From Software , I want more!

#1 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

Never thought I would say this to any developer but From Software, please expand this game with DLC. I can't get enough of Dark Souls and I want some new zones to explore, with some new enemies and crazy bosses. I will pay you an inordinate amount of real cash or microsoft bucks for it. Anyone else feel like this, or are you standing firm in your anti-DLC sentiments?

As for ideas for these new zones, what about a huge stranded ship on a cliffy coast where you enter through a hole in the lower hull working your way to the captains cabin.

Never going to happen is it?

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -
#3 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

There will be no DLC.

"According to him, Dark Souls is set to be a stand-alone, static package once it's released in early October of this year. This means that Namco and Dark Souls' developer From Software have no plans to release DLC of any kind. "

Sounds like there were no plans, which I have heard companies say before and then getting plans later. Also, the thread was more about: I would like DLC, would you too?

#4 Posted by CornBREDX (4828 posts) -

They said they plan to have no DLC. I'm fine with that (as DLC is usually not worth buying), but I do hope the game does well enough for them to keep making games 'cus I like their approach. Dark Souls is fun.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

I'd much rather see them work on an entirely new Souls game in which they not only create new environments and enemies, but also improve the controls, the combat mechanics and the engine.

#6 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

From the looks of things they at least plan to support the game with profound patches. I'll be happy enough just retooling my builds for the changes in weapon statistics. That is after all what the game is mostly about.

#7 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

When they say no plans for DLC, they really mean it. They're probably working on their next game and patching out issues with Dark Souls.

#8 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Icemael said:

I'd much rather see them work on an entirely new Souls game in which they not only create new environments and enemies, but also improve the controls, the combat mechanics and the engine.

What kind of improvements would you like to see? Engine is pretty obvious I guess, no framerate dips. What would you like to see different concerning the controls and combat mechanics?

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@jozzy said:

@Icemael said:

What kind of improvements would you like to see? Engine is pretty obvious I guess, no framerate dips. What would you like to see different concerning the controls and combat mechanics?

The only real gripe I had was the framerate dips in strange places. Like going down a ladder I was kicked to near 5 frames per second or something like that. Also the " bouncing" Was annoying. I would rather strong hits knock you over and give you a chance to wiggle away. Instead of staggering you non stop and having you open to attack 

I have near 100 hours in this game. I would love more of this. And a better server thing.
#10 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Dark Souls is like a woman, she can be a bitch time to time, but you love her.

#11 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@jozzy said:

@Icemael said:

Better targeting (group combat is garbage in both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and it's largely because of the way targeting works), more advanced combat techniques (as a heavy melee character, I pretty much just hold up my shield until the enemy has attacked and then attack back -- it's decent fun, but there could be more sophistication to the process) and faster, more intense action.
#12 Posted by MachoFantastico (4506 posts) -

With the amount of coverage Dark Souls as got on Giantbomb, I kind of want to play it. But keep fighting the temptation.

MUST NOT PLAY! :D

#13 Edited by Marz (5643 posts) -

guess you can buy a ps3 and play demon's souls if you haven't already :P

#14 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@TrueEnglishGent said:

With the amount of coverage Dark Souls as got on Giantbomb, I kind of want to play it. But keep fighting the temptation.

MUST NOT PLAY! :D

*Creepy hypnotic voice* Why not just play it? It is such a unique and great game. You know you want to, just do it... Why not go to the store right now and pick it up ... Common, what are you waiting for ...

#15 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

There will be no DLC.

"According to him, Dark Souls is set to be a stand-alone, static package once it's released in early October of this year. This means that Namco and Dark Souls' developer From Software have no plans to release DLC of any kind. "

Sounds like there were no plans, which I have heard companies say before and then getting plans later. Also, the thread was more about: I would like DLC, would you too?

I believe if the developers don't build in some kind of hook for dlc from the get go, then there's no possibility of further dlc. I doubt that From Software will release any DLC.

They should just start or continue working on the next Souls game instead of releasing some dlc that I'd be done with within 3 hours.

#16 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

@Icemael said:

@jozzy said:

@Icemael said:

Better targeting (group combat is garbage in both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and it's largely because of the way targeting works), more advanced combat techniques (as a heavy melee character, I pretty much just hold up my shield until the enemy has attacked and then attack back -- it's decent fun, but there could be more sophistication to the process) and faster, more intense action.

From what I've heard about patch 1.04 they improved how the targeting works. Unfortunately it's not going to release here anytime soon because it introduced more multiplayer issues and they're sorting those out in Japan before Namco will bother patching anything over here.

#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

@jozzy said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

There will be no DLC.

I believe if the developers don't build in some kind of hook for dlc from the get go, then there's no possibility of further dlc. I doubt that From Software will release any DLC.

They should just start or continue working on the next Souls game instead of releasing some dlc that I'd be done with within 3 hours.

Plus this kinda game could get fucked with DLC. What if you get some weapon no one can counter without the DLC?  
 They tied the game up pretty tightly with the ending (Good ending at least( 
#18 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@jozzy said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

There will be no DLC.

But I want those 3 hours of new unique content. I don't want to wait 2 years for the next Souls game...

On the other hand, From Software, don't see this as an opportunity to release a survival mode where you fight increasingly harder waves of recycled baddies...

#19 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

@Icemael said:

@jozzy said:

@Icemael said:

From what I've heard about patch 1.04 they improved how the targeting works. Unfortunately it's not going to release here anytime soon because it introduced more multiplayer issues and they're sorting those out in Japan before Namco will bother patching anything over here.

Thanks for the info, was wondering why it hadn't made it's way over yet. We don't need more multiplayer issues that's for sure.

#20 Posted by TeamJersey (339 posts) -

I have now put over 150 hours into two different characters. DLC is not a must for me. The game stands on its own.

#21 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@TeamJersey said:

I have now put over 150 hours into two different characters. DLC is not a must for me. The game stands on its own.

Agreed that this game is tremendous value for money, I have also poured over 100 hours into it and will probably add at least another 100 over the next few months. It's just that I've pretty much seen all there is to see and I still don't have enough of the game. I would love some new fresh content, love the feeling of exploring a zone for the first time and I want more of that.

#22 Posted by EVO (3869 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

Dark Souls is like a woman, she can be a bitch time to time, but you love her.

I'd say it's more like an abusive boyfriend.

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@jozzy said:

@TeamJersey said:

Agreed that this game is tremendous value for money, I have also poured over 100 hours into it and will probably add at least another 100 over the next few months. It's just that I've pretty much seen all there is to see and I still don't have enough of the game. I would love some new fresh content, love the feeling of exploring a zone for the first time and I want more of that.

Go find the blacksmith in the catacombs. Thats all ways fun. 
#24 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@jozzy said:

@TeamJersey said:

Did that too, gotta admit I found him in my NG+ not before. Guess I'll just do more coop and pvp but the main draw of this game for me is exploring and conquering the zones (EDIT: the first time).

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@jozzy said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@jozzy said:

@TeamJersey said:

Did that too, gotta admit I found him in my NG+ not before. Guess I'll just do more coop and pvp but the main draw of this game for me is exploring and conquering the zones (EDIT: the first time).

I need to visit him. I wanna put fire on this bandit dagger I have. 
#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

People are still against DLC?

That's like being against analog sticks at this point.

#27 Edited by TeamJersey (339 posts) -

@XII_Sniper: I am not against it, but From Software has already announced they aren't releasing any for this particular game. I am just saying with the wealth of content it already has, I am ok with no DLC for it.

That being said, if they did I would surely purchase it.

#28 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@TeamJersey said:

@XII_Sniper: I am not against it, but From Software has already announced they aren't releasing any for this particular game. I am just saying with the wealth of content it already has, I am ok with no DLC for it.

That being said, if they did I would surely purchase it.

Sure I can see that. That game is long as hell, from what I've been watching you repeat the same sections over and over and over again anyway.

Still I just find it funny when people take a stance against it. its been commonplace for like 6 years now at least.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

No, I want an even better sequel.

#30 Posted by Branwulf (397 posts) -

There's a very definitive ending, and the structure of the world doesn't really allow for expansion to be honest, better that they start working on the next one now and make an even better game than make DLC for this one.

#31 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Branwulf said:

There's a very definitive ending, and the structure of the world doesn't really allow for expansion to be honest, better that they start working on the next one now and make an even better game than make DLC for this one.

Can't say I agree with you, they could just add optional zones like inside the painting. I agree they shouldn't alter the ending, at least not in paid for DLC. If they decide to make a more epic ending (my opinion, I thought the ending was a huge letdown) then everyone should get it.

#32 Posted by Branwulf (397 posts) -
@jozzy Funny, I thought the endings were pretty good, the Dark Lord one being the best and apparantly the true one, you fulfil your destiny as an undead.

And those optional zones were really tied into the game more than you suggest, there isn't much you could add that wouldn't unbalance the game in some way as I doubt they'd want to imtroduce more magic or weapon modifications to the game.
#33 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

They could add a couple new zones where you could join new covenants.

#34 Posted by Klaimore (945 posts) -

Well its a shame this game wont get DLC but oh well the stand alone game is amazing.

#35 Posted by illegalnull (112 posts) -

@Marz said:

I agree, play Demon's Souls if you haven't already.

#36 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

People are still against DLC?

That's like being against analog sticks at this point.

There is good and bad DLC.

To use your analogy: there are analog sticks and there are nubs.

I would totally shell out money for anything Dark Souls related.

#37 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Upcoming Dark Souls Seasonpass $59.99! 1000 new skins, 2 overpowered weapons. Play the new Gwynevere "massage" mini-game. Play the new Rat-hordemode! Integrated party voice-chat! It will blow your MIND!

#38 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

just make it for the PC is all i ask. imagine how glorious it would look running at 1080p and 60fps.

#39 Posted by NecroMongo (64 posts) -

In my opinion DLC would ruin the aesthetic.

#40 Posted by EToaster (128 posts) -

If you like the exploration and atmospheric elements of Demon's/Dark Souls, I recommend checking out From's older first person action rpg series, King's Field. King's Field and King's Field 2 on the PS1, as well as King's Field: The Ancient City on the PS2 are really great games to explore, but they are rather slow paced. The lack of any loading times after starting the game is quite impressive in the PS1 games, though.

#41 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#42 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

@jozzy:

You know what you should do instead?

Play King's Field 1, 2, and 3. It's like Dark Souls, but as a FPS...and kinda messed up in some ways similar to Dark/Demon Souls and in some ways not.

#43 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Upcoming Dark Souls Seasonpass $59.99! 1000 new skins, 2 overpowered weapons. Play the new Gwynevere "massage" mini-game. Play the new Rat-hordemode! Integrated party voice-chat! It will blow your MIND!

As much as I know this would ruin every fucking thing about the game that makes it great and turn it into dirt, but I'm so addicted right now I'd still buy it :'(.

#44 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

@illegalnull said:

@Marz said:

I agree, play Demon's Souls if you haven't already.

For some reason going back to Demon's made me think what if you already played the shit out of Demon's Souls? Then what? Could I get black-out drunk and play Oblivion in third person and pretend it's a Souls game.

#45 Edited by Rawson (136 posts) -

@McQuinn said:

For some reason going back to Demon's made me think what if you already played the shit out of Demon's Souls? Then what? Could I get black-out drunk and play Oblivion in third person and pretend it's a Souls game.

Go for it. Just find the right Oblivion mods to make it a reasonable facsimile. Then come back here and tell us about what mods you installed, so we can continue to feed our addiction.

That said, I'll give King's Field a try once I'm done with Dark Souls. I wish they were available on PSN.

#46 Posted by Rizaun (10 posts) -

I'd prefer to have a new game as DLC tends to be way too short and most of the time not even worth it, like +20 mins of gameplay and a new buttugly armor and weapon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.