Frame Rate on PC

#1 Posted by Monopolized (454 posts) -

I know that Dark Souls had it's problems on Xbox360 and PS3 where in certain areas the game would slow down, during boss fights, in New Londo Ruins, and sometimes the Catacombs, but right now playing this game I am getting about 25 FPS in Undead Burg as well as Firelink Shrine, Anyone else who has purchased this game having this issue?

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 645 Processor 31.GHz

RAM: 8GBs

Video Card: Radeon 6870 (1gb)

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Monopolized said:

I know that Dark Souls had it's problems on Xbox360 and PS3 where in certain areas the game would slow down, during boss fights, in New Londo Ruins, and sometimes the Catacombs, but right now playing this game I am getting about 25 FPS in Undead Burg as well as Firelink Shrine, Anyone else who has purchased this game having this issue?

The game is capped at 30 FPS.
#3 Posted by Huey2k2 (486 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Monopolized said:

This is exactly why I will not be buying the PC version.

I get the From aren't PC developers, but this is silly.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Huey2k2 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Monopolized said:

Not their fault. They gave people a PC port. They said up front their where not PC people and they said up front it would be locked. 
#5 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

i've had no problems... it's running as smooth as 30fps can run for me.

#6 Posted by Huey2k2 (486 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Huey2k2 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Monopolized said:

Not their fault. They gave people a PC port. They said up front their where not PC people and they said up front it would be locked.

OK, I respect the fact that they came out and said that it was going to be this way... but how does that make it not their fault?

They developed the game, they made the port. It is entirely their fault. Whether or not you care that they did it this way is a whole different question.

#7 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -
#8 Posted by Monopolized (454 posts) -

yeah the game can look better.. and ok if the game is running at 30fps I might be getting 10-13fps.. and I don't understand how increasing the resolution is going to make the FPS any better.

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Monopolized said:

yeah the game can look better.. and ok if the game is running at 30fps I might be getting 10-13fps.. and I don't understand how increasing the resolution is going to make the FPS any better.

It wont make the FPS better. 
#10 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

@Monopolized said:

if you want to know for sure, just run fraps to check on your framerate to see if it's actually dipping lower than 30.

#11 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Monopolized said:

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@NTM said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Monopolized said:

I also want to add. In a game this punishing you should not be so worried about graphics over FPS. O yay my game looks nice...O no I just like 500k souls. 
#13 Edited by envane (1159 posts) -

its running way better in blighttown than it was on ps3 .. ppl need to stfu .. pc port is FINE .. support it and mabye they will develop a pc version from the ground up next time

#14 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

31 GHZ huh?

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance: That was amazing.

#16 Edited by Monopolized (454 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance: actually 100GHz.. a typo sue me..and that video is actually the most amazing thing I have ever seen. just made my way past the gargoyles now.. and it seems to be getting better.

#17 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

the fps is pretty great overall .. i dont notice any problem with the 30 fps lock .

Theres still a few spots if you put your view in a certain direction you will see a drop in fps , i.e from one end of blight town to another , or in darkroot basin approaching the hydra i noticed the same old crud

the ironic thing is now with the resolution fix it seems theres a few more areas that dip due to the upscaling. at the same area near the hydra , those crystal golems look damn amazing up-scaled but i can tell its the sheer amount of textures on them thats adding to the fps lag , as well as that dang hydra

i haven't been back to blight town with the resolution fix but i suspect its laggier .. i suspect the issue with sif in certain positions causing fps drops will still happen and probably be harsher with the hd fix

#18 Posted by MonetaryDread (1991 posts) -

@Monopolized said:

Are you using the fan-patch to allow higher than 720p resolutions? According to the developer the patch doesn't work with ATI cards, just NVIDIA. If you are getting 25 fps then you are doing better than most ATI users. Just disable the fan-patch and your frame rate will jump back up.

#19 Posted by Mcfart (1548 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Monopolized said:

Are you using the fan-patch to allow higher than 720p resolutions? According to the developer the patch doesn't work with ATI cards, just NVIDIA. If you are getting 25 fps then you are doing better than most ATI users. Just disable the fan-patch and your frame rate will jump back up.

wait what? I thought it looked good with the patch on my 5970....was I just looking at the default res?

#20 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

The reason it is locked at 30 is because the speed of the gameplay is directly tied to the frame rate. When the guy made the resolution fix, he had said that he tampered with the FPS lock as well, and when he tested it, the gameplay was running in super speed as the frame rate increased. People saying it's "silly" for the game to be locked simply are missing the bigger picture. They would have to rewrite a lot more than people are giving them credit for.

#21 Edited by emem (1961 posts) -

I kinda envy people who don't seem to have a problem with the game running at 30 FPS.  

Actually I'm not sure if it's maybe just a problem with my monitor... I do get an extreme blurryness (looks like banding) and I've had that same issue with Xenoblade Chronicles as well. Whenever I move everything gets so blurry that I can basically no longer look at things without them getting that insane motion blur, which actually hurts my eyes almost immediately.

Is that just the way it looks for everyone, could it be my monitor or is it just me?

#22 Posted by John1912 (1827 posts) -

@Huey2k2: Game is designed around the lower frame rate. It looks and plays just fine. Your a complete tool if you dont play games because of a lower framerate.

#23 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

I don't think I've seen my game drop below 30fps yet, so I don't know of any of these problems.

#24 Edited by MonetaryDread (1991 posts) -

@emem said:

I kinda envy people who don't seem to have a problem with the game running at 30 FPS.

Actually I'm not sure if it's maybe just a problem with my monitor... I do get an extreme blurryness (looks like banding) and I've had that same issue with Xenoblade Chronicles as well. Whenever I move everything gets so blurry that I can basically no longer look at things without them getting that insane motion blur, which actually hurts my eyes almost immediately. Is that just the way it looks for everyone, could it be my monitor or is it just me?

Update the fan-patch. The patch worked at making the game run at resolutions higher than 720p, but the depth of field filter wasn't able to be updated in time for the games release (the depth of field effects were still running at 720p). The mod's author Durante just updated the mod today to fix this depth of field problem.

#25 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Your problems with the blurriness have absolutely nothing to do with the framerate being capped at 30. And if you don't like the motion blur, turn it off in the options. But really it's probably a matter of you using the wrong fix like MonetaryDread mentioned.

Also make sure your chosen resolution uses 32 bit color in the settings, and not 16 bit.

#26 Posted by martez87 (67 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@Monopolized said:

I have a Radeon 6950 and the mod works perfectly well for me at 2560x1440, frame rate is a solid 30FPS 99% of the time.

I read on the Neogaf thread that using the mod actually fixed a lot of people's frame rate issues, so give it a go if you haven't.

#27 Posted by Karkarov (2980 posts) -

They actually have a technical reason for the 30 fps lock that has to do alot with how character movement and animations are handled. All that BS aside the game looks fine at 30 fps and even with the resolution fix running I have never seen it drop one frame lower than 30. Anyone who claims they wanted it on pc and wouldn't buy on console and still wont buy even with the resolution fix is basically just being dumb. If you don't really want to play the game be honest about it instead of saying it is because you can't get 60 fps. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to play Dark Souls be it on pc or otherwise.

#28 Edited by emem (1961 posts) -
@MonetaryDread said:

@emem said:

Actually I'm not sure if it's maybe just a problem with my monitor... I do get an extreme blurryness (looks like banding) and I've had that same issue with Xenoblade Chronicles as well. Whenever I move everything gets so blurry that I can basically no longer look at things without them getting that insane motion blur, which actually hurts my eyes almost immediately. Is that just the way it looks for everyone, could it be my monitor or is it just me?

Update the fan-patch. The patch worked at making the game run at resolutions higher than 720p, but the depth of field filter wasn't able to be updated in time for the games release (the depth of field effects were still running at 720p). The mod's author Durante just updated the mod today to fix this depth of field problem.

I'm not talking about depth of field, that's blurry even when you don't move and I don't really mind the effect. I'm experiencing motion blur everywhere and every time I move which is most likely related to my monitor and the crazy low framerate (stable 30) doesn't help either. 

Thanks for mentioning the new version though, I actually wouldn't have bought the game without Durante's patch/hack. I've tried to play without it to check if that's what's causing the motion blur (it's not) and realised that the standard port looks... disturbing, to say the least. 

@Karkarov

said:

They actually have a technical reason for the 30 fps lock that has to do alot with how character movement and animations are handled. All that BS aside the game looks fine at 30 fps and even with the resolution fix running I have never seen it drop one frame lower than 30. Anyone who claims they wanted it on pc and wouldn't buy on console and still wont buy even with the resolution fix is basically just being dumb. If you don't really want to play the game be honest about it instead of saying it is because you can't get 60 fps. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to play Dark Souls be it on pc or otherwise.

I know why it's locked to 30 and it makes sense for FROM, but I can't agree with the rest you wrote. I bought the game and for me it's barely playable due to the low frame rate (it does have something to do with monitor banding as well, but the main cause is the frame rate) and my eyes actually start burning after like 10 minutes... I'm not making that up. I'm enjoying the game immensely, but I can't have long gaming sessions simply because of the frame rate and I had that with Xenoblade Chronicles and Journey as well (weirdly enough it wasn't as bad as with Dark Souls). 

I'm sure there are people out there who just use the FPS as an excuse to not buy Dark Souls and pirate it or whatever, but when you are used to play games with at least 60, for over a decade, a drop down to 30 is like a kick in the nuts (not pleasant). It would be great if I couldn't see the slight stuttering and blurring... sadly me and a bunch of other people can.
#29 Edited by Bassario (146 posts) -

Guys, I only got it 2 days ago and am seriously considering taking back my ps3 version to get a PC one based on that a lot of people have told me I can mod out the bad performance issues... but most of all I am interested in the extra content coz I rly see myself enjoying this game long term, does anyone know if the extra content will come out on PS3 as some kind of DLC? or should I take it back now and get "prepare to die" PC version??

Also: Can ppl still behave like stupid little trolls and do the bottomless box cheat to make low lvl toons with uber gear on PC? if that is fixed then that is EVEN more reason.

#30 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@Bassario said:

Guys, I only got it 2 days ago and am seriously considering taking back my ps3 version to get a PC one based on that a lot of people have told me I can mod out the bad performance issues... but most of all I am interested in the extra content coz I rly see myself enjoying this game long term, does anyone know if the extra content will come out on PS3 as some kind of DLC? or should I take it back now and get "prepare to die" PC version??

Also: Can ppl still behave like stupid little trolls and do the bottomless box cheat to make low lvl toons with uber gear on PC? if that is fixed then that is EVEN more reason.

I'm not completely sure on either. But my friend told me the bottomless box cheat was fixed on Xbox. And he said he was waiting for the DLC for Xbox as well, so I guess it should come to Ps3 as well.

#31 Posted by Bassario (146 posts) -

@haffy said:

@Bassario said:

I'm not completely sure on either. But my friend told me the bottomless box cheat was fixed on Xbox. And he said he was waiting for the DLC for Xbox as well, so I guess it should come to Ps3 as well.

Oh thanks, that is good to know. Oh well if the DLC comes out on the old box im sure they wont single out ps3, I think ill just stick to my current version coz every version will have idiot troll twinks, Ive decided to do first playthrough completely offline to enjoy the immersion without the trolls and on second playthrough shove a zweihandler up their arse

#32 Posted by Deathcrush (52 posts) -

@Bassario: The dlc is set to winter. and it s a long time to wait for people who have been playng on the console since release and crave new content :P i think this is a bad marceting decision by people over att from software that a game that have all it s fans on the consoll is not getting the new content for such a long time after the pc release.

but i think it is great that pc is getting it, everyone should be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is dark souls hope they make a pc and xbox port for demon souls to so people who dont play on ps3 can experience that to

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.