Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

I don't think I'm good at video games. Will I like Dark Souls?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

I want to play an RPG/open-world-game to hold me over until Skyrim comes out, and was hoping that Dark Souls might fill that void. However, being someone who is perhaps not very good at video games, I'm slightly concerned that this game might be too much for me. Is it something I can learn to get good at, or will I just feel like I wasted my money on a game that I'm incapable of enjoying?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

I'm pretty bad and I'm still having fun

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Bosses might give you a hard time, most of the normal enemies have set patterns you can learn in time tho.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

I think it's more about patience and a calculated approach than simple skill in terms of reaction time (which I think you mean when you say "not good at video games")

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By McShank

No, you will not. This games takes time to learn. Takes patience that most people dont seem to have. Once you learn it, it is fun. Till then, you will get angry constantly and think the game is to hard or that its cheating.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a different kind of difficult than most games. If you have patience and don't get frustrated too easily I think you could probably handle it.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Cwaff

Took me a few hours to get into it but now I'm really enjoying myself and it's really rewarding. I want to play more right now but I should probably get some sleep...

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FreakAche

@CaLe said:

Why are you not good at video games? I don't understand at all, I just don't get that.

I just feel like my reflexes are slower than the average gamer. I can play through the campaigns of most games, sometimes even venturing up to the higher difficulties, but I always do terrible in competitive games.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jozzy

@FreakAche said:

@CaLe said:

Why are you not good at video games? I don't understand at all, I just don't get that.

I just feel like my reflexes are slower than the average gamer. I can play through the campaigns of most games, sometimes even venturing up to the higher difficulties, but I always do terrible in competitive games.

Lightning fast reflexes have left me about 10 years ago, and I can handle this game fine. Just hide behind your shield patiently and wait for an opening to strike. Surprisingly I don't think this game is very frustrating at all, if you are careful you will never lose big amount of time/souls and the combat feels so good that it's fun playing sections over a couple of times.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @FreakAche said:

@CaLe said:

For bosses co op and summoning is a must. Other than that I would say you will still have fun. Just know that this game takes a lot of patience, I mean walking down a hall instead of running and inspecting every bit of scenery for somethin to help your journey.
    Avatar image for handle_maverick
    handle_maverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By handle_maverick

@FreakAche said:

@CaLe said:

I feel EXACTLY the same way. In fact I very rarely manage to complete games on higher difficulties. A work colleague keeps going on at me to get Dark Souls, and while I reckon I could probably get enjoyment from it if I had the time to invest I only really have time to play games that set their pleasure threshold a little lower. If I get too frustrated with games (and from everything I've read about Dark Souls, it hands out punishment like candy on Halloween) I tend to leave them by the wayside and hate myself for spending money on something that persists in torturing me. I'm a simple man with simple needs!

Still, if other people have the patience I say go for it.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By James_ex_machina

Rent if possible.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Shady

Honestly, this game does have a lot of bad design decisions that lead to a lot of the games frustrations. Depending on your level of tolerance, you'll either put up with it and learn to enjoy the game or abandon it for greener pastures. I really do like the game, but I won't deny that unlike Demon's Souls this game has a lot more of what made King's Field a flawed series.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nadril

This game is mostly learning patterns and such rather than reflexes. There may be a few boss fights where reflexes come into order (to dodge in time) but it isn't that demanding to be honest.  

Make no mistake it is a difficult game and if you have a low patience for this sort of thing you probably won't have a fun time. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.