I must be doing something wrong

#1 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Ok so I'm level 38 and tried to do some PVP. I got invaded and kicked that guys butt but then I tried to invade some people in the dark wood forest and I got owned. It wasn't even close, all these guys have AMAZING armor and weapons. I can't even comepete. So this has me worried I'm doing something wrong in the game leveling wise. I use a 6+ halberd and uchikatana (sp?) elite knight armor that all 4+ and I have a good grasp on how to fight. Seriously though these guys have the best shit and it's not even fair. What am I doing wrong?

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Zacr81 said:

Ok so I'm level 38 and tried to do some PVP. I got invaded and kicked that guys butt but then I tried to invade some people in the dark wood forest and I got owned. It wasn't even close, all these guys have AMAZING armor and weapons. I can't even comepete. So this has me worried I'm doing something wrong in the game leveling wise. I use a 6+ halberd and uchikatana (sp?) elite knight armor that all 4+ and I have a good grasp on how to fight. Seriously though these guys have the best shit and it's not even fair. What am I doing wrong?

If you go in the dark woods ANYONE can come after you. Even if they are super max level and your level 1. They will come down and beat to to death. What you did wrong was go somewhere you should not have yet. Not aliev at least.  

In a normal time they can only invade you if your close to their level. But the woods throws that rule out the window. You could invade a level 1. Or a level 300. 
#3 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Ah, ok makes perfect sense now. Now I don't feel so bad :) as if this game was not discouraging enough. Lol

#4 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

The other thing is that a lot of players stay low level on purpose, even on NG+ and further. These people have the best armor and weapons and they will be matched with you based on level.

#5 Posted by Akyho (1585 posts) -

@jozzy said:

The other thing is that a lot of players stay low level on purpose, even on NG+ and further. These people have the best armor and weapons and they will be matched with you based on level.

I at 11 taken 20 hours to NOT get to the fabled first bell. I know people can do it in 20 minutes and thats not even the extreme speed runners. So I am playing around there progressing. I get a note I have been invaded! GOOD! I think a nice one on one battle of wits!

No....I am met with a dude that is in huge heavy Armour and a massive glowing sword. Thinking this was just an illusion and not the real deal I dodge and attack....1.....um...ok hit again 1...I kept beating him and getting hits in however all they ever did was 1.........I then decided to run away...the guys hand glows and a fireball is send towards me and I am killed in one hit. If i was going to be cheapened out It of-course had to a pyromancer!

I later found out he had purposely kept his level low and got the end gear stuff to do stuff just like that. Ugh. I haven't gone back to it since. I don't see the point if that is going to happen all the time. I am fine with the games constant fuck you. I am fine with PVP fuck you. However I can change those. I can do better or it was a mistake I wont make again.

But a guy that is end level gear that will just hunt me down till I killmyself or he kills me. I have no power to change that.

#6 Posted by Ghost249 (250 posts) -

@Akyho: Most cases people are still doing either the Bottomless Box Glitch to get their low level characters High End gear from their mule (In terms meaning A character that has EVERYTHING) and transferring item from that to their current character. In general, the BB glitch can be taken as a negative thing that players view as "cheap" or "unfair" (personally, I frown upon players who do that. What can you do if people are willing to go that far?) In the actual player sense, the person who has the "End Game" gear has a sense of superiority and will continue to play so as it is befitting of their personality in the game.

#7 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I'm level 133 on ng+ and still refuse to go into the forest when I'm human. You just get your ass handed to you.

#8 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

I went into the forest as a Human by an accident and then died..

So I made my self Human again and went in with a vengeance, summoned a played in with me and we spent an hour just demolishing anyone who invaded, best part was we got a few of the same people multiple times, and as soon as they had realized it was us they'd just run off into the forest trying to get us to agro every other monster.. still got 'em!

#9 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

I got invaded in blighttown just now. As if being poisoned constantly wasnt enough. I beat queelag and rang the second bell. Boned back to the bonfire, then tried to escape back to firelink......toxic and poisoned, I made it to the firelink with one flask left and no blossoms!! Ran up to the elevator and into the parish only to be invaded!!!!! Bugger kicked my ass, I lost 25,000 souls, fuck blighttown and its crappy framerates and toxicness!!!! GRRRR Just when you think your safe, you get thrown a curve ball. Love this game

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Zacr81 said:
I got invaded in blighttown just now. As if being poisoned constantly wasnt enough. I beat queelag and rang the second bell. Boned back to the bonfire, then tried to escape back to firelink......toxic and poisoned, I made it to the firelink with one flask left and no blossoms!! Ran up to the elevator and into the parish only to be invaded!!!!! Bugger kicked my ass, I lost 25,000 souls, fuck blighttown and its crappy framerates and toxicness!!!! GRRRR Just when you think your safe, you get thrown a curve ball. Love this game
You know you can just go pick them back up right? 
#11 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

Level 368... and I try not to be a dick. I want everyone else to enjoy it as much as I have.

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4031 posts) -

@Zacr81: If you boned back to the bonfire then why didn't you just rest at the bonfire to remove the poison and toxin?

#13 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

Here's a fun way to get some revenge in the Dark Woods, which was done to me, and then I did to others. Use the fog ring, the hornet ring, the Hush magic, something like a +5 lightning bandit knife (bandit knife has the highest crit rating), and something like the black leather armor. This will make you physically very hard to see. The idea is to take advantage of the very low visibility of the dark woods, and play phantom with your forest invaders, hunting them down in reverse and killing them with your boosted back stab damage.

It's a rather ingenious use for the fog ring which has pretty much fallen out of favor otherwise, and fits the theme of the area: hunting and being hunted.

#14 Edited by Tesla (1905 posts) -

I've got a pretty good record as a human in the forest. I don't know exact numbers, but I feel like I get more kills than deaths.

If someone is rocking end game gear at a low level and invading, they will be doing so with a certain amount of over confidence. Use this against them. The forest has lots of trees. I like to turtle up and appear meek, then dance with them until they are in a less than favorable position, and launch a +15 great fireball to bring their egos back down to earth.

Once you get that first big hit in against someone used to just thrashing dudes, they tend to fight carelessly from that point on.

In conclusion, gear matters, but not as much as positioning and timing.

#15 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Here's a fun way to get some revenge in the Dark Woods, which was done to me, and then I did to others. Use the fog ring, the hornet ring, the Hush magic, something like a +5 lightning bandit knife (bandit knife has the highest crit rating), and something like the black leather armor. This will make you physically very hard to see. The idea is to take advantage of the very low visibility of the dark woods, and play phantom with your forest invaders, hunting them down in reverse and killing them with your boosted back stab damage.

It's a rather ingenious use for the fog ring which has pretty much fallen out of favor otherwise, and fits the theme of the area: hunting and being hunted.

That sounds like a ton of fun, great idea. Couple more days till I get sucked into this game again, now on the PC. Did a testrun the other day on the 360 and man was I rusty :)

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4031 posts) -

@Turambar: I had someone do that to me in Dark Anor Londo. About 20 minutes later I invaded him again and there was another invader in there. We spent 20 minutes searching for him. I eventually spotted him hiding behind a pillar following us and waiting for us to separate. Not being able to communicate to my fellow invader he kept going and I stayed in a stale mate long enough for my fellow invader to finish his lap around the area and to see me make a charge at the host. We were able to easily gang up on him. With the ring of fog strategy it is pretty much over once you are discovered.

#17 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

I got poisoned on the way out of blighttown, and the firekeeper in the firelink is gone after queelag is killed. And yes I know I can get then back, i just died again getting out of blighttown.....

#18 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Zacr81: Here's the difference between invading others and getting invaded: you can only invade players that are below your SL. If you invade others, the SL of the invaded player is higher than yours. That might explain some of the differences that you're experiencing.

#19 Posted by TRSJabber (26 posts) -

I briefly joined the Forest Hunters covenant when I was around Soul Level 50. The first time I was summoned to defend the forest, the person I was invading did not appear to have any armor on but was lugging around a massive sword that looked to be longer than he was tall. Before I realized what was happening, he sprinted at me and attacked, killing me in one hit. I revived at the bonfire, restored my human form and was summoned again almost immediately by the same guy. He killed me almost as quickly as the first time. I tried to block his strike with my shield but the hit was so powerful that it staggered me and he finished me off with a second hit. So, due to my awful skill at PvP, I am no longer a member of the Forest Hunters covenant. I'll stick with the co-op covenants. They are more my style.

#20 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Akyho: I would reccommend going back and simply not turning yourself human. That's how I play it, I only ever turn myself human if a boss is just too hard for me so I hope to bring in some help, or if I have a bunch of humanity and wan to increase the amount of flasks a bonfire gives me. Other than that though, I really don't see much gain with being human most of the time anyway (the in-game invasions you miss which give you equipment never seemed to me like a great deal anyway - usually finding my build with the black knight armour and a physical push with a large club to outclass them easily.

@mosespippy said:

@Zacr81: If you boned back to the bonfire then why didn't you just rest at the bonfire to remove the poison and toxin?

If I'm not mistaken, you can't rest at the bonfire while you have been invaded which would heal the poison; so it may be that when warped back to a bonfire, the original invader was still around somewhere to block the use of bonfires.

#21 Posted by Eviternal (191 posts) -

@Zacr81: Lightning weapons and pyromancy are level independent, so long as the player has the basic stats to wield them (strength/dex/attunement).

In all seriousness, I'd suggest just playing offline and enjoying the game that way if PvP is ruining it.

Also, if you're finding a particular area to be a chore, head in a different direction. In my first playthrough I struggled through a tough area only to discover I wasn't meant to have cleared it until much later. On the upside, I was now better trained and equipped for the areas I was meant to head through, and most of the game was a breeze from that point.

#22 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Just to be clear im not complaining about it at all, Im just trying to learn more. I bought this game for a challenge and its def doing that lol. I was just fooling around with pvp and seeing how it works. Most of the time i am hollow and dont run around in human form. I was just trying something different. I was thinking of just invading people to get a lot of souls and upgrade my weapons and armor more. Clearly that didnt work..... Lol Well im off to sens fortress, those lizard things are a bit**

#23 Posted by Akyho (1585 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Akyho: I would reccommend going back and simply not turning yourself human. That's how I play it, I only ever turn myself human if a boss is just too hard for me so I hope to bring in some help, or if I have a bunch of humanity and wan to increase the amount of flasks a bonfire gives me. Other than that though, I really don't see much gain with being human most of the time anyway (the in-game invasions you miss which give you equipment never seemed to me like a great deal anyway - usually finding my build with the black knight armour and a physical push with a large club to outclass them easily.

Thats the thing!!!! I had fought my way to the boss and was killed. Knew about humanity and all that, decided to get it for the boss. On my way I get invaded and that BS happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.