Fallen into a foul farming spiral.

#1 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

So I'm at the Darkroot Garden bonfire and keep farming the forest protectors for ~7k souls every few minutes. I've upgraded a good chunk of my equipment to +5 and my Winged Spear to +10.

I want to join the Forest covenant and at least buy some stuff off Shiva/kill his bodyguard for his ring, but I'm having a hard time walking away from all those fat, juicy souls. To make matters worse, I'm now farming the slimes in the Depths for Large Titanite Shards.

Truth is, I know I'm stagnating, but I keep finding compelling reasons to just live at that bonfire, always killing the mage/priest/thief/warrior over and over. Anybody else find this? I got the same way when you could use the helkite drake to farm the hollowed on the bridge over and over. After killing the drake, I kinda regretted losing that source of souls.

#2 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

There are greener pastures later. If you've upgraded your main weapons and armour you're just wasting your time - don't over-level or you might have problems summoning/being summoned later. Get one with the game, go do Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo, don't get stuck farming, especially not in Darkroot - what a snore. You can farm for souls and good drops in other locations later in the game.

I farmed the Silver Knights in Anor Londo at various times (while putting out my white summon sign to help people with Smoug/Ornstien) in the mid-game and the Darkwraiths in drained New Londo for souls and titanite chunks in the late game. Once you learn a good farming root though these areas and how not to get killed in New Londo you'll find that any time spent in Darkroot farming the four NPCs over and over again, after you've got your gear in order and a few levels, is time you could have better spent. At the end of the game there is an obvious and dope place to farm upgrade mats and Black Knight weapons, as well.

#3 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

Don't waste too much of your time farming for this measly amount of souls. You'll get souls when you progress in the game - a lot. There are also better farming spots later in the game. And you can earn a lot of souls doing coop or pvp and it's more fun than farming.

#4 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

What @CptBedlam said, get good at co-op and you can make serious souls (with no personal risk when you are the summoned!) and have a more entertaining play experience than just mindlessly farming in Darkroot.

I've been co-oping the game with my brother this week - I phantom him through an area and defeat the boss, then I summon him and do it again for my progress- and it is a joke how many souls you get through co-op post patch 1.5

I recommend farming the Silver Knights in Anor Londo with the Covetous Silver Dragon ring while putting down your sign to help other players though the area - take them through the optional item rooms, open the shortcut doors for them, and help them fight Fatboy/Slim - even if your host gets chumped by the lightning sumo-splash or Ornstien's grab move, its all profit for you - and if you beat the bosses together you get a handsome bonus purse of souls. And you're getting good practice in important skills - not just chasing 2000 soul NPCs off a cliff for hours ;)

#5 Posted by PrixDante (30 posts) -

Since you're in Darkroot, why don't you help people with sif? Andor Londo is a huge hot spot for co-op (and invasion). I'd suggest the painted room co-oping, you can net yourself 50k+ just by helping the host kill Jeremiah and Priscilla.

#6 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

@Stahlbrand said:

There are greener pastures later. If you've upgraded your main weapons and armour you're just wasting your time - don't over-level or you might have problems summoning/being summoned later. Get one with the game, go do Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo, don't get stuck farming, especially not in Darkroot - what a snore. You can farm for souls and good drops in other locations later in the game.

I farmed the Silver Knights in Anor Londo at various times (while putting out my white summon sign to help people with Smoug/Ornstien) in the mid-game and the Darkwraiths in drained New Londo for souls and titanite chunks in the late game. Once you learn a good farming root though these areas and how not to get killed in New Londo you'll find that any time spent in Darkroot farming the four NPCs over and over again, after you've got your gear in order and a few levels, is time you could have better spent. At the end of the game there is an obvious and dope place to farm upgrade mats and Black Knight weapons, as well.

Good to know. I kinda want a Black Knight shield, but was despairing that I could only get it off the non-respawning knights at the beginning of the game. I'm about SL 59 or so. I initially started farming because I was having so much trouble with the Valley of the Drakes. Mind, I haven't rung the bell in Blighttown yet.

@Stahlbrand said:

I recommend farming the Silver Knights in Anor Londo with the Covetous Silver Dragon ring while putting down your sign to help other players though the area - take them through the optional item rooms, open the shortcut doors for them, and help them fight Fatboy/Slim - even if your host gets chumped by the lightning sumo-splash or Ornstien's grab move, its all profit for you - and if you beat the bosses together you get a handsome bonus purse of souls. And you're getting good practice in important skills - not just chasing 2000 soul NPCs off a cliff for hours ;)

See, I'm pretty sure I'm a ways away from getting to Anor Londo, but I'll keep an eye out for the Silver Dragon Ring.

@PrixDante said:

Since you're in Darkroot, why don't you help people with sif? Andor Londo is a huge hot spot for co-op (and invasion). I'd suggest the painted room co-oping, you can net yourself 50k+ just by helping the host kill Jeremiah and Priscilla.

Interesting. I did some reading and apparently I can be summoned even if I'm not in human form. I actually haven't killed Sif yet, myself. There's actually no risk to being summoned as a co-op helper? Like, if I die, I won't lose any of my souls/humanity?

Thanks everyone for the much-needed nudge and tips. I joined the Forest Covenant. Doing the whole forest defender thing is kinda nuts, since I'm getting into it with players who are probably several orders of magnitude more powerful than I am. Especially since so many seem to be consciously farming the forest defenders by summoning a friend and waiting in that clearing outside Alvina's ruins.

Also, Shiva doesn't seem to be selling me anything. He just keeps looping the dialogue about how I haven't been called yet. I have - several times - I just died very quickly thereafter. Maybe I need to quit and reload.

#7 Edited by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

you don't need to go to valley of drakes except to grab a few items.

you only need to be human TO summon, not be summoned.

you can farm that spot as long as you like, but eventually, you'll grow out of it, and making 3 or 4 runs for one soul level gets tedious. the developers allow this for a reason.

shiva doesn't sell you anything until you meet him in the swamp. but even more useful: kill the ninja bodyguard standing behind shiva by kicking him off the cliff. then quickly quit the game before shiva owns your face off. reload, and pick up what is arguably the best item in the game where the ninja was standing.

#8 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

'm about SL 59 or so. I initially started farming because I was having so much trouble with the Valley of the Drakes. Mind, I haven't rung the bell in Blighttown yet.

Wow, you're way over-levelled for Blighttown, Sen's and Anor Londo. Continue playing the god damn game, stop farming. ;)

Seriously, because of your levelling spree, you might have problems finding coop partners for the next few bosses and you're a perfect target for invasions (you have no advanced gear due to your progress but you are high lvl ... which is the worst combination).

Btw, I just made 200k souls in 20 mins together with a random guy in the forest, we just waited for invading blue phantoms and hunted them. It's easy and fun. Don't ruin your gaming experience with unfun farming shit like the ledge trick.

#9 Posted by Oni (2099 posts) -

Somewhat related question, what's a good place for co-op at around level 60? Probably a bit too high for Anor Londo (already did that boss a few times at 52). I tried Four Kings but it doesn't seem like a hotspot, which is weird since it's one of the harder bosses.

#10 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@Oni: I found some action in 60-70 with Smough/Ornstein, as well as the Crystal Caverns. It pretty much falls off at this point - people start leveling weird, the Lost Izalith boss and area sucks for co-op, the Demon Ruins are too easy to really need a co-op partner...

Didn't get summoned at all in New Londo Ruins, but my Darkwraith-farming route broke my summon sign placement, so it was a hassle.

#11 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

'm about SL 59 or so. I initially started farming because I was having so much trouble with the Valley of the Drakes. Mind, I haven't rung the bell in Blighttown yet.

Wow, you're way over-levelled for Blighttown, Sen's and Anor Londo. Continue playing the god damn game, stop farming. ;)

Seriously, because of your levelling spree, you might have problems finding coop partners for the next few bosses and you're a perfect target for invasions (you have no advanced gear due to your progress but you are high lvl ... which is the worst combination).

Btw, I just made 200k souls in 20 mins together with a random guy in the forest, we just waited for invading blue phantoms and hunted them. It's easy and fun. Don't ruin your gaming experience with unfun farming shit like the ledge trick.

Haha, thanks for the tip. You're right: I blasted through Blighttown without any serious trouble (short of trying to hit those motherfucking mosquitos with a spear. I eventually gave up and rolled with a Washing Pole +4 for a while.) Now I just need to take out Quelaag. I spent most of yesterday invading as a forest hunter. I just want to get the ring of fog before I defect, kill the ninja for his flippy ring and then join the servants of chaos for a while. So far, zero kills. I've come close, and one out of every six worlds has just a singular person looking for a fair fight, so I've not lost hope entirely. There's an awful lot of jerks summoning friends and camping out, but in those instances, I just hope to do enough damage that the co-op partner has to book. And once, someone actually got invaded by a red spirit at the same time that I hopped in there. I still got shanked before the invader was able to really do any damage. Looks like they were hitting for like 28 dmg a swing, which seemed odd.

You're right, though, I've not even considered jolly co-operation as a viable thing to do. I posted about it elsewhere, but an invader tricked me into accidentally jacking sunbro. Not being aware of the possibility of forgiveness (such a foreign concept in Dark Souls anyways) I decided to lean into it and killed Solaire and looted his shit. Since then, I've kinda felt bad looking into co-op.

#12 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

you're 59 and still only in darkroot? Damn, i think was 70 when I completed my first playthrough. Level doesn't matter that much in Dark Souls, but still. The rest of the game will be less dark soul-y now, which kinda sucks. Being over-leveled in this game kinda ruins it.

#13 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

^Speaking of levels not mattering, my level 17 character was summoned to help a level 8 guy in the Depths. He was on his 10th playthrough. I realized something wasn't right when I attacked the first torch weilding hollow guy near the bonfire.

#14 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

@Kiro said:

you're 59 and still only in darkroot? Damn, i think was 70 when I completed my first playthrough. Level doesn't matter that much in Dark Souls, but still. The rest of the game will be less dark soul-y now, which kinda sucks. Being over-leveled in this game kinda ruins it.

Hahaha, I went into this game super paranoid. I'm still loving the ambiance, and I'm mostly through blighttown now and only SL 61. And to be fair, I did thrash about the skill tree some before settling on a preferred playstyle. Not so much that I think I'll be screwed later on down the line, but enough that I can use some sorcery if I want to. At any rate, I don't have the same godlike feel that usually happens when you're over-levelled in RPGs.

@AndyD74 said:

^Speaking of levels not mattering, my level 17 character was summoned to help a level 8 guy in the Depths. He was on his 10th playthrough. I realized something wasn't right when I attacked the first torch weilding hollow guy near the bonfire.

See, this is crazy to me. I can't fathom how someone played through the game (several times!) and still kept their levels so low. They have to have spent hours dodging around bosses and poking them for 20 dmg each shot. Or, yeah, I guess they probably just summoned a lot of help.

#15 Edited by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

We fought the Gaping Dragon around 6 times. He kept one shotting us with his tail whip. When we finally beat him, it took long time to whittle his health down. As a phantom, I was awarded around 48000 souls. Last night I helped a guy against the Gargoyles. He must have been on around NG +10 also. I was getting one-shotted by the undead soldiers, and I was awarded 25000 souls when we finally beat the Gargoyles. Again, that was with my level 17 character.

#16 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

@AndyD74 said:

See, this is crazy to me. I can't fathom how someone played through the game (several times!) and still kept their levels so low. They have to have spent hours dodging around bosses and poking them for 20 dmg each shot. Or, yeah, I guess they probably just summoned a lot of help.

It's all about gear and knowing boss patterns.

And NG+'s pretty much feel like a cakewalk with all that gear you have (except for the Four Kings, they become pretty rough).

Also, the difficulty scaling is capped at NG+6 or so (and the difficulty increase is lower for each new +).

#17 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

So I'm at the Darkroot Garden bonfire and keep farming the forest protectors for ~7k souls every few minutes. I've upgraded a good chunk of my equipment to +5 and my Winged Spear to +10.

I want to join the Forest covenant and at least buy some stuff off Shiva/kill his bodyguard for his ring, but I'm having a hard time walking away from all those fat, juicy souls. To make matters worse, I'm now farming the slimes in the Depths for Large Titanite Shards.

Truth is, I know I'm stagnating, but I keep finding compelling reasons to just live at that bonfire, always killing the mage/priest/thief/warrior over and over. Anybody else find this? I got the same way when you could use the helkite drake to farm the hollowed on the bridge over and over. After killing the drake, I kinda regretted losing that source of souls.

I am at that exact same spot and eventually I just stopped playing because I felt I had had enough of the game. I more than got my $60 worth out of the game and spent tons of hours being summoned to protect the forest.

#18 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

Co-op can be very luxurious late game, provided you get summoned to worlds where the host knows how to stay alive to some degree

#19 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

oh no! based on what Im reading here I guess I've already fallen to the mistake of reaching SL 140. I'm at NG+ and I'm still having a tough time especially with the 4 Kings boss alone. the enemies seems to do a ridiculous amount of damage to me and alot of red phantoms are around and respawn everytime. I have Ornstein's Armour and have darkhand as a shield. For my swords I use either a Lightning Iaito+5 , Chaos Blade+3 or a Silver Knight Sword+5. Any suggestions? oh does anyone know where I can farm the Demon Titanite?

#20 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@VanderSEXXX: Yeah, the Four Kings become arguably the hardest boss in NG+. You really need to kill them fast. I used the Crest shield against their magic AoE attacks. Run as close to them as possibly but don't stand in front of them because of their grapple.

#21 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

@CptBedlam: Actually I do the main problem I actually have is the fact that when I'm already close to killing them, suddenly so many of them gang rape me simultaneously being un-able to dodge both their AoE magic and long range slashes. X( BTW you know any place to farm the Demon Titanite? :D

#22 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@VanderSEXXX: Yeah, just keep on trying. You need a little bit of luck there.

Demon Titanite... hmm... the Titanite Demon on the Lost Izalith bridge is the only one that respawns, I believe. Don't know if he keeps dropping Demon Titanite though.

#23 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

I did my best farming in the Painted World. You can bank about 100,000 souls in an about an hour. Just remain undead and help others make their boss run. If you're lucky enough, they will have not yet killed the NPC invaded - which will get you tens of thousands of souls. Add a pretty easy boss battle, and you are well on you way to making bank.

#24 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

@EverydayOdyssey said:

I did my best farming in the Painted World. You can bank about 100,000 souls in an about an hour. Just remain undead and help others make their boss run. If you're lucky enough, they will have not yet killed the NPC invaded - which will get you tens of thousands of souls. Add a pretty easy boss battle, and you are well on you way to making bank.

Hmmm. Good to know. I've seen images of the armor set you get in the Painted World. It looks gloriously ridiculous. Looking forward to hitting that up.

At any rate, I've blasted through Blighttown. Just got the ring of fog from the forest covenant this morning. I'm thinking I'll probably take out Quelaag next, then get Shiva's bodyguard's ring/defect from the forest covenant. After initially getting frustrated with PvP as a forest defender, I've come to have a sort of masochistic affection for it (when I'm not getting backstabbed from the front.)

#25 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

That's funny. I thought I was the only guy that got back stabbed from the front - usually by an axe.

#26 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

Not only do I get backstabbed from the front, I get backstabbed while I'm rolling. Also, I can have my shield up, and the guy just moves around me and backstabs me like I'm one of the A.I. enemies.

#27 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@VanderSEXXX: Yeah, just keep on trying. You need a little bit of luck there.

Demon Titanite... hmm... the Titanite Demon on the Lost Izalith bridge is the only one that respawns, I believe. Don't know if he keeps dropping Demon Titanite though.

drops 2x. every time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.