Finishing Dark Souls (What to do before New Game Plus?)

#1 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

I made it. My soul level is 106. I have cool weapons and armor. The last area is open, but what should I do before I finish Dark Souls? My major misstep with Demons Souls was that I finished it without preparing for New Game Plus. Help me avoid making this mistake again.

PSN: ajlangino (if you love Dark Souls, add me as a friend!).

#2 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -

Do some upgrading, make sure you get the Slabs, and make sure you have a good Divine weapon for your New Game + run at the catacombs. That's all I can really think of.

#3 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Farm chunks from the black knights in the kiln of the first flame. You'll want to have enough to easily upgrade anything to slab status

The NG+ is way harder, as I'm guessing you know

Also...if you're a magic build, make sure you bought every spell from big hat logan in the duke's archives

#4 Posted by PrixDante (30 posts) -

Kindle all of the bonfires you hit up frequently (ie firelink, anor londo, daughter of chaos, etc), kill every NPC (you start on a clean slate on NG+ and guys drop humanity and items) max out your armor (some cannot be upgraded) and weapons. HELP OTHERS everyone needs some jolly co-op on andor londo and the four kings. Farm humanity: skeleton babies in tomb of the giants or rats in the depths. Farm chunks: titantie chunks farm new londo ruins darkwraiths, white chunks off of skeleton towers, blue chunks in sen fortress from crystal golems, red chunks I'd say kiln since its the second knight drops it 100% of the time.

For reference I have a

SL 136 NG++, SL 131 NG+, and SL 64 NG (she's more of my low level co-op helper holding 24 humanity and 800k souls)

#5 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

Finish upgrading everything you use, and if you are achievo-trophy hungry, get those "forge the best elemental weapon" prizes now - farm your upgrade mats and use your blacksmiths while they still have the embers you collected because they reset.

SL106 is pretty high, so you should roll into NG+ in good shape. I think most people beat the first playthough around SL65-SL75, so your stats should be pretty beefy.

For boss-soul weapons you don't want or cannot use with your stats - keep the souls, and make them in NG+ or NG++ - you get more souls per kill in NG+ and you will need to beat the game 2.5 times at least to S-rank it, so no sense buying/farming about 100 large titanite shards now, just buy that shit later when you have more soul-income than you can use. Also, just buy or find generic base weapons to ascend - don't use anything on the "Knight's Honour" list.

Again, if you're going for that platinum trophy/1000gs you are going to be thinking about farming hard to get weapons like the Titanite Catch Pole, the Channeler's Trident, black and silver knight weapons, and anything else you don't have yet - many of these areas/foes are way more leathal in NG+, so you will have an easier time farming them at the endgame of your first playthough than you will later.

DO NOT give away your sunbro medals if you have any - you'll want 10 of them at least and the soul of the end boss (twice) in order to get 'all miracles' and 'all weapons' achievements. Also, consider farming 'Sovieners of Reprisal' from the harpies in the Painted World if you are not a proficient invader (my no-magic melee knight was the pits at PVP so I had to farm them).

I've beaten the game, S-ranked it, and am still plaything it (this time, in duo co-op with my brother since we snagged another copy).

#6 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

craft weapons, get all the chunks you need from the black knights before the final boss.

#7 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

Get all of the Slabs (they are limited per playthrough), kill all of the firekeepers for their souls, kill all of the NPCs, upgrade as much as you can.

NG+ is not at all as hard as you might think it is, especially if you built a good character throughout your first play.

#8 Posted by OtherworldOdd (21 posts) -

Other than what's been said already; make sure you go kill Gwyndolin and buy his armor from Zena and get his soul. He's an optional boss so just to make sure you didn't miss him.

#9 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

Thanks! I am going to hold off beating the game for now -at least until the DLC comes out. I am fine tuning my pvp skills in the meantime.

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@EverydayOdyssey said:
Thanks! I am going to hold off beating the game for now -at least until the DLC comes out. I am fine tuning my pvp skills in the meantime.
Go fully upgrade all major fires. Also you can farm the area before the last boss for shards. If you need humanity farm the baby skellys before Nito (or use rats) 
#11 Posted by golguin (3927 posts) -

Reread over everything that people have posted and make sure to do those things.

Look at the achievement/trophy list and get/do everything you can in the first playthrough. That means killing all the optional bosses and then using their souls to make their special weapon (will take 3 playthroughs) and farming specific enemies until they give their rare weapon drop like the moss armor giants in the forest and the channeller enemies in the duke's archives. It goes without saying that you should buy every weapon and don't forget to buy all of Shiva's stuff by joining the forest guild.

Max important items like humanity from the baby skeletons and green herbs from merchant in sen's fortress. You can get double 99 items by depositing 99 in bottomless box and then holding 99 yourself.

Reread again what people have posted and make sure to max all those armors, chunks, etc.

#12 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@golguin said:

... It goes without saying that you should buy every weapon and don't forget to buy all of Shiva's stuff by joining the forest guild.

None of the weapons you need for the "Knight's Honour" achievement are sold by vendors, you don't need any of Shiva's wares to get the achievement. The weapons on the list are all i) dropped by enemies ii) ascended from boss souls or iii) found in specific places in the world (but not all weapons you can find are needed). So nothing you would need to buy, and nothing you would need to kill a friendly NPC for.

#13 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

Don't forget tail drops. Speaking of weapons and finishing up NG, I've got everything I can get on NG, except for the goddamn Channeler's Trident, and I made like 15 farming runs through the Duke's Archives with maxed out item discovery. Fuckers won't drop it.

#14 Posted by golguin (3927 posts) -

@Stahlbrand said:

@golguin said:

... It goes without saying that you should buy every weapon and don't forget to buy all of Shiva's stuff by joining the forest guild.

None of the weapons you need for the "Knight's Honour" achievement are sold by vendors, you don't need any of Shiva's wares to get the achievement. The weapons on the list are all i) dropped by enemies ii) ascended from boss souls or iii) found in specific places in the world (but not all weapons you can find are needed). So nothing you would need to buy, and nothing you would need to kill a friendly NPC for.

Not for achievement. Just to have them. NPC weapon drops (except patches if you don't buy the axe) aren't needed for anything, but they're still good to have like the uchi and washing pole.

#15 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@golguin: Fair enough, just trying to keep things clear in case the OP was going for the achievement.

#16 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@Oni said:

Don't forget tail drops. Speaking of weapons and finishing up NG, I've got everything I can get on NG, except for the goddamn Channeler's Trident, and I made like 15 farming runs through the Duke's Archives with maxed out item discovery. Fuckers won't drop it.

I don't know if it is true or just voodoo, but it worked for me when I was farming Channelers - try to run past the little crystal hollow guys on your way to the channelers, coming up from the bonfire in the archives prison area - they love to drop their stupid crystal swords and plain shields - the theory I read was that DS only gives you so many 'drops' in a period of time between bonfires, so if those 4 or 5 other guys you kill on your way to the Channelers drop some loot, it reduces the likelihood of the trident dropping. So focus on dodging the creeps and killing the Channelers first, and you might have better luck.

I was farming Channelers for like 3 hours with no luck before I read that tip - I tried it that way for 20 minutes and it dropped. It might be coincidence, it might be true, I can't say for sure, but it worked for me.

#17 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

@Stahlbrand: Thanks for the pro tip, I'll try that when I get back to the Duke's Archives, which may take a while because I just jumped into NG+. Got invaded twice in Undeadburg at level 80, wiped the floor with both of them. Feels good man. Things I've learned: Fire Surge is the shit.

#18 Edited by BlackPhantom (1 posts) -

I saw this post quite late. I finished my game just yesterday and I missed some important bits like killing all NPC's, optional boss before the painted world and kindling some other bonfires using upto the max (managed to kindle only the fire link one to the max 20) and did not explored the great hollow (never realised that there is another door behind another one, you know which one I'm referring!!!). It happened with Demon's souls too, where I didn't made use of the two lord souls (Demon Brandt and Soul Brandt) to make some weapon. Bummer, the guilt is unexplainable, it is gut wrenching to see that after spending soo many hours & days in finishing the game, then, realising that I should have done some pretty easy killings for a nice loot or upgrades. Having said that, I did enjoyed my spoiler free (most of the game) first play-through!!!!! I got my collectors edition for Dark Souls and did not go through the art book just to experience the first-hand look of the monsters and bosses while playing. Anyway, I'm on NG+...and no problems so far killing bosses without breaking a sweat (Taurus Demon, Bell tower gargoyles, Grey Wolf sith, Hydra in Dark Root basin, Moonlight butterfly, Stray demon (the one under the crumbling roof) in northern asylum...all are done in just a day!!) I dread to fight with Smough & Ornstein though!!! I'm playing NG+ primarily to get a complete understanding of how the areas are all connected. This is such an awesome game. I'm really proud to finish Demon's souls game as well. However, in NG+ got killed repeatedly by the Armored Spider and so I gave up!! For both these games there are many days when I'm in office and searching online for possible upgrades to weapons, stone farming, talking strategies to kill bosses..etc.

PS: Finished my NG at soul level 94 and my weapons are reasonably good at the moment (Have one Divine weapon +9, Silver knight sword +5, Chaos weapon whip (fully upgraded), Queelag's fury sword, Magic Zweisingher (or something similar name) +5, Great shield of Artoras). My silver knight sword and queelag's fury sword deal with almost all situations in NG+ so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.