Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Hardest boss you've faced so far.

• 116 results
    TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TwilitEnd656

The only one I really had trouble with was Ornstein. And then I got used to the timing, and now it's just a matter of patient with any of the bosses. =P

Also, I laugh at how you can parry the last boss. It would have been pretty difficult if you couldn't but, well... Parry/riposte is so much fun.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By CJduke

Definitely smaugh and Orstein, but I totally just got crushed by Four Kings and The crystal dragon. The clams came out and wrecked me so fast.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Maajin

After I learned to predict Sif's double spin attack, he was pretty easy.

Hardest for me were Smaugh & Ornstein and Seath the Scaleless, had to call for help to beat them. Gwyn is also pretty hard, but if you're really good at parrying the fight becomes a lot easier.

SirDancelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By SirDancelot

I had the most trouble with the Taurus Demon, because I forgot about the dive bomb attack from the tower, and was still getting used to the mechanics. I found that switching from a scimitar (I was Wanderer) to a lucky battle ax drop I landed made a huge difference, and allowed me to at least reach TD easier. Chaos Bed was probably the one that annoyed me most, because it was a long trek, I got some several summoned allies, and then they all immediately fell into the cracks opening up, or were torched by the AOE fire storms.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Marz

Finally killed those cocksuckers Ornstein and Smough.   The trick was killing Smough first because Ornstein second phase seemed alot easier to deal with, i had too much trouble with Smough's second phase for some reason, damn fatty.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By killroycantkill

I found Quelaag to be the hardest boss. Only one I've has to summon people to help me out with so far.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Ornstein and Smough are the hardest by far. The end boss is a cakewalk when you get parrying down (does not take long), and every other boss in the game is really easy.

Kill Smough first and all you have to deal with is a boss that requires you to know how to circle-strafe, roll, and hit things. Seriously, people overhyped how "hard" Super Saiyan Ornstein is; i.e. he's really fucking easy.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Shadow

I went against Nito and well....ffffuuuuccckkk that guy. The actual boss isn't as bad as the constant stream of skeleton warrior minions he spawns. Dark Sun Gwendolyn just sucks. He jacked me for 150000 souls yesterday.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By Shadow

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Ornstein and Smough are the hardest by far. The end boss is a cakewalk when you get parrying down (does not take long), and every other boss in the game is really easy.

Kill Smough first and all you have to deal with is a boss that requires you to know how to circle-strafe, roll, and hit things. Seriously, people overhyped how "hard" Super Saiyan Ornstein is; i.e. he's really fucking easy.

I think the problem with him is at that point in the game, most people are using a lightning weapon. When you hit super Ornstein with a lightning weapon, his health goes down by the tiniest fraction of a sliver. Super Smough was infinitely easier for me to deal with.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By NekuCTR

I died the most to Quelaag easily, but that was due to my own stupidity. Overall the hardest boss is easily the final one, no spoilers, unless of course you utilize a little thing I like to call ironflesh.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Right now i'm having trouble with the Demon Firesage.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By Omega

Seath the Scaleless is definitely the hardest so far. I completely sold out the purging stones. I didn't even know the vendors could sell out of stuff. I have 4 purging stones left to get me to the end of the game. But at least I got his sword. Being a pure sorcerer that thing will prove to be a good investment. Most bosses up to this point have been really easy. I'm assuming its because I'm a sorcerer. Sif went down in two or three homing soulmass shots, Smough and Ornstien I only died 3 or 4 times on, and when I figured out to us the pillar stumps to avoid Smough's charges he was cake. Ornstien died before he even made it close to me.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Sorcerers are superior in every way.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NekuCTR

@Omega: The clams in front of Seaths arena drop purging stones, though they may be a bit difficult to kill. After you kill Seath he drops a bonfire so that you can easily grind them.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MysteriousFawx

Skinny and Fatty before Amazing chest ahead

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Just finished the game (no spoiler don't worry). Hardest boss might have been Ornestain and Smoug. But I got lucky and a couple of people got summoned on my 3rd try. Made the fight super easy.

Boss I died to the most was probably the Stray Demon when you return to Undead Asylum.

But my hardest for the entire first play through was stil the first Capra demon and his 2 dogs. Go figure.

None of the other main bosses game me much trouble. The last few I tanked in Havel's armor, protection ring and Iron Flesh, taking next to no damage.

I was afraid of Ornstein and Smoug. Read how the encounter gave everybody grief. Beat them in my second try. Just focused on Smoug and was on him 100% of the time - goading him into attacking (so easy to evade up close), whilst beating the shit out of him. Ornstein alone was quite easy too then.

Yeah it's Smoug when he is buffed up if you don't kill him first that gives most people trouble.

By the way the order in which you kill them not only changes the item/soul. But also the armor that will be sold by that merchant in the Depths (he will travel to the bridge close to fire link shrine eventually).

And Smoug's armor, if you kill him last, is actually a tiny tiny bit better then Havel's and tiny tiny bit lighter (I still used Havel's because Smoug's armor looks ugly)

Ornstein's Armor looks insanely awesome and it's light for the stats it sports. Was like 2 endurance away from being under 50% with using an ultra greatsword and great shield without havel's ring.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Valames

Nito! NITO! AHHHH!!!! I wonder sometimes, if I wait and let them all come out, will he be a very tiny skeleton head. Like the ones you fight before you attempt him. Not the pinwheels, you know the ones I mean.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By McShank

I would have to say the 4 kings... I went in not knowing wtf was gonna happen and I did not have the firepower to drop them fast enough as i had 3 of them on me and couldnt handle the destruction. once i summoned someone, they were easy :D Other then that boss, I would have to say the chaos bed for the mere fact of he kept hitting me as i rolled onto the root which would push me Just far enough away to not land right. I had to run to that god damn boss at least 20+ times before i made it to that root >.<

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Shadow: I'm surprised you run DkSouls with one weapon. Just go grind out a pyro flame and fire orb/fireball. Easy peazy.

Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fribain

Gwynn was horrible for me since I was using a tower shield and couldn't parry/reposte his attacks. I also didn't know about the whole parry thing until after I beat him the hard way.

This is basically how it went down for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2JZ6iRYo0Y

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Seathe the Scaless, Orstein and Smough, Sif, and Gwyn (until I found you could parry). All really tough.

Fizzledark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Fizzledark

Capra Demon annoyed me to no ends. Taurus Demon (until I noticed that ladder...). Belfry Gargoyles until I got Solaire's help / Drake Sword.

Died 2 times on Bed of Chaos, both due to falling through holes (once after each side-target kill)

Died once on Centipede.

Died on Stray demon, came back with a good weapon and demolished him.

Died like 4-5 times on Gwyn, then killed him with little to no problems (without parrying).

Others, I 1-shotted :) on Orstein + Smough fight, killed Smough first.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Helimocopter

Fatboy Slim and Gwyn were my worst easily, i think if the capra demon messed you up you will probably have a hard time with Gwyn

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Helimocopter said:

Fatboy Slim and Gwyn were my worst easily, i think if the capra demon messed you up you will probably have a hard time with Gwyn

I found Gwyn easy. Course I got someone to help me mainly because I was being stalked by a Red spirit and I summoned him in to help. 
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#75  Edited By Humanity

Capra Demon was most annoying probably because of the combination of being early on in the game and you're not as leveled or geared up - as well as the awfully cramped area you fight him in and the general dickery of going into the fight. He is the complete exception to the rule of bosses having large fighting arenas and the fight generally being a one on one confrontation. I fought Capra probably over 10 times before I killed him, while I averaged all other bosses within 2 tries. I don't think it would even be that bad if when going through the fog animation he wasn't already running at you with both dogs at the sides.

It's probably the most unfair confrontation in the game because of those initial 5 seconds.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By jacdg

Man, I got stuck on Ornestain and Smoug and never played this awesome game again, and I doubt there are a lot of people left on the 360 to help me now, such a shame..

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#77  Edited By TobbRobb

Fatboy and Slim or Four Kings. The abyss just fucks with my perception of distance, I hate fighting down there.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Bass

A lot of people say Sif, but I never had problems with him at all. Having a good shield is pretty important I suppose, since stamina conservation is so important, but an unupgraded eagle shield got me through just fine. Get up under those legs and hack away. . . a sad fight though.

Ornstein and Smough were my hardest on my first playthrough, by far. Had to be summoned in order to learn their patterns, then become human and summon others for help. It's probably my favorite fight though, because I think it promotes co-op so much, which is my favorite part of the game.

LaudaSolem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LaudaSolem

Capra.

After a while I decided it's not worth the frustration and time trying to beat some of these bosses alone. If I enter a room and two dudes like O & S charge me, I say fuck it and call in help. There's no shame in it. Yes, I could've beat O & S on my own but I didn't want to. I didn't want to spend four hours farming, leveling up, and feeling the sweat of anticipation only to get my ass kicked once more. It's not worth it. As it goes now, I'm 80 hrs in and that's more than enough time on DS. I could jack that number to 95-100 if I'd taken on every boss solo.

The worst part of DS is not facing the bosses, it's the moment just before you walk through the fog, saying "Here I go again."

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Vashyron

I gotta say Sif, because even though I have a strategy for fighting him, the aggravation of fighting him till I figured out that strategy trumps anything I have experienced with any other boss.

2nd place goes to Fatboy Slim, because even with help, that fight can really go sideways if you screw up a little bit.

And last, I have to go with Seath, but that mostly has to do with trying to cut his damn tail off. I don't know why, but that gave me way too much trouble.

NinjatheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By NinjatheKid

I will join the legions and say Fatboy Slim, Capra Demon, and the first Hydra fight have been the hardest BY FAR for me up to now. Granted, I still haven't fought Nito, Seath, or Gwyn, so I'm pretty sure my mind will change by the end of the game.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By McShank

I am on NG+ * 7 and the 4kings refuse to die.. I just cannot beat them anymore.. So my answer still stands as the 4kings.. I hate them so much. So very very much.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By laserbolts

I have been melee only and havent summoned any help in the game so far but I am now stuck on Orstein and Smough. Died about 20 times so far and im beginning to lose hope.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#86  Edited By benspyda

Probably Orstein and Smough on NG+ gave me a bit of trouble. Overall all the bosses are pretty doable in the game bar the 4 kings in NG+(I personally haven't faced them yet), so I am scared to face the 4 kings in NG+ after all I've heard.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Only had issues with O and S. Untill I figured their attack patterns. Then it was a cake walk. 

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SonicFire

Easily the four kings boss on new game +, it's simply ridiculous to try and kill them all in time. Yeah, you can do iron flesh/smough's armor, but even still, you could be killed pretty easily, seeing as getting to that boss again and again is very difficult.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By WMWA

4 Kings were the only ones that I had a lot of problems with. That whole battle is just attrition for me. Nito gave me a little bit of problems, mostly because I'd had to use most of my Estus' just getting through Tomb of the Giants.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Seppli

M'uru - Sunwell - World of Warcraft Burning Crusade - Pre-Nerf. Quit around that time. Got just way too tense. Guild eventually beat him. After 3 months and more than 200 hours of wiping, like 2 weeks pre-nerf. Then everybody and their mother got ushered past it. That's the way of the World of Warcraft. Here's some footage of M'uru for those in-the-know...

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Seppli: This thread is specific to Dark Souls

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Seppli

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@Seppli: This thread is specific to Dark Souls

Oh - just clicked forums and picked a thread. Sry for that. I was a bit irritated too, because everybody named Ornstein. Beat the Ornstein and Smaug encounter on my second try. There's way harder encounters than that. Especially if you factor in MMORPGs.

4 Kings for me I think, to keep things on-topic.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still quite early on i guess. Capra killed me the most probably but it wasn't the hardest, just took 4 or 5 tries to get enough room at the beginning to do some work, then quite easy. Stray Demon has been the hardest, but I just decided to come back later for that guy.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#94  Edited By weegieanawrench

The final boss was a pain in the ass. He was relentless and I was so grateful for every one of his pauses. All duders going up against him as Pyromancers, get the Great Chaos Fireball. Runner up would be the

boss fight in New Londo. Fuck the Four Kings and their respawning bullshit.
    TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TheWyotee93

I killed Ornstein and Smough after a two month hiatus from the game. I had an epic rage moment and quit. I came back a week ago and summoned one god-like dude, killed them so damn fast. In a couple of days I have destroyed all of lost Izalith and am working on Seath. This game hates me but i love it. Im not looking forward to the four kings though after reading this thread.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By matthias2437

Every boss I have fought in this game has been super easy so far honestly. Only boss I have died on at all is the Tower Gargoyles. And them I only died once on. Honestly the hardest thing I think I had to fight in the game so far is Havel. That guy took my forever to kill. (side note: I have killed I think 6 actual bosses and 5 mini bosses)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#97  Edited By jakob187

Ornstein and Smough is still the toughest fight in the entirety of that game. Even Capra Demon doesn't compare for me. Granted, a lot of that could be due to the fact that I kill Smough first and then Ornstein, but even then, Ornstein is just an asshole.

I don't understand some of the other ones in here, though. I mean, I one-shot Sif on my first playthrough, as well as Four Kings. I don't see how those two are difficult at all.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By jozzy

@jakob187 said:

I don't understand some of the other ones in here, though. I mean, I one-shot Sif on my first playthrough, as well as Four Kings. I don't see how those two are difficult at all.

If you one-shotted Sif you probably killed him pretty late in the game, or was high level by farming. Lot's of people go to the forest immediately after the two bells, and he takes a lot of hits to kill on a normally progressed character at that point (and hits really hard).

coinop25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By coinop25

The last boss is the worst for me because he's hard EVEN AFTER you figure out his move set. Everybody else who gave me trouble was a walk in the park once I figured out a strategy. Sif is a breeze if you keep equip load light and just stay directly underneath him where he can't hit you. Four Kings aren't so bad as long as you kill them fast. Capra Demon is tough, but it's super easy to summon a helper to that fight, so I always do.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By laserbolts

@coinop25: Seriously I had a rough time with the last boss until I found out you can parry him. Just parry him like 8 times over and over and he dies. He's one of the easiest bosses in the game if you parry him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.