GameTrailers RPG of the Year

#1 Edited by arch4non (443 posts) -
#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@arch4non said:

Looks like Dark Souls snagged GameTrailer's RPG of the Year award, just barely edging out Skyrim. I must say I'm quite surprised by this and am very happy it wasn't just shrugged off by a bunch of people who didn't play it for more than an hour.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-role-playing-game-of-the/725240

You trying to say something?

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Giant Bomb didn't give Dark Souls it's due.That's true. But this is not a comprehensive site nor does it try to be.

#4 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Giant Bomb didn't give Dark Souls it's due.That's true. But this is not a comprehensive site nor does it try to be.

Rorie wrote a long ass article on the game. There is a 90+ quick look on the game. Vinny played through a huge chunk of the game and liked it. so did Patrick. So did Brad. So did Ryan.

What do you people want? EDIT: A review?

#5 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Dany:

A review. An article by an actual member of the site. Someone actually finishing the game. These would be nice. But once again this is not a site that has the scope to comprehensively cover every game especially one as long and involved as Dark Souls. And as I said that is okay. So get off my fucking back.

#6 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Dany:

A review. An article by an actual member of the site. Someone actually finishing the game. These would be nice. But once again this is not a site that has the scope to comprehensively cover every game especially one as long and involved as Dark Souls. And as I said that is okay. So get off my fucking back.

The podcast along with the 2 hours of Ryan playing Dark Souls on camera shows that much of the staff enjoy the game a whole lot. While it didn't get a review, neither did Red Dead Redemption and that was GOTY for many staffers.

#7 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Dany: I am not complaining. I wish it got those things that I mentioned, but it is fine that it didn't. I don't know what else you want me to say?

#8 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Dany: I am not complaining. I wish it got those things that I mentioned, but it is fine that it didn't. I don't know what else you want me to say?

I think he's just trying to tell you GiantBomb is a comprehensive site, which you said it wasn't.

I also disagree with your statement, but I don't have anything else to say about that, nothing against you.

#9 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Strife777: Well Jeff, Ryan, and the rest of the crew disagree with you. They openly admit that they can't get to all the games that come out and still keep the site as what they want it to be.. They get to most big releases but not all. El Shaddai is an example of just one game they didn't really cover.

#10 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@TentPole: I know you're not.

The site is more comprehensive considering how small it is than what most people assume.

EDIT: They try to cover all the big and important games as much as they can and they do a really decent job about it most of the time, sometimes, games just fall through the crack because another game was in its way.

#11 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

lol dark souls

#12 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

@arch4non said:

Looks like Dark Souls snagged GameTrailer's RPG of the Year award, just barely edging out Skyrim. I must say I'm quite surprised by this and am very happy it wasn't just shrugged off by a bunch of people who didn't play it for more than an hour.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-role-playing-game-of-the/725240

Demon's Souls was my one of my favorite games of 2009, and I despise Dark Souls. Honestly Skyrim was a bit of a disappointment as well.

#13 Edited by arch4non (443 posts) -

@Dany said:

Rorie wrote a long ass article on the game. There is a 90+ quick look on the game. Vinny played through a huge chunk of the game and liked it. so did Patrick. So did Brad. So did Ryan.

What do you people want? EDIT: A review?

If you look at Brad, Ryan, and Jeff's achievements you'll find they only have about as many as you'll get from an hour's worth of playing. Vinny at least played through about half of it, Rorie doesn't seem to have his PSN trophies linked up but it's safe to say he gave it a fair chance.

After hearing comments about dumping hundreds of hours into other games or playing Star Wars:The Old Republic for an entire weekend, the "we can't get to them all" excuse is a little hard to accept. It's disheartening to have categories like "check yourself before you break yourself" and complaints of sequel fatigue when we have awesome, unique games like Dark Souls just slip right on through the cracks unnoticed.

Dark Souls was shrugged off by a lot of reviewers, not just Giant Bomb. I'm just happy it was able to get recognition from GameTrailers when it didn't get its due process elsewhere.

#14 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

You think Dark Souls was overlooked try finding anything on Witcher 2, just because it wasn't on consoles people act like it doesn't exist. Hoping it will at least make an appearance in Vinnys top 10.

#15 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -
#16 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

You think Dark Souls was overlooked try finding anything on Witcher 2, just because it wasn't on consoles people act like it doesn't exist. Hoping it will at least make an appearance in Vinnys top 10.

Vinny is never one to disappoint, he mentioned both The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls in his Top 10!

#17 Posted by DXmagma (317 posts) -

Well that's nice. I got a buddy really into Dark Souls who told me about this. Doesn't really see like my thing but I can't really think of any RPG I'd rather the award go to. Except maybe Battlefield 3. I mean that's got levels and shit. And those levels have jets. Any jets in Dark Souls? Yeah. There you go. But I guess someone's gotta give props to the little guy.

#18 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

Well one of the guys at GT really liked Demon's Souls, so Dark Souls getting some love doesn't surprise me too much. But it winning over Skyrim definitely does.

#19 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Props to them. Dark Souls is probably in my top 3 games this year. It was fucking phenomenal. Vinny also included it on his Top 10, so it's not like "Giant Bomb isn't giving the game it's due credit," but it's not a game for everyone and I'm not surprised that it didn't show up more often in other awards.

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Skyrim strikes me as a better fit for an RPG award, Dark Souls to me seems more like a third person action/adventure game, obviously not in the same sense Enslaved is.  There's RPG mechanics at play but Dark Souls doesn't really follow the whole 'you are this guy, play out your role how you like' thing. It's difficult to describe what I'm getting at, I see Dark Souls as a slow paced action game with skill points.

Either way, great game.

#21 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

I'm glad that this thing that is important to me is important to other people, because when other people don't seem to care about what's important to me it bums me out.

Uh, I mean, uh, logical thoughts...and, direction of the industry, and maybe, deserved recognition of quality in a disparate media landscape, and uh, crap.

#22 Posted by Elyk247 (367 posts) -

Skyrim is still a better game imo. It seems like giving Dark Souls the award just serves to discredit the sheer scope and player discretion of Skyrim.

I may sound like a conformist, but we should try to hold games that are more easily accessible in the limelight. Dark Souls is a great game but not one that should be thrown into people's faces because it's not going to cater to the masses. It's a true gamer's game, and that's where it kinda falls through on Joe Shmo.

#23 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

My personal GOTY.

#24 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Cool.

Why should we care again?

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Who cares man, there were loads of great games this year. Frankly, how DO you give the award to just one game? That's why the top 10 thing works well.

#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Only one game can get GOTY, not every game will be that one game, why cant you people be happy.

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Why are people surprised about this? Demon's Souls was GT's 2009 RPG of the Year. Dark Souls seemed like the obvious shoe-in.

#28 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Skyrim strikes me as a better fit for an RPG award, Dark Souls to me seems more like a third person action/adventure game, obviously not in the same sense Enslaved is. There's RPG mechanics at play but Dark Souls doesn't really follow the whole 'you are this guy, play out your role how you like' thing. It's difficult to describe what I'm getting at, I see Dark Souls as a slow paced action game with skill points. Either way, great game.

Actually, Dark Souls is quite the RPG as your actions do have consequences. Unlike Skyrim where the whole world revolves around you, in Dark Souls every NPC is on their own journey. Your actions can lead to their doom or salvation. You don't even have to give the Lordvessel to Frampt, you can give it to Kaathe instead. In addition to this nearly every weapon unique in some way, not all melee weapons will swing the same with maybe a slight variation in speed or damage. The progression is not linear as you can open many alternate routes and secret passages as well.

So yes, Dark Souls is an RPG. Not in the sense of dice rolling and item hunting, but rather in terms of character customization and story decisions.

#29 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

Glad to see it get the recognition it deserves. Totally overlooked by a lot of media outlets, a great title.

#30 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

@Dany said:

@TentPole said:

@Dany:

The podcast along with the 2 hours of Ryan playing Dark Souls on camera shows that much of the staff enjoy the game a whole lot. While it didn't get a review, neither did Red Dead Redemption and that was GOTY for many staffers.

Where is this 2 hour video of Ryan playing Dark Souls? Is it members only? If not can I get a link?

#31 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Yeah, members only.

#32 Posted by TheHT (11270 posts) -

Fuckin A Dark Souls.

#33 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Strife777: Well Jeff, Ryan, and the rest of the crew disagree with you. They openly admit that they can't get to all the games that come out and still keep the site as what they want it to be.

Which means it's time to hire more people right?

#34 Posted by Juno500 (429 posts) -

@Elyk247 said:

I may sound like a conformist, but we should try to hold games that are more easily accessible in the limelight. Dark Souls is a great game but not one that should be thrown into people's faces because it's not going to cater to the masses. It's a true gamer's game, and that's where it kinda falls through on Joe Shmo.

What? That's ridiculous. We should be be holding games in the limelight that are great, regardless of how accessible they are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.