Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

How does it compare to the original Demon's Souls?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've almost finished Dark Souls (up to the final boss fight, just doing some other side stuff now), but I feel as though I've overloaded on Dark Souls and don't really feel up to doing a NG+ (perhaps later). I do kind of want to try out Demon's Souls, but am wondering if there were mechanics in Demon's Souls that sent people up the wall out of frustration that were fixed in Dark Souls?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

@adequatelyprepared: There are some mechanics that were changed in Dark Souls(encumbrance, the effects of humanity, and healing, for example), but really, they're just markers of being different over necessarily being worse. Going to Demon's Souls from Dark Souls is not a difficult transition, and you'll get used to its quirks in no time.

A lot of fans can probably give you a huge rundown of every difference, but you're better off just seeing it as a slightly different Souls game. It's actually more similar to Dark Souls than a lot of people think when they hear about it. Just give it a shot!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I found the transition to be fairly smooth since my starting weapon in Demon's Souls had the same attack animations as my finishing weapon in Dark Souls. They aren't that different in any aspect.

Blackblacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blackblacky

Have your heard about Deep down for ps4? It looks like Dark souls too. I am waiting for my ps4. I bought this game))

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

DMS has a faster feel and has generic, unlimited healing items versus the more structured estrus system. It is also "darker" and more linear, whereas DKS to me seems a little more fantastical and Metroidvania inspired.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@blackblacky:

Prepare to be disappointed, if you want it to be the same game. I don't have any insight, but the arcade feel of the combating videos and the free to play nature of DD make me really skeptical. DD could still end up being good, but it'll probably be in ways other than Souls.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@adequatelyprepared: Combat wise its mostly the same. Although in Demons's souls there isn't a dropping attack nor can you jump. There is also the change that to heal you're actively using finite healing consumables instead of a flask with infinite refills. Other big changes are obviously the world tendency system also as far as I remember there are no covenants either in Demon's Souls.

On the bright side there are way more things you can do with the boss souls. You can create weapons or you can also trade boss souls for exclusive spells you can't get any other way to a specific NPC you can save later on.

Also, no checkpoints. You respawn at archstones and the only archstones that appear are new boss rooms when you kill a new boss.

Id give it a go but also keep in mind Dark Souls II is coming out and if you dont want to burn yourself out on souls games you might also want to wait until sometime in the summer. Play it though

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were to make an analogy: Demon's Souls is to Diablo II as to what Dark Souls is to Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. Both games are similar enough, but the successor includes miniscule changes to the game that ultimately make it a bit more different.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the great responses guys, if I see it, I'll buy it, but I'm thinking of picking up Dragon's Dogma instead to scratch that Action-RPG itch, at least until Dark Souls II comes out (Or KH 2.5 HD Remix).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world tendency system is the main really stupid thing in Demon's Souls that isn't in Dark Souls; so just look it up (though if you're playing online it doesn't really matter). Everything else is pretty straightforward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.