Durante from NeoGAF fixes resolution problems

• 59 results
#1 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

user on NeoGAF who goes by the name Durante managed to unlock the resolution potential on PC.

Here's the original thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488088&page=14

Rendered at 2048x1440 with no Anti-Aliasing

He's still working on some things, I will update the OP when the complete fix is released. This man deserves a paycheck from From Software, seeing how this will boost some sales for sure.

UPDATE!!

Here it is - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

LATEST VERSION OF THE FIX CAN ALWAYS BE FOUND HERE - http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

What is it?
It's an interception d3d9.dll that you place in the same folder as the game executable. It intercepts the game's calls to the DirectX 9 API and changes them as necessary to enable a higher internal rendering resolution.
How do I use it?
Place d3d9.dll and DSfix.ini into the game's binary directory. (The place where DARKSOULS.exe is)
You can open DSfix.ini with a text editor to adjust the desired internal resolution.
Will it work?
So far, this has only been tested on my computer, on the first half hour or so of the game. I can not and will not guarantee that it will work for anyone else, or not have any adverse effect on your game/computer. Use at your own risk! If you encounter any issues that seem like they could be caused by DSfix, let me know.
Will it cause performance problems?
That depends on your system configuration. Usually, performance scales rather linearly with framebuffer size, and so far this game does not seem different. My 660 maintained a locked 30 FPS throughout ~ 1/2 hour of testing in the starting area of the game at 2560x1440.
Can I donate?
If you really want to donate I won't say no, I'm not particularly rich :P.
Here's the link.

Also, a delicious new screenshot.

Also, a comparison screenshot.

Unmodded
1080p
#2 Posted by ripelivejam (4315 posts) -

boom

will probably get it now thanks

#3 Posted by Draugen (672 posts) -

I'll never understand how someone can just fix something like that, while the people who developed the bloody scratch their heads and go, "duh, I give up."

Computer voodoo.

#4 Posted by neverdeed (15 posts) -

if you think it was impossible for team of coders to render the game at those resolutions you are kidding yourself.

they locked it, its a design choice, youll find out why when you arent playing around in an offline cracked russian pirated version you got a day ago.

the whole thing about "23 minutes" is laughable, it probably took him 23 minutes to recompile the files

#5 Edited by ripelivejam (4315 posts) -

@Draugen said:

I'll never understand how someone can just fix something like that, while the people who developed the bloody scratch their heads and go, "duh, I give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VG53RIJ50

#6 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Thanks, Internet!

Do I still have to sign into GFWL to play?

#7 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

I can't concentrate on the resolution because I'm too busy laughing at how ridiculously big that HUD is.

#8 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1459 posts) -

If the developers fail at certain aspects, then you can always depend on the community to fix things up. Golden rule of PC gaming.

#9 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

don't worry, people will find something else to bitch about soon enough

#10 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

The framerate lock is justifiable as they coded the game using fixed timestep, which basically means the pace of the game and animations would increase in speed if you were to unlock the framerate. But this resolution fix shoudn't have been too hard to implement in the game for the devs.

#11 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Download link is coming soon.

#12 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (715 posts) -

I knew this would happen quickly, but I didn't think the hack would be done BEFORE the game has even been released!

Does the modified d3d9.dll play well with GFWL? I don't know how their anti-modification system works, but it seems like it would play nicely.

#13 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

You'd never realize something like a fix or a mod exists with the way people were complaining about this game.

#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Must......not.....buy......strange......game......just......because......high.....res.....

Fuck, I am NOT going to buy this. But it's great that the dude fixed it!

#15 Posted by Karkarov (3189 posts) -

Well we will find out how effective this "fix" is in a few hours. It does look like a upscale though, not like the graphics were actually generated at that resolution. Something is better than nothing though.

#16 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Must......not.....buy......strange......game......just......because......high.....res.....

You'd be missing out on one of the best (if not the best) game this generation

#17 Posted by Tennmuerti (8141 posts) -

Ah good old Dark Souls, still looking like ass even in higher res.

#18 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: dem character models

#19 Posted by ripelivejam (4315 posts) -

ceaseless discharge give me a boner :shifty:

#20 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

wow i'm looking at some screenshots in that neogaf thread... looks real nice now.

#21 Posted by Anathem (127 posts) -
#22 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

HOLLY FUCK! I wasn't planning to get this game because I already have it on PS3, but HOLLY FUCK, that looks so good I might just go ahead and get it.

#23 Edited by Karkarov (3189 posts) -

Yeah I can personally confirm the game looks noticeably better with this fix installed. You can actually make out the stitching and detail work on the armor, like did you know the thief set has a bird embroidered on the shoulder? I didn't until now. There are some noticeable inconsistencies though, like thin gray lines in some windows where the window is now seemingly slightly bigger than it used to be. Nothing huge that I have seen so far however.

#24 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

Good shit to him for creating this.

#25 Posted by Tesla (1932 posts) -

Always nice to see work like this from the community, but to my eye these screenshots don't look that much better than what I'm running on the PS3. Perhaps in a few months some neat mods will surface and the price will drop enough for me to justify a double dip.

#26 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

Sick screenshot of that Taurus Demon boss.

Thanks to that mod, you can actually set the internal resolution to whatever you want. My native monitor resolution is 1920x1200, so I set the resolution in the mod config file to 3840x2400 (the NeoGAF thread is calling that supersampling), and the game looks fucking GREAT now.

#27 Posted by Iron_Tool (222 posts) -

Welcome to PC gaming!! That is why I love it!!! No matter how 'broken' or even incomplete (SWTOR2) there will be modders out there that will fix/improve/complete PC games.

#28 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Amazing! I was hoping the community would step up and do some magic to fix this.

#29 Edited by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

@Tesla said:

Always nice to see work like this from the community, but to my eye these screenshots don't look that much better than what I'm running on the PS3. Perhaps in a few months some neat mods will surface and the price will drop enough for me to justify a double dip.

Yeah, there's still some bugs to iron out. For me, the anti-aliasing isn't working, but the motion blur is. Also, Some of the long-distance blurring effects look absolutely terrible right now. Regardless, though, rendering the game at double the resolution of my monitor makes the textures and character models looks razor sharp and extremely detailed...trust me when I say it looks way better than consoles can render it.

*EDIT* Here's a shot I took of my character with the game rendered with supersampling:

Check out the detail on the shield. Looks really, really good.

#30 Posted by JoeyRavn (4995 posts) -

@MURDERSMASH: Did you turn off the in-game AA? The fix seems to be incompatible with it. At least, Durante recommends turning it off.

Just a question for everyone else... Are you playing with a gamepad? My 360 wired gamepad is not recognized by the game in the menus. I haven't tried it in-game yet, but I assume that it doesn't work. I was sure this game supported gamepads out of the box.

#31 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@MURDERSMASH: Did you turn off the in-game AA? The fix seems to be incompatible with it. At least, Durante recommends turning it off.

Just a question for everyone else... Are you playing with a gamepad? My 360 wired gamepad is not recognized by the game in the menus. I haven't tried it in-game yet, but I assume that it doesn't work. I was sure this game supported gamepads out of the box.

Yeah, once I turned off the AA, the game displayed like normal. I was getting a black screen, with the UI showing up normally on top of that. It's funny though, once I set up the game resolution to render in supersampling, the game looks so sharp and detailed that I don't even need AA to smooth out the edges. It looks great even without it.

Also, yeah i'm playing with a 360 pad. You have to use the D-pad to navigate the menus, if you haven't tried that yet.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Draugen said:

Computer voodoo.

Er, the thread specifically states that all that needed to happen was a few variables concerning the resolution needed to be changed. They probably didn't want to test a bunch of hardware, so that's why it was the way it was, (probably).

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (4995 posts) -

Ah, I had to disable my G13 and now my gamepad works. The game looks great with Durante's fix. Text is not working right for the moment, but he said he'll try to fix it today. The FPS lock is not as bad as I imagined, and the framerate has been solid 30 for me.

Does anybody know how to lock onto enemies with a 360 gamepad? Without text, it's hard to know and I'm afraid to touch anything in this game :P

#34 Edited by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: With the PS3 you click in the right analog stick so I would assume it's the same for 360. For target lock that is. If the camera is a little wonky try turning off camera auto-recovery in the options menu.

#35 Posted by Draugen (672 posts) -

@Napalm: Computer. Voodoo.

#36 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@MURDERSMASH said:

Thanks to that mod, you can actually set the internal resolution to whatever you want. My native monitor resolution is 1920x1200, so I set the resolution in the mod config file to 3840x2400 (the NeoGAF thread is calling that supersampling), and the game looks fucking GREAT now.

Yup, sold. Getting this on PC now.

#37 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Here's a comparison gif from GAF.

The improvement is undeniable.

#38 Posted by TruthTellah (9323 posts) -

@MURDERSMASH said:

Woah. That looks like a PC game! o.o

#39 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
#40 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Hmm...my concerns about getting the PC version seem to have been alleviated. I'm pretty excited to pick this up at some point now.

#41 Posted by Finstern (643 posts) -

Here's a couple of pics running on a GTS 450 1gb

Gonna wait til 0.3 so I can turn anisotropic filtering down, I get 30 fps in corridors and 20 outside with it at 16 =/ But chuffed with the results so far!

#42 Posted by JoeyRavn (4995 posts) -

3840x2160 downsampled to 1920x1080, 8xCSAA and DSFix v0.2, constant 30 FPS. Fucking amazing.

#43 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I'm putting 1680 and 1050 in the ini file (thats my native res) but it's not working, tried both fullscreen and windowed mode. Just defaults to the game's shitty resolution. Am I missing something?

Edit: I got it. I'm using GameCompanion to force the resolution.

#44 Posted by Mcfart (1659 posts) -

Works fine @ 1080 here. Looks nice and runs at 30 constant on a 5970.

#45 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Oooh, a lovely thing to find during work. How far have people gotten in the game without this causing any problems? I stopped just before the Iron Golem in Sen's Fortress yesterday night; it'd be nice to know what locations there are that this has problems with, if any.

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Version 0.3 is up now.

• The AF override is now adjustable (no override, limited override to enable downsampling, full override)
  • You can press F9 to toggle the mouse cursor on/off, as some people requested.

The adjustable filter override should benefit those of us with older machines who want to play in native resolution.

#47 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@JackOhara said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

You'd be missing out on one of the best (if not the best) game this generation

It's alright game for a Japanese developer to make but come on best this generation, no fucking way.

#48 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

This piece of shit is unplayable with a mouse is it? Mouse acceleration coupled with really rough camera sweep, feels like the pad under my mouse is made of stones.

I forced V-sync through the Nvidia panel, got a bit smoother, but not really. Anyone enjoying it with a mouse?

#49 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior:

#50 Posted by Wrenchfarm (15 posts) -

This may be a stupid question, but is this fix messing with online play at all? I had a wild time summoning and being summoned last night, but since I've applied the fix to run at 1080, I haven't had one online escapade. I can see signs on the ground but get constant failures. Running around with the forest hunter ring never got me summoned nor has my white soapstone.

What do you think? Bad luck? Are other people reporting problems?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.