First time PC player, ? about mods

#1 Posted by Sterling (1719 posts) -

I've played this game hundreds of hours on both PS3 and 360. And while watching Scoops play, I got the itch again. And so I bought the PC version on steam. I remember hearing about when this version first came out that it was broken and it needed some fixes. Is this true? Do I need to install the DSfix and others? Are they just graphical? I am still downloading now. So thought I would ask you duders whats what with the PC version. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1210 posts) -

DSfix was all i needed, it just fixed some fps and resolution issues. I think it also made the keyboard and mouse viable to use.

#3 Posted by Random45 (804 posts) -

DSfix is a fantastic mod, and I highly recommend it if you're playing on the PC. I also got a mod that made most ladders in the game bright red because I'm a filthy person.

#4 Posted by Blommer4 (174 posts) -

As stated above - get DSfix. DSfix is mandatory, every other mod is optional (No, I'm not over exaggerating at all!) (AT ALL!!!!)

#5 Edited by crithon (2574 posts) -

for the love of got give the man a link.

But also when in doubt just type in on youtube, there's dozens of videos people explaining step by step what to do on their own computers. The biggest change about Dsfix is the whole netcode since GFW helps slows things down and there's lot of another player to join waiting which is a pain.

By the way while your at it try streaming on twitch. Always good to have people cheering you on, but your probably going to have to pay for something like xsplit or just be clever and find "alternative sources." ;)

#6 Posted by Sterling (1719 posts) -

Oh man. What a night. Spent 30-40 minutes trying to get the game to even load. Turns out you can not have a 360 controller plugged in while the game boots. Then had 30 or so more minutes of issues with GFWL. By the way, I thought that crap fest was dead. Then get that all worked out. Get DSfix installed. Turns out my laptops video card is not powerful enough to run the game. Booo. I'll have to try again tomorrow night on my PC. Was hoping to have a nice relaxing night in the living room on the TV. Oh well. I'll get it up and running on my PC tomorrow. And get the TV hooked up to the PC on Wed. Then I can rock and roll on the game Wed night.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (6350 posts) -

@sterling:

@crithon said:

but your probably going to have to pay for something like xsplit or just be clever and find "alternative sources." ;)

Or you could give the free (and superior) piece of streaming/recording software known as OBS a go!

#8 Edited by crithon (2574 posts) -

@sterling:

@crithon said:

but your probably going to have to pay for something like xsplit or just be clever and find "alternative sources." ;)

Or you could give the free (and superior) piece of streaming/recording software known as OBS a go!

Oh my, I will want to just sample this for a bit.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

@crithon said:

By the way while your at it try streaming on twitch. Always good to have people cheering you on, but your probably going to have to pay for something like xsplit or just be clever and find "alternative sources." ;)

Why pay for xsplit when OBS is both free and better?

@sterling said:

Turns out you can not have a 360 controller plugged in while the game boots.

Oh wow, is that why the game wouldn't load for me last time I tried? I played it for three weeks without issue, then suddenly when I tried to get on in case Patrick wanted a sunbro to help him out the game insisted on hanging out on a black screen for about 5-10 minutes before the main menu.

#10 Posted by WaspHUN (6 posts) -

If you looking for mods, you should check out the Nexus site: Dark Souls Nexus

#11 Edited by Capum15 (4570 posts) -
@wasphun said:

If you looking for mods, you should check out the Nexus site: Dark Souls Nexus

That's a good place to look. I think I grabbed that HD texture pack and the Flora overhaul one, as well as the old splash words (e.g. YOU DEFEATED). Nice looking game.

#12 Posted by TobbRobb (4402 posts) -

I've never heard of the game hanging because of a gamepad. Weird.

#13 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

I've never heard of the game hanging because of a gamepad. Weird.

This. Considering I have a 360 controller plugged into my PC at all times, and Dark Souls has never failed to boot.

On topic. All you need is DSfix. The rest are optional and usually graphical. There are a few mods which change the gameplay but I wouldn't recommend them.

#14 Posted by groin (822 posts) -

@sterling said:

Turns out you can not have a 360 controller plugged in while the game boots.

That is not true at all. I've done this on both Windows 7 and 8 without any issues.

#15 Edited by Sterling (1719 posts) -

@groin said:

@sterling said:

Turns out you can not have a 360 controller plugged in while the game boots.

That is not true at all. I've done this on both Windows 7 and 8 without any issues.

Well then you are one of the lucky few who doesn't have the issue then, good for you. Because this is a super common problem. Try googling it. Saying its not true at all is just silly.

#16 Edited by groin (822 posts) -

@sterling said:

@groin said:

@sterling said:

Turns out you can not have a 360 controller plugged in while the game boots.

That is not true at all. I've done this on both Windows 7 and 8 without any issues.

Well then you are one of the lucky few who doesn't have the issue then, good for you. Because this is a super common problem. Try googling it. Saying its not true at all is just silly.

Tell me the exact phrase to type into google.

#17 Posted by Sterling (1719 posts) -

Your a big boy, you can figure it out on your own I'm sure.

#18 Posted by groin (822 posts) -

@sterling said:

Your a big boy, you can figure it out on your own I'm sure.

You're*

#19 Posted by JJWeatherman (14483 posts) -

@random45 said:

... I also got a mod that made most ladders in the game bright red because I'm a filthy person.

What? Why?

#20 Posted by Sterling (1719 posts) -

@groin said:

@sterling said:

Your a big boy, you can figure it out on your own I'm sure.

You're*

oh snap!

#21 Posted by Random45 (804 posts) -

@random45 said:

... I also got a mod that made most ladders in the game bright red because I'm a filthy person.

What? Why?

Because in dark zones (Like Blightown for instance) the ladders are REALLY difficult to see, so instead of turning my gamma or brightness up, I just use that mod instead.

#22 Edited by Sterling (1719 posts) -

So this is odd.

Laptop, Windows 7. Game wont start with 360 controller plugged in. Get frozen window of death. Loads up and works just fine if not plugged in, and controller works after game menu loads if plugged in then.

PC, Windows Vista. Game starts with it plugged in (and without). But wont accept the controller if plugged in after the game starts.It has to be plugged in before it starts.

This is one thing I dis like about PC games. Too many different things can cause too many different issues.

And I will throw an apology out to @groin. Upon further looking at the stuff I was looking at on the steam/dark souls support forums. All those with the issue seem to be either running a laptop or windows7/8. So it appears to be a random issue. So, YOUR welcome duder. (yes I know that is incorrect grammar)

#23 Posted by groin (822 posts) -

@sterling said:

So this is odd.

Laptop, Windows 7. Game wont start with 360 controller plugged in. Get frozen window of death. Loads up and works just fine if not plugged in, and controller works after game menu loads if plugged in then.

PC, Windows Vista. Game starts with it plugged in (and without). But wont accept the controller if plugged in after the game starts.It has to be plugged in before it starts.

This is one thing I dis like about PC games. Too many different things can cause too many different issues.

And I will throw an apology out to @groin. Upon further looking at the stuff I was looking at on the steam/dark souls support forums. All those with the issue seem to be either running a laptop or windows7/8. So it appears to be a random issue. So, YOUR welcome duder. (yes I know that is incorrect grammar)

Hello Doctor Sterling, it's cool man. Apology accepted. Let's hug it out.

#24 Posted by LastThingYouSee (14 posts) -

@sterling: yeah, I was lucky enough to not run into the controller problem on mine, Win7 Pro, but I don't even want to know what causes it for fear that it might rear it's head, glad your at least up and running, but there HAS to be a fix for that 360 pad problem.

GFWL blows. Good riddance.

#25 Edited by LastThingYouSee (14 posts) -

@sterling: Hey so I think I found your fix, if you haven't already. It appears to be a problem with the power over USB funtion on mobile computers, if appears if you turn the rumble off, the game will not freeze.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2937366

and I had this happen to me, if your button mapping becomes effed up:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/846940249219174228/

#26 Edited by Sterling (1719 posts) -

@lastthingyousee: Cool, thanks. I gave up on using the Laptop though. The video card is not quite powerful enough to run the game without studdering. I get a framerate of like 10.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.