Does Dark Souls get harder after New Game Plus?

#1 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

So I was trying to find this else where, but I couldn't find anything on this. Does Dark Souls get harder after New Game Plus? I was checking out the Demon's Souls page and it's like this for it:

New Game+

LifecycleGame DifficultyCompared to NG
NGGame difficulty has no modifier.+ 0%
NG+Difficulty increased by approximate 40% compared to NG (Neutral CT assumed)+ 40%
NG++Difficulty increased by approximate 8% compared to NG+ (Neutral CT assumed)+ 51.2 %
NG+++Difficulty increased by approximate 8% compared to NG++ (Neutral CT assumed)+ 63.3 %
NG4+Difficulty increased by approximate 8% compared to NG+++ (Neutral CT assumed)+ 76.4 %
NG5+Difficulty increased by approximate 8% compared to NG4+ (Neutral CT assumed)+ 90.5 %
NG6+Difficulty increased by approximate 8% compared to NG5+ (Neutral CT assumed)+ 105.7 %
NG7+Difficulty increased by approximate 8% compared to NG6+ (Neutral CT assumed)+ 122.2 %

Note: From the 8th playthrough onwards, the difficulty will not increase.

I was wondering if this is how New Game Plus works for Dark Souls as well. Right now I'm on NG+ so I was curious if it does get harder after I finish it.

#2 Posted by j0lter (228 posts) -

I believe everything gets harder, yes. New game plus in of itself is technically 3x harder than the original due to all enemies health being 3x more as well as how hard they hit.

#3 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1107 posts) -
#4 Posted by Turambar (6742 posts) -

I'd say only parts of NG+ actually gets harder, as you have access to all the tools from NG that you did not start off with. Taurus demon, bell gargoyles, and capra demon are all much easier than the first time you ran into them just due to the fact that you are far stronger than a factor of 3.

#5 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

I actually had an easier time going through NG+. Maybe it's because I "got it" by then. I reached Anor Londo and took down Fatboy Slim rather fast.

#6 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -

Yes, I had a pretty decent NG+ run, too. I play a Dex-Build (high endurance) with an Uchigatana +15 and that destroys pretty much everything. But: I have the Four Kings left, every other boss is dead. And I keep running into a wall on this encounter, my DPS is not high enough to kill them. In NG I wore Havel's set, tanked through their attacks and shredded them, in NG+ it is another story. Does anyone have advice for these guys in NG+ as a Dex-character?

#7 Posted by golguin (3894 posts) -

The game was already made easier when the patch made enemies drop more souls and and the bosses dropped humanity. Then there was the changing of enemy placement. People who played after the patch have NO IDEA what it was like going through Lost Izalith and fighting all those dinos. I literally spent a few hours killing them all and fully exploring the area. Now you can simply run to the boss and never have to deal with any of them.

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@golguin: Is that a joke? I haven't played Lost Izalith in a few months, but I fucking hate that place. Did they really just make the dinos optional?

#9 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1242 posts) -

Yea the enemies do more damage and have more health compared to the first time through but you are stronger too so it is actually not really harder.

#10 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1997 posts) -

It's not really harder. In fact, NG+(and beyond) is far easier because you already know whats around the next corner, how the enemies fight, and the strategies you should use against the bosses. Dark souls isn't hard because the enemies have a lot of health, and the damage shouldn't be a factor because at the end of the day you shouldn't be getting hit. Personally, the only reason to go past NG+ is if you fucked something up in your file there. Otherwise, that character is locked into pvp status.

#11 Posted by golguin (3894 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@golguin: Is that a joke? I haven't played Lost Izalith in a few months, but I fucking hate that place. Did they really just make the dinos optional?

Sadly not a joke. Start watching video at 3:30 and see how their position was changed.

#12 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -
@golguin: I remember those things shortly after the game came out. They were a pain. They are the reason why I always go for the shortcut by being a Chaos Servant + 2, that way you don't need to deal with them at all.
#13 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@Roland_D11: Isn't the humanity cost for that way high?

@golguin: That makes me a bit sad, they just look kind of derpy now, might as well not even be there. They aren't worth fighting for souls anyhow.

#14 Posted by golguin (3894 posts) -

@Roland_D11 said:

@golguin: I remember those things shortly after the game came out. They were a pain. They are the reason why I always go for the shortcut by being a Chaos Servant + 2, that way you don't need to deal with them at all.

I had both options open because I was getting everything in the game. I got the sunlight maggot helm and then went through the long way to clear them out and explore the area. I did the first few that jump you in the very beginning myself, but then I summoned the same phantom several times to help kill the rest. There was a great sniper spot in one of the towers where you could aggro a big group and have them smack each other to death as they tried to reach you.

#15 Posted by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

I found everything on NG+ easier except for Ornstein and Smough(granted I wanted to kill Ornstein first this time)

@golguin: I played at release and never fought the dinos. Pretty sure you could always skip them. And I fully explored that area rather easily, all you have to do is run and a lot of them will kill each other. Also, any change that makes it so you don't have to fight them is good. They're broken and poorly designed.

@Roland_D11: I play a Wanderer(dex) and used pretty much that same strat on NG+. The timing is a little tighter, but I used Quelaag's furysword +5. Either that or I used a Falchion +15 (didn't have an uchigatana) with the lightning enchant consumable, I forget which. But I just wore all havels(as I was doing anyway), put my weapon in two hands, circle strafed and swung only stopping to heal. Kind of a big thing is that you have to get in there immediately. When the first one spawns you have to be up on him as fast as possible or you might fall behind and be dealing with 2 at once.

#16 Posted by golguin (3894 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

I found everything on NG+ easier except for Ornstein and Smough(granted I wanted to kill Ornstein first this time)

@golguin: I played at release and never fought the dinos. Pretty sure you could always skip them. And I fully explored that area rather easily, all you have to do is run and a lot of them will kill each other. Also, any change that makes it so you don't have to fight them is good. They're broken and poorly designed.

@Roland_D11: I play a Wanderer(dex) and used pretty much that same strat on NG+. The timing is a little tighter, but I used Quelaag's furysword +5. Either that or I used a Falchion +15 (didn't have an uchigatana) with the lightning enchant consumable, I forget which. But I just wore all havels(as I was doing anyway), put my weapon in two hands, circle strafed and swung only stopping to heal. Kind of a big thing is that you have to get in there immediately. When the first one spawns you have to be up on him as fast as possible or you might fall behind and be dealing with 2 at once.

You could not fight the dinos, but they would aggro the moment you got near the clearing and running through the area activated a large number of them. You can now simply walk at your leisure and not even aggro any of them.

#17 Posted by Stokes (191 posts) -

I tore through NG+ and NG++. I'm not sure if it's just because I knew everything so well by that point, but I just found it quite a bit easier.

#18 Edited by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -
@TobbRobb: No, the humanity cost for the Chaos Servants is not a big deal. You need 30 humanity, but since patch 1.05 and especially the adjustments in the PC version you always have lots of humanity. Just by playing normally I got over 50 humanity by the time I got to Lost Izalith. 

@YI_Orange: Thanks, I will try that. I have an Elite Knight armor set completely upgraded to +10, the defense stats are even better then Havel's.
#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@Roland_D11: They really did a lot to this game huh. I don't know if it's for better or for worse. But I guess making it accessible for more people now that all we crazy people are already done is a good thing.

More money for D-Souls the third!

#20 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

@golguin: omg really!? The dinos where SO ANNOYING. I would only kill a few and run past the rest hoping not to get squashed. I'm actually glad they made them optional lol.

#21 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -
@TobbRobb: Yes, they did. I think it made the game better, before patch 1.05 humanity was way to scarce. The new adjustments are pretty good from my point of view. Some key items needed to be nerfed and got nerfed (the Dark Wood Grain Ring for example). I am going for an S-rank in the PC version and I am pretty close (two weapons, like that damned channelers trident and one miracle is missing), I wouldn't have considered that in the 360 version.
#22 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@rebgav: I didn't really think about that, I played my first run in hollowed form as a challenge. I don't really like getting help unless I need it. I was only really human to kindle fires and PvP.

But I guess that makes sense, this should make PvP a bit more active at least.

#23 Posted by TeamJersey (340 posts) -

In a word: YES.

#24 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -
@YI_Orange: Thanks again for the four kings strategy. I finally managed to beat them. The key was the lightning powder, I haven't thought about that before.
#25 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

The jump from New Game to New Game + is a significant jump in difficulty. However, New Game + to New Game ++ and so on, it does get harder, but the jump in difficulty isn't as radical. 

#26 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@golguin said:

@TobbRobb said:

Sadly not a joke. Start watching video at 3:30 and see how their position was changed.

Well, I still haven't patched up at all since I didn't really like the things changed and had lost all respect for the community by then (though I did have a fun time watching people fail miserably and wound up about 70/30 in PvP); good to know there's not much reason to patch further.

#27 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I'm not sure about exact percentages, but yes, it keeps getting harder until NG+(7).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.