Do you prefer YOU DEFEATED or VICTORY ACHIEVED?

• 85 results
Edited 4 months, 7 days ago

Do you prefer YOU DEFEATED or VICTORY ACHIEVED? (585 votes)

VICTORY ACHIEVED 10%
YOU DEFEATED 90%

Forget all those "Character of the Generation" polls...this is serious business.

#51 Posted by GaspoweR (2510 posts) -

A more compelling opponent to go against "You Defeated" in the next round:

#52 Posted by Creigz (180 posts) -

I preferred Victory Achieved. It almost sounds Japanese and broken with an attempt at being "gentlemanly".

#53 Posted by probablytuna (3444 posts) -

I hope Dark Souls 2 keeps the 'YOU DEFEATED' screen. That is the best.

#54 Edited by A_E_Martin (84 posts) -

I'm playing the Prepare to Die Edition on PS3, and what comes up there is Victory Achieved. Even though it has the DLC included on disc, and cost only as much as a third of a full-priced game, I feel like I've been robbed.

#55 Edited by Eaxis (866 posts) -

YOU DIED... i mean YOU DEFEATED.

#56 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

I'm more of a You Defeated man. Engrish makes it more memorable and charming.

#57 Edited by tsutohiro (346 posts) -

"YOU DEFEATED" is easily the winner. Its right up there with, "A WINNER IS YOU".

#58 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED. Man what a relief it was to see those words across the screen.

#59 Posted by Gamer_152 (13974 posts) -

I mean they're both kind of dumb so I like the way that "YOU DEFEATED" really leans into it.

#60 Posted by Rafaelfc (1282 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED

it's the only real option.

#61 Posted by Cramsy (1160 posts) -

@coafi said:

YOU WON, FUCKER.

I'd accept this as a replacement. YOU DEFEATED is still king though

#62 Posted by ch3burashka (4902 posts) -

#63 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -
#64 Posted by JamesJeux007 (454 posts) -

Never played Dark Souls, but judging from those two things out of context, Victory Achieved sounds like you accomplished something but You Defeated sounds like you just fucked someone or something up, so that one wins

Nailed it.

#65 Edited by Nasar7 (2500 posts) -

I'd prefer if when you died it said "A DEFEATED IS YOU" or something along those lines. "You Defeated" is such sublimely bad English that it kind of adds a special kind of flavor to Dark Souls, just like all the horrifically butchered scriptural English such as "Cometh soon" that makes my skin crawl.

I'm not only replying to you but I don't see why it's considered such horrible English. It's really just an incomplete sentence: You Defeated [the Demon].

#66 Posted by Asky314159 (53 posts) -
@nasar7 said:

@mormonwarrior said:

I'd prefer if when you died it said "A DEFEATED IS YOU" or something along those lines. "You Defeated" is such sublimely bad English that it kind of adds a special kind of flavor to Dark Souls, just like all the horrifically butchered scriptural English such as "Cometh soon" that makes my skin crawl.

I'm not only replying to you but I don't see why it's considered such horrible English. It's really just an incomplete sentence: You Defeated [the Demon].

Right. "You Defeated" is perfectly valid Japanese, too, since the object of the sentence is easily implied from context. Whoever was translating made the correct translation, they just failed to make the object explicit. Something like "You're Winner" is worse because someone made the translation and then decided to get fancy with the contractions without understanding them.

#67 Posted by Timing (616 posts) -

I'm surprised you even had to ask.

That said, it's no

http://i.imgur.com/9DC2HPg.jpg

#68 Edited by DonChipotle (2655 posts) -

You Defeated is dumb. It's the dumbest.

#69 Edited by ChrisTaran (1488 posts) -

Always Engrish.

#70 Posted by chkdsk1991 (28 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED, like any sane person would.

#71 Posted by Cybertification (169 posts) -

One of my favourite parts of Dark Souls is that everyone talks to you unnaturally, kind of like in STALKER. It improves the atmosphere.

So YOU DEFEATED is better, but honestly I don't like how it pretends that you actually achieved something.

#72 Posted by fisk0 (3282 posts) -

@gaspower said:

A more compelling opponent to go against "You Defeated" in the next round:

Yeah, that's the only true answer.

#73 Posted by Ramone (2931 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED feels like the spiritual successor to YOU'RE WINNER.

So yeah, YOU DEFEATED wins every time.

#74 Posted by Nux (2208 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED was so good. I really wish they didn't change it. Oh well, hopefully you defeated comes back in Dark Souls 2.

#75 Posted by seveword (119 posts) -

I hope it gets even more broken in the sequel, like it just says "AWESOME" or something when you beat a boss.

#76 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (527 posts) -

WRECKED THAT FOOL is the ideal message, but YOU DEFEATED is good too.

#77 Edited by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED to the point of just plain modding it back into the game.

#78 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

YOU DEFEATED!

It's clearly the best of the two.

#79 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

You defeated is more good old Japanese

#80 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (690 posts) -

"You Defeated" is far superior to "Victory Achieved." The latter sounds so lifeless. I also have a hard time imagining anyone in a medieval setting ever using that phrase themselves; it seems more like a phrase you'd hear in some future militaristic setting.

DEFEATED ACHIEVED

I think this should be the next iteration of the victory tagline.

#81 Edited by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

YOUR THE BEST

#82 Edited by Brenderous (1079 posts) -

Both localization teams should feel ashamed!

#83 Edited by Catarrhal (813 posts) -

I prefer "VICTOLY!!" à la Samurai Shodown.

#84 Edited by Ezekiel (316 posts) -

Come to think of it, I don't like either. I don't need to be congratulated. I'm gonna see if I can disable the messages with a mod.

#85 Posted by HatKing (5564 posts) -

Never played Dark Souls, but judging from those two things out of context, Victory Achieved sounds like you accomplished something but You Defeated sounds like you just fucked someone or something up, so that one wins

I haven't spent much time in the series either. I saw your argument and was instantly won over. You Defeated wins.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.