I feel like my progression is all over the place...

#1 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Like the title says, the way I'm staggering around the world of Dark Souls I feel like perhaps I'm not- as the kids say- "doin' it right". I've gone from Undead Burg, to the Parish, to Lower Undead Burg, to Darkroot Garden, and now I'm in the Depths. Bosses killed have been Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Capra Demon, and the Moonlight Butterfly.

Is it advisable I be in the Depths now? I'm about level 26 and, honestly... the only reason I ask is because I'm kinda scared in the Depths. Frickin' slimes dropping on my head! Giant rats that I know I'm gonna have to face?! Fuck this place! If I can't handle this place... I don't wanna be here!

Please, Giant Soulers. Am I doing this right?

#2 Posted by MetalBaofu (1411 posts) -

Yeah...that's more or less the path I took. And, after I finished the depths I went through Sen's Fortress.

#3 Edited by Crazyheaven (6 posts) -

You are not alone my friend. I am in the same place you are. Standing at the entrance to the depths. The sad thing is that I know I can't take a lot of hits and rats are extremely deadly to me so the very thought of going into the sewer just doesn't seem bright.

Funny story. I checked that first room from the door. I looked at the ground.. the walls... part of the ceiling(not the entire ceiling!) and figured something was going to run out the tunnel after me. So I figured I would sneak up and grab the shiny and then boom... it came from above and not from the tunnel... on top of my head.

#4 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@metalhead87:

Don't you have to ring the bell in Blighttown to get into Sen's Fortress?

I ask this only because I have no idea where the hell Blighttown is.

#5 Posted by JTMosh (259 posts) -

Wait 'till you see the frogs.

#6 Posted by bybeach (4893 posts) -

Abandon all hope, All Ye who do engage this Accursed video game.... Thy souls shall be torn asunder from thee and you will be Hollowed

Hollow inside..

Hollow inside.

#7 Edited by MetalBaofu (1411 posts) -

@ImperiousRix said:

@metalhead87:

Don't you have to ring the bell in Blighttown to get into Sen's Fortress?

I ask this only because I have no idea where the hell Blighttown is.

Yeah, you do. I got the depths and Blighttown mixed up there. I went to Blighttown after the depths, then Sen's Fortress. The entrance I took into Blighttown is near a merchant in the depths, btw.

#8 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Crazyheaven:

Yeah, I utterly freaked out when the slime dropped on my head. I spammed all the buttons and wiggled all the sticks to get it off of me, and thankfully I survived. Now I usually look up whenever I enter a new hallway, but I hate how damn long the slimes take to kill. They don't seem to really attack, so I'm wondering if I should just run past them at this point.

#9 Posted by mason (263 posts) -

Yeah you're totally on the right track. Sorry. And slimes are the least of your troubles. All I'll say is, watch your step.

More adventurous types will explore other areas, but most people go to the Capra Demon and then Depths after they're done with with the first bell. That's where the story is telling you to go anyway. You're supposed to head down, down, down to find the second bell.

I'm level 46 and still haven't gotten around to the butterfly. Too much else that needed doing.

#10 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@ImperiousRix: Actually the Depths aren't too bad once you've memorized the layout (the place only seems like a maze at first glance). I go down there regularly for farming humanity from rats.

But yeah, it's the first real "I don't wanna be there" level you encounter. However, there are more levels like that in the game that are way worse.

#11 Posted by Crazyheaven (6 posts) -

@mason said:

Yeah you're totally on the right track. Sorry. And slimes are the least of your troubles. All I'll say is, watch your step.

More adventurous types will explore other areas, but most people go to the Capra Demon and then Depths after they're done with with the first bell. That's where the story is telling you to go anyway. You're supposed to head down, down, down to find the second bell.

I'm level 46 and still haven't gotten around to the butterfly. Too much else that needed doing.

I kind of got lost on the way to the first bell tower. Took a wrong turn and found the butterfly. Oh know... that was one huge detour. I get lost very often in this game.

#12 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Crazyheaven: Happened to me, too. I wrongly tried to do the New Londo Ruins and the catacombs behind the graveyard several times before I finally found the way into the Depths. Fought and beat the hydra as well before heading down towards the second bell.

#13 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

RATS. SLIMES. POTENTIALLY WORSE THINGS?

FUCK THIS GAME

#14 Posted by Mariek430 (409 posts) -

You're on the right track pretty much. Few things to keep in mind to help you die less as you get to one of the more annoying areas in the game(blightown)

As the other guy said, avoid the frogs, or kill them quick. They curse you that halves your hp, and the first application of it will outright kill you

The undead lady merchant where the shortcut from depths to firelink sells purging stones that will cure it, IIRC

As with most, if not all "annoying" subbosses, the giant rat can be outplayed by simply firing arrows at it through the ironbars where you first see it, but cant fight it toe to toe.

They're expensive but it's not a bad idea to keep a good stock of poison arrows around. Most mobs take roughly 3 shots to poison(not sure if it's based on your dex, mine is only enough to equip the shortbow), the undead lady sells em, 50 per arrow, I think

If you have the masterkey you can avoid the worst part of blighttown by going down past the firemaiden in firelink, into new londo, then valley of the drakes, to blighttown shortcut, it nearly puts you at the boss for blighttown. You'll miss out on some loot, but you can always come back for it later.

#15 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:

FUCK THIS GAME

How about albino rats and slimes with shields and spears?  Ok I lied there are no slimes with shields and spears.  This isn't demon souls.
#16 Posted by Stefanten (55 posts) -

You can also drop down to a hidden area that places you right above the giant rat (in a perfect position to spam it with projectiles, since it can't harm you from there). It's located behind the first butcher, with a few boxes covering it up. Oh, and avoid those googly eyed frogs by any means necesscary. Fuck those things.

#17 Edited by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

Jesus, whats with all these dark souls posts.

#18 Posted by BottleShip (12 posts) -

Quick Tip:

Doing a plunging attack on that giant rat kills it instantly

#19 Posted by Stefanten (55 posts) -

@Rudyftw: It's a good game that doesn't explain shit about anything so people come to forums for guidance.

#20 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Mariek430:

Sadly, I don't have a super-high DEX. I can use a bow, but I don't do much damage and don't keep it stocked with anything but the cheapest arrows (since I only use it to draw out enemies, and not for damage). I do have a handful of Fire Arrows that I picked up from the Undead Merchant lady, but I'll probably just try to take out the Giant Rat with my Halberd...

#21 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

@Stefanten said:

@Rudyftw: It's a good game that doesn't explain shit about anything so people come to forums for guidance.

Still. Shouldn't there be a Dark Souls forum, or at least 1 good guidance forum... Im just sayin.

#22 Posted by MentalDisruption (1642 posts) -

If you're scared of the depths, just wait til you get to blight town.

@Rudyftw said:

@Stefanten said:

Still. Shouldn't there be a Dark Souls forum, or at least 1 good guidance forum... Im just sayin.

This is a Dark Souls forum. It's not like these are being posted in general discussion or anything.

#23 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@MentalDisruption said:

If you're scared of the depths, just wait til you get to blight town.

@Rudyftw said:

@Stefanten said:

This is a Dark Souls forum. It's not like these are being posted in general discussion or anything.

Yeah, I'm sorry I made a brand new topic just for this buuuut... the Dark Souls forum are a little scatter-shot. It's tough to find exactly what you want, so I figured since there are a ton of people running through this forum all the time, I'd be able to find an answer faster this way.

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ImperiousRix: Blobs are great for farming green titanite and large shards of titanite. I'm currently doing this. You can get to a great soul grinding area by buying the seal of astoria from the parish blacksmith for 20000 souls. You'll make that back in 10 minutes after you unlock the gate in darkroot garden.
#25 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

WELP, finished up the Depths today. I got cursed... just like I feared I would. The lizards weren't too bad, and though they were a little bit startling when I first ran into them, I didn't find them scary, per se.

I stubbornly fought the Gaping Dragon whilst cursed, too, so I it took me more times to defeat him than I'd like to admit. Boss was damn easy, I just couldn't be hit even once or I'd be dead. Managed to finally take him down, though. Then ran back to the Undead Merchant to pick up a Purging Stone (also freed the Pyromancer dude on the way there), so everything's good.

I guess Blighttown is next?

#26 Edited by James5955 (70 posts) -

Yah, on both of my characters I ventured into the Depths in my mid 20's.

Edit: Yup Blighttown..

#27 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@James5955:

Yeh, I think I'm Level 31 right now, with STR being in the high 20s (as my main stat). I just got the Pyromancer flame, so I'm actually tempted to try and unlock an Attunement slot to equip it, but Leveling is taking so many souls at this point, I don't know if I wanna chance screwing up my character.

#28 Posted by James5955 (70 posts) -

In my opinion having at least 1 slot for magic is vital. Without magic certain parts of the game would've been significantly more difficult, on my warrior I only got attunement to 10 so I could have one spell (Fireorb). Upgraded my Pyromancers Flame to +15 (that took awhile, helping people with Gaping Dragon a lot) and ever since then it's been like having 6 ridiculously strong firebombs at my disposal, that refuel at each bonfire. It's a good investment imo.

#29 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:

@James5955:

Yeh, I think I'm Level 31 right now, with STR being in the high 20s (as my main stat). I just got the Pyromancer flame, so I'm actually tempted to try and unlock an Attunement slot to equip it, but Leveling is taking so many souls at this point, I don't know if I wanna chance screwing up my character.

@James5955 said:

In my opinion having at least 1 slot for magic is vital. Without magic certain parts of the game would've been significantly more difficult, on my warrior I only got attunement to 10 so I could have one spell (Fireorb). Upgraded my Pyromancers Flame to +15 (that took awhile, helping people with Gaping Dragon a lot) and ever since then it's been like having 6 ridiculously strong firebombs at my disposal, that refuel at each bonfire. It's a good investment imo.

That pyromancer guy who guys are talking about is the guy in the barrels huh?... I hit him... not on purpose, 
#30 Posted by James5955 (70 posts) -

Yup, that sucks.

#31 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@James5955 said:

Yup, that sucks.

Yea.. i'm not a magic person, i was 13hours in and I thought 'well that sucks, but i ain't restarting now!'
#32 Edited by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@MrCandleguy:

Yeh, I was really worried when I saw him in the barrel because I knew I was supposed to break it to free him, but that I'd likely hurt him if I just went and stabbed it with my Halberd. So instead, I disarmed myself and used the kick to break the barrel. Didn't hurt him and now I've got him at the Bonfire.

But for some reason... I have no idea where this mute girl who "upgrades" your Estus Flask is. I've really never seen her. O.O

#33 Edited by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@ImperiousRix:   
I was thinking that i would just roll through the barrels, but nope, swinging with the drake sword seemed like a much better idea... 

next to that guy sitting on the rock at the very first bonfire, the guy who is kind of a dick. walk to your left (when facing him), and there is a small curved pathway, she is down there behind some bars. 
hope that helps!
#34 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@MrCandleguy:

Cool, thanks. I stopped playing at Firelink Shrine, so I'll be sure to check once I get back in...

#35 Posted by Underwhelmed (44 posts) -

@ImperiousRix: Dark Souls is less about what you "should" do and more about what you "can" do.

#36 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@Underwhelmed:

I've definitely figured that out.

Like at one point early on, I made my way into Darkroot Basin and was doing jack shit to the first enemy I ran into. I was forced to retreat back into Undead Burg because I literally COULDN'T do anything there.

But hey, I took out the Gaping Dragon whilst cursed and with a blunt weapons, so maybe I'm doing alright...

#37 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Sweet Jesus, people were not kidding about Blighttown. That place is horrendous, and the fact that the frame rate slows down every other second does not help things at all. I may need to take an extended break from this game...

#38 Posted by AlisterCat (5629 posts) -

I feel pretty much the same way. Am I meant to go back to areas? There are loads of enemies on the way to the parish that I couldn't kill and had to find a way around. Especially that dragon on the bridge.

#39 Posted by Wasara88 (332 posts) -

I went from the undead burg to the parish, but didn't go to the roof to ring to bell and instead i foolishly tried to fight the boss near the blacksmith and after failing at that i went to the depths and got my ass cursed and then encountered gaping dragon and got butchered. Then defeated the capra demon, and from that point on i farmed for souls and tried to find a way to get the curse lifted.

Now that i'm no longer cursed i rang the bell, killed the gaping dragon and killed off my first invader in blighttown...what a nice place that is.

#40 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

i dunno .. i found the capra demon guarding the depths key to be harsher than anything in the depths ... those slimes are a good early farming spot for large titanite shards , rats are good for humanity .. ahh the depths is almost cozy:D

its also where i met my first NPC black phantom , kirk the armor roll troll

#41 Posted by GioVANNI (1288 posts) -

I cheated my progression. I've only beaten the Gargoyles, Capra demon, and Gaping dragon but I'm level 51 from farming a shit ton of souls.

#42 Edited by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@ImperiousRix said:

FUCK THIS GAME

How about albino rats and slimes with shields and spears? Ok I lied there are no slimes with shields and spears. This isn't demon souls.

but there are slime looking things with shields and spears with faces in the painted world?!? The faces make this Dark Souls, since slimes in demon had no faces.

#43 Posted by WonderboyCoz (153 posts) -

@Mariek430: wait, the giant rat was a sub-boss? I killed it in one plunge attack. Even easier than the Basin Hydra

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.