Forest Covenant people

#1 Edited by kerse (2098 posts) -

What is with other blue phantoms not helping and then bowing and then fighting alone and then get murdered by themselves, why don't blue phantoms just work together...

#2 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5153 posts) -

Because no SL limit means there must be chivalry before the slaughter!

#3 Posted by kerse (2098 posts) -

lol holy shit I just got 250k souls, I'm like level 50

I'm rich as shit now

#4 Edited by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

The forest has pretty much degenerated into a chaotic pvp arena, some people follow a strict code of honor, others roll through with friends and well rehearsed strategies and just kill everything moving while others run around with no sense of what they're doing at all. I fell into the 3rd category for a while then once I became familiar with things I did whatever I needed to survive and gather a F*ton of souls then moved on. You can do quite a bit of leveling up and learning the ropes there and I think you can pretty much leave that area feeling like you're ready for anything. You will of course be proven wrong but, getting past the doe-eyed newbie stage is an important step in the Dark Souls process.

#5 Edited by kerse (2098 posts) -

@MrXakaRebel: Yeah its pretty interesting, I like the concept of just murdering anyone who enters the forest. I'm still getting invaded by blue phantoms when I enter the forest area though. I thought I couldn't get invaded by blue phantoms as a part of the forest covenant?

#6 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

@kerse: Hmmm are you being summoned to protect the forest or just passing through? Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally attack a covenant member or a mushroom person? That makes the covenant turn on you. I could be wrong but I think Darkmoon covenant members show up as blue too. I'm no expert or anything, I just know a bit, I'm still on my first playthrough...

#7 Posted by kerse (2098 posts) -

I was just passing through, I guess it could have been a darkmoon covenant guy it did announce them invading. Forest covenant doesn't announce right?

#8 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

If you're still in the covenant then no it shouldn't announce a fellow member invading. As long as everything is in order with your covenant then yea it probably was darkmoon, I think? lol Here's a list of criteria you have to meet to be invaded by darkmoon, these aren't my words it's from a wiki...

• To be eligible to be invaded by a Darkmoon, you must have Sin. Sin is typically acquired by:
    • Attacking/Killing NPCs (there are a few exceptions to this);
    • Betraying a Covenant (there are also some exceptions to this); or
    • Being indicted by a player that you invade and successfully kill.
  • Sin that results from being indicted is NOT removed by Requesting Absolution from Oswald. As discussed above, this Sin also exposes the sinner to higher and higher level Dark Moon Blade invasions as it accumulates.
  • Unconfirmed: I have a character with no sin (according to Oswald) and I was recently invaded by a Darkmoon spirit of vengeance while in Sen's Fortress. My account has 0 sin (I've never successfully invaded, and the book of the guilty lists me at 0 sin) I did abandon the forest hunter covenant improperly with this character, however, I requested absolution from Oswald since then. I suspect that abandoning a covenant improperly flags you for Darkmoon and that absolution from Oswald does not clear this. Can anyone else confirm 0 sin invasions? (PC: PTD edition)
#9 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

@MrXakaRebel said:

If you're still in the covenant then no it shouldn't announce a fellow member invading. As long as everything is in order with your covenant then yea it probably was darkmoon, I think? lol Here's a list of criteria you have to meet to be invaded by darkmoon, these aren't my words it's from a wiki...

• To be eligible to be invaded by a Darkmoon, you must have Sin. Sin is typically acquired by:
  • Sin that results from being indicted is NOT removed by Requesting Absolution from Oswald. As discussed above, this Sin also exposes the sinner to higher and higher level Dark Moon Blade invasions as it accumulates.
  • Unconfirmed: I have a character with no sin (according to Oswald) and I was recently invaded by a Darkmoon spirit of vengeance while in Sen's Fortress. My account has 0 sin (I've never successfully invaded, and the book of the guilty lists me at 0 sin) I did abandon the forest hunter covenant improperly with this character, however, I requested absolution from Oswald since then. I suspect that abandoning a covenant improperly flags you for Darkmoon and that absolution from Oswald does not clear this. Can anyone else confirm 0 sin invasions? (PC: PTD edition)

If you abandon a covenant without first talking to Oswald you will be marked as a sinner. I don't know if Oswald can clear that since Indictments are what's shown in the Book of the Guilty. I also have never abandoned a covenant incorrectly so I don't know how the game treats that sin.

#10 Edited by kerse (2098 posts) -

@MrXakaRebel said:

Ah well its probably because one of the forest covenant npcs bugged out and killed themselves and I had to absolve my sins once. So far the only things I've learned from the pvp is that sorceries are almost useless 1v1 which is what I am mainly doing and that people can get backstabs on you incredibly easy, 90% of the time they aren't even behind me all the way, wonder if its a latency thing. Maybe I'll get into pvp on my next character if I make one, unless pyromancies scale off int because I put alot of points into that. Do you know if they do? I've had people wreck me with some incredibly cheap up close pyro spell that seemed unfair.

#11 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

@golguin: Yea, I know I just got that info from a wiki, I assume you were responding to that unresolved part.

@kerse: The only time your pyromancy scales with int is when you use the pyromancy flame for a physical fist attack. The damage the actual pyromancy spells do depends on the attack itself and the level of your pyromancy flame. It can definitely be useful whether you're a low or high level character finding Laurentius or Quelana will give you more pyromancy spells and allow you to ascend your flame, not sure if you've come across them yet. Also another thing about the forest is that basically anybody of any level can end up attacking you in there so that may be why you got wiped out so easily, like I said it's pretty chaotic there and can be a real trial by fire (sometimes quite literally) but the rewards are worth it. Also I wouldn't really write off the sorceries as useless, but if your character isn't specifically built to take advantage of them then yea maybe you should focus on some of your more relevant stats. The power of your sorceries depend heavily on your int level and what type of catalyst you use. Making sure you really think about leveling is another major part of the game. You want to try and focus on a couple of stats that fit your play style to maximize your character's effectiveness.

#12 Edited by kerse (2098 posts) -

@MrXakaRebel said:

@golguin: Yea, I know I just got that info from a wiki, I assume you were responding to that unresolved part.

@kerse: The only time your pyromancy scales with int is when you use the pyromancy flame for a physical fist attack. The damage the actual pyromancy spells do depends on the attack itself and the level of your pyromancy flame. It can definitely be useful whether you're a low or high level character finding Laurentius or Quelana will give you more pyromancy spells and allow you to ascend your flame, not sure if you've come across them yet. Also another thing about the forest is that basically anybody of any level can end up attacking you in there so that may be why you got wiped out so easily, like I said it's pretty chaotic there and can be a real trial by fire (sometimes quite literally) but the rewards are worth it. Also I wouldn't really write off the sorceries as useless, but if your character isn't specifically built to take advantage of them then yea maybe you should focus on some of your more relevant stats. The power of your sorceries depend heavily on your int level and what type of catalyst you use. Making sure you really think about leveling is another major part of the game. You want to try and focus on a couple of stats that fit your play style to maximize your character's effectiveness.

Oh it doesn't do the 10% of level thing there? I guess that would explain how I got 250k souls randomly one time. Yeah I've got a +4 enchanted weapon, because I figured I could still be a melee fighter if I needed to since it scales so well off int, I've got my vitality at about 20 and endurance at 32, and int at 35 I think? I don't think I'll level end anymore because I can fast roll with light armor and the spear and a decent shield now, should I get more vit do you think? I should also say I've only gotten the soul/great arrows and heavy/great soul arrow spells, I know there's better ones out there so thats probably why I'm not doing too well. They are amazing when there are 2 of us and I can just pop off shots, but its tough one on one because they are easily rolled from.

#13 Posted by MrXakaRebel (58 posts) -

I'm at like level 104 and I just recently leveled my vitality to 25 I mainly focus on dexterity, endurance and strength, so I'm mainly staying out of the way of attacks. I also pay close attention to what kind of armor I find so I can mix and match for the best results, I make sure I keep my favorite/most useful equipment leveled up and If I'm in an area that calls for it I switch armor accordingly, for example, once you get to the swamps of blighttown you want some poison resistance to guard against the enemies with poison attacks and the poison swamp itself. I know that doesn't directly answer your question but so much of the game really depends on how you want to play it, you just gotta look at how your leveling will effect your stats, sometimes there will be benefits that aren't necessarily obvious so keep an eye on your numbers as you proceed, try out new weapons and pieces of armor to see if they are more suitable for your particular way of playing. I was surprised even after 20 or 30 hours of playing to see how changing to a different weapon can completely change your moveset, you may find something that makes your current way of playing completely obsolete, you really just gotta try it out for yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.