Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

How I feel about Dark Souls: Coming Soon!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'm going to be writing up a probably pretty hefty blog post about my experience as a fresh faced Dark Souls player. I'd basically played enough to get the feel of things on various visits with the gang and the like, but the PC version is the first time I've owned or really seriously played the game, and I feel like it's important to measure this game over time, because I am honestly a little sick of people insisting I'm wrong about this thing or that being a lot less "fair in it's difficulty" than a lot would say everything in Dark Souls is, just because they did it 30 times in a single night working on whatever 4chan joke build they were making.

But man, it's really getting it's hooks into me. I get really into it for a lengthy play session, and then something comes along that I just don't want to deal with that night and I move on to other things until the next day, work through my frustration (sometimes to the game's fault, sometimes just 'cause it's pretty hard), and get back into it. I'm not following any builds or anything, but I am getting occasional help from friend on Skype, when we're chatting in there.

I also can't get any phantoms into my world other than the NPCs, probably because ports are a thing that are awful, so that's been frustrating, especially seeing how easy something like the Gargoyles or Capra were with human help (very). It was fun to help out my buddy but it's a bummer that I don't seem to be able to get help in return.

Anyway, that'll be going up soon. Feel free to put any thing you'd like to get my opinion on or cover in the comments.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'm going to be writing up a probably pretty hefty blog post about my experience as a fresh faced Dark Souls player. I'd basically played enough to get the feel of things on various visits with the gang and the like, but the PC version is the first time I've owned or really seriously played the game, and I feel like it's important to measure this game over time, because I am honestly a little sick of people insisting I'm wrong about this thing or that being a lot less "fair in it's difficulty" than a lot would say everything in Dark Souls is, just because they did it 30 times in a single night working on whatever 4chan joke build they were making.

But man, it's really getting it's hooks into me. I get really into it for a lengthy play session, and then something comes along that I just don't want to deal with that night and I move on to other things until the next day, work through my frustration (sometimes to the game's fault, sometimes just 'cause it's pretty hard), and get back into it. I'm not following any builds or anything, but I am getting occasional help from friend on Skype, when we're chatting in there.

I also can't get any phantoms into my world other than the NPCs, probably because ports are a thing that are awful, so that's been frustrating, especially seeing how easy something like the Gargoyles or Capra were with human help (very). It was fun to help out my buddy but it's a bummer that I don't seem to be able to get help in return.

Anyway, that'll be going up soon. Feel free to put any thing you'd like to get my opinion on or cover in the comments.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

I'm looking forward to your write up. I just like the game so much I find reading about other people's experiences with it interesting. It really is something special. As for difficulty I found there were only a few spots in the game that I found sort of cheap but overall I love the difficulty. Few games make you feel like you are actually getting better at playing it the way Dark Souls does. By the end of my playthrough I felt like a boss.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bocam

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I am honestly a little sick of people insisting I'm wrong about this thing or that being a lot less "fair in it's difficulty" than a lot would say everything in Dark Souls is, just because they did it 30 times in a single night working on whatever 4chan joke build they were making.

I don't get what you're saying here.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Sbaitso
    @Bocam

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I am honestly a little sick of people insisting I'm wrong about this thing or that being a lot less "fair in it's difficulty" than a lot would say everything in Dark Souls is, just because they did it 30 times in a single night working on whatever 4chan joke build they were making.

I don't get what you're saying here.

Yeah, neither do I. You should try reading it out loud to yourself or something.
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@laserbolts said:

I'm looking forward to your write up. I just like the game so much I find reading about other people's experiences with it interesting. It really is something special. As for difficulty I found there were only a few spots in the game that I found sort of cheap but overall I love the difficulty. Few games make you feel like you are actually getting better at playing it the way Dark Souls does. By the end of my playthrough I felt like a boss.

I'm liking it a lot. I wish there was more worthwhile loot, seems like a lot of it is trash, and infuriatingly close to being better than what I have, but that's actually kind of cool because that's kinda how most weapons are. They all hurt pretty bad when they hit. Still, more loot'd be nice. I'm still rocking knight armor and a claymore which is pretty much what I've had the whole game. Or me it's less cheap and more janky. Things like getting caught on geometry or anything to do with fighting on uneven ground. Stabbing that boar in the ass is just plain stupid, in fact all back stabbing seems pretty dumb to me, I've done it maybe once on the PC? Not counting the boar, where all I was doing was landing my sword right in his ass from right behind him and getting nothing for whatever reason.

@Sbaitso: @Bocam: Which bit?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.