I have beaten Dark Souls and am on my second play through, AMA.

#1 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

So yea, title says it all. I have beaten the game and I am playing through it a second time. Ask me anything. Sorry if this thread has been made before.

[Spoilers depending on questions]

#2 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -

How many hours did it take for you to finish your first playthrough? Roughly how long would a play session last?

What drives you to playthrough a second time?

I haven't played the game, I'm just fascinated by it.

#3 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@jessej07: I believe my character playtime ended just at about 60 hours. Play sessions were about 6-12 hours depending on the day (currently unemployed)

I want to play through the second time because npc's have died and I did not craft all the "demon" weapons. Secondly, this subsequent playthrough has scaled up the difficulty.

#4 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

Also feel free to ask questions about boss strategies, general help, or story elements. I think I have accrued quite a bit of knowledge...

#5 Posted by Tumbler (161 posts) -

What class/strat/weapons were you/did you use?

I'm a sorcerer and enjoying the game a lot, I'm anxious to play the game again as a melee character and use all the different weapons. What are you playing on your second play through

#6 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@Tumbler: I started out as a wanderer because I liked that it started out at lvl 1. I used spears a lot, until I got the Iaito Sword. I liked the way it felt and it scaled with dex.

I also used pyromancy because it does not scale with int and faith, which I put 0 stats into.

And when I say playing through again, I mean New game+

#7 Posted by RetroVirus (1479 posts) -

What advice would you give to someone looking to play this game, other than have patience? Is there helpful way of thinking about the game?

#8 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@RetroVirus: The game designers have obvious tricks that you can figure out from playing the game a bit.

1. If you are going through a narrow passage to an open room, check your sides/corners. They love to hide dudes on your sides.

2. Big dude with a shield is a very valid way to play the game. If you stick enough stats into endurance you can block your way through the game.

3. Magic is actually pretty great, also all melee characters should check out pyromancy as it is a great compliment to your character. (some bosses weak to magic)

4. Lastly? Don't stress too much. No challenge is too great, and everyone has been there before. Chances are there is someone else out there who is currently where you are and is also stuck. Try going human and getting a white soulsign person to come in and help you.

#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Did you kill Ornstein or Smough first and are you going to try to kill the other one this time to get their armor/soul.

#10 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

Where do i take the special demon souls to get a their weapons? Oh and also what do i need to bring to them along with the soul.

#11 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@RetroVirus said:

What advice would you give to someone looking to play this game, other than have patience? Is there helpful way of thinking about the game?

Be patient. Go into fights not thinking you know everything they can do, but rather "What can they do that i have not yet seen?" First playthrough is the learning curve while every other playthrough is to perfect your stat build, item build, gear and so forth.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :D And for 60 hours for your playthrough? Damn, I am just not going into the painted world, catacombs and new londo and I am almost 70 hours.. But i do farm alot and have explored everywhere possible atm.

#12 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: I killed Ornstein first because he was constantly up in my face, and yes I do plan on switching the order this time around.

#13 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@UnrealDP: The last blacksmith you meet is in Anor Londo. He is a big giant. He can make the weapons if you have the soul and a lvl 10 weapon that fits it. I have a chaos blade that I made out of the Iatio blade that I had been using.

#14 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Where do i take the special demon souls to get a their weapons? Oh and also what do i need to bring to them along with the soul.

I can answer this.

There is a giant blacksmith in Anor Londo up the staircase to the left of Orenstein and Smough's room. You need to bring the soul and specific +10 weapon that it upgrades. For instance Moonlight Butterfly upgrades a +10 shield and Gwyndolin upgrades a +10 bow.

#15 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: @Blakemcm:

Cool thanks guys!

#16 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

What was your build by end game? How did you go about fighting the final boss in terms of attack style? What covenant did you go with in the end?

Most people I ask say Gold-Hemmed Black Clothes. Which is understandable considering it's some of the best light armor in the game.

#17 Edited by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

What was your build by end game? How did you go about fighting the final boss in terms of attack style? What covenant did you go with in the end?

Most people I ask say Gold-Hemmed Black Clothes. Which is understandable considering it's some of the best light armor in the game.

I was using the chaos blade and the Black Knight Shield. I was wearing full Eastern Armor. And I parried the last boss down like a champ, after dying 10 times. I ended the game being the princesses guard. But I shopped around like 5 covenants by then.

Edit: With the covenant thing, lets say mistakes were made with some of the others...

#18 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@Blakemcm: Also I just bought Dead Rising 2, what am I getting myself into?

#19 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Blakemcm: Also I just bought Dead Rising 2, what am I getting myself into?

Heh, I think I am just gonna have to keep skipping that game...

#20 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

I read AMA as Against Medical Advice. In hindsight, it applies quite well.

#21 Posted by johe0 (66 posts) -

So I've beaten Nito, The Four Kings, and Seath and the door still won't open, who am I missing?

#22 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@PulledaBrad said:

I read AMA as Against Medical Advice. In hindsight, it applies quite well.

lol... should I change the title?

#23 Posted by Oni (2104 posts) -

Did you manage to kill Super Saiyan Ornstein on NG+? Cuz I'm on NG+ and going to attempt that, so tips would be welcome.

#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6338 posts) -

Apart from the weapons you haven't crafted and the scaling of the enemies, do you feel your second playthrough has/will continue to have significant differences? Are you still discovering tactics or areas/angles of attack or different loot?

#25 Posted by Lrrr (13 posts) -

Beat it last night with 40 hours on the clock. Great game, cant wait for my NG+'s

#26 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

@Oni: In my opinion Ornstein is incredibly easy in his mega version.

You can cheese him like the giant knights by poking at his legs because he only has three options from there that aren't his basic attacks: a) the lightning stab, which has bad enough tracking that staying under him will avoid it entirely, b) the lightning stomp, which can be seen easily and avoided incredibly easily by backstepping/rolling (it only goes about a spear poke away from him), or c) the tickle-like sweep that does like 1% of your stamina bar on block, pushes him almost nowhere, and has a billion frames of recovery. Plus, his lightning from range is super easy to avoid by just strafing, and his basic attacks are dumb and simple to see.

It will be a very long and patient fight, but with time you will get great rewards (his armor is really good and his spear is a fantastic dex build weapon that opens up shield and faith paths as well). Or, you can grind a +10 pyro flame and fire orb/fireball and kill him in like 1 minute after Smough dies.

#27 Posted by MoKhatib (4 posts) -

Hey man I could really use some help on the FourKings 2nd play through they're just impossible,

any tips?

#28 Posted by simpliztik (42 posts) -

How much PvP experience do you have?

Have you ever died in PvP? If so, why? (other than being outnumbered)

Is a dex/pyro caster effective in PvP?

Yeahh I'm obsessed with PvP. I won three invasions with my strength/faith build and thinking of making another character but with dex/pyro stats. Pyromancy sounds deadly in this game.

#29 Edited by bkbroiler (1636 posts) -

Are there any other stats that matter with shields other than the resists? IE 100% phys resist and fire, etc. Right now I'm using the Eagle greatshield and apart from the better resists I don't see what makes it any better than another shield.

Is there a straight up "defense" stat for them?

#30 Posted by MoKhatib (4 posts) -

guys help with four kings please

#31 Posted by SirDancelot (80 posts) -

@MoKhatib: I suited up in full Havel's Armor Set complete with shield, had a good 20 charges on my +4 Estus and used my Black Knight Halberd. Just focused down each of the kings, can block most attacks fairly easily, and circle/strafe away from the grab. Having high poise allows you to basically avoid major interrupts if the others come in close enough to hit you, but if you keep the one you're wearing down targeted, you can circle him to put the other enemies behind him, and they'll tend to just hang out instead of attacking you all that much. Just wear down one target at a time, try to keep them interposed between you and the new ones that spawn, and run back enough to heal if necessary.

#32 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@johe0: @johe0 said:

So I've beaten Nito, The Four Kings, and Seath and the door still won't open, who am I missing?

The last one you are missing is the heart of chaos. It is located down after you kill ceaseless discharge and the lava clears out some. It is just past quelaag or however you spell that. The place where you wrung the second bell.

#33 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@Oni: @Oni said:

Did you manage to kill Super Saiyan Ornstein on NG+? Cuz I'm on NG+ and going to attempt that, so tips would be welcome.

So sad story, I wasn't paying the most attention when that fight came around the second time... and I ended up killing it in the same order I did the first time. Ornstein is just up in my grill when its the both of them.

#34 Posted by MoKhatib (4 posts) -

@SirDancelot said:

@MoKhatib: I suited up in full Havel's Armor Set complete with shield, had a good 20 charges on my +4 Estus and used my Black Knight Halberd. Just focused down each of the kings, can block most attacks fairly easily, and circle/strafe away from the grab. Having high poise allows you to basically avoid major interrupts if the others come in close enough to hit you, but if you keep the one you're wearing down targeted, you can circle him to put the other enemies behind him, and they'll tend to just hang out instead of attacking you all that much. Just wear down one target at a time, try to keep them interposed between you and the new ones that spawn, and run back enough to heal if necessary.

Dude you don't understand, I have my Have's armor on with a 474 demon spear strength Artorias Great Shield and a 45 endurance, bare in mind this is the 2nd playthrough they're driving me nutts :(

#35 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: @HistoryInRust said:

Apart from the weapons you haven't crafted and the scaling of the enemies, do you feel your second playthrough has/will continue to have significant differences? Are you still discovering tactics or areas/angles of attack or different loot?

I have discovered 2 areas that I never went to (I chose to play through the first game blind to the internet). I am trying to join the covenants that I missed the first time.

But I have learned to not be afraid of parrying. If you get good at it you get good at the game.

#36 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@MoKhatib: @MoKhatib said:

Hey man I could really use some help on the FourKings 2nd play through they're just impossible,

any tips?

I haven't gotten there yet sadly, I have just been farming up like a crazy person. But 2 handing a weapon and killing them as fast as possible was the ticket the first time...

#37 Posted by MoKhatib (4 posts) -

Iron Flesh is the answer to FourKings 2nd playthrough :)

#38 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@bkbroiler: @bkbroiler said:

Are there any other stats that matter with shields other than the resists? IE 100% phys resist and fire, etc. Right now I'm using the Eagle greatshield and apart from the better resists I don't see what makes it any better than another shield.

Is there a straight up "defense" stat for them?

No not really, the percentages will take off the origional damage, then it is up to your armor and personal resistances to do the rest of the damage mitigation.

The only real differences in shields are the shield types that determine their weight and parry/ram properties.

#39 Posted by Blakemcm (18 posts) -

@simpliztik: @simpliztik said:

How much PvP experience do you have?

Have you ever died in PvP? If so, why? (other than being outnumbered)

Is a dex/pyro caster effective in PvP?

Yeahh I'm obsessed with PvP. I won three invasions with my strength/faith build and thinking of making another character but with dex/pyro stats. Pyromancy sounds deadly in this game.

PVP is why I play videogames =).

I have done a lot of pvp, it seems that the hot spot is the farming forest. If you are in the book of the guilty and are running around in the forest and not in the hunter covenant, you get engaged a ton. I have been grinding a lot and my level is a bit high now, so I haven't been in a lot of fights lately.

The cheap combo that can kill me is a popular one. Someone fights against you with a fog ring and the slow spell. So you can't target them and they run around you because you are slowed and backstab you.

And yes Melee + Pyromancy is very deadly if your opponent isn't up on their dodging.

#40 Posted by bkbroiler (1636 posts) -
@Blakemcm

@bkbroiler: @bkbroiler said:

Are there any other stats that matter with shields other than the resists? IE 100% phys resist and fire, etc. Right now I'm using the Eagle greatshield and apart from the better resists I don't see what makes it any better than another shield.

Is there a straight up "defense" stat for them?

No not really, the percentages will take off the origional damage, then it is up to your armor and personal resistances to do the rest of the damage mitigation.

The only real differences in shields are the shield types that determine their weight and parry/ram properties.

Ah, thank you. I'll probably switch back to the knight shield then because I like the parry on it, and IIRC it is basically just as good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.