Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Holy Great Sword of Astoria

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
    EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

What's your take on the following:

I upgraded my broken sword to the Great Sword of Astoria. My stats are low of faith and intelligence. I have about 500,000 souls banked - and about 12 total levels to climb to reach its minimum requirements. I need a divine sword to run through the New Londo Ruins and planned on using the Great Sword of Astoria. I already have a +5 Quelaags Furysword. My soul level is about 75. I also have divine ember, should I choose make a different divine weapon.

Question: Should I spend the souls on faith and intelligence so I can use the Great Sword of Astoria or spend them on increasing my other attributes?

PSN: ajlangino

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Ghost249

@EverydayOdyssey: If your planning on going through New Londo you should just put your souls into other stats as divine weapons wont even touch the ghost I believe (unless you made the Cursed Great Sword of Artorias, that will harm the ghosts) but you can just run through them with the transient curses the ghosts drop (or that female merchant sells) and you'll be fine. But it is your choice with what you do with your souls.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By strainedeyes

Divine weapons are useful in The Catacombs to kill the skeletons. That said, I wouldn't waste souls in two stats that you aren't using simply to use a weapon, it's extremely easy to craft a competent divine weapon yourself.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Nux

Don't waste the souls. Only cursed weapons and being cursed will hurt the ghosts in the New Londo Ruins. So if your don't have a lot of points in faith and intelligence

there is no real need to start putting points into them now.

EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

I should have read this 700,000 souls ago. Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully, the sword will help in the Catacombs. I am fairly certain I have a cursed giant's club that I can use or I'll just buy a bunch of transient curses. All in all, it took about 4 - 5 hours making runs in the Painted World to get that many souls and it was a lot fun helping everyone cut off that princess's tail. Happy hunting.

Next time I'll check here first before any major soul transactions.

PSN: ajlangino

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By spazmaster666

@Nux said:

Don't waste the souls. Only cursed weapons and being cursed will hurt the ghosts in the New Londo Ruins. So if your don't have a lot of points in faith and intelligence

there is no real need to start putting points into them now.

I found using cursed weapon pointless since unless you use transient curse, you won't be able to block their attacks. So while you can hurt them with a cursed weapon, unless you plan on surviving just through dodging, it's a much better idea to use transient curse and then go through with a gold serpent ring (since the ghost will drop plenty of transient curses as well.)

EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

Thanks for the heads-up. Gold serpent ring and transient curse seem to be the way to go.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@EverydayOdyssey: The divine sword will definitely come in handy during the Catacombs and especially when you fight Nito, who is really hard if you don't have a divine but super easy if you do. Without his respawning backup squad he's a wuss. You really don't need that many Transient curses unless you die to the ghosts. They last a long time and you'll get drops. I'd buy just one.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    @EverydayOdyssey: The divine sword will definitely come in handy during the Catacombs and especially when you fight Nito, who is really hard if you don't have a divine but super easy if you do. Without his respawning backup squad he's a wuss. You really don't need that many Transient curses unless you die to the ghosts. They last a long time and you'll get drops. I'd buy just one.
    Ghosts are annoying ONLY because they gang up on ya. 
    HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HotSauceMagik

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Ghosts are annoying ONLY because they gang up on ya.

Some of my most frustrating times in the game were my initial runs through New Londo. Before I realized I will easily survive if I go S L O W . . . There, and goddamn blighttown....

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Canteu

Divine weapons aren't even useful in the catacombs. Just kill the necromancers and the skeletons wont resurrect. They don't respawn either, so once you've cleared em out divine becomes 100% useless.

Just use transient curses on the ghosts untill you find the Jagged Ghost Blade from them. This weapon is cursed.

@spazmaster666: Ghosts will always do damage through blocks. Regardless of the weapon you're using. It will be reduced damage, but it will still damage nontheless.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGhee

@Canteu said:

@spazmaster666: Ghosts will always do damage through blocks. Regardless of the weapon you're using. It will be reduced damage, but it will still damage nontheless.

This is not true. Are you using a shield that blocks %100 damage? Because using a transient curse makes ghosts just like any other enemy. My shield blocks them as well as anyone.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Canteu

This was with full havels armour + shield.

I S ranked pre patch and didnt play since, they deffo damaged through blocks with a transient active.

edit: i think i'm being retarded, and 2handed the ghost blade when i was there, probably where that damage came from :p

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

@Canteu said:

edit: i think i'm being retarded, and 2handed the ghost blade when i was there, probably where that damage came from :p

Yeah that would probably do it. :)

I tried the ghost blade once and just thought, "Oh god. I'm going to die. I need more curses."

EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

This thread helps solidify for me why Giant Bomb and it's community is the best. Never expected to get such great responses to such an esoteric question. Thanks for all the insight. For what it's worth - Dark Souls is my personal game of the year. But, truth be told, I have yet to play Skyrim

Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Z3RO180

@Nux: why do people say the normal graet sword of artosis doesent hurt ghost cause i upgraded a broad sword to plus ten and got the normal one and got through new londo.

UdderDischarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UdderDischarge

i really couldnt answer, i still dont know the difference between divine, occult, and raw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.