I have one or more questions about this game.

#1 Edited by NTM (7266 posts) -

So, my brother bought this months ago, I don't remember exactly when, and I played a little bit of it then, but soon after I stopped due to the fact I felt like I had to grind a lot (which doesn't have to be the case I guess), I bought other games, and I felt a bit guilty even trying to progress when I didn't play through Demon's Souls. Anyways, with all of that out of the way, I am playing that now, and I think I'm going to go through it, but there's at least one thing I can think of that I wanted to ask now, I'll have to play it again to see if I have more. Anyways, I want to know about the flasks. How come sometimes often, and sometimes not, while I'm just running around the health flasks refill? Will this keep going, or will it stop after hours into the game? I understand they fill up as you're at a bonfire. OK, I'll be back later to maybe write more into here, and reply to comments if need be, then edit it all. Later.

Oh, have another one until I have to go. Can I get through the game by just being dead the whole time (where the characters face looks burnt/dead), or will I have to summon others while having the chance of someone coming into the game killing me? I remember I did that once to show my brother what it does and to see what it did for myself, I did it, and right then and there, someone came into my game, I blocked, but he wasn't doing anything, like he was playing with me since he could probably tell I was just starting out. Luckily someone else joined and they both fell off a cliff, so I took their souls. I think that can happen, and I believe that is what happened. Or that one guy fell off the cliff and I got his souls, I don't exactly remember, but I do believe there were two people in my game. Anyways! That's my other question so far. See ya!

One more question for now. How many times do guys not respawn? Or are there certain types that don't? 'Cause there was one time when I killed this magic dude that shoots stuff out at you, and when I killed him, then went back to the bonfire, and came back to the area he should have been, he wasn't there anymore. Maybe he was some type of special enemy. I really have to get to know these names of items and enemies.

#2 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Every time you rest at a bonfire you refill your flasks to 5, with the exception of the very first and last one, which give 10 and 20.

There is an option to "kindle" bonfires, that increases the refill rate by 5. but you must be human and it costs one humanity to do.

#3 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -

The stock refills when someone up-votes one of your messages, I believe. Been a while since I played it.

#4 Edited by Paco (113 posts) -

That happens when other people kindle bonfires in that area, or at least that's what is stated on this page: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/estus+flask

Other people Kindling their bonfires in the area will cause an orange "soul" to be absorbed, granting you an estus flask.

#5 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@thebatmobile:Oh I forgot aabout that "I ignored most of the online"! Yeah, you get one everytime someone upvotes your messages.

#6 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

@TobbRobb: I don't understand, I swear you have to get something to even be able to put messages, unlike in Demon's Souls. I never bought the capability. OK, gotta go!

#7 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

I've actually played like 50 hours of this games so far and never bothered finding out why it adds one. I thought I remember reading that you're Willard to get humanity when one of your comments gets upvoted.

About your second question, yes, you can play through the game hollowed. You just turn human for PVP, to summon help from other players or NPCs, or to sometimes get invaded by NPCs for unique items.

#8 Edited by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@NTM: There is a system for voting on good messages that you find. To reward people that actually try to help.

You need an orange soapstone, I think that's what it was called... I don't remember where to find it. As I said, I played most of it offline.

Did you talk to Sunknightdudebro on the dragon bridge? He gives you a soapstone, but I think it might be the white one.

Oh and also to clarify the bonfire thing, you only get UP TO 5 or 10/15/20 depending on how kindled it is. So if you already have 5 you won't get anymore from a fire that only gives 5. But if you drink one the fire will fill up to 5 again.

Yeah you can play through the game without ever going human. It's useful for kindling bonfires though, and summoning help for bosses "if you are a pussy" (joke, I never tried summoning though, It's not that hard really).

#9 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

*supposed to get humanity. Auto correct.

#10 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

Huh, well then. I'm not entirely sure how I receive the flasks out of nowhere. When I started the game a few months ago, I remember just running around and had the full five, then immediately two come, then a third. It happens less now, but it still happens. I like it. Right now I just have to get more fire bombs (or whatever the heck they're called) so I can beat this gargoyle boss faster. I beat one but he had another help him after his health went down and I had no flasks which I was going to go back to a bonfire to get more, or see if one of the shop dudes sold them, but since the guy didn't have anything (as I should have known) and the bonfire would have just made more guys come back, I didn't want to waste the time, so I fought him. I really expected harder, but it's not that bad.

#11 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@NTM: As people said, you get flasks "out of nowhere" when other people kindle bonfires close to you in their game.

You can buy the Sign Soapstone for placing messages on th ground from the Undead Merchant in Undead Burg.

#12 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

@CptBedlam: The only thing I saw anyone mention was that it was because people up-vote your comments, but this makes more sense. I knew where to buy the Soapstone, I did the last time I played it.

#13 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

@NTM said:

@CptBedlam: The only thing I saw anyone mention was that it was because people up-vote your comments, but this makes more sense. I knew where to buy the Soapstone, I did the last time I played it.

The undead trader near the first bonfire in the Undead Burg sells the soapstone

#14 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

As for guys that don't respawn ... rule of thumb especially early on is just simply that if they look bigger and nastier than the other enemies around, they probably won't come back after you kill them.

#15 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -
@drag

As for guys that don't respawn ... rule of thumb especially early on is just simply that if they look bigger and nastier than the other enemies around, they probably won't come back after you kill them.

He is right. The bigger bad guys are generally the ones that will not respawn after you kill them. As a general rule, if the dissolve in white particles and a sound effect results they will not respawn.
#16 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

Hm, OK, well I know everything I need to know about the game. I just had to play and read a bit more. Thanks anyways!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.