Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Get your castlevania on in Dark Souls.

Captain_Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Captain_Rick
    http://pt.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295621158
    This is a livestream of someone playing the Japanese version of Dark  Souls. 
    Now the most awesome part, at 27 minutes in dude demonstrates the new whip weapon. It looks badass like castlevania for reals.
    I just hope it will be useful, unlike the cool weapons in demon's souls that were useless like the claws.
    Captain_Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Captain_Rick
    http://pt.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295621158
    This is a livestream of someone playing the Japanese version of Dark  Souls. 
    Now the most awesome part, at 27 minutes in dude demonstrates the new whip weapon. It looks badass like castlevania for reals.
    I just hope it will be useful, unlike the cool weapons in demon's souls that were useless like the claws.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Akrid

Ummmmm.... Check your link duder. 

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By shinigami420
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

I want to see this live stream too. Hurry up and change the link!

Edit: Thanks!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

Is that all it does? if so that's disappointing.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jimi
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shinigami420
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid

Man. Is it the stream or is the framerate really that bad in spots?

Aside from that it looks like more Demon Souls, which, y'know, isn't a bad thing by any means. Whip looks like it's gonna be useless.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jimi
    Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Farbelowaverage

Judging simply from the sound effect from it hitting the wall, it seems like the standard forward attack hits 3 or 4 times in extremely quick succession as it unfurls. If there's any way to upgrade it to be a "Barbed" whip or something similar, it seems like it'd be a great weapon for applying bleed damage, or something else that requires a proc. Mind you, this is just speculation.

In any case, I'd take form over function in a game any day; if it looks cool while enchanted, I'll be swinging it.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Questionable

@Farbelowaverage said:

Judging simply from the sound effect from it hitting the wall, it seems like the standard forward attack hits 3 or 4 times in extremely quick succession as it unfurls. If there's any way to upgrade it to be a "Barbed" whip or something similar, it seems like it'd be a great weapon for applying bleed damage, or something else that requires a proc. Mind you, this is just speculation.

In any case, I'd take form over function in a game any day; if it looks cool while enchanted, I'll be swinging it.

Actually that would suggest the damage of a single strike is split up in 4, ie 25% damage per hit compared to a single strike weapon. considering that bleed damage does not stack that would actually be a pretty bad combination.

If you have a slow weapon get damage bonuses that scale with the weapon's damage,  If you have a very fast weapon get flat(static) damage bonuses  

At the end of the day all weapons base attributes are balanced to have roughly the same dps (damage per secound output) but mechanics wise Dark souls only takes into consideration the base damage so weapon speed is never equalised in the damage calculations for buffs 

/End Theorycraft 101

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Farbelowaverage

@Questionable: Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with Demon's Souls, but I am quite familiar with game mechanics. I qualified the enchantment as requiring a proc, as I thought the Bleed effect would (the English language information pages I've come across on the game aren't terribly adept at defining their terms, and I took Bleed Resistance to be a factor of negation rather than mitigation).

For an effect that scales on pure damage, you are entirely correct; it would struggle to overcome damage resistances heavier weapons would scoff at. However, for use with an enchantment that does X damage over Y seconds, Z% of the time, it would be outstanding because of the 4 separate hits. Stacking damage hadn't entered into my line of thinking, because I was anticipating a much lower rate of effect. With that line of thinking, I was looking at the whip as a way to get in one or two swings to safely apply your debuffs/DoTs while maintaining distance, and then switch off to a closing weapon or just continue to brandish the whip while the effect whittles your opponent down.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Questionable
    @Farbelowaverage:  
    Yeah,  sadly assuming they will just use the Demon's souls system re-applying the a already-in-progress DoT will just overlap the previous application meaning that the duration and damage of the previous charge is effectively  lost.  

Receiving poison damage as a player the duration and damage is high enough that you can not ignore it and basicly forces you to use a consumable to get rid of it as at its full duration the damage is similar to 3-4 regular hits. Resistances only lower the application rate  not the actual damage so in gameplay terms you are trading being able to absorb 20% more physical damage against being forced to take a anti poison herb once every 5 hits instead of 3.  Its usefullness varies in each enviroment, you have to take into account how often you expect to hit, how hard and what limited supplies you have available. afterall poison is only a bonus effect, you will still be guaranteed to receive the physical damage   

On youre first playthrough resources and gear setups will likely be limited so you will use whatever is at hand, on succesive runs damage will start falling behind on your strength and you will have plenty of farm spots available to trivialise any vendor bought resource (This is the same reason why they suposedly changed over to the light-flasks system)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.