Have you ever encountered a Vagrant?

• 59 results
Edited 5 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Have you ever encountered a Vagrant? (240 votes)

Yes - Good Vagrant 6%
Yes - Evil Vagrant 9%
Yes - Red Good Vagrant 4%
Yes - Red Evil Vagrant 12%
Yes - More than once 10%
No 37%
WTF is a Vagrant? 32%
Praise the Sun! 20%

Its been a while since I have seen one. Saw my first red evil vagrant tonight. If you don't know what they are you can read about them here. The only one I have never encountered is the red good vagrant. And I have only ever encountered the other three once a peace. And those were all in different versions of the game.

Here are what they look like:

Evil Vagrant
Red Evil Vagrant
Good Vagrant (drift item)

I hope they have more odd ball stuff like this in DSII. But hopefully they are more powerful enemies that give better loot. They are not very powerful, and are some what rare. Or at least they used to be. They seem to appear more in the Prepare to Die edition.

#1 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

hehe, Oh my gwad, what is it? It's a cute little bugger

#2 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

Twice, both red. One got away, the other didn't. Don't know if they were good or evil.

#3 Posted by Sterling (2071 posts) -

@soldierg654342: If it ran from you, and didn't try to attack, it was a good. The evil ones will be aggressive. The good run like a crystal lizard.

#4 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I saw one of those really early on, I died before I could figure out what it was though. I'm not sure what variety it was.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Where's the option for all of them? Because I have. They're interesting to look at it but in truth they don't do or offer a lot when you kill 'em.

#6 Edited by Sterling (2071 posts) -

My bad, I forgot the all four option.

#7 Edited by EuanDewar (4757 posts) -

I think I might've seen two of the variants. They're a nice little curio, would be cooler if they had a little more meaning behind them though.

#8 Edited by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

Just twice, both red evils

#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

I ever saw the one. And I really can't remember which kind it was. I killed it pretty fast.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3808 posts) -

None, in 157 hours.

#11 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

I never saw one and didn't even learn about them until about a year after the game came out.

#12 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

A couple of times. I had no idea what it was.

#13 Posted by golguin (3842 posts) -

I've seen 3-4 in 550 hours of game time spread across 4 characters. The best sighting was during an invasion in the Kiln because I was able to look at it closely without worrying about the aggro. I believe I took some pictures of it.

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4032 posts) -

I've encountered one in my 300 hours. It was in Undead Burg, down by the thieves and dogs. They killed me before I could get a good look at it but it did do an attack and it was red, so I suppose it's a red evil vagrant.

#15 Posted by seveword (141 posts) -

I've seen tons of the little buggers, been killed only once when an evil one spawned in the Undead Parish behind the tower knight. Didn't see it coming.

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5229 posts) -

I've put around 90 hours into Dark souls and didn't even know they existed.

#17 Posted by Nev (539 posts) -
#18 Edited by Sinusoidal (1289 posts) -

Yeah, I completely forgot about it. It was weird at the time. In the church under the bell gargoyles near the altar. It scared the shit out of me since I hadn't been to the Blacksmith's bonfire yet and had never seen one before: which is usually when you die in Dark Souls. It went down pretty easily. I seem to recall it didn't drop anything special.

#19 Edited by Spoonman671 (4558 posts) -

I was wondering what the hell that thing was!. I was on the rafters in Anor Londo when I saw what looked like a Black Phantom standing on the ledge under the Gwynevere statue. I couldn't really make it out too well from that distance, but I thought it appeared rather crab-like and unlike anything I was familiar with in the game. Once I got a little closer it pulled aggro and walked right off the ledge to its death before I could figure out what the hell happened.

Had no idea these were a thing.

EDIT: After reading about them, I realized that I actually have heard of these things. I remember around launch hearing about the items you drop being moved on to other online players. I guess they were so rare that I just assumed they were never actually implemented and I forgot about them. This is the sort of weird shit @patrickklepek would really appreciate about this game.

#20 Posted by ripelivejam (3538 posts) -

this game is weird. you're all weird.

#21 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1113 posts) -

Nope. Didn't even know they existed until this thread. I've played for about 70 hours.

#22 Posted by Dethfish (3626 posts) -

Weird, I actually just saw one about 20 minutes ago. It was red and it was on top of the tower in undead burg with the one crossbow sniper. It freaked me out, so I attacked it before I could get a good look at it. The weirdest thing though is the wiki page says it's an online only thing, and I definitely was not online. I had unplugged my ethernet before playing because I wasn't in the mood for being invaded.

#23 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

Evil ones, yeah. Never knew there could be good ones. Neat!

#24 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2311 posts) -

Yeah, he had a bottle of Wild Irish Rose that was basically full, so I backstabbed him for it.

Why is this in the Dark Souls forum btw?

#25 Posted by CornBREDX (4805 posts) -

Didn't know what it was until just now but yes. I saw one on the terrace running up to the Dragon Bow archers in Anor Londo. I didn't have time to do anything about it. I thought maybe it was a super rare form of the crystal lizards or some weird thing.

It was weird. Only seen it once. No idea evil or good or any of that so I cant answer your poll.

#26 Posted by Capum15 (4811 posts) -

53 hours, never even heard of 'em until now.

#27 Posted by TheRealMoot (354 posts) -

Only once, and it was on my first play through. Little bastard came up behind me and killed me while running around like an idiot in the painted world.

#28 Posted by mlarrabee (2885 posts) -

Not once, and that's after about 250 hours with it.

#29 Posted by Sterling (2071 posts) -

Yeah, he had a bottle of Wild Irish Rose that was basically full, so I backstabbed him for it.

Because its about Dark Souls.

#30 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2311 posts) -

@sterling said:

@saturdaynightspecials said:

Hey man, some people get dealt a bad hand in life. Don't be judging their souls.

#31 Edited by Sterling (2071 posts) -

@sterling said:

@saturdaynightspecials said:

Hey man, some people get dealt a bad hand in life. Don't be judging their souls.

I must be slow tonight. I just got what you meant in your first post. Doh.

#32 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -

None in 260 hours I believe, though I could be wrong.

#33 Edited by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -

Sure have. Red Evil I think.

#34 Edited by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

I've played through the game at least four times, 200+ hours, have all the achievements, and only just saw one recently in New Londo Ruins. I was sure I was losing my mind because I'd never seen one before. I still don't understand what the heck it is or why it showed up.

#35 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

I think I've seen most variants of vagrants. I think the good ones actually disappear after a set amount of time like crystal lizards. The evil ones shoot fucking homing magic missiles at you.

#36 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

I have seen one evil vagrant in 300 hours. And nothing else. :C

#37 Posted by SunBroZak (1016 posts) -

I saw a good vagrant in the Duke's once. Never bothered with it, thought it was a glitch.

#38 Edited by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

I feel like I killed a lot of them and never knew what they were. Good to know.

#39 Posted by ThunderSlash (1549 posts) -

I saw one at the kiln during New Game Plus and straight up murdered it before it did anything. I don't remember it dropping anything remarkable.

#40 Edited by ElixirBronze (417 posts) -

I have never seen one in probably 200+ hours of total played time, so it was funny to me when Jeff Green encountered one on his stream and he didn't even take notice.

#41 Posted by Dethfish (3626 posts) -

I have never seen one in probably 200+ hours of total played time, so it was funny to me when Jeff Green encountered one on his stream and he didn't even take notice.

Patrick found one during his stream too and barely noticed it.

#42 Edited by probablytuna (3534 posts) -

What the hell? In my 100+ hour playthrough of this game I never knew these existed!

#43 Posted by jiggajoe14 (648 posts) -

O_O I didn't even know these little buggers existed...what the hell?!

#44 Posted by wchigo (539 posts) -

Knew of them, haven't yet encountered one in well over 100 hours of gameplay time. Thusly, I went with the 'Praise the Sun' choice on the poll, because, well, you know... PRAISE THE SUN!! \[+]/

#45 Edited by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

JUST PRAISE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

yes those things drop 20 humanity if you kill them by knocking them off a large height which results in their death becouse of FALL DAMAGE (NOT falling into the dead zone)

the only way to collect the 20 humanity is by ponching yourself in the face as hard as u can while pressing A and moving the analog stick in circles just like mario part 64

#46 Edited by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

Yeah, I know of them. Never encountered one though. Having said that, they spawn in specific locations and I potentially walk by maybe two of those locations regularly.

#47 Posted by Svenzon (713 posts) -

Yeah, once! Think it was a red evil one. It appeared in the worst possible place, namely on the bridge with the archers in Anor Londo. Swung my axe, hit it and it fell down into the chasm. Then I got hit by one of the Dragonslayer arrows and plunged to my death too. :(

#48 Posted by Shiro2809 (54 posts) -

I've seen a few of them, I think one was in the forest, another was in Duke's Archives, and another on the path leading up to everyone's favorite archer duo. I died by an invader, I think, by the archer duo one. Or I died because I wasn't expecting it to be there....

#49 Posted by Ezekiel (370 posts) -

Only two. They were the same type. I'd probably have seen more if I had kept playing the PS3 version.

#50 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.