Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Give me the push I need

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By david3cm

So after playing Demon's Souls and not enjoying it, I had zero interest in Dark Souls when it came out. But after watching someone do a speed run of this game and having nothing to play currently I picked it up. When I returned from the store I placed it on my coffee table where it has sat for about a week now unopened. Sitting here and looking at the games that I am excited for coming out in a weeks time I am having a hard time justifying putting this in my Xbox when I could return it for full price and pick up 2 games I am interested in. There are things I am actually interested in seeing in Dark Souls but I share the issues with this game that most people do and I am having a hard time making the decision to actually open this.

So tell me die hard Dark Soul's fans and haters alike, should I trudge through the clumsy controls and bad graphics to see the varied locations and enemies, is there enough of a difference between this game and Demon's Souls to keep me interested, or should I just bring this back to Best Buy and play through The Witcher again until Diablo and Max Payne come out next week?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I played through the entire game three times in the past two weeks.

There wasn't even a reason for it, I just did it for fun.

There's just so many ways to play and so much shit to do between PvE and PvP that it never gets old. It's just a great game.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Return it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

@david3cm:

Only pussies don't play Dark Souls. Pussies, cowards and...and...wimps!

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I love Dark Souls and have the plat in demon`s.

And I`m telling you to burn it. Destroy it. Save yourself.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TentPole

Monster and level design is fantastic. Awesome bosses.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By david3cm

@LordXavierBritish: Have you played Demon's Souls, are there any meaningful changes between the two that may hook me unlike the first one.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By notdavid

It's not the Mt Everest esque pinnacle of skill that everyone makes it out to be. I have terrible reflexes, and I still had a good time with it.

Also, bad graphics? What? That game's gorgeous!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @david3cm said:

@LordXavierBritish: Have you played Demon's Souls, are there any meaningful changes between the two that may hook me unlike the first one.

Overall it's just a better game, both in terms of how it plays and how it introduces you to the mechanics.

I think Dark Souls is actually a little bit easier than Demon's Souls, not because it is any less difficult but because it does a much better job of teaching you how to survive.

It is also, at least initially, a lot more linear so you probably aren't going to get deep into an area that is way too difficult for your current Soul Level. The first half of the game is very directed, or at least the game tries to make it very obvious what the best path forward is. It never feels like any scenario is completely unwinnable unless it is completely off the beaten path.
    Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Voxus

There is no salvation. No memorable last words. No white light at the end of the tunnel.

Save yourself.

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

PUSH.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NegativeCero

I haven't played Demon's Souls, but have gotten deep into Dark Souls so I can't compare. I can say that if you let it and are willing to do some outside research, it will get its hooks into you. Its not necessariy hard, so much as it requires patience and acceptance of the fact that you get punished for mistakes and you will die and lose souls and humanity. It's not a big deal if you do, you'll always get more. Also, I would not say the controls are bad. Death from poor controls has never happened to me.

That said, if you're waiting on those two games next week, I'd just return it. From my experience, Dark Souls has been a time investment where I would not play other games while I'm going through it. So for that alone, I'd just wait until next week and use the money towards that.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By therabidfrog

Eh. The game does not have clumsy controls. It doesn't have bad graphics. It's a very unique game which you will not play because you're a pussy. I know that sounds harsh and senseless and mean, and I apologize for that, but every person who reads this thread who has beaten demon souls and darks souls saw the title and instantly said aloud "He's a pussy."

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Play it

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Clumsy controls? Besides the input lag that the game had at the beginning, the game is one of the most fluid playing games out there right now.

DO IT.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By therabidfrog

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Clumsy controls? Besides the input lag that the game had at the beginning, the game is one of the most fluid playing games out there right now.

DO IT.

Exactly. The unfortunate thing for some people is that it's a game that requires that you learn how to properly play it in order not to suck at it. As opposed to a lot of modern games where you can just mash the x button against your forehead.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Sterling

Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?

Praise the Sun!

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By david3cm

@therabidfrog: Haha, so I come to the community to try and understand what it is about this game that people love, and you call me a pussy. If this is the kind of person I must become to enjoy this game, I think I will pass.

drGiggless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By drGiggless

since you aren't going to finsh the game, i will show you what happens at the end.

coherent storyline was never the strongest element of Dark Souls
    coherent storyline was never the strongest element of Dark Souls
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By emkeighcameron

@david3cm said:

@therabidfrog: Haha, so I come to the community to try and understand what it is about this game that people love, and you call me a pussy. If this is the kind of person I must become to enjoy this game, I think I will pass.

You don't sound like you should go in blind. To some people, the fun is figuring out where to go and what to do next. To others, the combat is satisfying enough that exploration takes a backseat. I'm guessing you'd be in the second category.

I bet if you followed a walkthrough and took a very slow, methodical approach to it, you'd have a lot of fun. If you just jump in and run around without a sense of direction, you WILL rage quit.

It is an absolutely fantastic game which you'd be dumb not to at least try.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bybeach

Where is a cliff.....

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaggE

@therabidfrog said:

every person who reads this thread who has beaten demon souls and darks souls saw the title and instantly said aloud "He's a pussy."

Nope, just you. The rest of us understand that tastes vary.

Rerejo28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rerejo28

I have it, and am enjoying it somewhat, just make sure there's something nearby to smash nearby, so you don't freak out and throw the controller when you mess up. Oh, and you will mess up, it's inevitable. And don't play it around anyone, it'll just make you madder...

PLAY IT.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sbaitso

I personally think the controls are basically perfect for the game, the envirnments look good, some of them great, though its no pinnacle of graphical fidelity. And it's really not as hard as it's made out to be, you just have to play somewhat cautiously and remain aware of what's going on. I say give it a shot, if you hate it, thats too bad and I'm sorry, but if it hooks you, it hooks you HARD. Also, all the people who say you're a pussy if you aren't down with the souls games are a big part of what give the souls games a bad name and perpetuate the idea that it's "the most hardcore toughest shit ever man", it's really not.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laserbolts

If you didn't enjoy Demon's Souls I doubt you will enjoy Dark Souls. It's a great game and one of my favorites of this generation but it sounds like it's not for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.