Does the sorc ever get weaker?

#1 Edited by Hayt (277 posts) -

I don't mean this to disparaging people who play magic classes, hell I'm having a lot of fun but so far I am staggered by how many bosses (up to Blighttown now) can be defeated with some light dodging and soul arrow spam.

Does this ever stop working or is the class just superduper powerful?

#2 Posted by Hayt (277 posts) -

It doesn't seem to be letting me edit, but I feel I should add this is NOT my first playthrough so I do have the advantage of foreknowledge but so far I've found basic enemies more of a threat than any of the bosses outside of twin gargs, which I had a little trouble with. The rest since have gone down first try by some rolls and heavy soul arrow, often without taking a hit. Are any of the late game bosses magic resistant or anything? So far only Gywn and Artorias seem like they would be threats because of how aggressive they are

#3 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1144 posts) -

I watched an LP of someone playing a mage and he pretty much never had any problems at all except for Manus.

#4 Posted by CoinMatze (471 posts) -

Gwyn goes down to two Homing Crystal Soul Masses no problem. Don't worry about aggressive bosses. As soon as you get the Homing spells, you can cast them from a safe spot and don't have to worry about casting times.

I haven't played in a while. I think Seath has the highest magic resistance. That was probably my hardest fight. Gargoyles on a fresh character is probably my runner-up. I was so fragile during that fight I wanted to shove my controller right through my PS3.

#5 Posted by golguin (3868 posts) -

I believe magic users have the easiest time with the game since they can attack at range and deal tremendous amounts of damage. The only time they are at a disadvantage is during PVP. It was essentially useless before the patches increased the casting time. The DLC added the dark magic so that actually made them viable for PVP, but they'll still go down to Roll back stabs.

#6 Posted by Savage (321 posts) -

Sorcerers are typically glass cannons. If you're an experienced player with plenty of advance knowledge, including how to dodge enemy attack patterns, where to find the strongest spells, etc, then you can largely mitigate the "glass" part while maxing out the "cannon" part, making you a monster of destruction.

#7 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Sorcs are pretty broken but if you play the game blind they're only say 10% more effective than your typical blind builds (that is to say you probably won't find half of the spells/trainers/boosting equipment). If you're not playing the game blind then who gives a shit what your build is.

#8 Edited by chainreaction01 (176 posts) -

Knowledge makes a Sorc a pretty powerful PvE class. First play through I didn't know where to get spells so I was rolling with the starter Soul Arrow until I found the guy locked in the room. That means, for a large part of the game, I either had to use my spells on normal guys and fight the boss with my shitty sword or get so good at the normal guys that I could save all my spells for the boss. However, once you know what you are doing all of a sudden that second plan is a whole lot less unreasonable. You also know where all the magic vendors are at and can get another stack of soul arrows from buddy in New Londo. You'll also know to get weapon enhancements to scale your weapon with Int as fast as possible. But again, first time through none of this was apparent as putting stats into "Hitting stuff with swords". That's a lot more self explanatory.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

@savage said:

Sorcerers are typically glass cannons. If you're an experienced player with plenty of advance knowledge, including how to dodge enemy attack patterns, where to find the strongest spells, etc, then you can largely mitigate the "glass" part while maxing out the "cannon" part, making you a monster of destruction.

Sorcs are pretty broken but if you play the game blind they're only say 10% more effective than your typical blind builds (that is to say you probably won't find half of the spells/trainers/boosting equipment). If you're not playing the game blind then who gives a shit what your build is.

These two things.

#10 Posted by OhBabes (6 posts) -

I struggled for 40 hours on my first playthrough as a sort of warrior thing, losing interest just before Sen's Fortress.

Then I did a bit of research for my second playthrough as a magic user/spear guy, and it has been a hell of a lot easier. Quelaag and Ornstein and Smough in particular have seemed far easier than I anticipated they'd be.

That said, I only just beat Seath the Scaleless last night. He was still tough even as a sorcerer, had to learn his behaviour from about 10-12 failed attempts before beating him. Also manually kept reloading a save from just outside his door, so that I wouldn't get cursed/have to run from the Duke's Archives down to his room for 5 or so minutes every time I wanted to try again. Manually reloading the save (going back to title screen and then manually overwriting the latest save file with the one from just outside the door) probably wasn't the hero's way out, but it did save me 4-5 hours of my life. Which I spent asleep.

#11 Posted by jaycrockett (441 posts) -

I'm playing a sorcerer and I haven't been able to beat any of the bosses with magic. Mainly because I suck in general, but specifically: a) the cast time for soul arrow is long and b) I keep losing my lock on.

My guess is it's that 'light dodging' you mentioned. If you can anticipate and avoid the enemy attack patterns, any boss is going to be easy.

#12 Posted by OhBabes (6 posts) -

Which Soul Arrow are you using? I've never used the vanilla Soul Arrow or Heavy Soul Arrow -> I went straight to Great Soul Arrow and Great Heavy Soul Arrow, and I found the latter painfully slow to fire but the former fires relatively quickly. I used the faster one for most of the early bosses.....I guess what was also important was that I summoned the friendly NPCs for those early bosses (Gargoyles, Quelaag, Iron Golem) - they basicially tanked the bosses while I backed off and fired from range.

#13 Edited by Buneroid (428 posts) -

I made a sorcerer as my 5th or 6th class and absolutely steamrolled through the game. I did know what I was doing though, so maybe on a first playthrough they wouldn't be as op.

#14 Posted by Random45 (1119 posts) -

I watched an LP of someone playing a mage and he pretty much never had any problems at all except for Manus.

Yep, pretty much this.

Once you get the Soul Spear, the game becomes easy mode. Every boss becomes a joke, even the ones people consider difficult.

#15 Posted by tourgen (4461 posts) -

Once I got decent stam and heavy armor I rolled every boss like a chump usually first try. I missed the jump onto the bed ramp once or twice I think.

Every other boss? Some light rolling and spam heavy attack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.