Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

I have to hand it to IGN's 24 hour Dark Souls marathon.

• 63 results
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm not a big fan of IGN these days. The seeming takeover by personalities I find grating, the departure of anyone I remotely respect, and all of those incessant lists and babe articles have turned me rather against the website. In the past day I've begun to rethink that. They have been playing Dark Souls from the start for the past 24 hours and it has been extremely entertaining. With nary a Greg Miller, Daemon Hatfield, or Ryan Clements in site.

I first want to say that both Keza McDonald and Ryan Sliva have been extremely entertaining. For hours on end they have kept the conversation lively and the gameplay knowledgeable. I almost get a Giant Bomb feel from the whole thing as they have been actively taking questions from the internet live and talking about non-sensical tangents such as death metal bands. And that's not even mentioning the awesomeness of Sliva's Jim Neidhart beard. He's also been up for the entire 24 hours and has been going strong.

So, I have to take my hat off to IGN. If they can keep doing awesome events like this I might have to reconsider having almost completely written them off. Also, put Sliva on my screen more often. I find him quite entertaining.

Here's the link for the last couple of hours.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that it's Ryan Sliva hosting things. IGN's site is pretty crap for trying to find information on anyone who actually works there.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By bcjohnnie

I think it's neat that they did a 24-hour marathon of this game before it came out, but I honestly didn't like listening to any of those people talk. Might just be my Giant Bomb elitism kicking in, but I have no interest in what those people think of this game.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CenturionCajun

I have enjoyed the random stuff more than anything. Such as Ryan and Keza walked off for a bit and apparently the people they put in charge thought it would be a great idea to kill all of the NPC's to try and build up humanity. Keza's extreme horror at this act has been rather priceless.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Grissefar

I haven't seen it because that's way too spoilery for me, but I'm happy and surprised that they did that live stream and it's good to see that it was entertaining.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By strainedeyes

Man, their streaming video is awful. It keeps looping randomly.

Dangerlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Dangerlove

I will never hand it to IGN.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CenturionCajun

@Geo7877: I've had that happen a couple of times but only for a few seconds.

@Grissefar: I don't really have so much of a problem with them showing the first section of Dark Souls as I would most other games. The story in Dark Souls isn't really the thing. I can understand if you want to go into things fresh.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

Watching a 24 hour stream seems like a good way to ruin the game for yourself, no thank you! The Quicklook was enough.

...I probably would watch it, if Giantbomb were to do one...

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun

@RockmanBionics: I shake my head at you sir. *shakes head*

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By rockinkemosabe

We all know the true marathoner is the one and only Greg Kasavin when he did the Oblivion marathon and had to stop only because the fire alarm went off.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SteamPunkJin

@Grissefar said:

I haven't seen it because that's way too spoilery for me, but I'm happy and surprised that they did that live stream and it's good to see that it was entertaining.

I avoided the QuickLook for this reason in addition to IGN's 24hr stream. The trailers are one thing, but straight up gameplay is going to ruin some little moments in DS.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

@RockinKemosabe: That's rather impressive. I doubt that's still on the internet to be watched. I suppose I shouldn't mention now that they've been hinting that since this has gone so well they might do another of these for a certain open world fantasy RPG related to Oblivion.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phantomzxro

yeah as a fan of ign i think it was great i did not watch too much of it because of spoilers but i think it was a really cool thing to do.  

@bcjohnnie said:

I think it's neat that they did a 24-hour marathon of this game before it came out, but I honestly didn't like listening to any of those people talk. Might just be my Giant Bomb elitism kicking in, but I have no interest in what those people think of this game.

Seems weird to me since the giant bomb team as never really liked demon souls all that much to begin with. Vinny was the only good sport in playing it, i have to hand it to matt rorie for being the only one who seems to like the game. Also keza was one who reviewed demon souls early and gave it a 9 (not for ign mind you) which helped put it on the map and made people import it over to the states. Everyone has their taste and all but just a weird use of your giant bomb elitism when giantbomb are not the biggest fans of the demon soul/dark souls game.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grissefar
    @CenturionCajun said:

@RockinKemosabe: That's rather impressive. I doubt that's still on the internet to be watched. I suppose I shouldn't mention now that they've been hinting that since this has gone so well they might do another of these for a certain open world fantasy RPG related to Oblivion.

They should let a false fire alarm go off to end the show at the 23th hour.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grissefar
    @SteamPunkJin said:

@Grissefar said:

I avoided the QuickLook for this reason in addition to IGN's 24hr stream. The trailers are one thing, but straight up gameplay is going to ruin some little moments in DS.

That's a shame because it's actually one of the best Quick Looks ever made.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By benjaebe

I watched a bit of it, the hosts seem pretty cool. Didn't want to watch too much for fear of spoiling the game though. If they archived it i'd totally watch it later.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CenturionCajun

Giant Bomb just seemed like many reviewers who when Demon's Souls appeared they just thought it was a quality, but completely insane, Japanese RPG. They seemed to be much more open minded when Rorie, Vinny, and Brad were doing their Dark Souls Quick Look. On the other hand I have heard almost nothing but general disdain for Demon's Souls from Greg Miller and Daemon Hatfield whenever it is mentioned. Granted they are only two of the editors at IGN but to me they seem to be the figureheads of the organization more and more.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Vonocourt

@CenturionCajun said:

I believe they chopped it up and made a best of video.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Questionable

So... They are on voice chat (with the publisher?) to co-ordinate co-op play because they can not solo the current boss.

Seeing as the game has not released yet i cant really blame them for it.

Its a crime they make their viewers look at them failing for over half an hour at failing to pass a summon because they dont have a open internet line available. this is 2011 people just order youre ISP to plant a second line for 20/month or ask youre IT to setup a DMZ for fuck sake. but i guess they enjoy torturing their consumers too much.

Also they are reading twitter during this and when a guy asked what humanity does they just rant for 5 minutes how it does not raise youre statistics without ever mentioning what it DOES do.

After witnessing this i totally dont find it strange that these are the same people who thought it was a good idea to perma kill friendly merchants for this humanity while not even know how it benefits them.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Simplexity

I see they have started to program "personality" into their Robotic androids over at IGN, we are all doomed.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think it's more that they are in a giant office building that has its own heavy firewalls in place. Plus I'm sure someone like IGN is constantly being attacked by various hackers. It does suck that the last few hours since I woke up have basically been them stuck on this final boss. For the first twelve or so they were chugging away and it was grand.

As for voice chatting with the publisher I think it's more the publisher wanting the marathon to continue to go smoothly so that the game looks good and not horribly frustrating. So far these extreme internet issues arn't really helping their case. I think this is a situation of grinding out some Soul Levels would help but they are on such a short timer that they are just trying to power through.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rockinkemosabe

@Vonocourt said:

@CenturionCajun said:

I believe they chopped it up and made a best of video.

Yeah, it bummed me out that they never archived the entire stream.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By nohthink

People people, We all love Giant Bomb. That's the reason why we're part of this community and visit here everyday. But let's not dismiss other websites out of the fanboyness. IGN has its own perks that Giant Bomb does not have and Giant Bomb does some other things better than IGN does.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CenturionCajun

@nohthink: Agreed. As I stated in my opening post I generally can't stand IGN's incredible corporate and frat boy behavior. This live stream has been amazing because it feels more like something that Giant Bomb would do than IGN. So, maybe they are learning. We should encourage that.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By alternate

They did the 24 hours in one go? Impressive. Makes Tested podcast seem easy in comparison. I imagine they could barely see after looking at the screen for that long.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CenturionCajun

@alternate: Yep, they are now in the final half hour or so. Granted they have been passing the controller around and people have been rotating through but Ryan Sliva (or the guy I believe is Ryan Silva) has been there for the entire thing.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kishinfoulux

Casey made the stream almost unbearable. They need a new EIC because this guy isn't a keeper.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jozzy

Thanks, watching the last bit and it's very interesting. They were fighting a duo of bosses that was really intense.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By devilzrule27

@CenturionCajun: You mean Casey Lynch?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Don't care for em, but hopefully other sites will slowly see the light and lighten up a bit more.

On a sidenote, why doesn't Kotaku just die? Those incompetents have been slithering into tv shows and other crap now, best stop them now before the corruption spreads.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CenturionCajun

@devilzrule27: Is that the guy with the pointy beard? I honestly have been having trouble figuring out who anyone is.

Also, Greg Miller showed up a little bit ago so things have instantly gotten worse.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By devilzrule27

@CenturionCajun said:

@devilzrule27: Is that the guy with the pointy beard? I honestly have been having trouble figuring out who anyone is.

Also, Greg Miller showed up a little bit ago so things have instantly gotten worse.

yeah, i believe he is their editor in chief. I've had trouble keeping up with all the changes they've had on staff. Took me a while to figure out who he was when i started watching.

Also i don't mind Greg Miller.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CenturionCajun

@devilzrule27: It's not so much that I mind his opinions as it is his over the top frat boy personality. All of the yelling and attempts at being hilarious can seem incredibly forced. I also am not very happy that he and Daemon Hatfield seem to be on the way to the top of IGN when other editors I enjoy much more have been shown the door.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jozzy
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, I have to say that was thoroughly entertaining. Here's hoping that they archive it so I can see the parts I missed when I was either working or sleeping. I am actually looking forward to seeing if they do one of these for Skyrim as well.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By devilzrule27

@CenturionCajun said:

@devilzrule27: It's not so much that I mind his opinions as it is his over the top frat boy personality. All of the yelling and attempts at being hilarious can seem incredibly forced. I also am not very happy that he and Daemon Hatfield seem to be on the way to the top of IGN when other editors I enjoy much more have been shown the door.

Yeah I can't stand Daemon Hatfield. I do miss the Bozons, Dunhams, Roepers, and Goldsteins of IGN

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CenturionCajun

@devilzrule27: Perhaps my biggest problem with IGN is the "new G4" feeling of the whole thing. It used to be all about the video games but more and more it seems to just be trying to draw in what a corporate officer thinks young males want. Thus you get IGN Babeology, Knockin Boots podcasts, and the like. This live stream is hopefully a sign of a more interactive video game related approach to the community.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GaspoweR

I have a feeling the GB staff is going to do an Endurance Run on Dark Souls...JUST SAYING....

Did any fomer 1Up-now-IGN/Gamespy editors show up in the stream? I'm talking about Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos. I know Anthony does hate the game for a fact but I can imagine he'd show up all of a sudden.

LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LoggerRythm

I watched the whole thing and I can say without a shadow of doubt that while my attitude towards IGN isn't as positive as it used to be, sometimes they do things like that and it reminds me why I liked IGN all those years ago.

It also totally sold me on Dark Souls, that game was fucking amazing.

It reminds me of those old NES games from the past that would beat your ass only to give you one life so you'd have to start all over again from the title screen.

It's definitely a niche title. I only wish I would have had the chance to play Demon Souls way back.

Anyway, kudos to you IGN, for doing something awesome for a change.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By biospank

Can somone tell me where they went after undead church? Because I am stock.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41  Edited By sins_of_mosin

They had better babe pictures in the past. 

I watched this last night and I didn't find that brit lady likeable at all.  Massive backseat driver and just plain annoying. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Doctorchimp

I don't know why anyone would want to sit through 24 hours of a game they are about to play that places importance on being surprised and figuring stuff out for yourself.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Questionable

@Doctorchimp said:

I don't know why anyone would want to sit through 24 hours of a game they are about to play that places importance on being surprised and figuring stuff out for yourself.

The same reason people make pre-orders without added benefits

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#44  Edited By Mystyr_E

I won a t-shirt so something good came of it :D

but yeah, Casey got on my nerves.

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen, send us your twats, your twits, your tweets because I'm casey lynch your beard in chief ladies and gentlemen and we are playing Dark Souls ladies and gentlemen". GRR

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Floppypants

Casey was obnoxious and loopy because he was there for the entire marathon. He kept himself awake by drinking Red Bull after Red Bull.

While I think IGN is complete trash, I thought this one feature was great, which was surprising. They had people playing the game who knew what they were doing and pushed through content quickly, giving a great overview of most of the game. It was very entertaining.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Godak

I tuned in for the last four hours. I know they were up for twenty hours, but...a certain encounter was giving them tons of trouble, and they just could not see the pattern! They have a valid excuse, I know, but...uber frustrating on this end.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vashyron

@Godak said:

I tuned in for the last four hours. I know they were up for twenty hours, but...a certain encounter was giving them tons of trouble, and they just could not see the pattern! They have a valid excuse, I know, but...uber frustrating on this end.

Talking about the fight with the gold guys at then end?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CenturionCajun

They probably would have gotten it eventually but just ran out of time. It was a combination of them being extremely tired, several new people coming in who didn't know the fight, and just running out of time. As I've said before the first twelve hours or so before I had to sleep were amazing. They plowed through about half a dozen bosses with few deaths.

LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LoggerRythm

@GaspoweR: Well the guy that was working on the wiki said something about how Ryan set him up with a wizard class to use for the walkthrough and that tall dude with curly hair showed up at the end. (Sorry I always forget his name) I don't think Anthony ever graced their presence however there were three hours that I blacked out on that maybe someone had shown up?? That's all I remember.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fattony12000

@RockinKemosabe said:

We all know the true marathoner is the one and only Greg Kasavin when he did the Oblivion marathon and had to stop only because the fire alarm went off.

I've been looking for an archived/ripped/stolen video of that whole thing. I've only ever seen the 15 minute highlights thing, surely someone must have captured and preserved a piece of the Greg?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.