark Souls. I think I'm like 2/3rds through? Anyways its pretty good so far, though personally I'm just not seeing "Game of The Generation" type material here. We'll see if the rest changes my mind. I guess just don't go in expecting too much because the amount of praise this game has received is pretty phenomenal and you may be disappointed. I'm still a little puzzled honestly. I want to like it as much as everyone else though!

#27 Edited by Aetheldod (3824 posts) -

Yes ... if you want to :D

#28 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

If you look at Dark Souls and think "This doesn't look that great, I don't get it" then you probably shouldn't, cause you probably won't like it. I bought it for $6 anyways and am still wondering why.

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (12264 posts) -

It's the best game I've played in years, but you have to want to play it. If you don't, you'll just end up coloring your experience with frustration.

#30 Posted by TobbRobb (4916 posts) -

No you don't. It's good though, so you might want to consider it.

#31 Posted by DonMFJohnson (153 posts) -

Well worth playing while you wait for Dark Souls 2. Great as a game and gets you into the Souls mindset.

#32 Posted by Darji (5293 posts) -

It is worth playing but you do not need to play it to be able to enjoy Dark Souls 2.

#33 Posted by JackSukeru (6029 posts) -

YES! The fate of the world hangs upon you finishing Dark souls.

Don't fail us!

#34 Posted by Lumley (969 posts) -

Yes

At least try it. I thought I would have zero interest in the game and put off getting it until a couple of months ago and 20 hours in I love it. You can get it super cheap now so it's worth a try at the very least.

#35 Edited by BabyChooChoo (5029 posts) -

I love the Souls games and I would say no. They're great games and provide a very unique experience, but at the same time I feel that the experience they do provide isn't so unique and "life-changing" that everyone should play it.

#36 Edited by Humanity (10695 posts) -

No one really has to play anything really, if we want to get all metaphysical..

#37 Posted by MentalDisruption (1692 posts) -

You don't need to, but I really recommend trying it. If you don't do it soon I'd wait for Dark Souls 2 though. Playing them back to back probably wouldn't be the best idea.

#38 Posted by Belegorm (784 posts) -

@tourgen said:

I don't think so; as someone said above, Zelda's more about the puzzles than the combat.

What I do think Dark Souls is an evolution of, are the classic Castlevania games (to a certain extent). You explore this dark world filled with horrid creatures, move very awkwardly and slowly and have to adapt to that. Not quite as big on platforming, but that's probably for the best.

#39 Posted by VeggiesBro (158 posts) -

Like others have said, do you have to? Absolutely not. This is a question you need to answer yourself. I personally think the game is great, so I voted yes. I'd also recommend at the very least trying it, that way you can figure out if you like it or not.

It's also on sale on xbox live right now for $5. Though not sure which platform you are looking to play it on.

#40 Edited by Kaiserreich (774 posts) -

I don't know, do you really need to have fun?

#41 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6435 posts) -

You know what has nothing to do with this thread? Yakuza.

#42 Edited by Devise22 (232 posts) -

Really depends on your game tastes, and if you have interest in playing Dark Souls 2. The story stuff generally isn't needed to continue forward, but if you wish to get into Dark Souls 2 when it releases I personally feel it is a must to have played a Souls game. Demon or Dark either or, but it gives you a sense of the series and what to expect. The Souls games have so much depth to them that going in and expecting something traditional could instantly get you looking for the wrong things. In order to have a clear understanding for the expectations of Dark Souls 2 playing either Demon's or Dark Souls would be beneficial.

@belegorm The Souls games are totally an evolution of Zelda. I recall playing Orcarina of Time way back when without strategy guides and the experience was very similar to a Souls game, although not nearly as difficult simply due to the systems. Exploration, hidden depth everywhere, stumbling upon secrets and things, boss difficulty that actually at the time felt difficult because the "standard" had yet to be set for exactly what you had to do. The argument that Zelda is more of a puzzle game is quite invalid since the way the Souls games are structured makes them completely like puzzle games. Memorization of enemy patterns, enemy habits, level designs and enemy placement as well as the flow of the games combat is pretty much a puzzle game in and of itself. Just because it combines some of those elements with your reactionary abilities doesn't make it less of a mental task. Think of Portal as an example of a puzzle game that also combines "skill" over how you control your player/what you are doing to solve said puzzles. Souls functions in a very similar way. In some instances Zelda also has you needing to rely on your abilities combined with the solution of the puzzle to execute.

#44 Posted by Rafaelfc (1626 posts) -

Do you like good games?

If the answer is yes, then you should play it.

#45 Edited by vikingdeath1 (1027 posts) -

If you don't play Dark Souls you will LITERALLY EXPLODE.

... but it's a pretty chill game duder.

#46 Posted by jaycrockett (530 posts) -

I don't like hard games so wasn't that interested in Dark Souls, but it was 5 bucks on the 360 so I picked it up. Ended up loving it, though I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

#47 Posted by Nasar7 (2883 posts) -

No, you don't need to. Things you need to do include eating, drinking water, and taking a shit. Everything else is up to you!

#48 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4713 posts) -

I think the game is exceptional and easily one of the best games in years and puts most games to shame from a design standpoint. It is one of those games that is important, so if you like playing games for that reason, I say go for it.

#49 Posted by spraynardtatum (4011 posts) -

Yes. If you want your soul to be pure then yes.

#50 Edited by Ezekiel (604 posts) -

@devise22 said:

@belegorm The Souls games are totally an evolution of Zelda. I recall playing Orcarina of Time way back when without strategy guides and the experience was very similar to a Souls game, although not nearly as difficult simply due to the systems. Exploration, hidden depth everywhere, stumbling upon secrets and things, boss difficulty that actually at the time felt difficult because the "standard" had yet to be set for exactly what you had to do. The argument that Zelda is more of a puzzle game is quite invalid since the way the Souls games are structured makes them completely like puzzle games. Memorization of enemy patterns, enemy habits, level designs and enemy placement as well as the flow of the games combat is pretty much a puzzle game in and of itself. Just because it combines some of those elements with your reactionary abilities doesn't make it less of a mental task. Think of Portal as an example of a puzzle game that also combines "skill" over how you control your player/what you are doing to solve said puzzles. Souls functions in a very similar way. In some instances Zelda also has you needing to rely on your abilities combined with the solution of the puzzle to execute.

I disagree. Just because they both require problem solving doesn't mean one is an evolution. They have very different types of problem solving. And Souls is an RPG. You create your own character and level up with the points of the enemies you kill, while in Zelda you level up by collecting items. The sidequests aren't similar. Souls doesn't have minigames, fetch quests and villages/towns with lots of talking inhabitants whose behavior alternates between night and day. Souls doesn't even have night and day cycles, and the NPCs barely move and physically emote. The series doesn't derive enough from Zelda. It's like comparing a modern human to a gorilla instead of to a neanderthal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.