Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Does anyone know if you have to start a new game for the DLC?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

Do you need to start a new game from scratch once you get the DLC or do all save files have access to the new content as long as they go get the pendent to hop in the portal? I was planning on starting a new game so that I can go into the DLC with a fresh non-overpowered character and I wanted to get started on it now so that I'm right were I need to be as soon as the DLC hits.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Terramagi

Unless you've murdered Dusk, you should be good to go.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By golguin

@Terramagi said:

Unless you've murdered Dusk, you should be good to go.

I know I have killed her before on other playthroughs, but I'm pretty sure my NG++ still has her alive. Actually, she has to be alive since I didn't kill the hydra.

EDIT: Do any of the covs have any influence on the DLC? I'm going to be a darkwraith and I don't know if the characters in the DLC are going to appreciated me being with the dudes that wrecked their shit.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

As long as Dusk is alive and you haven't killed Gwyn yet, you can probably do it at any time.

Covenants don't affect the DLC. There's only one thing that changes in the main game through the DLC:

If you haven't killed Sif yet, there's a new cutscene before his fight if you find a secret area in the DLC.
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By golguin
    @Morbid_Coffee

As long as Dusk is alive and you haven't killed Gwyn yet, you can probably do it at any time.

Covenants don't affect the DLC. There's only one thing that changes in the main game through the DLC:

So I need to do the dlc before becoming a darkwraith since that requires killing Sif.
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Deusx

Yeah, as long as you have Dusk alive you can play the DLC. That said, I would suggest starting fresh. I mean, why not? You're going to play new content, play it with some new build or a new strategy. That way you'll have more fun.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@golguin: You either become a Darkwraith before the DLC or don't become a Darkwraith at all and get a bonus cutscene instead. The item you need to access the DLC is in the Duke's Archives, which requires you to get rid of the gold fog gates with the lordvessel.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThunderSlash

Errr... I have a character I'm planning on going through the Artorias DLC with, but he kinda said "No" to Dusk when she asked him if he needed her magic. Does that destroy his chances of going to Oolacile?

Edit: Denying her magic made her disappear forever.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By beeftothetaco

Is the DLC even out for consoles yet?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By golguin

@Morbid_Coffee said:

@golguin: You either become a Darkwraith before the DLC or don't become a Darkwraith at all and get a bonus cutscene instead. The item you need to access the DLC is in the Duke's Archives, which requires you to get rid of the gold fog gates with the lordvessel.

It's just a bonus cutscene at the Sif fight and not actual content? So I can be a darkwraith, finish the DLC and experience all the content, and then watch the youtube video before I go fight Sif?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@golguin: Yes.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hungry

@ThunderSlash:

I think you should be fine. The same thing happened to me but the event to start the DLC still triggered when I came back with the requisite item.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThunderSlash

@beeftothetaco: Not yet, I believe it'll be out later this month.

@Hungry: Ah thanks. Well it's good to know that I'm not blocked out of the DLC stuff just because I didn't want her sorcery.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By plaintomato

@golguin said:

starting a new game so that I can go into the DLC with a fresh non-overpowered character

Grand idea...doing the same. The DLC is so deep into the game though, it'll be hard to recapture that feeling of finding your way through and building up to the challenge...just have to power through to that point at a low level I guess, to be safe.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Just for the record, the DLC content is balanced for Soul Levels 45-80 in regular new game. The closer you are to SL 80, the easier time you're probably going to have with the new bosses/enemies.

Unless you pumped all your stats into something stupid like resistance. Then you can be SL 80 and get your dick punched in!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By golguin

@plaintomato said:

@golguin said:

starting a new game so that I can go into the DLC with a fresh non-overpowered character

Grand idea...doing the same. The DLC is so deep into the game though, it'll be hard to recapture that feeling of finding your way through and building up to the challenge...just have to power through to that point at a low level I guess, to be safe.

I am currently at lv 37 and I just beat Anor Londo. I feel pretty good right now, but I'm kinda bummed that the invasions and available coop has considerably dropped because I'm at a low level for the current area.

I was surprised to see that I was feeling the Dark Souls magic at low levels because I was under equipped. I died several times in the Depths because I was trying to run through some areas and I underestimated how hard the hollow dudes could hit and I overestimated my dodge roll and stamina reserve. I was also killed by an invader (only one to succesfully kill me) in the bonfire room down in the depths and I actually got pretty annoyed by that. The guy had BB glitched his equipment and there was no escaping outside so I had to fight him inside that cramped little area with a phantom. The phantom went down in one hit and I was landing my backstabs, but I still had the pyro default gear so I was doing a miniscule amount of damage. The person was utter garbage at PVP, but I didn't have the stamina or weapon to fight back.

I now have havel's ring, flip ring, lightning uchi, high poise, and 30 endurance at level 37 so no invader is killing me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.