How does Co-op work?

#1 Posted by roninenix (119 posts) -

Just as the title says, how does the Co-op play work on the PC version? I remember reading somewhere saying it has online match making for both Co-op and PVP, but I don't see that option in the menu system. Do you invite through steam friend's list or GFWL?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@roninenix said:

Just as the title says, how does the Co-op play work on the PC version? I remember reading somewhere saying it has online match making for both Co-op and PVP, but I don't see that option in the menu system. Do you invite through steam friend's list or GFWL?

If its the same you only have so much control over who comes into your game. Eaither way you have to be human for anything to happen. 
#3 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I presume it works the same as the console version in that random people can join your game at anytime for PVP and you can summon people through their soapstone marks if you see them. There's no direct way to play with a specific person. So you have to go through some annoying lengths to play with a friend.

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (4939 posts) -

I dont think its changed much from the real version, so I'll explain best I can 

There are two forms in the game. Hollowed and Human. Both allow different variations of player interaction: 

Hollowed- When you are hollowed, you can place down a white soapstone sign and be summoned into other another players game. Due to the way servers work, and with each covenant allowing different interactions, this is how you meet other players. 

Human: When you are in human form, you see white soapstones placed down by other players. You can summon them into your game, and they will help you defeat the next boss. Once the boss is dead, they vanish back into their own world with souls and other goodies. 

The description you gave sounds very deceptive. Good luck, hunter of demons!

#5 Posted by roninenix (119 posts) -

@Fallen189: @mscupcakes: @The_Laughing_Man: I get that the players invading worlds and being human still being the same, but in the list of new content/systems in the prepare to die edition has matchmaking for co-op and PVP as one of the new stuff.

#6 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

I think the matchmaking only applies to a specific part of one of the DLC areas. There's apparently a PVP arena that allows you to do 1v1, 2v2, or 4 player free for all.

Regular co-op works the same as the console versions. You have to be human, the boss has to be alive in the host's world in order to be summoned, and you have to be within 10 or so levels with each other in order to see the other player's summoning sign.

#7 Posted by Tesla (1905 posts) -

It sounds counterintuitive, but the obtuse nature of the co-op/pvp is essential to the game experience.

This would be an insane thing to say about 99% of games, but with Dark Souls you just have to trust the game designers. Everything is in service of immersion. To me, jumping through hoops to play with friends is fruitless because after all that work, you are left in a small segment of the game map to do 5 - 20 minutes of work before you dispatch the boss.

You never see people bow respectfully to each other in games with voice chat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.