How did the PC port turn out?

#1 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I've been considering picking this up on PC, but with all of the shittiness that seems to be packaged around this (locked frame rate/resolution without mods, GFWL, Steam, and not being sure how keyboard/mouse would work with it), I've been holding off from actually throwing the money down.

Now that it's out and people have undoubtedly played it, I'm curious what the community thinks about it. Is it worth picking up on PC? The main reason I ask is because we have quite a few customers here at work that want to play it on PC, and we're debating on whether it's worth the investment, but personally, I wouldn't mind just playing it on PC at the house as well since that rig is better specs overall.

#2 Posted by Fallen189 (4940 posts) -

It's not as good as the PS3 version, which is the king version, but it's not totally awful. GWFL makes summoning other people a bit of a hassle, if you're not familiar with how to manipulate covenants.

#3 Posted by Hunkulese (2642 posts) -
@Fallen189 How is the PS3 version better?
#4 Posted by Ghost249 (250 posts) -

@jakob187: It's not bad, There is a Resolution hack already made when the game was released and it's recommended that you plug in a controller and use that to play the game as the K & M are terrible. The only downside would be if your PC is unable to run it, which it shouldn't.

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

@Fallen189 How is the PS3 version better?

The PS3 version was the lead platform for the game so it has less bugs, frame rate drops, etc.

#6 Edited by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Works perfectly for me! The game is made for 30FPS, so I don't really give a shit about that, and the game scales really well with the resolutiong hack. So playing it supersampled actually looks waaaaaay better than the console versions. I still get framedrops in some areas and around some effects, but that seems par for the course with this game, and its slightly less common now then on the 360. The new content is pretty great as well.

Beware though, I hear some GPUs run it like shit, even if it should be strong enough. And it's not even specifically an AMD or Nvidia issue.

SO basically. This is THE version if unless you are unlucky and own one of the incompatible hardware setups.

EDIT: I should add that online actually works well. Which it fucking did not on the 360... Dunno if I just had bad luck or what, but I could not get invasions or summons to work on the xbox.

#7 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

The PS3 version had significant framerate drop in Blighttown, right?

Anyway the PC version chugs along at 30. If you're fine with 30, it's fine. I can tolerate it but it looks like shit in my opinion. With the resolution fix it looks okay, much much better then the console/standard PC version anyway. I get no framedrops what so ever. Some people are reporting low FPS since the game isn't tuned for PC and is next to nothing to run on modern hardware, making the cards use their power saving features and cutting performence, since the card thinks the game is just a video etc. Pretty stupid, but easily solved by setting to maxmimum performance settings in power settings in nVidias controlpanel (don't know the AMD solution) or simply just using a higher resolution with the resolution fix, making the game more demanding.

Oh and you need a controller, the game is unplayable with kbm.

#8 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

If it weren't for the occasional issues I have had with summoning, I'd call it perfect. The locked framerate alone puts this head and shoulders over the console versions, and the added content is actually really great. If you've already got a capable rig and you love Dark Souls, it's worth your forty bucks IMHO.

#9 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

If the high res mod works for the entire game then the PC version is far better instantly.

#10 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@jakob187
If those customers and yourself do own decent PCs, a controller, and can live with 30 FPS... they and you should totally pick it up. As soon as you compare the standard resolution (the way it looks on consoles) to the fixed one you will know you made the right decision. It's a completely different ball game. I didn't have any issues with GFWL, no crashes, no frame rate drops (i7 3770k, GTX 570), nothing that would speak against buying it.
 
But at the end of the day it's probably more important whether they/you really want to play that kind of game. ;)
 
 
@JJOR64 said:

@Hunkulese said:

@Fallen189 How is the PS3 version better?

The PS3 version was the lead platform for the game so it has less bugs, frame rate drops, etc.

That doesn't really make sense.  
 
The game runs at 30 FPS at all times on my PC and with the resolution fix it looks way better than the PS3 version. It plays exactly the same with a controller, looks better, and probably has either the same or less issues than the PS3 version.  
 
 
@RIDEBIRD: I agree when it comes to the low (30) FPS... the only way I can live with it is by sitting 2 meters (6 ½ feet) away from my monitor. But I guess we are in the minority when it comes to that.
#11 Edited by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

Been playing it on PC the last few days (no mods, but with controller) and I'm enjoying it more than my PS3 copy on the shelf. It's by no means a true PC version, but it still has quicker loading, runs better and looks better imo. Also, the ability to easily alt-tab between game and wiki is just amazing :P I think the best way to put it is: The PC version does in no way lack anything the console versions had.

(also, the ability to back up saves easily can be quite useful)

#12 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@Ares42 said:

Been playing it on PC the last few days (no mods, but with controller) and I'm enjoying it more than my PS3 copy on the shelf. It's by no means a true PC version, but it still has quicker loading, runs better and looks better imo. Also, the ability to easily alt-tab between game and wiki is just amazing :P I think the best way to put it is: The PC version does in no way lack anything the console versions had.

Oh man, install the resolution fix... it will blow your mind.
#13 Posted by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

@emem:I tried, it didn't cooperate with me. Think I might've put in some wrong parameters or something. But doesn't really matter having tons of fun with the game anyways

#14 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@Ares42: Hm alright. :)
#15 Posted by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

@emem: Hmm, went and fiddled with it again since I hadn't been giving it much thought and figured out what I did wrong, and christ.. now there's definitely no arguing which version looks better. Guess I'll have to see if I take a performance hit though, but sorta doubt it. Also, the splash-screen removal is awesome =D

#16 Posted by Fallen189 (4940 posts) -
@Hunkulese said:
@Fallen189 How is the PS3 version better?
It just plays better. I dont know what else to tell you, as I'm not a computer engineer, sorry!
#17 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@Ares42: Hehehe, nice.
#18 Posted by Hunkulese (2642 posts) -
@Fallen189 Why do you need to be an engineer? It's the same game but with higher resolution and a stable frame rate. I can't think of one noticible thing that would make the ps3 version better unless you don't have a controller.
#19 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@emem said:

The game runs at 30 FPS at all times on my PC and with the resolution fix it looks way better than the PS3 version. It plays exactly the same with a controller, looks better, and probably has either the same or less issues than the PS3 version.


@RIDEBIRD: I agree when it comes to the low (30) FPS... the only way I can live with it is by sitting 2 meters (6 ½ feet) away from my monitor. But I guess we are in the minority when it comes to that.

Yeah, seems like this is a game I'd want to plug my PC into my TV to play.

#20 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I guess my only next real question is this:

How is Blighttown?

I should also point out that my play time with the game up to this point has been on Xbox 360, and I found that version to be more than bearable to play. Some 200 hours later, I STILL want to play more...if only for the new content.

#21 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Hunkulese said:

@Fallen189 How is the PS3 version better?

The PS3 version was the lead platform for the game so it has less bugs, frame rate drops, etc.

The PC version has no bugs or issues that I have seen and is significantly smoother than the PS3 version was. I still don't understand how someone could say the PS3 version is superior to the PC version.

#22 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I guess my only next real question is this:

How is Blighttown?

I should also point out that my play time with the game up to this point has been on Xbox 360, and I found that version to be more than bearable to play. Some 200 hours later, I STILL want to play more...if only for the new content.

Blighttown is much better, but still has lag every now and then.

#23 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1384 posts) -

If you have a good PC to handle the resolution hack, then it is the best version. It's surprising how good the textures look (minus character models).

#24 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

@jakob187: If you tolerated the 360 version this will be like literally receiving a blowjob from your favorite most attractive person.

Literally

Ok not literally.

#25 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

It's great. I'm playing it for review and I would say it's better than the console versions, if, of course, you have a computer that can handle it. The Durante mod is super easy to use (simply go to the site, download it, and put the two files where the darksouls.exe file is), and makes the game look amazing and it doesn't even run any slower due to how the mod works. The whole GFWL thing is overblown because it never gets in the way and the only real thing it does is gives you Xbox achievements, which I count as a positive.

All in all the game is basically a better looking version of Dark Souls with a more consistent frame rate provided your computer is good enough. So, yes, the game PC version is definitely worth it, especially if you want to play the new content.

Lastly, there is an abundance of people playing considering the game just came out. So, I bet it's going to be easier to find people on the PC version than on the console versions.

#26 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Not great.

If you have an AMD card, you have an 80% chance of the game not working.

Blighttown works better, due to an increase in CPU power. Chasm of the Abyss has the same problem Blighttown did, which means that place is going to fucking CHUG on consoles.

GFWL, compounded with having to manually forward your ports, makes any online play a hassle.

The graphics have to be fixed with a fan-patch, otherwise they look shitawful.

The sound straight up DOES NOT WORK on Stereo, because FROM didn't realize that the PS3 and 360 have hardware that downsamples it should you not have a 5.1 setup.

Also, all the button prompts are on a 360 pad. Even if you don't have one plugged in. This would be like if the 360 version had the PS3 input prompts.

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Hrmm...

This has all been good advice and information to help me make a solid purchasing decision. I think I may hold off until there is a potential Steam sale and just pick up the DLC on the 360 when it finally comes out until that time arrives.

Thank you to everyone for the input. You seriously prove why this community is so damn incredible when it comes to finding purchasing advice.

#28 Posted by cannedstingray (387 posts) -

I have my pc plugged into my tv in the living room. That's how I play all of my games. I use a gamepad whenever possible. I find the game to be great on pc. I haven't tried the resolution fix yet. Although I will next week when I get back from Seattle. Anyway. With a gamepad and on a tv. It's friggin great just for The stable frame rate alone. The only issue I've had is mp not working very well. Summoning has been very hit or miss. I've been invaded a few times but I don't know if there have been other trying. P

#29 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Hunkulese said:

@Fallen189 How is the PS3 version better?

The PS3 version was the lead platform for the game so it has less bugs, frame rate drops, etc.

pc = no frame rate drops. But PS3 is the lead platform for it so it does have a small amount of bugs.

Overall i am pretty happy with pc version. So far 0 bugs and even with GFWL which took me an hour to get my info for it again as i dont use that POS network, I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I refuse to use Keyboard / mouse so I just plug in my ps3 controller, turn on motion joy and BAM! good to go

#30 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

its cool . the dlc itself isnt actually that much to write home about but it fits well into the game , overall the experience on pc has been great , but gfwl does seem to have soem minor issues with matchmaking or mabye its just congestion from everyone trying to use it at once , that said i have had plenty of positive experiences that were absent at ps3 launch , lots of spell synergy , drift items , other features that were buggy or broken altog ether until the first few patches etc. ive personally never seen any haxor invaders (some suspiciously well geared for a low lvl but its still in realm of legitimacy) and have had some pretty fun consecutive pvp and co-op antics

#31 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

The PC version's definitely the best if you have the proper setup. I have my computer connected to my TV, and the difference between PS3/360 and PC graphics is mindblowing. Just running at 1080p is a huge improvement. Dark Souls isn't a great port, but it doesn't have to be: it still runs better and plays better than the console versions, even if it's not as superior as it could be. If you have a decent system and an interest in Dark Souls, there is literally no reason to pick it up for anything but PC: it's simply the best way to play it, hands down.

#32 Edited by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

@jakob187: Just to add also, I thought the new DLC content was fucking awesome. All 4 of the new boss fights are as hard if not harder than any other boss in the game (Artorias especially), and they are all pretty unique to what's been on offer in the base game. The new armor/NPC's/and areas are really cool, and you get quite a bit of extra backstory on Oolacile and Artorias.

#33 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

You can't just say the PC version is best.

The PC version looks and runs significantly better (well, depends on your rig obviously), but the online is severely flawed which is a huge drawback in my opinion. Summoning people hardly works and despite running around in human form for hours, I got invaded once so far. People blame GFWL.

#34 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

You can't just say the PC version is best.

The PC version looks and runs significantly better (well, depends on your rig obviously), but the online is severely flawed which is a huge drawback in my opinion. Summoning people hardly works and despite running around in human form for hours, I got invaded once so far. People blame GFWL.

The summoning issues sound like the exact same thing I've experienced on the Xbox 360. It's incredibly poor. My friend and I have played the game sitting right next to each other, walking to the exact same spot, chalking the ground, and then just waiting and waiting forever to get summoned into the other's world. We can GET invaded with no problem, but we can rarely invade someone ourselves. It's incredibly iffy.

This being a GFWL game, it makes me think that it's just a flat-out Microsoft issue through their Live services, which is truly a bummer. Nonetheless, I typically play the game solo anyways, so it's not a huge dealbreaker for me. I just want the ability to walk through Blighttown without feeling like I have heroin flowing through my veins. Those frame rate issues were improved a lot with the last patch they had put out before all this, but even then...my farms for Green Titanite take FOR-EH-VER!

#35 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@CptBedlam said:

You can't just say the PC version is best.

The PC version looks and runs significantly better (well, depends on your rig obviously), but the online is severely flawed which is a huge drawback in my opinion. Summoning people hardly works and despite running around in human form for hours, I got invaded once so far. People blame GFWL.

The summoning issues sound like the exact same thing I've experienced on the Xbox 360. It's incredibly poor. My friend and I have played the game sitting right next to each other, walking to the exact same spot, chalking the ground, and then just waiting and waiting forever to get summoned into the other's world. We can GET invaded with no problem, but we can rarely invade someone ourselves. It's incredibly iffy.

This being a GFWL game, it makes me think that it's just a flat-out Microsoft issue through their Live services, which is truly a bummer. Nonetheless, I typically play the game solo anyways, so it's not a huge dealbreaker for me. I just want the ability to walk through Blighttown without feeling like I have heroin flowing through my veins. Those frame rate issues were improved a lot with the last patch they had put out before all this, but even then...my farms for Green Titanite take FOR-EH-VER!

There were online issues before the first patch on both consoles but since then, and as of now, the 360 version works WAY better than the PC version with the online stuff. I compared it myself and the PC version remindes me of vanilla console Dark Souls in that regard. Weirdly enough, in some other regards as well. For example, the skull lantern became a guaranteed drop from the necromancers with a certain patch and in the PC version it's like vanilla console version with the skull lantern not dropping at all. You have to pick it up down in the pit after Patches does his thing.

The issues that you're describing don't sound like issues. That's just how the online works... you get grouped together online with a bunch of players and you and your friend just happened to be in different groups. That's why you don't always see each others sign. If you lay down the sign again, it appears in a another group's game. Also, you don't see other signs if you laid down a sign yourself. So if both of you placed a summon sign at the same time, there's no way you guys could see each others sign.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.